Fix the Free Travel to Lions Arch exploit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cinder.4865

Cinder.4865

So many greedy people here. Is 2 silver really that big of a deal to you?

For those who don’t have all the time in the world to play and/or farm? I’m sure it is. Getting nickled and dimed for traveling and attempting to play with friends is a disappointing experience, I imagine.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

You know, I have to wonder… what happens in the off chance that you die without enough money to cover the waypoint costs?

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

It’s free. 0 cash = nearest waypoint is always free. Always empty your cash to a friend if you die before ressing = P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So in that case you really might as well make it free completely. Its just so silly.

Do travel costs make the game more fun? Or do they make the game less fun?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

What I don’t understand is why this issue bothers you so much.

You’ve started out with an accusation of an “exploit” which is an emotionally charged word, to describe an action that’s been in place since the BWEs. You accuse people of not wanting to pay extra as “doing it wrong.” Then you accuse anyone who isn’t excited about your idea as “greedy.”

And how does it hurt you if someone else doesn’t spend that 2 silver? Are you just upset because you see people arrive in the Heart of the Mists and they run away before they say hi? Are you sad because you don’t want to take the time of the extra loading screen to do this Heart of the Mists to LA trip yourself, so everyone else should suffer? Or is it just that you’ve decided that you know what the ArenaNet developers intended, and people are (gasp!) breaking the Rules and must be punished?

Your arguments for this change are less than compelling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

Asura gates an exploit? Pretty sure Anet meant to put those in…

Paying for waypoints is annoying. If we gotta have the waypoint fees, ok, I get that it’s a money sink and everything; but why do they have to be so expensive? Especially for the upper levels, the prices are just too kitten high.

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Maybe we should remove travel cost completely, and then have a special collection box where people can insert 2 silver if they feel bad for not having to pay a fee.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

If you want to fix this “exploit,” a suggestion that I’ve seen on here before that I would rather have is to make teleporting to cities free if you’ve 100% discovered the city. That would fix it without annoying players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

“Seriously, waypoint costs are not high at all. If you have serious trouble paying for waypoints you are doing it wrong.”

I love how this is the answer of most people who just farm arah and rarely if ever move, while the people who want to enjoy the world are staunchly opposed to the idea of waypoint fees.

I also enjoy how ANet keeps saying they want people to leave arah.

I love how you assume that the only ones who share that viewpoint are farmers. I have that opinion as well and I have yet to even run a dungeon. Money is incredibly easy to make in this game; it’s not funny…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

No, 2 silver is not a lot. Why does it matter to you anyway though? Does that “exploit” affect any other player at all in a negative way?

It’s obvious that a) ANet is aware of it, and, b) they aren’t doing anything about it. My guess is because of the general grumblings against waypoint fees they probably left it as is, as a show of support for the community.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

It sounds like the OP’s problem is only the OP’s problem. Here’s a quick way to solve the problem: Don’t use this to travel if you don’t want to. Nobody’s making you do it!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Why?! I don’t even get paying for travelling around, its just such nonsense. I like to explore, I do not need encouragement by sneak petty thieving my money for travelling from one side of the map to the other (4s and 80c!).

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

@OP I agree that it’s weird to have the HoM option and then the wp to Lion’s Arch costs money. I think they should take out one or the other because that’s just silly—it’s basically saying “Oh, well if you didn’t know there was a Asura Gate that leads you to Lion’s Arch in Heart of Mists we are gonna take some silver from you.” So I can see how it’s an exploit due to the fact that people who never go to sPvP land may never know it exists and waste their silver on it. But in regards to the waypoint cost debate which is not really on topic to the thread, I think a flat fee would be great or maybe a diminishing fee, if you waypoint constantly over a short time, it costs less. Idk. I think the fee should stay though to encourage “meh, I can just walk”

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Suggestions

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

Money should not be an issue. Even if you only have time to do your daily, the amount of items you pick up, money from events and hearts should be more than enough to cover a few hopping teleports.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

When it comes to teleporting I play it smart as I try to be frugal with money. Now at level 80 going some place like Orr from Lion’s Arch for example is about 3-4 silver. Anywhere else in between is probably about 1-3 silver. So my way of thinking is this “is it worth it to me to pay that amount of silver to get there just that faster?”

