FOV slider

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

Someone posted up a video of what it would look like if the FOV of Guild Wars 2 was 100 instead of 65. After watching it, I think it does overall give a better experience. It’s disappointing you are allowed to run three monitors to obtain a 180 FOV, but can’t simply increase the normal FOV to 100 on a single monitor.

(edited by arcaneclarity.5283)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoulBurn.7596

SoulBurn.7596

This. Many times this.
When I played GW2, I always felt like I can see only a tiny part of my surroundings which is a shame considering how beautiful the game is.
FOV definitely explains it.
This is a PC game, PC games are usually played on a computer screen close to the viewer – a small FOV is like looking through a tube, causing nausea.

Please make an FOV slider that goes up to 110 (or even 130 for the extremists).

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I am affected slightly by the nausea of a low FOV. If I could set the FOV to 90, I would be able to easily handle longer play sessions.

A FOV of 100, like in that video, is a bit high to be comfortable with my current setup. Still, I can easily see how other people would have setups that are comfortable with higher FOVs, so they should be supported.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: DougM.2305

DougM.2305

Yes, please consider an FOV slider. More options are almost always good.

Hit me. I dare you.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Richter Belmont.3258

Sir Richter Belmont.3258

i am not sure what you are asking, because i have it higher than 100 by A LOT, dono never measured.
i was looking at the video, 100 is seriously small, you want it to be 100 O,o

go to graphics and use max camara hight and strool with your mouse.

I am posting this from work, i will take a screen shot later from my house and show the dif, but if your playing at FOV 65 check your graphics card if it is updated or run things at max, cause i would understand that would be annoying

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cayafas.8290

Cayafas.8290

Belmont, it’s not how far it’s zoomed in, it’s the degrees of width you can see. Check out wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games. You don’t have it at higher than 65 degrees, because you can’t.

So yes, please please please, arenanet, can we have a FOV slider? It’s currently rather uncomfortable to play on a big screen. There’s no unfair advantage in PvP either, given that it’s already allowed to use multiple monitors to get a bigger field of view, or to play in a window.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Richter Belmont.3258

Sir Richter Belmont.3258

so i didnt understand the point thanks for the link, i will check it when i get back,

cheers

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kubi.2316

Kubi.2316

I support this message… and I’m pretty important so you should listen to me

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: zerorelative.3104

zerorelative.3104

I agree, please add option to specify desired FOV. It would also be nice if we could alter camera angle (POV) in all dimensions, not just a few degrees left and right. This would be a locked angle, not the free camera option which is tedious to keep up with.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeffy.3984

Zeffy.3984

This. Many times this.
When I played GW2, I always felt like I can see only a tiny part of my surroundings which is a shame considering how beautiful the game is.
FOV definitely explains it.
This is a PC game, PC games are usually played on a computer screen close to the viewer – a small FOV is like looking through a tube, causing nausea.

Please make an FOV slider that goes up to 110 (or even 130 for the extremists).

Since you said everything I was thinking, I’m just going to second this.

I sometimes play for 10 or so hours a day (I take breaks, obviously. No, I have no life.) and the FOV problem definitely explains why my migraines have come back. :[

Zeffy | Asuran Guardian~

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katulobotomia.7863

Katulobotomia.7863

I would really like to see a FOV slider as well. Currently I can’t really play the game for more than 20 minutes without feeling vertigo or nausea :/

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

I think this, after account security, should be their first priority now.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

It is becoming very frustrating, I don’t think it is a hard thing to implement.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: rucser.5140

rucser.5140

Anet.. come on son. you know and we all know that players have been using FOV 90 for close to a decade now, it’s an industry standard. just stop trying to get all ‘different’ on things like ui and camera, etc.. those are things you DON’T NEED TO BE MESSING WITH, especially if you’re going to do it wrong, like you have been in GW2 so far. it’s OK to copy the camera and ui from WoW, Blizz got it right… stop trying to reinvent the wheel, and just do what you do best: creating immersive, beautiful worlds.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Two videos to explain what Field of View is, and why having the wrong FOV is a bad thing.

(edited by Snoring Sleepwalker.9073)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vulpix.4580

Vulpix.4580

Come on ArenaNet, lots of people are unable to play this game because of the horrendous FOV. Please allow us to adjust our desired FOV.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Graevarg.4871

Graevarg.4871

I concur, if everybody has the same FOV range, players can choose what they want with no penalty to anybody else. In the same vein, I’d like to go into 1st person sometimes I am wandering the world as a PVE explorer. I get the tactical disadvantages, but if I just wass “see the world” as if I was there, why not let me. No designer decision will ever be better than giving players a choice.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kilborks.9821

Kilborks.9821

When I first started playing I felt really overwhelmed wondering why I felt like I couldn’t see anything. It was really difficult to deal with and made me feel sick. The FOV definitely was the problem, and I agree there should be a slider that at least goes up to 90.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silentkitty.4597

Silentkitty.4597

yes please. The FOV in this game right now is horrible

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

An easy to understand image about FoV in video games

The player hasn’t moved. He’s in the same position in each example.

