Fix the Free Travel to Lions Arch exploit

in Suggestions

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Make it so you have to spend at least 10 mins in the Hearts or WvW to use the LA Gate.

Free travel to LA is nothing short of an Exploit in my eyes, otherwise they would have made it free to waypoint there to begin with.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

No! Never! I already spend alot in Waypoints, Lions Arch must be acessible to make it easier connect all arround tyria.

Without that Gate in Mists, help friends doing things, etc… etc.. will get mad since people don’t want to spend too much time walking or money in waypoints.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

So you hate having money then? You could send it to me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“Free travel to LA is nothing short of an Exploit in my eyes, otherwise they would have made it free to waypoint there to begin with.”

O.o

How about we charge people for falling down cliffs into the water when they’re high up since that’s an exploit too.

Seriously, people are aruging for cheaper/free waypoints and you want to add an extra level of annoyance to the game instead?

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoShamBo.2618

RoShamBo.2618

OP is either a sandwich or two short of a picnic or else he’s a trollmeister extraordinaire.

Forever posting in legendary threads!

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Seriously, waypoint costs are not high at all. If you have serious trouble paying for waypoints you are doing it wrong.

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“Seriously, waypoint costs are not high at all. If you have serious trouble paying for waypoints you are doing it wrong.”

I love how this is the answer of most people who just farm arah and rarely if ever move, while the people who want to enjoy the world are staunchly opposed to the idea of waypoint fees.

I also enjoy how ANet keeps saying they want people to leave arah.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

If this is an exploit then literally everyone I know is getting banned.

(It’s not an exploit)

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

I am on my third character and rarely if ever go near Arah.

Waypoint costs are there for a reason. They act as a money sink and encourage exploration. Bypassing all of that IS an exploit whether you agree with it or not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

WP costs are small but they add up quickly and because of how the content scales I can go from being powerful in Orr to being a trashy character in a lower level area. Because of how much I’m scaled back I never, ever feel like going to a place where I’m not lvl 70+

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“Waypoint costs are there for a reason. They act as a money sink and encourage exploration. Bypassing all of that IS an exploit whether you agree with it or not.”

I’ll have to state you really don’t know how that works then.

Charging people to do something deters them from doing something unless they want to.

People have very little incentive to go around outside of orr/a few other locations that give you good reward events.

ANet charges people to move, or tells them to take a sweet load of time getting from point A to point B.

Ergo, it costs money or time to leave orr and stop making profit.

Ergo, waypoint fees are helping force everyone to stay in Orr unless they have a very big want to leave.

Calling a mechanic that helps restrain players in one area “needed” and calling finding ways around it “an exploitation” is, in the end, kitten

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaptainOok.1048

CaptainOok.1048

Waypoint costs are there for a reason. They act as a money sink and encourage exploration. Bypassing all of that IS an exploit whether you agree with it or not.

God I’m so tired of that “travel cost is a money sink so it has to stay” argument. Money sinks are essential to mitigate the inflation etc… yeah I get that, maybe they should even add more of them. But I’ve posted/seen people suggest many reasons why using traveling as a money sink is a BAD idea. I haven’t seen one person explains why travel cost makes sense as a money sink.
And about that “encourages exploration” argument. It is correct only if it’s your first time in the zone. What about if you only want to go back to a zone for something specific? What if they added a small amount of content to a specific zone? What if you want to help someone out? Do a dungeon? Play on an alt? This argument only applies for your first playthrough, after that it just punishes you for choosing which content you want to go back to. Eventually all this encourages is farming.
Please stop repeating the same arguments.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

NO. its the final say from most of the players anyway cause the OP apparently likes waiting alot in hearts of the mists and such then hold a timer and do so , dont ruin it for other players its the cheapest way to go to LA which schould be free in my opinion sinds its the hub town anyway

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Since when is a “money sink” a good thing anyway? Isn’t that a negative that people would prefer to have removed from the game?

See I would rather spend time doing exciting quests and having fun, rather than grind for gold, and then waste it on these so called “money sinks”. That is the opposite of fun.

Many players I know all use the Mists as a way to bypass the ludicrous travel costs, because one short trip can easily cost you the equivalent of one or two quest rewards in silver, and that makes everyone sad.

