Game suggestions for GW1 players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Merthax.5172

Merthax.5172

We all knew that Guild Wars 2 wouldn’t just be a remake/update of the original Guild Wars, but it seems that many of the tenets of the original game are slowly being discarded.

Short of returning to the original Guild Wars, what games would one suggest? What games are similar?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

right now I am backing out of traditional MMOs. Prolly check out PS2 on the 20th. But playing with some new mods in Skyrim and FO:NV now.

Still keeping an eye on Elder Scrolls Online but to many things seem like yet another MMO, and WoD but there is very little info on that one.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

Yeah, I’m just casually enjoying the still good parts of GW2 until something else can take its place. Elderscrolls online being the best contender at the time. Hopefully they don’t back out on their principles.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

I’d also like to hear some names

The Iron Butterfly

in Suggestions

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

MMOs? I don’t know of any.

I started playing Assassin’s Creed 3 last week and am enjoying it. Also, to get my fantasy fix, like some other poster, I will return to Skyrim with mods.

I think I am done with MMOs. The sad part about this recent experience is that I finally found one I truly loved in GW2. I am in a fun guild. So before this patch, I had found an MMO that met my needs. Now, with this radical change in product design, I am being eased back into a MMO style I loathe.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

in Suggestions

Posted by: DegoLocc.5976

DegoLocc.5976

LOL, some of you are so dramatical.

What do you want? To hit 80 and have nothing to do? You want to eat the carrot on the stick as soon as you roll your toon?! People like to feel like their character continues to grow past level cap, it’s called end game.

If you don’t like progression and time sink, MMO’s are clearly not for you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Nice observation Sherlock… Did you also consider the fact that many of us came (with reservations) to GW2 because “someone” promised that this would not be a “traditional” MMORPG in the sense that getting to max would not require grind, the rarest items would be unique in apperence, not stats and that the game would not have a treadmill?

Actually I wonder how you landed here? Oh, I also wonder why anyone calls a gear treadmill “progression”? (To me the concept is an epitome of de-evolution, not progress)

in Suggestions

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Nice observation Sherlock… Did you also consider the fact that many of us came (with reservations) to GW2 because “someone” promised that this would not be a “traditional” MMORPG in the sense that getting to max would not require grind, the rarest items would be unique in apperence, not stats and that the game would not have a treadmill?

Actually I wonder how you landed here? Oh, I also wonder why anyone calls a gear treadmill “progression”? (To me the concept is an epitome of de-evolution, not progress)

Couldn’t have said it better.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

in Suggestions

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

What do you want? To hit 80 and have nothing to do? You want to eat the carrot on the stick as soon as you roll your toon?! People like to feel like their character continues to grow past level cap, it’s called end game.

I have been lvl 80 for over 2 months and still playing a lot. Arenanet created a video that made it clear there is no traditional end game “you can do the same thing at lvl 1 as lvl 80.” So that is what I have been doing since hitting lvl 80. Our guild has jumping puzzle and dungeon nights – i attend and do those. I have been working on getting my exotics which until this patch was the max stat gear. I have been working on 100% completion which requires me to go to every zone (all racial starting areas). I have been working on my Exploration titles which is different than 100% (you have to go to additional areas beyond the pois, vistas, waypoints). I have been doing lower lvl dynamic events and group events that I enjoy. I participated in their first content update – Halloween. And I have been doing WvW which I love. GW2 was designed to be fun not be a gear progression bore-fest. No raids, no griefing, no end-game, no stat or power creep. That was the core feature of the game and what was advertised for years. Now thanks to those who hated the core design and content offerings someone at Arenanet has changed the core philosophy and design.

There is plenty to do after you hit lvl 80. However, if you do not like the above content that this game offers then yes, you will be bored. The issue was never that there is “elite gear with better stats” to keep people playing (why does getting better gear have to be the only reason you play this game?). The issue was that some people did not like the content offerings. There are at least 10 different things to do in this game. If you did not like any of them, no amount of gear treadmill is going to keep you playing.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

in Suggestions

Merthax.5172

I’m not being “dramatical” (sic), I’m asking for suggestions on new games that would fit my tastes better. I expected Guild Wars 2 to fit this paradigm since it was sold as a successor to Guild Wars. They said that they were defying the standard MMO formula.