The shack by the lake looks like it’s merely feet away with a FOV of 55-65, but when you change the FOV to a more realistic 85-95, you see that the shack is actually many meters away from you.

This causes problems in GW that you must constantly look at the red bar under your skills to see if you’re in range, where if the FOV was higher, you would be able to judge the range more accurately.

The draw distance (how far you can see) is the exact same distance regardless if the FOV is 55 or 200. The game just renders it differently. (200 is extreme and for illustration purposes only)

And because people refuse to believe the player hasn’t moved backwards in each FOV example, let me reiterate as many times as it takes to sink in:

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

I wish they would just take those 5 minutes of their time to increase it, or take 15 minutes to make a slider in the options menu..

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Havoc.4072

Havoc.4072

Don’t know if 100 is the best number but I really wish they would change the current one.

I’m getting disoriented a lot and I look at the mini-map more than I do at the screen =(
But I think the worst part is that we can’t see the map.
We are looking at the ground most of the time and if you want to look up you have to lower the camera all the way down to the ground.

To put it nicely, the camera is annoying.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaveSalamander.9150

CaveSalamander.9150

Here’s an ingame example of how even the window size affects you FOV: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10s0zl/please_adress_the_fov_issue/

I’d love to even have a set number option, like 60, 70, 80, 90 or something- I just cannot stay zoomed in for too long as is because I feel my sight is limited if I don’t zoom fully out.

My quest is to find the dorito.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: decoy.9037

decoy.9037

+ support for another FOV thread
ANET taking notice yet?

If not a slider, at the very least can ANET say they’ll allow people to edit the FOV themselves in the appropriate file with no fear of ban?

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

Have at it devs lets get this done please.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Powersource.8493

Powersource.8493

Pleeeeeeease, my screenshots are so tiny

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: psihopatbambi.5039

psihopatbambi.5039

I came here just to say, PLEASE!

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tanis.4091

Tanis.4091

This needs to be added and we need a response from Arena Net.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Not sure why this hasn’t even been commented on by devs considering the option already exists in one of the gw2 addresses since the FOV “hack” people are currently using just goes in and finds an existing address and changes it.

On top of that, it is possible to get a larger FOV through ATI video cards and eyefinity or by changing your game to windowed mode and dragging the window so there is less vertical space but the same horizontal space (thus being forced to play with a “smaller screen”).

It’s obvious this is an easy fix that could make it into any patch which affects both the enjoyment and health of a large amount of players. PC games having a FOV slider or at the very least console command or .ini file is a norm these days, I can’t remember the last time I actually played a game with horrible 65 FOV.

Conclusion: Please add a slider from 65 – 100 FOV at least.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: gibb.3429

gibb.3429

FOV adjust NOW! =)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: yawg.4172

yawg.4172

Dear ArenaNet:

I’m the 1%, one of the few who are fortunate enough to play on 3 monitors in a 5040×1050 resolution making my FoV incredibly huge. My guildmates, roommate and girlfriend all suffer from not seeing an enemy or the entrance to a cave or other various things that comes with the reduced FoV they are allowed to work with. The experience is truly different with even a slightly higher FoV and the difference is much more enjoyable.

Please consider adding an FoV slider!

Thank You!

Yawg
Ready and Willing Knights [RAWK] Leader – Founding Member (10 Years of GW!)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

There is already a third party hack that allows people to change the FOV, so I’m not sure why ArenaNet is hesitating to implement this feature. This issue is something that affects player health, not just overall game satisfaction.

Which means that unless ANET does give us the ability to change it, people will have to chose between nausea or breaking the EULA. Following the rules should not make people nauseous. But, with no FOV slider, that is exactly what it will do.

Though I don’t think a slider is the best implementation, especially a slider without numbers (like most of the sound sliders). A small text box that you type the desired FOV number in would be better.

Don’t know if 100 is the best number but I really wish they would change the current one.

The best FOV depends on your setup. If the width of your screen is the base of a triangle, and the distance between your eyes and the screen is the height, then the best FOV for you is the angle at the top of the triangle.

For me it’s approximately 90 degrees. For you I can’t say without knowing your setup.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

The best FOV depends on your setup. If the width of your screen is the base of a triangle, and the distance between your eyes and the screen is the height, then the best FOV for you is the angle at the top of the triangle.

