Guild Wars 2 real action combat

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henry.5468

Henry.5468

The first time I heard about Guild Wars 2, I found my self consistantly wanting to know more! Loved the idea, Your personal story and Events which would eliminate boring pick-up quests to kill! The first hour I tried the game I put it down because the combat sucks! Don’t get me wrong, the combat “System” is amazing! But the gameplay itself turned me away. Why, the same reason I have put down many MMO’s, boring Tab target combat. Not only that, but I always feel like ranged players have an advantage in PVP becuase, all they have to do is be locked to you and keep using spells, and it will always hit you, uness you role. untill; you run out of endurance, which isn’t very difficult.

But, when I read about the Combat Mode MOD someone had create, i actually started playing the game. Not only me, but my (2) brothers played it as well, and a friend. Without the combat mode MOD I would not be playing the game other wise, even though the game has many great ideas and features, if 80 percent of my story is combat, Then I will only enjoy myself 30 percent of the time, which is not enough for me. I am spoiled, from fighting games to true action mmo’s like Tera Online, (Although it is a boring grinding game, the combat kept me playing.) Having bad combat, is like watching a movie with the greatest story, but the camera work sucks! Only some people can bare through!

PLEASE Arena Net, Implement this feature!
Create (1) Server, that is all I ask for, to satisfy the Real Action Combat Hungry Players!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

It’s probably too late for that now; although I too wish they would have gone with a full action combat system.

I have played Vindictus, Dragon Nest, TERA and many others with action combat, and anything less just leaves me unsatisfied (it’s too bad that the quests and variety of activities to do in TERA were lackluster, else I would still be playing lol).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mordachai.1896

Mordachai.1896

I dont see what you are asking, really.

You say you put the game down after an hour because you think it sucked, but then you found this Mod which allowed you to enjoy the game. Ok, great.. so whats the problem exactly?

You want a server for just the people that use this mod? Not going to happen, Anet doesnt promote 3rd party programs

Or do you want a server that has a different combatmode then all the other servers? Not going to happen either, why would they create a seperate game in the game?

in Suggestions

Sollith.3502

I dont see what you are asking, really.

You say you put the game down after an hour because you think it sucked, but then you found this Mod which allowed you to enjoy the game. Ok, great.. so whats the problem exactly?

You want a server for just the people that use this mod? Not going to happen, Anet doesnt promote 3rd party programs

Or do you want a server that has a different combatmode then all the other servers? Not going to happen either, why would they create a seperate game in the game?

Unfortunately, while the Combat Mode script does bring the game closer to an action combat style, it can’t and most likely will never be true real action combat.

What the OP is asking for is the game to have the option for real action combat, by either switching the entire game over to such a style (which some players would definitely not like, since some players can’t even handle the easy mode jump puzzles in game) or in a more reasonable plea as the OP suggests; creating a dedicated server for such play.

While I wholeheartedly agree that real action combat is the way they should have gone in Gw2, it would be a disastrous decision to make after launching the game as it is now with probably some fairly dire consequences. In the future though, MMOs will be moved onto the action combat style as that is just where things are heading in game designs for such genres as it provides more control over actions than basing things off of raw numbers, relying on a players skill and versatility more than just mostly their gear/stats.

If Anet had truly wanted to take the MMO genre a step further than others they would have used the action combat style of game play, but as it is Gw2 is just a bit different than others.

TERA tried to bring true action combat to open world MMO’s. The combat was great, the races interesting, and the world was amazing to look at and run around in. They failed not because of the combat though, but due to lack of pretty much everything else in the game: questing was lackluster, dungeons were only okay, crafting was nothing new nor brought anything interesting, and it lacked variety in game activities; fishing, jump puzzles, and other stuff like that. It also relied too much on gear for an action based game (one level of difference in gear could make up for huge amount of skill difference). It ended up being closer to that of a f2p level of game than anything bigger (relies on a crutch of one or two interesting game elements, everything else is lackluster).

Take the feel of TERA’s, Vindictus’, or Dragon Nest’s combat and successfully transplant it into a game like Gw2 and you would have one monstrously amazing game…

Like I stated earlier though; it’s too late for a big mechanic change such as that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

sorry but GW2’s combat is WAY closer to true action combat than tera… before you get a real true action combat you need to be able to always move around while fighting, i thing tera does NOT allow you, but gw2 does…

in Suggestions

Sollith.3502

sorry but GW2’s combat is WAY closer to true action combat than tera… before you get a real true action combat you need to be able to always move around while fighting, i thing tera does NOT allow you, but gw2 does…

TERA allow plenty of movement…

Low tier play might not move around much, but in order to solo you have to be able to move around (unless you are a lancer, then you can just tank with blocking lol). If you look at my other BAM video from TERA, you will see lower tier play versus my second video where I move around a lot more due to better handling of the skills.

Besides, what players that want action combat are looking for is the aiming portion of it; in Gw2 it’s more like “lol whats aiming, I can hit things behind me just by hitting attack” (yes, I kow the line of sight stuff, but it’s almost a joke in Gw2 as I constantly end up targeting something not even on my screen when I want to attack something two feet in front me). Also, in these action combat games, it actually feels like you are hitting something, the attack telegraphing is almost always better, and there usually seems to be an appropriate “weight” to an attack.

Don’t get me wrong I am not saying Gw2 is bad, it’s great as it is and they have something that works. I am also not saying TERA is all that great beyond a few elements (mainly its combat, although I would have to say that Dragon Nest and Vindictus are better if you were to compare them; TERA was just a decent shot at bringing it to open world).

in Suggestions

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is not about having to move around in TERA it is about the inability to do so while you use your skills/attack.

Unless they have changed it (haven’t played since release) you are locked in position while using your skills. That is not especially actiony in my eyes.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

yeah waht lordkrall is waht i means

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

I hated that mod..didnt add anything to me, actually made it more cumbersome

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The first hour I tried the game I put it down because the combat sucks!

So you became an expert of GW2 combat in 1h?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Beefcake.9032

Beefcake.9032

I came from TERA to GW2 and when I tried the Combat Mode it was really great and helpful. Made targeting easier and gameplay was more fun/dynamic. It’s a shame that it’s been disallowed because it really wasn’t cheating or an exploit in my eyes. It pretty much just held rightclick in the center of the screen at all times except when you use skills.

Being able to Left Click for Attack 1 and Right Click for Dodge is such an intuitive control, it’s really sad that ANet haven’t implemented this themselves.

Wrainbash, Asura Warrior of Kodasch Allianz [KoA]
Du spielst auf Kodasch? Besuche doch mal die Kodasch Community Webseite! :)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Being able to Left Click for Attack 1 and Right Click for Dodge is such an intuitive control, it’s really sad that ANet haven’t implemented this themselves.

the combat is good as it is. The fixed cursor in the middle of the screen is an outdated idea that even FPS games try now to get rid of. It would be a bad idea for an RPG to implement that on default. Maybe an option to bind those keys will be more then enough for your request.