What I don’t understand is WHY GW2 went this path. With no subscription, the incentive of the developer to include grind is gone.

I like the ability to reach a maximum statistic power, and then meet harder and harder challenges…not through increased statistic power, but by smarter builds and more skillful gameplay.

Grind has the following negatives:
-A wider range of character power means a narrower range of content that is applicable to your character. You are pushed down a linear path instead of having a wide world open to you.
-Discourages experimenting with different builds that will require different gear
-Discourages rolling alts to play different professions. You are effectively locked into developing one character, unless you have huge amounts of free time.
-Makes it difficult to get friends to join you, since it will take a long time for them to attain the same level of power that you have
-Punishes you for taking a break from the game, because you will fall behind
-Feels more like work than actual fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zii The Mad.2563

Zii The Mad.2563

I’m not being “dramatical” (sic), I’m asking for suggestions on new games that would fit my tastes better. I expected Guild Wars 2 to fit this paradigm since it was sold as a successor to Guild Wars. They said that they were defying the standard MMO formula.

What I don’t understand is WHY GW2 went this path. With no subscription, the incentive of the developer to include grind is gone.

I like the ability to reach a maximum statistic power, and then meet harder and harder challenges…not through increased statistic power, but by smarter builds and more skillful gameplay.

Grind has the following negatives:
-A wider range of character power means a narrower range of content that is applicable to your character. You are pushed down a linear path instead of having a wide world open to you.
-Discourages experimenting with different builds that will require different gear
-Discourages rolling alts to play different professions. You are effectively locked into developing one character, unless you have huge amounts of free time.
-Makes it difficult to get friends to join you, since it will take a long time for them to attain the same level of power that you have
-Punishes you for taking a break from the game, because you will fall behind
-Feels more like work than actual fun.

Being the heartbroken GW1 player that I am, I feel like a stalker, stalking a old girlfriend (doesn’t feel good). What I mean by that is that I keep coming to these forums, hoping for some official statement that announces that the game is now more like Guild Wars, and less like any other MMO out there.

I keep being disappointed though. It’s clear to me that I’m not the intended audience for GW2, and its that fact that makes me heartbroken.

But I digress.
A game that reminds of the old Guild Wars? Hmm, tough, cause GW1 was pretty unique. I’ve heard that The Secret World has a deep build system similar to GW1, but I haven’t tried it myself. I know there is a 5 day trial though (or something). I’m considering trying it though, but I’d rather not get sucked into something that has a monthly sub.

So without going into the collectible card game genre, I can’t really make any recommendations.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

C9 is about the closest thing I can think of. Depends on what you are looking for.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Zii I think your old girlfriend owes you sixty dollars!

Like you I’ve been considering card games too. Have a couple of friends who play Magic, I might give it a try :-) Never been much into collecting cards so I overlooked that game. Now I’m reading about how to play it!

Hey ANet, could you give me 60 dollars, or send me a bunch of Magic cards?

=^‘o’^=

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Being the heartbroken GW1 player that I am, I feel like a stalker, stalking a old girlfriend (doesn’t feel good). What I mean by that is that I keep coming to these forums, hoping for some official statement that announces that the game is now more like Guild Wars, and less like any other MMO out there.

This post really struck a chord with me, because I sympathize powerfully.

Zii, are you open to considering some unsolicited advice? If so, here it is:

Don’t waste your emotional energy waiting for some official response or trying to ‘make up’ with ANet. It isn’t going to happen, because the relationships you and the developers have vis a vis Guild Wars 2 is different. See, you’re a fan. You obviously have a lot of your enthusiasm personally invested in this game. You want it to succeed because you’re genuinely passionate about the genre, and you want to be a part of whatever defines the post-WoW MMO.

I get it.

But remember that the developers’ relationship with the game is different. I imagine they’re just as passionate as you are about the genre, but they’re professionals, and consequently, they’re professionally obligated to follow ANet’s protocol when it comes to communication. There may very well be a lot of designers who feel exactly as you do about the changes. There may very well be a lot of designers who are really enthusiastic about the changes and want to convince you to see things their way.

