Guild- 500 Limit

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: battlemouse.5480

battlemouse.5480

I dont understand why there is a 500 person limit on guilds. You force me to be a bad guy when I have to remove someone that dual-guilds in favor of someone who doesn’t have a home but wants to join and be 100% loyal.

If you do not want to increase the limit fine, but please add two things to the guild window that would take some of the work and difficulty off of me trying to explain the same thing to 1000 people as a guild leader.

1) Show the tag name the toon is representing in the roster, so I know if they are multi-guilders or someone who just does not know how to turn on their tags.

2) Explain how guilds and representing work on the front guild page so people can understand it. Something like:

" Guilds offer you a community of players to help you complete missions, ask questions, and engage in joint adventures. In GW2 your account can have up to five different guilds, but each character may only represent one guild at a time. The guild you choose to represent gains influence by your actions. Your character gains any buffs and guild chat from that guild.

If you split your loyalty by having multipul guilds, you will miss any guild chat advertisements for missions, dungeon requests, or events run by your non-represented guilds. A guild with too many guild hopping members makes it difficult to organize any guild related content for its members. Guilds with loyal members tend to be stronger as they can act quickly to get their members on the same page. My suggestion is to join guilds until you find one you like, and then be loyal to that guild. Help make the guild you choose better at the things you want, instead of leaving them behind to join one guild for pve and another for pvp.

A guild can have only a maximum of 500 players. Guild leaders at this point in order to maintain an active guild of loyal members must start making some cuts to the roster if they do not want to perish. If you quit the game, the guild leader has no way of knowing, but he/she can’t let the guild die so if you have not played in a long period of time you may get removed from the guild. You may also be removed if you are a multi-guilder to make room for a person who wants to be 100% loyal to the guild. These choices are not a personal thing, they are simply to keep the guild active and vibrant, and it is in the best interest of the loyal members that guild has.

For example, if you represent my guild only 30% of the time, my other guild members would not be able to easily ask you to join them for a dungeon the other 70% in guild chat. The same goes for your other guild 30% of the time. Once a guild hits 500 members, if you are cut due to not representing, its not personal, it is to maintain a healthy active loyal guild.

Getting kicked from a guild for either of these reasons is not like being fired. You will always be welcomed back if there is space, and you wish to play more or be more loyal. "

-+- Or GW2 could just take away the guild cap limit.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

If the person who is dual-guilds is just playing with a few friends. Then you are a bad guy for kicking them from your guild.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

battlemouse.5480

If he’s playing with a few friends, why not be loyal to their guild? Sorry, I dont think your response helps my problem. If 500 members all play with their friends in 500 different guilds then the guild with 500 people isn’t very useful to anyone.

Besides, it’s not about kicking someone for dual-guilding, its about having to replace a dual-guilder for someone that wants to be 100% loyal. A choice you are forced to make at 500 members. So ya , to the guy that gets kicked, I am a bad guy. However, if I am a good guild leader then my responsibility is to the guild, and to the loyal guild members first, right?

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

If you already have 500 people in a guild, why not create another and have that bad boy full upgraded in a month?

Also, have everyone use teamspeak or something so that you won’t miss the “LF2M CoFP1” spam in g-chat

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

battlemouse.5480

Not to be nit-picky, but if your in multipul guilds, why would they be in my teamspeak 100% of the time? If your representing guild #2 I’d have to look thru my roster, then type to you individually to let you know about something happening in the near future.

For your first comment, getting 500 players is easy. Getting 500 active and representing players to build enough influence to upgrade fully in a month is a different story, and exactly the problem. If you just go out and get 500 players, in a month you’ll only have 20 active representing players. To maintain good numbers you continually have to prune, or your guild stagnates and dies.

Thanks to both of you for actually taking the time to read this post/rant though.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Ok so you just admitted that you don’t have 500 active and representing members? So what’s your problem? If you did then you could have THEM build the influence for the 2nd guild…

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d assume a guild of your size has a website. You could prominently post on that site about the 500 member limit and the factors that might lead to removing someone from the guild. A lot of what you are asking ANet to put in game notes could be covered that way, and tailored to fit your particular needs.

After all, my guild has maybe a tenth that many, and on a good night with a planned event we might have 15 active. So we don’t need to warn about pruning. We don’t mind if people spend time in other guilds, especially on alts that aren’t ICly in our guild (yes, we are RPers).

Phrasing it as “splitting loyalty” is loaded, too. I wouldn’t presume to tell someone they were being disloyal to me because they spent time being friends with someone else. That’s something else that is subjective to your own guild style. Which leads back to putting it on your site, rather than trying to make a blanket announcement fit every play style in the game.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If my guild ever hit 500, I would just start a new one and combine them into an alliance.

