Guild Wars 2 First Person View

in Suggestions

Posted by: crazymuunicorn.6508

crazymuunicorn.6508

OK with the gw2 combat system, i feel like this would be really creative and fun to play….not necessarily the most efficient, but the gw2 world looks pretty enough and to be able to walk around in first person could really bring that to life. Thoughts….?

(P.S) still want gender/appearance changes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I would like go between TPV and FPV veiw. But the particle effects in FPV will make fighting a mob hard.

in Suggestions

crazymuunicorn.6508

Yea obviously not a permanent change, the ability to switch back and forth though, would be pretty cool. Good point on the particle effects

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kudzu.7569

Kudzu.7569

The game would probably look really great through a first-person perspective, though it may or may not mess with my engie’s grenade targeting (I have that target-where-your-cursor-is option enabled). I would definitely love to see a toggle for it put into the game though; it would be especially helpful in tight places where you can’t quite get a good grip on your camera anyway. It’s also fun to occasionally get your character out of the way and just look at the world.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
– Mike Obrien, President of Anet

in Suggestions

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

The game would probably look really great through a first-person perspective, though it may or may not mess with my engie’s grenade targeting (I have that target-where-your-cursor-is option enabled). I would definitely love to see a toggle for it put into the game though; it would be especially helpful in tight places where you can’t quite get a good grip on your camera anyway. It’s also fun to occasionally get your character out of the way and just look at the world.

Absolutely agree. GW2 has some of the biggest, most beautiful cities also. It would be nice to roam around and actually see them from an immersive perspective. I’m really amazed they don’t have a basic toggle button for this. They don’t even really have to do much with it(animations, etc., if they don’t want to). It’d be nice to just have the camera setting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

So you basically want to have a skyrim-style view on a mmorpg?

This intrigues me and would add a challenge (combat in a 1st person perspective would be difficult) to people who want something more out of their mmorpg. +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

A bunch of people have been begging for first person view since the beta’s including myself.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sparhawk.9120

Sparhawk.9120

This was an option in GW1 just by using the mouse button to scroll in and out. Even now when I’m doing any jumping puzzles I find myself still trying to do it. FPS in parts of the game seems only natural.

Not to mention the better quality of some screen shots I could get without my big pirate hat getting in the way.

in Suggestions

crazymuunicorn.6508

The game is still fresh, we may see it yet

in Suggestions

Posted by: MichaelBaker.6541

MichaelBaker.6541

The good news is gameplay and mechanics are unaffected by allowing users to zoom all the way in to the center of the camera axis. Rather than being an all together separate combat or viewing mode, we should simply be allowed to zoom in and out as desired, 1st person being “close enough to be inside.” aka, the camera’s central coordinates. This is not intended for combat, but why shouldn’t you if you wanna? Not only is this simple, it’s inherently in there. Always has been. There’s nothing to develop, they disabled it via creative decision making. They stated their position prior to launch that it creates a greater bond with the character as a separate entity from yourself. They don’t want you identifying with the character, or feeling a sense of immersion that you are experiencing the story for yourself. It’s your character’s story, not yours. This of course, completely defeats the purpose of “playing a role,” or playing the game at all. It’s absurd all the way around. I want to pretend that I AM THE NORN. I want to see what he sees. They don’t even have the decency 6 months after the official launch to address or even respond to the multitudes with logical, sound, practical reasoning as well as aesthetic. BACKPACKS. That’s what you want.

(edited by MichaelBaker.6541)

in Suggestions

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

+1!

I would love to see this for GW2! Such a beautiful world should be enjoyed as if you’re there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

There should be 3 options for us to choose.
1. FPV with no combat. Scenic mode only.
2. FPV with combat. Skyrim style.
3. No FPV, 3PV only.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Per Anet.

FPV is something they wish to add but is a low priority item.

Look for it maybe in an expansion pack

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

in Suggestions

Posted by: THE DOCTOR.3510

THE DOCTOR.3510

Imagine dodging on your asura in FPV.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They already stated in an older thread they can’t make such camera adjustments – it would require an enormous re-coding or seriously affect other parts of the game. It may be they’ll address it, but I’d expect it to be years away with their current to-do list.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfy.3708

Wolfy.3708

Hey guys, not sure if you know it but first person view was actually in the beta weekends, but they have removed it since then, so I doubt it will come back.

Creator of Quaggan’s Press (my blog!)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

Love to see you using a kittening arrow cart from a rampart in first person view.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

The entire way the game works, in so many little things, just wouldn’t work in first person.

Do you have any idea how many walls you’d be able to look through, and thus target through, and thus attack through?

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

@Wolfy.3708 – The first person view was only available on the developer client of the game and then only in a so called “testing mode”.

I would love to have this option in GW2 (like we had in GW1 … and for that matter, like you have in most other MMO’s). That said, I do understand some of the technical difficulties. At the moment, it seems that there isn’t any good way to make FPV work from an aestetic point of view … they would have to decide what to do with your character’s extremities (arms, hands, held equipment).

In GW1, your extremities just faded away, which worked fine – it’s the way it works in most games, unless you have for e.g. modeled and animated arms for first person view only, and a the usual fully animated character for third person, so basically, a model for each mode.

@Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025 – At the moment, you can see much more through walls or over objects in 3rd person mode due do the wide swing of the game’s camera and with GW2 not always having object collision properly implemented on some 3D assets. With proper object collision on doors, re-spawnable walls etc. the FPV target-through problem would be solved.

In terms of the other concerns, remember, we’re talking about an option to have the camera going into the first person organically, i.e. with the zoom wheel – naturally going into first person mode or exiting it. In other words, something that’s doable depending on the situation and the view you’d like to be in.

It would also be amazing if we had the ability to adjust the vertical offset of the camera so that we can position the center point of the PoV above our character’s head. Perhaps this could be a quicker solution than finding a suitable FPV mode … and besides, the game could certainly use more camera pivot height as it is.

(edited by Makovorn.1706)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

The fact that the camera is behind the player and hits objects wreaks havoc when you are near walls or in tight fitting caverns. The inability of the game to allow the player to change the point of origin of the camera to fix these problems baffling.