Whatever the case may be, engaging the community in this debate is very likely not an option for the developers right now, all of whom are professionally obligated to continue with their work (they’re probably swamped) and avoid risking bad publicity.

I know how you feel, but stalking the forums isn’t going to change your relationship with this game. You’re not likely to get more of a response than we have now. I’m not saying this to be cynical, but out of experience.

My advice to you, and anyone else who feels like you do:

If you’re seriously upset, just put the game down. Don’t make any dramatic “I’m leaving” posts. The game has no subscription, so put it down for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, whatever. Play something else. Try a console game. Try a game of another genre.

It’s good to be critical, but if the recent changes are seriously upsetting you, it’s probably in your best interest to back off a bit and refocus.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Not at all similar in the least, but Borderlands 2 never fails to be immensely entertaining.

User will be infracted for this post.

in Suggestions

cherrie.8907

Actually, I think I’ve found a game yesterday.

I’ve remembered that among all the bad feedback about GW2 dungeons I’ve read a very good post describing The Secret World dungeons and I’ve decided to check it out, and gods, I don’t care about GW2

The bad first
- it’s a subscription MMO
- it has gear progression
- it’s not fantasy genre
- the graphics are much worse that GW2, especially at the beginning of the game (seriously, play through the first 30min because even the look of game changes, at least for me!)
- character models are not as “sleek”

The good
- gear progression seems less grindy than in GW2 now!
- it has a very Lovecraft, World Of Darkness RPG feeling which I love
- it’s a game for manutre audience
- story is actually serious, deep, dark and mature
- skill system is more similar to GW1 than GW2 is – it’s extensive, unlimited. Did you like Magic the Gathering? Skill system is very similar to that, builds are even called Decks!

So yes, ANet, because of your 180 flip, lack of respect and communication, apparently I will be playign a subscription MMO with a vertical gear progression.
But guess what, it won’t be your MMO, because a company that flipped, broke promises, disrespected me and lied is not getting a penny out of me any more; a matter of principle at this point.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

in Suggestions

Posted by: Malefactor.2971

Malefactor.2971

Actually, I think I’ve found a game yesterday.

I’ve remembered that among all the bad feedback about GW2 dungeons I’ve read a very good post describing The Secret World dungeons and I’ve decided to check it out, and gods, I don’t care about GW2

The bad first
- it’s a subscription MMO
- it has gear progression
- it’s not fantasy genre
- the graphics are much worse that GW2, especially at the beginning of the game (seriously, play through the first 30min because even the look of game changes, at least for me!)
- character models are not as “sleek”

The good
- gear progression seems less grindy than in GW2 now!
- it has a very Lovecraft, World Of Darkness RPG feeling which I love
- it’s a game for manutre audience
- story is actually serious, deep, dark and mature
- skill system is more similar to GW1 than GW2 is – it’s extensive, unlimited. Did you like Magic the Gathering? Skill system is very similar to that, builds are even called Decks!

So yes, ANet, because of your 180 flip, lack of respect and communication, apparently I will be playign a subscription MMO with a vertical gear progression.
But guess what, it won’t be your MMO, because a company that flipped, broke promises, disrespected me and lied is not getting a penny out of me any more; a matter of principle at this point.

Just an observation here, but you’re going from a company (Anet) who you feel have gone against their word, indulged in “false advertising” etc to a company (Funcom) that are the undisputed masters of broken promises and lies. They are also a company in very deep financial trouble that may not last much longer, short of a buyout or a miracle.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fritz.5026

Fritz.5026

I find responses like this very single minded. I would personally blame WoW for most of this as its the game that has set the precedent for 13+ million players. It may not be the first, but it had the largest impact.

There was a MMO game called DAOC that had an endgame that was just pvp. It did not have gear progression or better items to get. All it had was realm vs realm pvp for endgame. At the time it was one of the most popular mmo games available. I still remember going out to the RvR battles and seeing hundreds of players on the fields, it was quite amazing.

