Half-Baked Komali

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

So twice in a row, my guild was fortunate enough to encounter half baked komali. The guy is a tank. The first few seconds of the fight he loses health relatively fast. Then at bout 75 percent he pops a fire shield and takes absolutely no conditions, blasts fire damage in circles, and has about 25 stacks of might. Anyone know how to get it off? We had 20 people on him and didnt kill him in time. There has to be a way. Do you think dragging him into the fire would help? I really havent figured this out yet.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Best is to work together and put condition removing fields down, revive anyone who goes down and try fighting him first before attempting the next bounty. At least we managed him with about 25-30 people. Other than the painful burn I can’t think of anything that was particularly tough to deal with unless he was bugged for us?

Attachments:

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

mesmer + steal his 30 second stack of 25 might + share boon signet = guild damage tripled = dead half baked

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

You had too many people on him. These guys scale up against you. We had Half Bake tonight with about 5 or 6 people and used conditions/combos really well. My mistfire wolf did some great dmg too.

If you have that many people you should consider the higher grade bounty hunts and spread out more.

The other half of our guild went looking for the Diplomat guy. We didn’t have enough people to find all 15 NPC’s before starting our event so we decided to leave the lower map NPC’s in hopes that if we got one, we could find them quick with little problem from the usual mobs. The idea worked and we found him and killed in time, but kitten 25 stack of confusion from one mob?

I want to make one thing clear, this post is not fanboy post for the bounty hunts. I detest any gaming idea that gates content for anyone, and I hate the way the guild missions have been published.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: jbera.6958

jbera.6958

I loved this guy! The name, the dialogue, the epic beat down race against the clock as he was our last T3 bounty and 50 of us were just having a blast. I pray they don’t change him!

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

You had too many people on him. These guys scale up against you. We had Half Bake tonight with about 5 or 6 people and used conditions/combos really well. My mistfire wolf did some great dmg too.

Ugh, sounds like ANet didn’t learn anything from the Balthazar temple.

Scaling seems to go haywire once it hits a certain number of characters in both cases.

Almost as if the scaling is set up to be exponential.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

Ya we started on him tonight with 4 or 5 people, things seemed ok. Once 20-30 people showed he went Beastmode and basically became invincible.

~Tarnished Coast~

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

We had him as well today and had a lot of people. Got him to 10%~ and ran outa time.
Tried to take out his buffs with Thief sword but his might was never-ending and soaked it all up. Need buncha Mesmers for him I guess. Does that remove his fire shield?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

This boss is contrary to everything ArenaNet has preached with Guild Wars 2. Extra people, especially non-guildmates, make it downright impossible. Guilds actually discourage people from helping. “Don’t attack” mechanics simply don’t work in the open world.

Beyond that, it seems like guild mission bosses scale too quickly. Some of them seem to randomly one-shot people once they scale too high. Bosses should scale up to get more difficult, but one-shotting on hard-to-avoid mechanics is unacceptable.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

“Half Baked Komali has a fire shield that makes him extremely resistant to damage and gains 1 stack of might every time someone attack him. To remove this shield, you must do the following: 1) Stop attacking Komali when the shield is up to avoid an increase in stacks of might 2) Use boon removals to stripe both his might stacks and stability. Once his stability is removed, you can use knockbacks to push him out of his circle, which cause him to lose the fire shield. It is very important to stop attacking him when he has the fire shield as not only you do no damage to him, you also cause him to gain might stacks, making removing his stability a pain. (strategy provided by vrava on reddit). "
http://dulfy.net/2013/02/27/gw2-guild-bounty-guide/#8

I hope this helps.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Scaling seems to go haywire once it hits a certain number of characters in both cases.

That might actually be on purpose. One of the new targets for the training mission is described as “2-MULT will anti-zerg your faces off.”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-bounties-bounty-hunt-time/1685868

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

That might actually be on purpose. One of the new targets for the training mission is described as “2-MULT will anti-zerg your faces off.”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-bounties-bounty-hunt-time/1685868

We have a winner.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Lopez.7369

So what are guilds supposed to do when a bunch of PUGs zerg the boss down? Just die?

You can’t have anti-zerg or “don’t attack” mechanics in the open world. They make absolutely zero sense.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Bail.

Muppetry like this exists in a lot of games in one fasion or another (Doomwalker hahaha), I suppose all of those “elitists” screaming out about learning encounter mechanics are still just infringing on everyone’s fun.

Of course it may only be a matter of time before the “Greifing” calls start…

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Lopez.7369

Doomwalker was redesigned specifically because its anti-zerg mechanics were too prone to griefing.

