Gamification on the forums

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Just a suggestion, why don’t we apply Gamification in the forums? I think it’s an awesome idea, that way, people are encouraged to post more and be more open or honest.

Anyways, for those who do not know what gamification is, it is the use of game-thinking and game mechanics in a non-game context in order to engage users and solve problems. Gamification techniques leverage people’s natural desires for competition, achievement, status, self-expression, altruism, and closure. A core strategy for gamifying is to provide rewards for players for accomplishing desired tasks. Types of rewards include points, achievement badges or levels, the filling of a progress bar, and providing the user with virtual currency.

In short, placing the gamification mechanic will make the forums a fun place to be in albeit being a serious one!

That’s just my suggestion though, so anyways, what do you guys think? Like it? Love it? Hate it? Yay? Boo?

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

When this suggestion is about what I think about what you’re suggesting, then I’m saying

HELL NO

to this, out of the simple reason, that people would start flooding the forums, just to grind their arses off to receive these “gamifications” – seriously, is this even a real english word oO ???

This forum wouldn’t become fuller of people posting more serious things ect.
No, it would end up totally in the complete opposite direction… People would spam more stuff to build up faster their “gamification” to get faster their rewards for them ect.

No, the forum should stay completely free of any kind of reward systems for posting topics/threads which are linked together with the game…
I don’t hate it..but I

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ^^

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Well a text-based or web-html-base game companion for guild wars 2 could be good. It goes with the gw2 mobile app thing too. Players can install apps on their mobile devices or just log onto to it through their mobile browsers. This companion could have simple games that can contribute to your gw2 account. You could have the option of trading through the black lion trading company with this companion web-app/page. GW2 email emailing through it. Players can play simple games when they are on the forums reading when they aren’t playing the full game and contribute to their accounts. Any number of simple game(s) to start with would be a good trial for this type of extension to the game.

Example of a game: Based on of your characters level and name (stats etc), this would create a web characters stats that would be used. This web-based game could also be the building-base for the in-game version of it. Well lets start with Home instances. Lets say you can build your home instance in this game. You can perform a number or mini-games or trading or crafting to obtain different things for your home instance.

Another Example: A turn-base dungeon rpg, text and image-based, game with gw2 characters and skills etc where players play by selecting text and clicking on things to attack etc.

Example 3: Web-page version of the Black Lion Trading Company where players must buy/sell/trade to finance creations and support of private industrial companies. These companies produce raw resources and currency used for trading and buying more companies. Companies would be buy-able and sell-able also. Would be able to produce an X amount of resources per day depending on their size/equipment/facilities/amount of resources available at their location. Some companies would require other resources to produce their good also on a daily basis. This resource and trading company game could get as complex or in-depth as you’d like it to be. Since it could be mostly text-based, less programming/graphical development would be needed. Financial records of companies could be a part of the game too to show their success in trading them etc. Ex. of companies: armory, foods, siege weapons factory, town clothing, books and spells, Metals, Beverages, Candy, Gathering tools, processed/refined materials…

(edited by Zahld.4956)