The point I am getting at is that you cannot say MMO games are not for people.

All you can really say is “gear progression MMO games are not for you.”

There is actually other ways to make MMO games than having endless gear progression as the ‘end game.’ That style of play was made so popular by WoW and its 13+ million subscribers.

However, we have also seen floods of these gear progression type of MMO games released since then with the vast majority of them failing in less than 6 months. So obviously any attempt to say that gear progression is the best method for a successful mmo game would be seen with a certain level of doubt.

(edited by Fritz.5026)

in Suggestions

Malefactor.2971

However, we have also seen floods of these gear progression type of MMO games released since then with the vast majority of them failing in less than 6 months. So obviously any attempt to say that gear progression is the best method for a successful mmo game would be seen with a certain level of doubt.

It could be argued then, that with GW2 making the switch in just 3 months that their original model/method was even less successful. Or at least viewed as such by Anet/NcSoft.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Honestly, there are none. The reason GW2 had so much hype behind it is because it was going to be different, and change the genre for the better, forever. GW1 was the beginning, although obviously it played second fiddle to WoW for years. GW2 finally had the financing behind it that it needed to transition GW1 into being a direct competitor, and possibly dominating the genre itself. We all know how that turned out. Bad developers took over the franchise, money and big interests got more involved, and locusts became very vocal, all encouraging the ruination of the entire franchise is only three months time.

GW1 is basically it. It may go down as being the only MMO style game within the space of about twenty or thirty years that ever did it right, more or less. We may see some within the next ten years, especially now that GW2 has embarrassed itself to the entire industry, and shown everyone what to do and not to do. Unfortunately, I think some may take this as notice that it can’t be done, considering how big of a budget and how much support the game had to be the next coming. If GW2 can’t do it, after all, who can? Probably no one.

I’ve always hated MMOs. The only one I’ve ever enjoyed for more than a couple of months is GW1. That will probably stay true, for the rest of my life. Honestly the closest games I can think of are all single player games, as those don’t need anywhere near the budget, and as such, aren’t so obsessed with money.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

right now I am backing out of traditional MMOs. Prolly check out PS2 on the 20th. But playing with some new mods in Skyrim and FO:NV now.

Still keeping an eye on Elder Scrolls Online but to many things seem like yet another MMO, and WoD but there is very little info on that one.

Something similar for me.
PS2 the 20th and then see what eventually wins out for me.

I wasn’t planning on Elder Scrolls, because I thought GW2 was going to keep me entertained, but now I’m planning on following that game a bit more intently.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fritz.5026

Fritz.5026

It could be argued then, that with GW2 making the switch in just 3 months that their original model/method was even less successful. Or at least viewed as such by Anet/NcSoft.

I would not agree to that. They had to have begun this switch within a month of the game being released to have the patch released with the content now.

That is not enough time for them to have made the decision based on retention levels.

This decision was made shortly after the game was released, which is why most players feel they have been the victim of a bait and switch. The game was advertised as not having vertical progression and gear farming. It was advertised as the pvp game many people who had lives away from their computer desk could enjoy.

Things clearly changed immediately after release for us to be seeing this patch go live now.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

I’ve actually gone back to play ME3 multiplayer, and find it a lot of fun. I still WvW here.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

Sandbox MMOs. But I take it you don’t like forced PvP either? If thats the case you can eliminate World of Darkness from your list of “potential” candidates.

Edit: It doesn’t take 3 months to decide that “you know what, we want stronger gear.” The ascended system obviously was intended for awhile, but the higher stat gear could have been thrown together in a couple days.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

TSW is a fun horizontal skill growth game. In many ways it reminds me of GW1 in that one expands one skills to build a deck to develop synergies. The game is about skill build development.

The one thing that is problematic for me in TSW is the milieu is a bit too dark for my tastes.

Ack, I can never win it seems with MMO selection.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

in Suggestions

cherrie.8907

Just an observation here, but you’re going from a company (Anet) who you feel have gone against their word, indulged in “false advertising” etc to a company (Funcom) that are the undisputed masters of broken promises and lies. They are also a company in very deep financial trouble that may not last much longer, short of a buyout or a miracle.