So why not simply remove the costs?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it’s not an exploit, it’s a loophole. it’s different.

and the best fix is “make all waypoints to cities free”. it saves everyone time, because it’s not like anyone is ignoring the LA ‘exploit’, even to get to their home city (since in-city waypoints are free, and asura gates are free).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

No, the best way to fix it is to stop it happening. It was not an intended feature (otherwise they would have made waypointing to LA free)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

I’m pretty certain I remember ANet saying that they didn’t classify it as an exploit.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Suggestions

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

It’s not an exploit just because YOU say so. Afaik, you’re not a developer for this game. As for encouraging exploration, perhaps they should get rid of all waypoints, eh? How’s that for exploration for you?

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

They should fix the need to “exploit”.

Give everyone a Town Portal skill that can take them to any of the major cities. Eliminate the two-way travel cost.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Why does everyone want to eliminate the cost? The cost is there FOR A REASON.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

There’s a reason for taxes IRL too. Most people don’t like to pay it though. But unlike RL, our physical well-being doesn’t depend on paying Tyria tax. We get no benefit from it (the waypoints will always be there regardless of whether we pay or not). For example, we also pay a tax on the TP, but we actually get a benefit from it — namely, we actually get more money from selling to other people than by selling to a vendor. And it’s effective as a gold sink because all that money is already existing, whereas selling to a vendor creates money in the system. The TP tax is an example of a good gold sink that is correctly implemented. The waypoint tax is a poorly implemented gold sink that only exists to blatantly drain your wealth, and that’s why everyone hates it. Another form of implementing this is to charge you an amount of money every day, or every time you log in. Yes, that would have a “purpose” too, but it doesn’t make it any less stupid. Like the waypoints, they would be unavoidable taxes that you have to pay as a penalty for playing the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Actually this is fine how it is because it is a 2 sided coin. Many times I have found myself in places miles from Lion’s Arch and was bored so I decided to do WvW or Spvp. Only to find out afterwards that I can’t go back to where I was but am automatically sent to Lion’s Arch…….

So in that case afterwards I have to travel all the way back to where I was in the first place. This either costs coins or involves travelling the old fashioned way. If I was already in another town well it then takes up to atleast 2 loading screens. Which is free travel but that wouldn’t matter anyway because I could have travelled for free to lion’s arch fom that town anyway if I wanted to…..so this just adds to my game downtime due to loading screens.

So I think this is fine how it is. Your suggestion will only have people taking up true wvw player slots from people afking for 10 mins to save at most a few silver.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stonehenge.7830

Stonehenge.7830

No, the best way to fix it is to stop it happening. It was not an intended feature (otherwise they would have made waypointing to LA free)

Apparently, it was an intended feature or they would have charged to go to the heart of the mists. See how it works both ways. This is no different from magically travelling to any of the WvWvW zones/waypoints or to the PvP area. The money sink argument is stupid because if a player saves 3-4s per waypoint and ends up with an extra 1g at the end of the day then guess what chances are that will go into the MF abyss like alot of the world economy does now and the 15% trading post funds and so on. There are money sinks already in the economy and 1 more isn’t needed. I would love to save the generally 1g a day of travel expenses, but I like doing the jumping puzzles/DE/dungeons with my friends all over the map. That 3-4s don’t kill me but it does add up and hurts my ability to buy stuff I want and need. Oh and while we are on the subject, how come a lvl 1 can travel to a way point for 10c and a lvl 80 travel for 4s? All characters are the same so there should be a set fee for travel then.

Johanne Timber – [Heap] – Borlis Pass
Stonehenge Grr – [Heap]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

You just invalidated your own argument . If they encourage exploration whouldent you be more inclined to spend time in Arah exploring it?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

They should just make it a flat rate (based on level, I guess) to use any waypoint in the world. I know that would make people less likely to use close waypoints, but they already do that since there is a baseline fee (based upon level) and then more gets added based on distance. I think the baseline fee should just be the fee to get anywhere. It isn’t as though when I’m jumping clear across the map, I say, “Oh, that costs 2 more silver. Guess I’m going to walk the whole way instead.” No, it’s the close waypoints that, with a few exceptions, I won’t use, at least for high level characters, because it’s usually just stupid to spend that money for the relatively miniscule amount of time I will save.

Making it a flat fee would pretty much eliminate any incentive to use the free Lion’s Arch travel in this way, unless you were walking to one of the zones right by it.