I can literally ruin an entire guild’s bounty mission by auto-attacking. It’s really terrible design.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

digiowl.9620

Sounds like the usual response when half-baked comes up is “forfeit and reroll!”.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This game was designed on strategy, not hack and slash. So if you go in Leeroying with no plan, Half Baked will drop you. If you fail and try again, and keep using the same strategy, and fail more, it’s not the game you should be complaining about.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

digiowl.9620

Funny, because most of the open world can be done via en mass leeroying, also known as zerging.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Smooth Penguin.5294

Funny, because most of the open world can be done via en mass leeroying, also known as zerging.

And yet you can’t kill Half Baked right?

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

digiowl.9620

Indeed. But if the game is designed for strategy, how come he is the exception rather than the norm? ANet fail?

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Smooth Penguin.5294

Indeed. But if the game is designed for strategy, how come he is the exception rather than the norm? ANet fail?

There’s a big difference between killing some random, roaming monster, and a boss bounty. Once you learn the this key difference, your skill level goes up +5.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

But how the heck do you come up with a strategy that involves people NOT IN YOUR GUILD?

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Smooth Penguin.5294

But how the heck do you come up with a strategy that involves people NOT IN YOUR GUILD?

See my quote from the other thread:

The way to get around the Guild size problem is as follows:

1) Make more friends
2) Invite more people to your guild
3) Join a bigger guild
4) Create an alliance with other guilds

As you can see, it’s really simple. By following one of the above options, you’ll have more people in which to do Guild Bounties. But if you can’t get others to join in on the bounty hunt, then these missions aren’t for you. Asking Anet to make an “easy mode” button is like asking them to water down the Claw of Jormag so you can solo him.

tl;dr – If you don’t have a group for a “Group Event”, you can’t do it. You can have up to 4 guilds at a time, so go make friends and join a larger guild. Otherwise, recruit more people to your own.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Lopez.7369

This game was designed on strategy, not hack and slash. So if you go in Leeroying with no plan, Half Baked will drop you. If you fail and try again, and keep using the same strategy, and fail more, it’s not the game you should be complaining about.

That’s not the point. Even if you go in with a guild full of perfect players, literally one person — meaning someone not with the guild, maybe even a guy leveling for the first time who just stumbles on a guild killing Half-Baked Kolami — can ruin the entire encounter by auto-attacking because it refreshes the boss’s stability boon. It makes the encounter downright impossible.

I’m fine with bounty missions being difficult. I think most of the bosses should be buffed so they’re not so easy to zerg down. But Half-Baked Komali isn’t difficult; it’s just poorly designed.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

digiowl.9620

There’s a big difference between killing some random, roaming monster, and a boss bounty. Once you learn the this key difference, your skill level goes up +5.

Random roaming my foot. Event bosses are regularly zerg stomped. If those required more strategy people may pause and think.

Never mind that the bounties are under a time limit, and so the pressure to finish is mounting.

It took WW1 general years to figure out what they were doing wrong with actual human lives on the line, don’t expect players used to seeing bosses getting zerged regularly having an epiphany within seconds of the engagement going pear shaped.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not everyone is at the same skill level. The unfortunate newbie trying to help may cause problems, but that’s where communication helps. Pm the guy, and tell him what you’re trying to do. If he doesn’t listen, back off, and allow him to be down, and not rez him back up.

Half Backed isn’t poorly design, but rather smartly designed. In order to kill him, you gotta know what you’re doing. You can’t just Glass Cannon or Zerg him. Half my team ended up on their rears on the ground, but we still manage to kill him. Lessons learned, and we’ll get better with each go.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Lopez.7369

Except if enough people are doing it, which is typical in a lot of servers, it’s not just one guy. It’s six, a dozen, or whatever. And what if the guy doesn’t get targeted and killed? Then what?

Not to mention that if anyone, particularly a random, CCs the boss, it gains 10 to 30 stacks of defiant. Then your entire raid has to strip stability 10 to 30 times to peel off defiant — and sometimes the stacks seem to bug and don’t wear off when CC is used. In a time-limited fight, that’s a pretty big error to have to make up for, all because one random didn’t know the encounter.

“Don’t attack” mechanics are fine in instances, but there are ways to build interesting or anti-zerg mechanics in the open world that don’t let a handful of randoms screw everything up.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azrael.7843

Azrael.7843

So today my Guild fought Half-Baked twice. The first time we just attacked him andwe didn’t took the fire shield in consideration. We barely failed the bounty, so we tried another Bounty and got him again. At the second try we did what was explained on Dulfy, meaning we stopepd attacking and then used a Mesmer to rip his boons and then used either a pull/push attack.

The frustrating thing is that he still kept his fire shield. Each time someone went to knock him away or to pull him. Since those pulling/pushing attack inflict damage he suddenly got a new stability and didn’t move an inch.