I hope they wont because the game is really good.
If they fail, then maybe finally I’ll give up this time-consuming hobby.

-Mike Obrien

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

TSW is a fun horizontal skill growth game. In many ways it reminds me of GW1 in that one expands one skills to build a deck to develop synergies. The game is about skill build development.

The one thing that is problematic for me in TSW is the milieu is a bit too dark for my tastes.

You may want to mention what TSW stands for.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

You may want to mention what TSW stands for.

The Secret World

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moatzart.7302

Moatzart.7302

In this thread planetside 2 and Secret world are mentioned.

I played some Secret World. It’s PVE in a silent hill meets dan brown world. The pvp is very small. You are not overpowered as a player and you can really just be anything as long as you play long enough, be it wizard or soldier or combined.

Planetside 2 like just about any SOE games have terrible performance optimization. Vehicle combat seems more important than onfoot combat. Graphics are pretty nice. You die very easy in soldier mode so you have to get good at it.

I would keep an eye out for elderscrolls MMO in the future. Im looking very much forward to it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Neverwinter is one I’m watching (Might be a dungeon crawl, but the content looks unlimited).

Elder Scrolls Online, another one I’ll be giving a go.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ravina Gray.4719

Ravina Gray.4719

I played TSW for a few months after it’s launch and sure it has some interesting features but it was incedibly buggy and felt for me like it lacked any sense of community. As has been mentioned it does have gear grinds but it was the fact that the endgame demand to conform to cookie cutter builds was very high – that’s the thing that turned me off the game.

I’m keeping an eye on Elder Scrolls but I still live in hope someone will make a truly different MMO I do get the feeling sadly that if the mould is ever to be broken it will end up being Blizzard themselves that do it… they’re being very cagey about Titan.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

DDO (dungeons and dragons online) FTP, Its all about PVE, no pvp except minor tavern brawls….extremely gear based, but in a good way, has one of the best chat and LFM systems there is…dungeons range from easy casual, to mentally hard requiring extreme teamwork, but with the LFM system is really not hard to get a group for any quest you want.
A great game for hardcore MMO’ers and gear grinders, with the TR (true resurrection) system you can play the same character for years and never “max” it out.

LOTRO (lord of the rings online) FTP, Simply an amazing world, massive in size with some zones boasting 200-300 quests…also has the epic story line quests which follow the actual fellowship, met Frodo etc.
Has the best cosmetics system of any game, legendary system is just awesome and works very well, crafting system is perfectly balanced with all professions worthwhile and beneficial to players.
Just an amazing game, stunning scenery, amazing music…i have leveled 5 characters to cap and still not seen and done everything in the game…very good community, very helpful players…..it does have pvp limited t oone zone, but gives you the chance to fight for the free peoples or the bad guys, orcs, wargs etc.

EVE online , subscription only…..Simply the king cheese of MMO’s…they do not come any bigger or better…it is a cold, hard brutal universe, with stealing, scamming and griefing all being legitimate career paths, you just have to be smart enough not to get suckered.
It is the thinking persons MMO, it boasts the biggest pvp battles of all time, personally i took part in a fight that lasted just over a week and involved more than 5,000 people.
PVP drives this game, but you can become rich and famous without ever firing a shot, industry, exploration, market manipulation are just as important as pvp as everything is made and destroyed by the players themselves.

EVE is a very tough game, it has the steepest learning curve of any game, ever, without a doubt, it will frustrate you and sometimes kick your butt, but you will never be more rewarded for hard work and determination as you will in EVE.

Just a few of the other MMO’s i play, feel free to ask questions…

in Suggestions

Xpiher.5209

I played TSW for a few months after it’s launch and sure it has some interesting features but it was incedibly buggy and felt for me like it lacked any sense of community. As has been mentioned it does have gear grinds but it was the fact that the endgame demand to conform to cookie cutter builds was very high – that’s the thing that turned me off the game.

I’m keeping an eye on Elder Scrolls but I still live in hope someone will make a truly different MMO I do get the feeling sadly that if the mould is ever to be broken it will end up being Blizzard themselves that do it… they’re being very cagey about Titan.