I think that the core reason for them having a cost at all is to discourage people from quickly jumping all around the map repeatedly. In that regard, having the cost be based on distance is rather unnecessary. Some say it is a gold sink, but as gold sinks go in this game, it fortunately isn’t much of one, unless, as I said, you overuse it.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

(edited by Signet of Forums.4397)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Keziah.2653

Keziah.2653

@ OP: Best troll post of the week.

That said, traveling was free and instant in GW1. I feel I am being exploited for having to pay ANYTHING to travel anywhere in this game.

Kiz Nyx (Ele) | Kressida Nyx (Guar) | Phaedra Nyx (Mes) | Ylva Nyx (Ran) | Ghanima Nyx (Nec)
[GCI] Calamitous Intent | Sanctum of Rall

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Gas for my car costs money, I can walk too but it’ll take several times as long to get there. I don’t have a problem with WP costs, it’s like calling a taxi or taking a bus. The problem I have is that if I wait to do my story till I’m level 80, it costs a couple of gold with all the go to home city – go here – go back to home city – go here – go to LA – go here – go to LA – go here – go to Order – go here…. etc. During the story you DON’T MAKE ANY MONEY AT ALL. It is 100% expense.

Anyway, at level 80 it’s pretty expensive to travel for those who don’t farm all day long in a level 80 zone, thus not knowing what it’s like to travel anywhere else. A flat fee would be great, it’s not like a caravan is going to come pick me up and take me there, this is MAGIC!

in Suggestions

Signet of Forums.4397

@ OP: Best troll post of the week.

That said, traveling was free and instant in GW1. I feel I am being exploited for having to pay ANYTHING to travel anywhere in this game.

I’ve thought about that, but it’s really quite different. You could only travel to towns and outposts in GW1, and all of the combat areas were instanced. Now this game just has waypoints all over the place to the point where you can get very close to just about anything via map travel.

I guess what I’m getting at is that if they were free in this game, then you’d almost never walk anywhere that you’ve been before. People would just teleport around all over the place without care, which is something they probably want to avoid. In the first game, it didn’t really make much difference, gameplay-wise, if someone wanted to keep teleporting to different towns. That’s not really where anything was going on.

That said, I think they should factor distance out of the equation and make teleporting anywhere the same cost, as I said above, and maybe make teleporting to any of the 6 major cities free.

in Suggestions

Signet of Forums.4397

During the story you DON’T MAKE ANY MONEY AT ALL. It is 100% expense.

Enemies in the story drop loot just like they do anywhere else. You could possibly say that you don’t make as much money, but saying that you don’t make any at all is just patently false.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wreatch.3812

Wreatch.3812

Agree please fix this loophole.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I’ve thought about that, but it’s really quite different. You could only travel to towns and outposts in GW1, and all of the combat areas were instanced. Now this game just has waypoints all over the place to the point where you can get very close to just about anything via map travel.

I guess what I’m getting at is that if they were free in this game, then you’d almost never walk anywhere that you’ve been before. People would just teleport around all over the place without care, which is something they probably want to avoid. In the first game, it didn’t really make much difference, gameplay-wise, if someone wanted to keep teleporting to different towns. That’s not really where anything was going on.

That said, I think they should factor distance out of the equation and make teleporting anywhere the same cost, as I said above, and maybe make teleporting to any of the 6 major cities free.

Well I think having to pay for waypoints has made a big impact on the social aspects of this game, so much so it may as well be single player.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

OP, you misunderstand. Yes waypoints costs are a gold sink, they are also a CONVENIENCE cost. If I wanted to run from rata sum to frostgorge sound to save the waypoint cost I could. But I’d waste 30min doing so. There is nothing game-breaking about trying to save a couple silver on teleports.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I don’t really understand how this is an exploit.

I’ve accepted the fact that WP’s exist for now, and at the higher levels, this is frustrating but it’s something I am doing. LA, however, is the capital of the entire game. It is the best place to meet up with people to do dungeons, to ask people questions when the other zones/cities, etc. are basically empty. It is the social hub. The game basically forces you to go there for those reasons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

If it was an exploit then they would need to ban their entire playerbase. Since its not and exploit your gob wobbling counts for nothing. Just because you dont liek it for whatever reason dont mean its an exploit.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I wouldn’t exactly call this an exploit, but I believe it’s unintended yes.

