Gem Store - Armors - Single Pieces + Mock-ups

in Suggestions

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

ArenaNet,

One of the biggest motivations for me to continue playing is the prospect of new armors to incorporate into my character’s styles as I romp around the world fighting things and doing events. Barely any new styles being offered at all since release, coupled with the mandatory ‘Full Set’ purchase requirement of these new armor skins, has left me feeling disconnected from Guild Wars 2. The new armor releases really energized my interest in the game again, though I was then disappointed to see the new armors being sold as ‘Full Set’ only. Due to this fact, I feel you may have lost out on many, many sales of individual armor pieces by choosing to plunk them down in the Gem Store as a Full Set purchase only.

I intended to purchase at least 23 individual items were they to have been released as individually purchasable items, but upon seeing that they were only offered as Full Set purchases, I decided to only get a single set that I still will not use all the pieces of. That’s 23 individual skin purchases at 200 gems (est) each, for a total of 4600 gems had they been offered individually. Instead, you’ve gotten 800 gems in total sales from me with these new skins. I’ve also seen many others hoping you would offer armor pieces individually, thus leading to your not making sales with them because they are not purchasing the full sets offered.

I want you to succeed. I want you to make sales. However, I do not feel you are marketing your items in the best manner to ensure the largest possible sales while fulfilling the desires of your playerbase. People tend toward being more inclined to make many smaller amount purchases over a single large one.

Here are some mock-up images I threw together tonight showing what would be really nice to have for armor skins in the gem store.

Based on 200 gems per individual piece, notice the cost (buy button) changes with each additional item. But when the 4th item is selected then the total becomes 800 gems, which is how much a full set costs, so it then notifies you that you can have the full set for that price. Since the full set is 800 gems, this is sort of a Buy 4 of a set, get the other 2 pieces free for those who wish to get the full set.

This would allow those who would like the same item for many characters to spend the extra gems to purchase the individual items, while also maintaining the 800 gem cost of the full set for those who just want the full set and not go mix ’n match.

Please consider this proposal. I feel it would greatly increase your sales, due to the projected massive increase of individual item sales over the fewer bulk item sales you are currently offering, while also making a large portion of your playerbase very happy.

x2 selected
x3 selected
x4 selected
Full set selected

Thank you for your consideration.

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

If more new armours are going to be introduced into the game via the gem store then I would definitely like to see a system like this – a great suggestion. Bank space is already at a premium so not having to store unwanted bits of purchased sets would be good.

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizz.7306

Kaizz.7306

I only want the Aetherblade heavy gloves. The rest of it, honestly, looks like crap, heavy armor wise. The medium and light look awesome, but I also wish we could buy in parts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I’m going to completely agree with the OP here. I like the hat and maybe would use some other pieces, but I don’t want the full set.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Supporting this 100%!
Could’ve used this a while ago, bought Krytan set and only saved the top, threw the rest away as I can’t be bothered with skulls :p

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khorrax.2108

Khorrax.2108

I totally agree with the suggestions above. But is this even taken into consideration by the devs? I also agree that they might actually make more sales because not being able to preview separate pieces (in the gem store) or buy only certain pieces discourage some people from buying armours in the gem store.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

I like buying full sets of everything but I agree with the OP. I think this option would be really great if you like only 1 or 2 pieces of a set!

in Suggestions

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

With the recent armor releases, I thought I would update.

Phalanx/Viper/Trickster Armor Sets
8 – # of individual pieces I would like to purchase from the sets
1,600 – # of Gems I’d spend @ 200 Gems per piece
2,000 – # of Gems I’d spend @ 250 Gems per piece
ZERO – # of Gems I will be spending on these armor sets as long as they remain as full set purchases only.

ArenaNet, I would once again like to stress to you the fact that people are more willing to make many smaller amount purchases over a single larger one, even if it ends up costing more in the long run. 99% of marketing is psychology. In an MMO, the majority of players have several characters, especially after over a year of playing a game with multiple classes and races. With the game’s appearance customization options regarding armor styles (mix-n-match), and the emphasis on this appearance customization as being one of the primary content elements of the game, refusing to offer armor sets to be purchased on a per-piece basis goes completely against logic, especially from a marketing standpoint for a company looking to maximize revenue.

I would like to say I would purchase as many individual pieces from these sets as I would from the set mentioned in my OP (and other sets released since then), but most pieces from these sets really are not all that good (in my opinion). Psychologically, this also deters people from making a single large purchase if they are forced to also purchase many items they have no interest in just to get the 1 or 2 that they do. And as mentioned above, with bank space and storage continuing to be such an issue (even with the recent increase to maximum bank tabs), continuing to force players to purchase items they do not want (as they will then be forced to throw them into storage or destroy them) also deters many potential sales. And if they do store these undesired items, every time they see them they will think of nothing but having wasted money on them just to have them sit in storage forever, and this will likely deter them from making future purchases of this nature.

Please see the logic in these statements and make this step toward fulfilling the desires of your players as well as increasing your revenue from more sales.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I love this idea. I really would want an option to purchase just 1 item of clothing however, for 200 gems.

The main reason I haven’t been buying gems lately is because I don’t want full sets, I only want individual pieces. For example, the trickster boots is all I want out of that set, but I’m not spending 800 gems (or 67 gold in total with the current conversion rates) for some boots.

Anet could have had a purchase there from me too, but have missed out because there wasn’t the option to purchase pieces individually. This should… no… NEEDS to be implemented.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gillian.1859

Gillian.1859

Also supporting this idea.

If this is not possible, then I request a wardrobe for all the armors I purchase from the gem store.

I love mix-and-matching but currently, I have very low incentive to try things out because 1) I am afraid to destroy a piece of armor 2) extra skins take up bank slots

Bank slots wouldn’t be a problem if I didn’t have to store all unless achievement reward skins that I also feel bad trashing…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I fully support this. Most of the time I’m using 1-3 pieces of an armorset from the Gem Store, and having to buy the full set all the time drains my gold.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarkChaos.4326

DarkChaos.4326

200 feels a little steep IMO. 150 would be a better price point.

Supporting this, while it isn’t something I have been completely bothered by, I do see myself likely opting for more purchases with this feature.

Just like the new medium armour, those shoulders/gloves look amazing but I have no desire for the entire set.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

only want individual pieces. For example, the trickster boots is all I want out of that set,

If only they weren’t account bound you could have had mine.

I agree with this thread, I bought the krytan set for my engineer recently, purely for the top (it’s one of the very few medium armors on a female that isn’t a trenchcoat or mid riff of some description) and the rest of it is just using up bank space (you know in case one day I want it, because if I get rid of it I’D HAVE TO BUY IT AGAIN….)

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

This would be great, but ultimately still not as great as unlocking armour sets as reusable skins, which would be our ideal scenario.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Agreed, Faowri, but this is probably the only alternative MoN©eySoft would be willing to let ANet do.

Heed the words of the wise StinVec, ANet. You’ll get a lot more money in the long run.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.