(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: CitizenKing.4912

CitizenKing.4912

This wintersday event has pushed me away completely from ever spending money on microtransactions in the future.

On a whim, I spent 10 dollars on 800 gems to buy 10 of the mystery boxes. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try, and to my surprise, I found 2 mini snowmen! I’d heard about foostivoo, though I had not seen it, and figured another 10 dollars would net me my first rare pet. Then I opened ten boxes filled with nothing but dyes and consumables. Suddenly an urge came over me, I just needed one more pet! Thirty dollars? That’s a bit much, but its a collectible! It must be great!

A second bust, RNG had screwed me again. With a labored sigh, I told myself that I would only try one more time. To my luck, I managed to get a third mini, and was able to make Festivoo.

I regret this so much. I understand that its my fault, I understand that I should have gone searching for information beforehand, and I understand that I could have completely avoided this situation if I had exhibited some more willpower. Still, I feel like a fool and I hate that I spent 40 bucks, enough to buy a completely new game, on a pet that doesn’t even look that good (It’s far too tiny, and I’m a norn.)

I know I can’t ask for a refund, because ANet isn’t going to give up their profits for the sake of one individual who got a bit trigger happy with his card. Even still, looking around the forums, I see a lot of people who are quite unhappy with how this event has gone. There are people who have spent upwards of 50 to 60 dollars and not even received enough pets to make the Festivoo mini. This is just ridiculous.

Do not make your gem store a gambling den where only you stand to profit. It is really unbecoming of you as a company and has turned me off so completely from ever spending money in your store again.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Then again, would foostivoo be so special if you could just buy it without any RNG involved?
Would you have gotten the excitement you had if you were just buying items instead of boxes with no idea what’s inside?

Now, I have made mistakes myself in other games too, I understand how it feels. But you’ll get over it. And hey, at least you did get that Foostivoo.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Then again, would foostivoo be so special if you could just buy it without any RNG involved?
Would you have gotten the excitement you had if you were just buying items instead of boxes with no idea what’s inside?

Now, I have made mistakes myself in other games too, I understand how it feels. But you’ll get over it. And hey, at least you did get that Foostivoo.

yes i would be just as excited to buy foostivoo straight up, the same way people get excited after buying their first car or a new game system. you dont need gambling to feel good. instead most of the times it leaves you feeling awful after knowing what you tried and failed.

(edited by Penguin.5197)

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: HonoredMule.5873

HonoredMule.5873

Not knowing what you’ll get isn’t exciting. It’s just stressful with a high chance of disappointment. I’ll never buy anything that doesn’t guarantee a credible return on investment and RNG automatically denies that guarantee.

It’s trash, it makes the store trashy to have so much gambling content (and so little else of value), and I’m not touching it. I’ll spend my money on game companies that have more respect for their customers.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

I guess I have different mentality than most of people here. Oh well, you still got to remember that if you can just buy it straight up, it’s not quite such a big deal as it would be if it was rare. Everyone who wanted one would have one, and there would be absolutely nothing special about it.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: poe lyfe.5879

poe lyfe.5879

NEVER buy gems for items in the gem store or to gamble. the only reason to buy gems is if you like what anet is doing. remember no subscription fees so supporting them is your choice. all you need to do is ask yourself “is what theyre doing worth 30$ or not”
because it will fund future events and items to truly make your character unique

Wintersday is for the Charr, also Meatober.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

NEVER buy gems for items in the gem store or to gamble. the only reason to buy gems is if you like what anet is doing. remember no subscription fees so supporting them is your choice. all you need to do is ask yourself “is what theyre doing worth 30$ or not”
because it will fund future events and items to truly make your character unique

Well said. Anet is indeed trying to keep the gem-shop as optional as possible, which is rather respectable in my opinion.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nefara.2186

Nefara.2186

I will never spend cash on RNG, because I consider any chance of failure simply not worth it.

I would absolutely be excited to pay directly for Festivoo or the other Wintersday minis that aren’t listed in the shop. I’ve been happy purchasing the costumes and style items and even some consumables (like the total makeover kit and fine transmutation stones) because I know what I’m getting and I’ll have fun with them.

I know that with RNG, if I have any high expectations they’ll inevitably be crushed. It’s not fun if it’s the only way to get something. In fact, I believe it’s just cruel.

Musically inclined individual forever on the lute treadmill.
Check out my songs for the harp !
My guide for beginners!

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

But, by buying Gem’s you are rewarding Anet’s behavior. So, expect RNG to continue if it’s supported. I agree when it comes to buying gems, the items should be guaranteed.

For me, something is SPECIAL because I like it. Whether someone else has it or not is completely irrelevant. Now, after taking the time to build and decorate my toon, if someone copied it, that would irk me. Luckily, names are unique and cannot be copied.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

At least the OP had enough sense to place blame where it belonged on him self. I don’t think that Cosmetic rares should be pay x and get. I believe they should be RGN items. They are cosmetic they are not going to help you down anything in dungeons ect. The Gem store even stats that there could be a chance you get the rare mini pet festivo.

By this and many people posting on this your saying that Vegas should not be allowed to do what they do because compulsion addicts go there and lose everything including their lives do to temptation and everything they have is bad for them.

Also of course you see a lot of threads about people complaining, most people that are enjoying them selves and have no complaints are playing the game. Most people that are responsible say ok I am spending $10 on gems if I get it I get it if not of well.

(edited by Kaimick.5109)

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

And that’s how an international debt crisis starts. Not by the companies allowing a gamble, but by consumers who don’t realize borrowed money (Credit Cards) won’t suffice to cover all the pretty things forever. Sooner or later someone has to pay for your want.

Bottom line. Don’t spend money you can’t afford to lose on a gamble. The gamble was the game, the thrill of unboxing. If you would be guaranteed a top tier item, it wouldn’t be a gamble?

On the other hand, good for your spouse. You realize you don’t like gambling so hopefully it doesn’t become an addiction Make a monthly budget for GW2 gems and don’t spend a gem over that. A good father always budgets his pleasure along with the needs of his family.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I won’t buy any mystery anything. They can shove their RNG up their kitten. I bought 2-3 dye packs from the store, realized that I got more rubbish dye than anything else and stopped buying them. Now, I buy the specific dye I want from the TP.

Also, I don’t kitten care if something is special. If I like something and I want it, I will enjoy it. I don’t care if everyone else has the same thing and enjoys it as well. I am not playing the game for them.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

(edited by robinsiebler.3801)

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I bought some of the mystery boxes and I’m regretting it also. I got a hat and one of the minis (twice) so it wasn’t a complete bust, but its not something I want to do again. It just feels to close to gambling for my taste. Lesson learned. No more mystery boxes. I am just going to buy items directly like the weapon skins and the minis. Now I’m sorry I validated ANet in their business practice of offering those boxes.

(Gem) Buyer's Remorse

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

haven’t spent a real life dollar and will never do. Exchanging gold for gems is the only way i roll and over 4g for 200gems is a major waste of gold.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.