However, your ‘fix’ is absurd. I’d rather they just change it so that way-pointing to LA is free wherever you are in the world without people having to work-around it by going to the mists in the first place. As the social, crafting, festival event, etc, etc. hub, it makes sense for LA to be free to waypoint to. Additionally, those that are unaware that porting to the mists first allows them a free trip to LA aren’t now getting screwed over by being unaware.

in Suggestions

GADefence.5634

“Why does everyone want to eliminate the cost? The cost is there FOR A REASON.”

Because eliminating the costs increases our fun.

I actually have a hard time understand you. You want them to up the difficulty of temporary content in one hand (ex: Make more/bigger version of the clocktower). Ok fine, I want that but I don’t want it linked to halloween which my friends might not get in time.

Then you want us to add more costs to waypoints for no apparent reason other then you think it’ll be awesome and that going to the mists is an exploit.

Then you want easier class content since people with disabilities can’t move around much and might not be able to play a staff ele in I assume sPvP and WvW. . .

Unforunately, content can’t be easy hard convenient and inconvenient at the same time.

Temporary jump puzzles = easier so it’s possible for people to do it – with or without issues at being bad or disabled – within the time scale. Convenient and easy.

Free waypoints = free. Easier for people to play together and will help spread the community around. Convenient, and helps the game as ANet notes that 90% of the population is in freaking cursed shores.

Ground target = short of reintroducing double target foe, I think it should stay as is. Unforunately, if you can’t move the mouse around very quickly. . . You can’t play the class that requires that. I really can’t explain it any other way here.

Sorry for answering 3 posts in one thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaptainOok.1048

CaptainOok.1048

Guys, please. Instead of repeatedly telling the OP how wrong he is, promote the solutions:
Free-Travel-TO-cities
Traveling-Costs-Have-To-Go

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think it’s exactly as intended. The Mists→LA hop has been there since BWE1; surely they’ve noticed it. You still have to pay to go into the world -from- LA, right? Other than capital cities, which need people willing to go to them to keep them alive, and also cost money to port out of. This just gives you a multi-loading screen way to get there without an initial cost. Plus it facilitates easy movement between PvP and PvE, thus encouraging people to do both play styles.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Hah , you see OP , the problem is , only your eyes see it this way.

I recommend glasses.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aurelius.9012

Aurelius.9012

Only issue I have with the LA travel is people sitting in a WvW zone taking up spaces for those that want to WvW. Should just have a general gate key for Lion’s Arch so you can go directly there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dana Hawkeye.9724

Dana Hawkeye.9724

In Zones that are two or more away from Lions Arch, they should have at least one outpost that has an Asuran Gate tuned to Lions Arch in them.

Scouts of Tyria [SoT]
Gandara

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

As said above, it’s most certainly the other way around the OP’s view : make the fee calculation intelligent enough to understand that if we can go for free to LA using the Mists there is no reason to charge us when we want to use map travel and no reason to force us to go through an artificially high number of loading screen.
I’m no specialist, but I imagine reducing the total number of loading screens may benefit both the servers and the players’ computers, right ?
Same goes for all cities and also for porting from a city to the outside. If it costs nothing to tp from the western side of the city to the eastern side then it shouldn’t cost us more to tp to the outside from the western side than from the western side

(edited by Tauril.8504)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Waypoint costs discourage exploration. They encourage staying in one area.

Phrases I never want to read again include: Money sink, you’re doing it wrong, and carebear.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

oh dont be a carebear . Waypointing is a money sink and if you dont have the money you’re doing it wrong .

You asked for it you know it .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Why would anyone want to keep the travel costs?

If its there for a reason, remind me, what is the reason?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I think I would rather see no travel fees than adding an extra one.. at least, that’s how I feel. If there weren’t any travel fees, I would be less concerned about the optimal route to a point in the game to minimize cost and just go where I wanted to and played.. less loading screens, more time having fun. If I want to go do CM I go to mists, to LA, to Divinity’s Reach and then walk out into Queensdale.. so much loading :*(

Slow down and smell the pixels.

in Suggestions

Posted by: captaincrunch.6731

captaincrunch.6731

I agree that they should fix it….

… by just allowing you to wp to LA free.

in Suggestions

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

So many greedy people here. Is 2 silver really that big of a deal to you?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The stupidity of charging high level players a higher fee in low level areas is a big deal to me.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

My 2 silver is to much for how often I move from points to points. Sure 2 silver doesnt sound like alot but every bloody silver helps. Just like saving every bloody dollar helps in real life, same applies in this game.