World of Darkness (not yet relased), Darkfall Online: Unholy Wars (if you don’t like PvP stay away), EvE, Salem, The Population (not out yet), Wurm, Haven and Hearth, Mortal Online. There you go, all different MMOs with different feel and nothing like the WoW. Have Fun

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rojaha.4082

Rojaha.4082

I know its impossible for you to grasp, because you probably play games for things like meaningless achievment points on XBox instead of fun, but some people simply enjoy playing games, not “chasing a carrot on a stick”, and enjoyed GW1 for years until GW2 came out.

I always thought the definition of an MMO was a massive virtual world in which hundreds or thousands of players all existed together. I didn’t know the initials “MMO” stood for “stat treadmill”.

in Suggestions

Xpiher.5209

Funny how the mod moved it here…

in Suggestions

Merthax.5172

I do find that interesting as well.

Has anyone actually played “The Secret World?” I briefly looked at the site and am intrigued. I like a variety of game settings, from games like Fallout to games like Mass Effect…variety is good. TSW looks like a setting that I may very well be interested in. I had never heard of this game before but may have to give it a more serious look.

I’m not opposed to paying a subscription, in and of itself, but I am opposed to the type of gameplay that subs promote (grind for the sake of keeping players addicted…I mean playing).

in Suggestions

Malefactor.2971

I do find that interesting as well.

Has anyone actually played “The Secret World?” I briefly looked at the site and am intrigued. I like a variety of game settings, from games like Fallout to games like Mass Effect…variety is good. TSW looks like a setting that I may very well be interested in. I had never heard of this game before but may have to give it a more serious look.

I’m not opposed to paying a subscription, in and of itself, but I am opposed to the type of gameplay that subs promote (grind for the sake of keeping players addicted…I mean playing).

I played it. Tbh the “leveling” experience was pretty fun, the investigation missions were actually very well done, as well as the almost as fun sabotage ones. Once you are done the missions though, you come to end game, which is the same old gear treadmill as ever, and you will likely have trouble getting a party for dungeons/nightmare as a good portion of the community demands full “epics” and experience to run them.

The skill wheel, while an interesting idea in itself, is loaded with redundant and useless skills, and there are “must have” skills (as deemed by the community mentioned above) it’s become quite cookie cutter. The combat itself is… not very good, the animations are pretty bad, and combat was something that reviewers almost unanimously said needed the most work. Well, that and the bugs, oh man are there a lot of bugs. Crafting is so terrible as to be almost non-existent, and serves no real purpose. The game world is also very small, only 8 zones, no exploration and is pretty easy to finish the storyline in about 2-3 weeks of casual play.

In short, it’s a Funcom game, lots of promise (and promises) but the delivery falls far short. It might be worth picking up when it’s on sale for like 10-15$ and playing as a single player game, but it’s just not worth a subscription (or the cash shop).

If you are still interested in getting it, it might be in your best interest to wait a while and see how their financial troubles pan out. The situation is quite grim, no hyperbole here, you can take a look at their financials yourself as Funcom is a publicly traded company. Here’s the very short version: Funcom told investors they expected ~1 million sales with a retention of ~500k (or their worst case 1 million sales with a conan like retention of ~300k iirc). In reality, they sold ~200k copies total, followed by layoffs of ~50% of staff (including some of the top developers) and taking an impairment for the entire development cost of the game.

(edited by Malefactor.2971)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zii The Mad.2563

Zii The Mad.2563

This post really struck a chord with me, because I sympathize powerfully.

Zii, are you open to considering some unsolicited advice? If so, here it is:

Thanks for the advice friend. Truth be told, I don’t really play GW2 anymore. I know its a fantasy that the game will become more like GW1; I know it wont happen. They took the direction they did, and now they gotta stick with it.

I’m tired of MMORPG’s in all honesty. They can never seem to break the mold enough to feel like a new and fresh experience.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lextoc.2856

lextoc.2856

I like GW2, but yes, it’s different from GW1. Those who want a game similiar to GW1, why? GW1 is still up and running.