Simple.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

battlemouse.5480

Player Im not sure why you said that. No, I don’t have 500 active and representing members. I have 500 members. My problem is when “Player Character” says, I’d like to join your guild I don’t have one, and I really like your forum posts.

Now, if I wanted to add my 501’st member, i’d be forced to remove someone. My choices are:
a) An active and loyal member
b) A non active member – ( no real tools to figure out who’s not active, so theres a chance you remove someone loyal and active, just on vacation )
c) A dual-guilder ( partially loyal )
d) Let this guild stagnate and die, while you become the first member of my new guild.

It’s an issue weather you want to see it or not, or weather anyone wants to address it.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

battlemouse.5480

Zacchary, to run a big guild and run guild events often is hard enough without having to bounce around between guilds and mange upgrades and coordination I’d think. You may have touched on something I had not considered though, are guild alliances up and running now? I’ll have to look it up.

Donari yes, it is on our site. But as you may be aware, not everyone who plays games, goes above and beyond the game. I gave you a +1 because your solution is the same solution I came up with months ago. Our guild website does state exactly the issues we run in to.

My initial suggestion makes me sound like I am in influence hog or someone that is to harsh if you dont’ represent me 100% and active all the time. But if you think that you are severely missing what im trying to say. We have enough actives and 100% loyal members to get all the influence and merits we would ever need. So that is not an issue, and were friendly so we don’t care if you only rep us 10% of the time, we’ll still give you 100% of the buffs and events when you play with us. The only problem is when we hit 500 members, and a new player comes along that doesn’t have a guild. At the maximum membership all the choices are bad, and make the person that has to make that choice seem bad / greedy / whatever.

It is apparent to me that most of you feel the suggestion to point out to new players how representing works in an easy to find location in the game is a poor idea. It sounds like you are also for the idea of a limited cap to the number of players a guild should have. I concede

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Zacchary.6183

Player-Organized alliances still exist. It usually requires a chain of command leading up to the Alliance Leader. If one was to expand past the 500 limit, the AL would have to assign Guild Leaders. The original could be turned into an Alliance administration guild where its purpose is to assist the child guilds that branch from it. Of course, every GL would have to coordinate with the AL to help maintain them.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If my guild ever hit 500, I would just start a new one and combine them into an alliance.

Simple.

It really isn’t this simple. The amount of time it would take in this second guild to unlock say guild missions would be prohibitive. It would take weeks, maybe months. People in that guild simply couldn’t participate in Guild Missions with the first guild, because they couldn’t rep it, and so couldn’t get personal rewards.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oliver.4017

Oliver.4017

Do you know what could fix this with ease? Alliances.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Zacchary.6183

Simple.

It really isn’t this simple. The amount of time it would take in this second guild to unlock say guild missions would be prohibitive. It would take weeks, maybe months. People in that guild simply couldn’t participate in Guild Missions with the first guild, because they couldn’t rep it, and so couldn’t get personal rewards.

If the first guild is well off, you could have maybe 100-200 of your members temporarily represent the second guild while building it’s numbers with recruiting. As membership and upgrade availability increases, the temporaries can slowly leave that guild. Those who wish to stay as part of the new guild’s staff will get kicked from the original.

It would be harder to build from scratch like you said but the original guild can still remain active while alloting it’s resources to get the second guild up quickly.

Guild- 500 Limit

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Zacchary, to run a big guild and run guild events often is hard enough without having to bounce around between guilds and mange upgrades and coordination I’d think. You may have touched on something I had not considered though, are guild alliances up and running now? I’ll have to look it up.

Donari yes, it is on our site. But as you may be aware, not everyone who plays games, goes above and beyond the game. I gave you a +1 because your solution is the same solution I came up with months ago. Our guild website does state exactly the issues we run in to.

My initial suggestion makes me sound like I am in influence hog or someone that is to harsh if you dont’ represent me 100% and active all the time. But if you think that you are severely missing what im trying to say. We have enough actives and 100% loyal members to get all the influence and merits we would ever need. So that is not an issue, and were friendly so we don’t care if you only rep us 10% of the time, we’ll still give you 100% of the buffs and events when you play with us. The only problem is when we hit 500 members, and a new player comes along that doesn’t have a guild. At the maximum membership all the choices are bad, and make the person that has to make that choice seem bad / greedy / whatever.

It is apparent to me that most of you feel the suggestion to point out to new players how representing works in an easy to find location in the game is a poor idea. It sounds like you are also for the idea of a limited cap to the number of players a guild should have. I concede

Delegate most of the management of the 2nd guild to a trusted guild member.