Free Travel TO Cities

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: CaptainOok.1048

CaptainOok.1048

This is NOT a suggestion regarding the excessively high cost of waypoints so please don’t make this a discussion about lowering the cost, money sinks and what not…

I don’t know if it’s intended (I really hope that it is), but traveling to Lion’s Arch is always free cause you can access the Heart of the Mists from anywhere and go through the Lion’s Arch portal. By extension, traveling to any major city is free through the Asura gates in Lion’s Arch.
So… all I’m asking is that you save me the loading screens and make traveling to any waypoint in any major city free.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zinthros.6589

Zinthros.6589

Signed. It’s almost a trap for the people that don’t know about HOTM→LA→City.

I also wouldn’t mind waypoint costs being based off of the closest city instead of your current position, but that’s more complicated.

Varamyr Langkron / Kirk Vandergrift
Commander on Tarnished Coast [RE]
Greatsword Ranger before it was cool

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

It is already free.Port to Mists.Port to LA then go where ever you want.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

If it wasn’t clear enough I meant the immediate waypoint cost to each waypoint in a city should be free…

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

What you don’t like waiting during the 5 loading screens?
Yes 5:
1 Go to Heart of the Mist
2 Go through Lion’s Arch HotM Portal
3 TP to Lion’s Arch Cities portal zone
4 Go through “The City you want” Portal
5 TP to the TP you wanted to begin with

Time is money after all (but I feel you pain, the loading are quite long)

(edited by Kethryes.5712)

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Zinthros.6589

^^^ SSD. My loading times are 2-5 seconds long depending on the area. This is a problem that affects people with cutting edge hardware much less than others. I can probably run the gauntlet by the time you finish loading a direct waypoint travel. They should just make it free to do instantly for the convenience of people that don’t or can’t afford to put GW2 on SSD.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

My ram drive laughs at all of you.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Zinthros.6589

Isn’t the client 20 something GB? And here I only have 16GB of RAM. I guess it’s an option for the 32 people, heh.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

Seems perfectly logical to me. Now watch Anet make travelling to the Mists cost. Oh, wait, sorry… I’m thinking of another games company. I imagine Anet already have this one on their list, but probably not high priority. Entirely sensible, nevertheless.

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kira.8695

Kira.8695

/signed

I’m in favor of eliminating the necessity for going through all the ridiculous loading screens to save the cost of travel To the major cities. If you can get there for free by jumping through a few pointless hoops, why not just skip the middle man and make it free outright?

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

yes. it also doesn’t make sense that people with faster hardware travel faster.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: bemo.4598

bemo.4598

I agree, I hate that..

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I agree with this. Not a priority, but it would save time and money.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

Definitely agreed. We can already do it for free, just need to remove some of the hassle.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Isn’t the client 20 something GB? And here I only have 16GB of RAM. I guess it’s an option for the 32 people, heh.

I got 16gb too, and my loading times are very fast. I feel bad for those who have to wait a long time :\

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

It is already free.Port to Mists.Port to LA then go where ever you want.

That’s what I was going to post…and then I actually read the original post.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Signet of Forums.4397

The cost to teleport out of one of the four major cities should also be based upon the closest waypoint to the destination within that city, since traveling to waypoints within a city is free, but I guess that’s probably just being nitpicky, since the difference is so small.

Actually, I thought of this just now: If they implemented the idea of making travel to cities free, then the cost to travel anywhere else should be based on the cost from the closest city, by extension of similar logic. Of course, then everything just becomes super-convoluted, so why not just make travel free like it was in the first game? : D

So obviously the real issue is being able to go to Lion’s Arch from the Mists. They should take that out…except that’s probably the best (only?) way to get unstuck if you should be unfortunate enough to get stuck in terrain somewhere and not have enough money to use a waypoint.

In summary, I don’t know. Whatever.

(edited by Signet of Forums.4397)

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

The cost to teleport out of one of the four major cities should also be based upon the closest waypoint to the destination within that city, since traveling to waypoints within a city is free, but I guess that’s probably just being nitpicky, since the difference is so small.

Actually, I thought of this just now: If they implemented the idea of making travel to cities free, then the cost to travel anywhere else should be based on the cost from the closest city, by extension of similar logic. Of course, then everything just becomes super-convoluted, so why not just make travel free like it was in the first game? : D

So obviously the real issue is being able to go to Lion’s Arch from the Mists. They should take that out…except that’s probably the best way to get unstuck if you should be unfortunate enough to get stuck in terrain somewhere and not have enough money to use a waypoint.

The thing is travelling to the cities is actually free. But takes “anoying” time.

Loading Screen->Mist->Loading Screen->Lion’s arch->Loading Screen->Loading screen->Waypoint the portal zone->Loading Screen->Take portal to the city->Loading Screen->The city.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Calsie.2501

Calsie.2501

Signed. I wanted to quickly show my Dad the starter zone on the weekend, but I had to do the Mists/Lion’s Arch/Portal Hub/City We Wanted/Waypoint at the Entrance loading screen extravaganza first. By the time we’d navigated all those loading screens, he’d lost interest.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sojou.2067

Sojou.2067

Signed. I wanted to quickly show my Dad the starter zone on the weekend, but I had to do the Mists/Lion’s Arch/Portal Hub/City We Wanted/Waypoint at the Entrance loading screen extravaganza first. By the time we’d navigated all those loading screens, he’d lost interest.

Cause you couldn’t, just as a one time thing for the sake of wasting time, ported straight to your destination.

Nope. Too complicated.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Signet of Forums.4397

So obviously the real issue is being able to go to Lion’s Arch from the Mists. They should take that out…except that’s probably the best way to get unstuck if you should be unfortunate enough to get stuck in terrain somewhere and not have enough money to use a waypoint.

The thing is travelling to the cities is actually free. But takes “anoying” time.

Loading Screen->Mist->Loading Screen->Lion’s arch->Loading Screen->Loading screen->Waypoint the portal zone->Loading Screen->Take portal to the city->Loading Screen->The city.

Yes, I know. That’s the basis of this whole thread.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Calsie.2501

Calsie.2501

@Sojou My reasons for traveling the cost effective way aren’t relevant to this thread.

Neither is your reply.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: drao.4291

drao.4291

If this request is implented should also Benefit Anet, as their servers would get less zone swapping requests.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

This makes sense. Having to pay for going to cities only affects maybe 20% of people playing the game right now since most people are aware of it. Maybe those who don’t know about it never entered PvP or just didn’t hear about it. They shouldn’t be punished for it. Plus, less loading screens!

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Peacenote.1698

Peacenote.1698

I would honestly even be happy with the option to set one city besides Lion’s Arch as home that you could travel to for free with a cool down. I feel that right now, for convenience you tend to end up in Lion’s Arch as opposed to spending time in a different city that you might like better.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sojou.2067

Sojou.2067

@Sojou My reasons for traveling the cost effective way aren’t relevant to this thread.

Neither is your reply.

It’s completely relevant. You are complaining about the time it took to travel from A to B, because you chose to go from A to C to D to E to B. Then you are eluding that your Dad lost interest in the game because it took so long.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Willowleaf.5721

Willowleaf.5721

I agree with this. Going to the main cities of the races and Lion’s Arch should be free, should be less trouble that way, and less time wasted.

Necro (LV 80), thief, ele, guardian, engineer, revenant, ranger.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Yup. Keep waypoints as is and let people travel to LA and the 5 cities for free since we can do it anyway…just takes more loading screens.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

This is NOT a suggestion regarding the excessively high cost of waypoints so please don’t make this a discussion about lowering the cost, money sinks and what not…

I don’t know if it’s intended (I really hope that it is), but traveling to Lion’s Arch is always free cause you can access the Heart of the Mists from anywhere and go through the Lion’s Arch portal. By extension, traveling to any major city is free through the Asura gates in Lion’s Arch.
So… all I’m asking is that you save me the loading screens and make traveling to any waypoint in any major city free.

This is so much common sense. I love it.

Spending time in loading screens is not fun. Going to cities free would be a great convenience that we already have, but in a clunky manner.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Neither is your reply.

It’s completely relevant. You are complaining about the time it took to travel from A to B, because you chose to go from A to C to D to E to B. Then you are eluding that your Dad lost interest in the game because it took so long.

Which is the point of this thread. It is free to do already, and it would be stupid to pay money for something that is free. And no one is psychic, so how could he/she know their dad would lose interest seeing all the loading screens (which is an accurate representation of the game) until after it happened.

Chiming in that they should have spent money after the fact is just… it comes off like a jerk to someone who was simply doing what any normal player would do.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: DaWolv.8503

DaWolv.8503

/signed

I wrote it back in the day when there was this giant monster of a suggestion’s thread.
When I’m playing on my computer it’s not a big issue (loading times are about 5-10 sec)
but when playing on my Laptop when I’m on the go I have to wait about 5minutes in total to get to any city (other than LA).

Waypoint costs are fine (maybe inside a map they could be a little bit cheaper when alive) but that is a change I feel is needed

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

Yes it should be free. Although you can go to the mists, LA, then the target city, that is 3 loading screens, which is very very painful on weaker machines. Especially LA which is taking forever to load.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

Yes it should be free. Although you can go to the mists, LA, then the target city, that is 3 loading screens, which is very very painful on weaker machines. Especially LA which is taking forever to load.

Actually it’s 5 loading screens if you want to go to a certain waypoint in a city other than LA.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: kateuk.7538

kateuk.7538

We should have a hearthstone/town portal call it what you will, for free travel to whatever city you set it at. And waypoint costs should be reasonable (or free) and not increase with level.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Yes yes yes. Being able to travel to Lion’s Arch for free would help so much during events, and with people who are trying to meet up. It would also make it a lot easier for higher-level players to get to other zones.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

We should have a hearthstone/town portal call it what you will, for free travel to whatever city you set it at. And waypoint costs should be reasonable (or free) and not increase with level.

I think you kinda missed the point. You can now travel to all cities for free after going through a bunch of loading screens.
And I intentionally want to avoid discussing other waypoint costs here, because that is a more contentious topic.

(edited by CaptainOok.1048)

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“It’s completely relevant. You are complaining about the time it took to travel from A to B, because you chose to go from A to C to D to E to B. Then you are eluding that your Dad lost interest in the game because it took so long.”

. . .

“Here’s your hot dog. You can either eat it right away for an extra dollar, or throw it in the air ,catch it, spin around 14 times, and rub this klenex on your shirt 10 times up and 5 times down.”

“I’m just going to eat somewhere else.”

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

+100. Make this **** happen anet. Fast travel fee is stupid enough as it is.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

+1 this is a good idea, keep waypoint costs…just not to cities.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kenril.7089

Kenril.7089

100% for this ! Ideally, travel should be free to every city, but free travel to your hometown would already be a huge improvement. For a player like me, who loved to hop around outposts in Guild Wars, the outrageous TP costs are a real disappointment…

Count Kenril, Ascalonian Warrior
Legio Umbra [LU]
Piken Square

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sparhawk.9120

Sparhawk.9120

There currently is a suggestion to have a cost or wait in WvW or SPVP to get to LA.

The simple answer is just to make WP to cities free. At this point the only city any player or guild can call home is LA because of the way to get there through the mists.

Besides, making cities free could be a better sink in the long run since most players want to log in a safe place. This would cause players to WP back out to where ever they want to be (from the city) creating a situation where using a WP become more common place vs trying to avoid them (even if it means loggin’ in a hostile area).

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

100% for this ! Ideally, travel should be free to every city, but free travel to your hometown would already be a huge improvement. For a player like me, who loved to hop around outposts in Guild Wars, the outrageous TP costs are a real disappointment…

no no no… no hometown, no hearthstones. Simply free travel to all city waypoints.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

CaptainOok.1048

Besides, making cities free could be a better sink in the long run since most players want to log in a safe place. This would cause players to WP back out to where ever they want to be (from the city) creating a situation where using a WP become more common place vs trying to avoid them (even if it means loggin’ in a hostile area).

Didn’t really understand what you meant there.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sparhawk.9120

Sparhawk.9120

Right now ppl avoid going using the WPs. If they were free in one directions it would increase the overall use of them (free to get to the city, cost to get out); therefore it could cost more for players in the long run.

Similar to resturants/venues saying free valet parking, but makes up the “loss” on the menu.

Free Travel TO Cities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zahrah Rosa.8597

Zahrah Rosa.8597

I agree with this. Each major city should be free to transport to. I am one of the people who has to go through 8 minutes of loading screens to make the WvW-LA-Portals-Destination move. Now, if I had 5 hours a day to play the game that wouldn’t be a big deal but many days I am trying to get the most I can out of 45 minutes and that means I don’t have a lot of time to make money and I do need to get places quickly if I want to be with my guild mates.