Now I’m wondering did we just had bad luck and he glitched on that fight or did it happen to somebody else? We did checked our defiant and tried with it and without it. Now for next time we will just use a Mesmer that shares his boons and randomly bash at him.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

We pulled him and I came prepared with a consumable plank on my thief. Basically, I hit 2(the plank knockback) and steal to coincide with the end of the plank animation, basically stealing might+stability and knocking him outta the fire in the same moment.

Took a couple tries to get the timing right, but I was able to pull it off in the middle of our party plus another giant zerg fighting him and he went down pretty fast after that.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

So today my Guild fought Half-Baked twice. The first time we just attacked him andwe didn’t took the fire shield in consideration. We barely failed the bounty, so we tried another Bounty and got him again. At the second try we did what was explained on Dulfy, meaning we stopped attacking and then used a Mesmer to rip his boons and then used either a pull/push attack.

The frustrating thing is that he still kept his fire shield. Each time someone went to knock him away or to pull him. Since those pulling/pushing attack inflict damage he suddenly got a new stability and didn’t move an inch.

Now I’m wondering did we just had bad luck and he glitched on that fight or did it happen to somebody else? We did checked our defiant and tried with it and without it. Now for next time we will just use a Mesmer that shares his boons and randomly bash at him.

My guild had Komali twice too and his shield was impossible to remove. We had read the tactic before but there was no circle at all and knocking him back after stripping his boon was without any effect. I don’t know if he bugs everytime for everyone but it did 2/2 for my guild. It’s pretty frustrating to find a bounty fast, know how you’re supposed to kill him, coordinate to do the strat and still fail because of a stupid bug. It’s time this bug gets looked at or Komali removed from the possible bounties until he gets fixed.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

My guild was tired to fail against Komali every time we had him in our bounty (which sadly happened a lot) : we tried everything, stealing boon, removing stability and defiance stacks etc… but it seems it relies on a lot of luck.

SO, we tried a new tactic and went full melee against him. We were something like 30+ people, all using melee weapons only and spamming aoe heal and aoe condition removal (water eles, ranger springs, necromancers wells…) and that is funny because he went down really fast and without barely any casualty.

I don’t know if we just got lucky or i it is a decent way to fight him everytime but we’ll definitely give it another shot next time we have him on bounty.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

digiowl.9620

meaning that shout-zerkers may be the way to go?

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

Thief can rip his boons with Flanking Strike right?

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Get a necro with well of corruption, focus 5, corrupt boon, lich form 5 etc can remove his boons and he’ll be dead in a minute.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Yeah. My guild actually has a team dedicated to fighting Komali. The prereq to join the team is it needs to be a class with non-damaging boon strips. Komali gains his boons on hit iirc.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Thief can rip his boons with Flanking Strike right?

Yes, but my method used steal (without mug) and the Bountiful theft trait, as well as the consumable wooden plank:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wooden_Plank

Which was, IIRC, under 2s per plank.

This allows a single thief (with the proper timing) to rip stability and might and launch Komali all at once, solving the fight for any number of attackers. It’s tricky to time, but no moreso than chaining any other attack with steal. The down side is if you get it wrong you’ve got to wait for steal to recharge. Any thief build with at least 20 in trickery can pull this off.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

Bring a necromancer if you want to zerg it. Have him bring convert boon. Bang 25 stacks of might becomes 25 seconds of weakness and the stability becomes fear, knocks him right out of the circle.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Supposedly, you have to stop attacking, remove his stability , and push him out of the circle.

But every time my guild encounters it, people around keeps attacking so it’s always at 25 stacks, boon removal/seal does nothing to his stability, only to might, and there’s no circle to push him out from.

Either it’s bugged, or all the guides are wrong and it must have some other trick no one knows.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thervold.2940

Thervold.2940

Ugh, none of the tactics our guild has tried seem to work. No amount of boon removal, even non-attacking variants remove stability. The fire shield cannot be removed and never falls off. Conditions drop off him for no apparent reason. The boon→condition converts are useless since all they do is reset the might as the weakness drops right off again. And all physical attacks deal < 100 damage. We tried fighting him with just five of us and couldn’t get him past 70% health. We tried with a full zerg of about 30+ and couldn’t get him past 40%. He seriously feels bugged.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Two weeks in a row our guild have failed on this guy. We know the tactics, we don’t let defiant stack up, using boon removal.. we push him whenever his stability is gone.. numerous times.. the fire shield just would not go away.

Please look at this mob for bugs.

Half-Baked Komali

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

I’m starting to think the mob is bugged… unable to knock him out of the shield even with not combat boon strips and knockbacks.

Also, we always get random people joining in and they keep attacking even when asked to stop…. worst GW2 bounty encounter we’ve done.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry