GW2 controller support

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: MikeRiv.4031

MikeRiv.4031

Hello there. I’ve been using an xbox controller with pinnacle game profiler to set the skill buttons and it works fine! I can even ground target with ease and stuff, but of course it would be nice if arenanet created a native joystick support like other mmos have.

Nortec (Asura Engineer) / Tunridae (Norn Guardian)
Guerreros de la Útima Alianza [GDUA]
Sorrow’s Furnace

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jiiub.7135

Jiiub.7135

what a waste of time…

Rorgash
Necromancer
[IRON] Gaming

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: aladore.3945

aladore.3945

YES!

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. This game is totally built for controller support. I was shocked when I found there’s wasn’t native support for it.

One of the main reasons for a lack of controller support in MMOs is due to the amount of skills present per class. For instance, in another popular MMORPG, the player has a plethora of skills visually available to him/her all at once.

The pace, and action of GW2 demands greater control. Considering the length of cool-downs and duration of combos fields, you don’t have a lot of time to respond physically; if you blow that small window of opportunity, there’s a bit of a wait until you can do it again – coupled with trying to position your toon correctly for a proper execution makes it almost impossible to perform combos consistently. It gets very frustrating very quickly.

Far too often I’ve blown the chance at a really awesome combo because of the clunky combat interface.

Having NATIVE controller support would definitely make the game-play more enjoyable, and save me from having to shell out a few bucks to purchase a third-party solution.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Jiiub.7135

-.- really people want to play using kittenty controllers instead of the great invention of mouse and keyboard? bah do not waste time on this when we have culling in WvW

Rorgash
Necromancer
[IRON] Gaming

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

aladore.3945

Not sure if you’ve even had the chance to play other “action” mmorpgs, but controllers win hands down.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Jiiub.7135

-.- wow, people like these exists… aiming with controller is so much worse then a mouse, so much slower, soooo much les sprecise and still somehow people like them?.. soo many buttons less aswell…

oh well please use them makes it alot easier for me to kill you in WvW

Rorgash
Necromancer
[IRON] Gaming

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

+1

I’ve tried the aftermarket software to get Xpad support and was not happy with it. It’d be MUCH MUCH better if we had native game pad/controller support.

(When I play I’m sitting in my comfy chair in my living room, dealing with a keyboard and mouse is yucky – trying to SEE the keyboard with my 3D glasses on is really sucky!)

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

aladore.3945

-.- wow, people like these exists… aiming with controller is so much worse then a mouse, so much slower, soooo much les sprecise and still somehow people like them?.. soo many buttons less aswell…

As I said, if you’ve ever bothered to play other “action” MMORPGs then you would know how ignorant you statements are.

For instance, one button to cycle through targets is just as efficient as pressing “tab”.

Camera rotation speeds can be adjusted.

Activating 10 skills with only 6 buttons is more efficient than skirting across a keyboard attempting to manipulate 10 keys.

Don’t believe me? Download Tera, or Champions Online. Give it a go. You’ll see how wrong your opinion is.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sinister Syx.9451

Sinister Syx.9451

I’m all in for this, carpel tunnel get’s worse with age a controller would be a god send after all it works for DCUO why not GW 2.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

-.- really people want to play using kittenty controllers instead of the great invention of mouse and keyboard? bah do not waste time on this when we have culling in WvW

Keyboard are not designed right for movement in games. Using W,A,S,D is just awkward.

The Mouse is quicker at targeting. But lacks movement because of the keyboard.

With a controller I can kill a large mod by myself quicker then with a keyboard. And pickup the drops as I’m doing it using right analog button. But I still need to use the mouse for menus.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deanor The Bold.6590

Deanor The Bold.6590

Using W,A,S,D is awkward Onshidesigns, because you’re probably just terrible at using W,A,S and D.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

One thing that I can note, with a controller. I can do jump puzzles and it seems to me that it feels more like they where made to be played this way, but when I do some pvp I really quickly resort back to the keyboard.

In the long run I would say yeah native support would make the use of a game controller even more fun to play if you could say run and turn while using an analog stick, I might just abandon the idea of getting a new keyboard cause I have worn out the W button.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Keyboard are not designed right for movement in games. Using W,A,S,D is just awkward

Keyboards don’t need to be designed for movement in games, you can just design the movement in games for keyboards.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

Using W,A,S,D is awkward Onshidesigns, because you’re probably just terrible at using W,A,S and D.

With a controller I have better movement and can cast magic while moving. While keeping the target in-front of me the whole fight.

You have to stop moving to cast magic. Unless you are using a mouse for movement. But even then your have to re-position yourself to to cast ranged attacks.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

Keyboard are not designed right for movement in games. Using W,A,S,D is just awkward

Keyboards don’t need to be designed for movement in games, you can just design the movement in games for keyboards.

I only use the Keyboard for typing, Mouse for menus, controller for fights because it has more movement.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

I only use the Keyboard for typing, Mouse for menus, controller for fights because it has more movement.

Did you have 4 hands??? Wow! Hail Shiva!

Anyway…

Controller support isn´t necessary because there are

http://majorgeeks.com/Xpadder_Last_freeware_version_d5282.html

And there are more from where this come. Waste time in the beginning of teh game, with lots of problems, bugs and glitches. And they even develop more content. So making NOW a native controller support is just waste of resources.

And I´m not against they put in, I just think it´s not necessary when there are so many 3rd party freeware that will do the same.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

With a controller I have better movement and can cast magic while moving. While keeping the target in-front of me the whole fight.

You have to stop moving to cast magic. Unless you are using a mouse for movement. But even then your have to re-position yourself to to cast ranged attacks.

Really? Did I actually just read someone say you have to stop moving to cast magic? No wonder you like a controller, i’ve never personally found an issue with pressing “W” and “1” at the same time, but I see now it must be a difficult task for some..

I don’t see how on earth playing an MMO with a controller can be easier then a mouse and keyboard, especailly with lack of buttons and the fact that you still have to use your keyboard for 50% of the features ingame anyway (Invo, menus, heros panel pretty much everything else). If people actually find it easier to use though hey, each to their own. However, Anet have much bigger things to worry about then wasting resources on creating this such as Culling as someone else already mentioned.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

what a waste of time…

Casual players are no waste of time. ArenaNet wants all types of gamers to enjoy Guild Wars 2, so I see nothing wrong with people who just wana sit back, and kill some dragons without leaning over a desk :/

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Theres really no need for them to waste their time with this. This game was made for pc, which uses keyboard and mouse. If you want to use a controller, by all means use it, but that doesn’t mean Anet should break their backs implementing this for the .001% who actually use this. Can’t make everyone happy!

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Theres really no need for them to waste their time with this. This game was made for pc, which uses keyboard and mouse. If you want to use a controller, by all means use it, but that doesn’t mean Anet should break their backs implementing this for the .001% who actually use this. Can’t make everyone happy!

I doubt thats a true value, and more importantly I doubt implementing controller support is “back breaking” work. I had to buy an $80 multi button mouse just to deal with the numerous buttons and mobile fighting style for this game, some people don’t wana go that extra mile just to continue mouth gaping over a desk to play a game. Can’t say this is a priority for ArenaNet but I’m sure they have nothing against adding more ways to play a game, even if it is “worse than using a keyboard and mouse” (kitten oppinion if you ask me)

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

For some they are just elitist players, they think everything must be their way and kitten of the rest. Don´t waste time trying to argue with them. Gamepads are worse than KM but ther´s no problem if someone wants to use a kitten equipment to play a game.

The major problem is the resource and time to do this. They have a lot of things to do at this moment and the implementation of new directinput to accept gamepads cannot be priority at this moment. It just can create new bugs in movement.

At this moment there are many gamepad-KM wrappers. Use some of them and wait for a more stable game to ask for this again. You can even create one using AHK (I see some scripts for AHK that do this)

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

MikeRiv.4031

Oh no, playing with my xbox controller is absolutely comfortable, and I use it for pvp, pve and I do kick kitten I play an engineer, wich means my game play is not what you might say “easy” or “just click” . If you are a fanboy or one of those “don’t ruin the purity of an mmo gameplay” nerd, fine with me. I just think a native joystick support would be great, and of course, if you don’t want to use it, don’t use it. And I bet half of those that claim it’d suck, will end up using it anyway LOL

Sorrow’s Furnace

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

MikeRiv.4031

BTW, Pinnacle Game Profiler is MUCH better than any other controller support for this game, makes it feel natural. But of course a native support would be just perfect.

Sorrow’s Furnace

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Well, the thing here is, as stated by many of you, there are already programs that do this sort of thing for you. Why should Anet bother to make one when there already programs for it? I’m not trying to sound like a bad guy here, however, when you buy a pc game, the expectation is that you play with the mouse and keyboard. There are many more important things Anet could and are working on. When you take a look at many if the features that will be added/ bugs that will be fixed, this issue seems trivial at best. Of course, after all is said and done, I wouldn’t mind them adding support, but I wouldn’t imagine them doing it. I would think it would be outside their scope of priorities.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

MikeRiv.4031

Yes, of course there are more important things than this request, this is just a suggestion. And I don’t think the expectations are always like that when you buy a pc game. Actually, most pc games I’ve purchased are played with a joystick. What you’re probbly trying to say is that an mmo is supposed to be played with a mouse and keyboard, but that’s not quite true, there are some others adding this feature. I think they’ll eventually do it, ppl has to ask for it. The problem comes when by some reason other ppl oppose it, and to be honest IDK why.

Sorrow’s Furnace

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Balderstrom.5809

Balderstrom.5809

I’ve been using a Wii Pro-Stick controller with Joy2Key and AutoHotkey. Was somewhat of a PITA to setup due to how movement is done in GW2 – and the need to constantly manually adjust the camera so you can actually see where you are going.

Assigning the attacks et-al to the buttons was pretty straight forward, when you use some (or all) of the shoulder buttons as modifier keys.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: xeno.8401

xeno.8401

I personally would love some native controller support. I have tried some of the third party stuff but never felt it gave the right control. Native support would be far better.

Oh and for those that are saying they shouldn’t add native support because you can get third party support to use a controller. In that case they should add an in game LFG for dungeons function. We have a third party website we can go to to get that! Its silly to say the answer is third party so don’t need native support for something. Native is better then third party. Good suggestion OP.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

I don’t really mind it since it wouldn’t hinder me as PC gamer, but atm there are many way more important things to do for ArenaNet.

Claiming gamepads would be superior to Keyboard and Mouse is the funniest thing ive ever read tho.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Claiming gamepads would be superior to Keyboard and Mouse is the funniest thing ive ever read tho.

Who said that? I don’t think that meant that it would be superior…more that it would be their preferred method. Which means the same for you, your method will be the superior way for you to play.

Although I don’t think they will add support either, since adding support on the PC game market level means more than tell windows I said its ok… they have to add code for each gamepad that is popular, which is a fair bit more than consoles.

But if they did add it in, native support will always make your gaming experience excel, if you prefer that method. Third party stuff may be ok, its just not as crisp feeling as I think it could be.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

Well, the thing here is, as stated by many of you, there are already programs that do this sort of thing for you. Why should Anet bother to make one when there already programs for it? I’m not trying to sound like a bad guy here, however, when you buy a pc game, the expectation is that you play with the mouse and keyboard. There are many more important things Anet could and are working on. When you take a look at many if the features that will be added/ bugs that will be fixed, this issue seems trivial at best. Of course, after all is said and done, I wouldn’t mind them adding support, but I wouldn’t imagine them doing it. I would think it would be outside their scope of priorities.

I agree it’s not necessary for GW2 to have controller support.

But they can do things to help people customize their controllers. I would like a way to lock and unlock the mouse cursor above the player (reticle mode). This would be good a good option for people with a mouse and keyboard too (makes game play like a shooter).

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

I don’t really mind it since it wouldn’t hinder me as PC gamer, but atm there are many way more important things to do for ArenaNet.

I only said the movement on a controller then it is better then a keyboard. But the precision the of a mouse is better then a controller.

It comes down to Better Movement or Better Precision.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

MikeRiv.4031

Yes, that’s one of the things I assume a native support would improve: precision. As I said before, I can aim very well with the joystick, but it doesn’t compare to aiming (let’s say grenades) with your mouse. Of course, a joystick is not superior to keyboar, it’s just about gaiming style. Had you even given it a try?? Trust me, it’s great. I must confess it kinda surprises me how much some players really embrace mouse and keyboard gaiming style, as if they played ALL of their games like that (BF3, CoD, etc)

Sorrow’s Furnace

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

MaRko.3165

Umm….. there is no “aiming” (AKA FPS) in GW2, there is ‘targeting’. No real need for precision.

Besides, given the choice of attempting to balance a KB/Mouse on my lap while sitting in my comfy chair and straining to make out which key is what vs using a two handed controller – I’ll pick the controller every time.

If you’d rather use a KB/Rodent FINE. That is your choice. Others would just like the option of using a game pad controller.

(BTW: Good luck killing me in WvW – as I have no intention to ever play it)

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

MaRko.3165

Did you have 4 hands??? Wow! Hail Shiva!

Anyway…

Controller support isn´t necessary because there are

http://majorgeeks.com/Xpadder_Last_freeware_version_d5282.html

And there are more from where this come. Waste time in the beginning of teh game, with lots of problems, bugs and glitches. And they even develop more content. So making NOW a native controller support is just waste of resources.

And I´m not against they put in, I just think it´s not necessary when there are so many 3rd party freeware that will do the same.

Not exactly. The titles I’ve played that have native support play WAY better than with the free/paid aftermarket software.

GW2 controller support

in Suggestions

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Because the game feels more like an action RPG, it would be cool a native support of gamepad.
And I’d love to play the game on my big TV with a gamepad.