The best FOV depends on you, whichever FOV allows you to play without headaches, nausea (having to hold your breath because you might vomit), dizziness, having to lay down for a day because your brain feels disoriented, or wanting to beat up the computer screen in a rage because it’s too difficult to see distances accurately or not having enough room to breathe makes you claustrophobic and feel like your body has to fight it off.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bizzle.3495

Bizzle.3495

A thousand times yes. This is sadly the most overlooked option in gaming today, even worse on consoles than PC. Nothing is more important that your eye view of the world you interact with, more options to enhance that view are the way to go.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rune Jairusion.4610

Rune Jairusion.4610

Fully agree, this option would be really nice.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Honestly, you’d think they would WANT a higher FoV. With a low FoV, your world feels cramped and smaller than it really is.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phaedra.2308

Phaedra.2308

This would be really nice to have. It makes everything feel less cramped, and helps a lot with motion sickness during play.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shai.8409

Shai.8409

Showing my support of this as well.
FOV slider definitely is needed or default FOV should be increased to the standard 90 degrees that’s normally used in PC games.

Why do you build such an awesome world and then lock me into this miserable FOV so I can hardly see it, get motion sick while playing in it and will have to resort to play in windowed mode, use a hack or buy additional 2 monitors to get what was considered a standard nowadays?

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vingy.6217

Vingy.6217

I support this as well. I can’t understand why Arenanet haven’t commented on any of these FOV requests yet…

FOV slider

in Suggestions

bwillb.2165

Played with about 95fov for a few hours tonight by uhh totally legit means. Like, 3 monitors, or something. Yeah. Anyway, it was amazing. It’s like a whole new game. I was even less worried about crap like DR and other issues when I had the high FoV to placate me.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: SavageCore.2063

SavageCore.2063

Would love FoV slider.

Founder of Brothers of Aesir [EU Desolation]

brothersofaesir.eu

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cantide Colorless.7048

Cantide Colorless.7048

I am playing on 4:3 monitor – i would really love to have FOV slider (instead buying new monitor or getting 3 monitor setup).

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: InStars.5643

InStars.5643

It should be fine as long as it’s disabled for PvP, because it gives a small advantage.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Strifey.7215

Since all the suggestion threads and high trending threads on reddit don’t seem to be getting Anet’s dattention on a simple issue, there is a tool to change the FOV in GW2 using a KNOWN GW2 address that already exists in the game.

I’m not going to post the link, but if you go search r/GuildWars2 for ‘FOV’ it should be pretty easy to find the link in a thread that has almost 500 comments.

Hopefully if tons of people start using it they do something about it since it is something that
1. Affects some player’s health and most player’s enjoyment
2. Is typical for PC games to have a way to adjust FOV or at least make it 90 default
3. Offers no advantage or automation which has basically been their stance on other mods even though they can’t “ok” things.
4. Is a relatively easy thing to add into the game for all players

I mean it’s a simple camera change, I can’t imagine no dev has seen all the posts on FOV to even give a comment.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Strifey.7215

It should be fine as long as it’s disabled for PvP, because it gives a small advantage.

And that makes no sense, pretty much every PC FPS has fov options or console commands to adjust them and games like CS, Quake, TF are the epitome of PvP games.

FOV is a visual option, no different then resolutions or even sound setups. Should we just disable all resolutions except one of them and make it so people can only play in mono sound with no way to change?

Not to mention, as people have said, there are already tons of ways to change FOV that isn’t accessible to all players (eyefinity – 3 monitors) or is annoying (windowed mode with smaller vertical area) or is using a 3rd party program that edits known GW2 addresses (what I posted above).

FOV changes depending on your monitor ratio and viewing distance, correctly displaying the visual area isn’t an “advantage”, it’s called a “graphic option”.

(edited by Strifey.7215)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Truga.5897

Truga.5897

I’m going to keep bumping this topic daily, until we have an official response on this. The fact that I have to put up with 65 fov on a 30" screen in 2012 in a game made for PC is dumb to say the least. It’s understandable (though still unforgivable) in console ports, but on a game developed for the PC? Uhh, no.

I am playing on 4:3 monitor – i would really love to have FOV slider (instead buying new monitor or getting 3 monitor setup).

I feel for you. Good 4:3 monitors are hard to get as it is, and expensive. Getting to see a total 13 inches of land around you in a game because you went for the better/more expensive hardware choice is… I don’t have a word for it.

Ed: I don’t really care if it’s a slider of if it gets locked (for the sake of “balance”), but for puppy’s sake, at least lock it at an understandable value.

(edited by Truga.5897)

FOV slider

in Suggestions

bwillb.2165

Hi, is there an FoV slider yet?

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

YES PLEASE.

I can barely see what’s around me. There have been countless times when I’m engaged in an event or heart and I don’t even realize the scenery around me until later. It’s like I’m in tunnel vision, can’t see enough sky and peripheral vision.

FOV slider

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tanqueray.4837

Tanqueray.4837

+1 to this. Bleedin’ awful views of top fights (dragons, etc) – and the camera doesn’t pan back enough on top of it all. Is this an anti-pvp/wvw touch?

FOV slider

in Suggestions

bwillb.2165

What happened to this thread? It’s completely blank now.

edit: looks like replying fixed it. So… about that FoV Slider…