To answer that question I look at a basic thing. “how fast or simple can I make that money back?” Well if I am in orr it would simply take 1-3 events to complete or 1-4 blue+ items or even silver coin drops. So really, if you look at it this way the costs are NOT that bad. It’s very little work put in to get to that place faster. So I think people need to ask themselves that question when they debate paying teleport costs – “will I stay in the area long enough to make my money back?”

Even if you are in lower areas, as I said the events will always pay out 1 silver+ if you are level 80 because they DO scale to your level just like teleport costs do. This I am sure Anet factored in when scaling the teleport costs. Anybody at level 80 can hit Queensdale and do a lot of quick/easy events for an hour or 2 to save up a few good teleports and who knows you just might have FUN doing so.

Now the original post here asks for forcing players to sit in WvW or PvP for 10 mins or some such for bypassing teleport costs to get to Lion’s Arch via the WvW/PvP lobby areas. This I do not agree with. I have never used this method myself and will not either. No I am not super rich it’s just that using that method is 1 extra loading screen to me which I find more boring than earning the money back that I spent on the teleport in the first place. And like I said I always ask myself if the teleport is worth it for me before paying by knowing if I will be in the area long enough to earn the cash back. In the case of travelling to Lion’s Arch back from say Orr, well I check my balance and see if I have earned 6+ silver since arriving there. 3 for the travel there and 3 for the travel back. It’s simple math really……

Well that’s my 2 copper, no not silver – silver is to precious to me that would mean 2 events…..:P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“I love how you assume that the only ones who share that viewpoint are farmers. I have that opinion as well and I have yet to even run a dungeon. Money is incredibly easy to make in this game; it’s not funny…”

. . .

“I am not farming, nor am I running dungeons, yet I can afford me dusk constantly!” If this is not true, do not state it is.

Now, to be honest, can you -regain- the money by FARMING near the waypoint you teleported to? Yes. If you are playing this game only/mostly to farm though, you’ll discover two things. 1) You’ll rarely use the waypoint system, so it will seem fine. (stop arguing on something you never use). 2) You’ll generally stay in one spot (which is why you’ll rarely use the waypoint system. . .)

For everyone else, it’s not. . . Teleport – farm 1 gold – Teleport – farm 1 gold – Teleport – farm 1 gold. It’s generally I want to go here ouh pretty oh how about here hey my friend needs me let’s go do that! You just lost 10-50 silver doing this, especially if you want to go around the map a lot.

Most people are a mixture of 1 and 2 (being forced to turn into 1) or dedicated 1s, with a few dedicated 2s in the world.

1 is unphased by a switch to free – it is neither more nor less profitable to stay in one spot and move, or to use the waypoint system. 2 is helped quite a bit as it means that you don’t now feel like it costs you money to play with friends. 3 is helped a LOT.

in Suggestions

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

TC……how does this hurt you? how does this affect you? if it is just affecting your feelings? TUFF LUCK.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Saxon.1908

Saxon.1908

OK, aside from this idea being ridiculous I have to ask something.

Why do you Care if other people are using this (so called) Exploit. Anet doesn’t care and it’s there game. They made it. If you don’t want to use the Lions arch/Mists shortcut then don’t, but why do we have to suffer for your strange POV.

Seriously reminds me of thoose Fandamental groups trying to tell other people not to do something just because they don’t want to do it themselves.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

There should be a hearthstone-like item. I know, I know, must not copy ANYTHING from other MMOs. ANET needs to be different, even if its worse=)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sparhawk.9120

Sparhawk.9120

The simple answer is just to make WP to cities free. At this point the only city any player or guild can call home is LA because of the way to get there through the mists.

City WP costs restricts RP since it costs everyone to go somewhere for guild/RP events. If cities were free it would increase (atleast our guild) activities for RP.

Besides, making cities free could be a better sink in the long run since most players want to log in a safe place. This would cause players to WP back out to where ever they want to be creating a situation where using a WP become more common place vs trying to avoid them (even if it means loggin’ in a hostile area).

in Suggestions

Posted by: poe lyfe.5879

poe lyfe.5879

lions arch is a gathering area because its free.

Wintersday is for the Charr, also Meatober.

in Suggestions

Posted by: adamian.9638

adamian.9638

Why does OP care if other people are doing it? How does it affect OP? If others are doing it, what does it matter to you?

Some people don’t make sense to me.