Higher Black Lion Key drop rate!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I need way more keys. I have 63 locked chests in my inventory, and no more keys. I had three of them at one point, but then I used them all up. In beta I once had a chain in which I got a new key out of about four chests in a row, but I haven’t found a key in a chest since launch. I need way more keys than I have.

For one thing, opening a chest should have like a 50/50 chance of dropping a new key, way higher than currently. For another, daily achievements should have a decent chance of dropping them, and monthlies should always drop a key.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: DinoDoll.3682

DinoDoll.3682

i think the key drop will always be low because the gap between chest drops and key drops are /meant/ to push us to use the cash shop to buy keys.

Remember, this game has no monthly sub. For devs to keep working on a game, they need to keep getting paid in some way.. so, people using the cash shop helps balance out not having a subscription fee, i think!

i doubt they will up the drop rate for keys…. nor do i really think they should either.

BLC /do/ have keys inside of them sometimes. It’s not 50/50, but its often enough so that i’ve gotten several keys from opening other chests.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

The real way to improve the black lion chest is to make it not drop kitteny stuff. Other then that it’s something to spend money on.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Noctis.8604

Noctis.8604

The real way to improve the black lion chest is to make it not drop kitteny stuff. Other then that it’s something to spend money on.

I agree with this. If I, personally, was to spend money on the in game cash shop… it wouldn’t be on keys. It’d be on boosters. Chests should drop more valuable items and shouldn’t give boosters. Or, if they do give boosters, have it put on a lower priority of having a chance to obtain them.

I’m sitting at 75 chests. I haven’t obtained a key in a daily quest in a long time. Maybe that’s what they should do… include the daily to always give you 1 key. That’s not too overpowered… is it?

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“I’m sitting at 75 chests. I haven’t obtained a key in a daily quest in a long time. Maybe that’s what they should do… include the daily to always give you 1 key. That’s not too overpowered… is it?”

I’d never buy a key that way. Honestly, more consistent good drops or effects or STUFF would be more enjoyable. Random effects on your characther, temporary legendaries, kitten that would be fun, would make you feel less stupid for opening 1’000 and not getting a rare skin.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

i think the key drop will always be low because the gap between chest drops and key drops are /meant/ to push us to use the cash shop to buy keys.

Remember, this game has no monthly sub. For devs to keep working on a game, they need to keep getting paid in some way.. so, people using the cash shop helps balance out not having a subscription fee, i think!

i doubt they will up the drop rate for keys…. nor do i really think they should either.

BLC /do/ have keys inside of them sometimes. It’s not 50/50, but its often enough so that i’ve gotten several keys from opening other chests.

If the rewards contained in the chests were better than they currently are, perhaps more folks would be enticed to purchase those keys. But as it is now, I won’t because of the awful rewards.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DinoDoll.3682

DinoDoll.3682

If the rewards contained in the chests were better than they currently are, perhaps more folks would be enticed to purchase those keys. But as it is now, I won’t because of the awful rewards.

oh i actually agree. i would buy keys too, but i feel like most of the contents aren’t really worth it.

Although….. it seems like they’ve added a fairly decent chance to get a second key now, at least in my experience, which makes opening them a little better, to me.

But… i’ve actually never gotten a single piece of armour or weapon from one. Maybe you’re not suppose to, actually. i dunno. i’ve only ever gotten like those ‘booster’ things.. and emm ‘tonics’. Even tonics would be nice to me (as an RPer) if the effects either could last longer… or.. there were more per stack (like a 10 stack, vs 3).

anyway, presently they don’t seem to have a high enough drop rate of .. items i’m interested in.. so i don’t bother with buying keys yet. i save my BLC though, just in case they ever change how they deal with the contents inside

in Suggestions

Posted by: Field Marshal.7946

Field Marshal.7946

I am also sitting on chests. I also would be willing to purchase keys if there was something of value inside the chests. The stuff I have been getting if 100% forgettable.

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

That would be cruel of them. It would take me over $50 to buy enough keys to get through the chests I’ve accumulated, and the contents of those chests, even if the RNG worked in my favor (which it NEVER does), would never be worth that. I might pay $5-10 for a guaranteed personal bank vault thing, but I’m not going to pay that much for a much of mystery tonics and a ton of random boosters.

I’m perfectly willing to spend money in the gem store, I’ve already purchased character and bank slots, but I won’t be spending cash money on lotto tickets, I’m not a redneck.

done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Prinny.4653

Prinny.4653

In beta I got several keys from monsters, however now, I currently have 2 characters at level 80, working on a third and haven’t gotten one key from a monster yet.

I have to agree with some people on this, due to the horrible drops, I’m not going to spend money buying Key.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

I have two level 80’s and working on my third. I think in total I have picked up 3 keys off mobs, and I have over 240 BLC. I have gotten more than enough junk from BLC with those and the ones from 100% maps and gold to gem purchases.

Chests are crap, better off to buy the items you want.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The chance to find keys in the chests seems to be pretty high, I recently unlocked ten chests just with keys contained in the ones I opened. Or that was just one in a million kind of luck.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Ive opened 6 chest, 2 with keys from a different chest. Anyways, I don’t think the problem is the super low drop rate, my biggest problem is that I have so many chest with nothing to do with them and no incentive to open them. If either of those problems were solved I think no one would care. As Gad suggested, drops actually worth the 125 gems would be nice.

My suggestion is that we should be able to throw them in the mystic forge for a low chance to get an unlocked chest, or something else in return.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

ANet just needs to start giving out Black Lion Keys with any gem shop purchase (maybe run it as an incentive). I’m actually not sure why they didn’t think of this for the Halloween-related items.

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

The chance to find keys in the chests seems to be pretty high, I recently unlocked ten chests just with keys contained in the ones I opened. Or that was just one in a million kind of luck.

Probably the latter, because since launch I’ve opened about ten chests and not found a single free key.

My suggestion is that we should be able to throw them in the mystic forge for a low chance to get an unlocked chest, or something else in return.

Yeah, I would happily chuck my 70+ chests into the forge in exchange for just about anything. Maybe some random dye, or some high level crafting materials, or just cash, something.

done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yinn.6507

Yinn.6507

Should keep it as it is. So people actually buy keys.

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

Should keep it as it is. So people actually buy keys.

No. I don’t begrudge ANet making money, but as things stand, BLChests and keys are a horribly corrupt method of doing so. They should only be providing value for our money, not the slight chance of value and more likely a lot of junk that you don’t want.

done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

I don’t know...

As a guy who does spend as much on gems as a pack-a-day smoker in New York spends on smokes, I can tell ya, it’s working just fine for me.

You don’t actually need to buy keys, as the chests don’t really get you anything too neat. But for those of us who like ’em, it works fine.

Maybe, instead of making suggestions like this, you should just get a little gold, as gems aren’t that expensive by gold, and keys don’t take that many gems.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

Maybe, instead of making suggestions like this, you should just get a little gold, as gems aren’t that expensive by gold, and keys don’t take that many gems.

At current exchange rates, ten keys would cost just under 8 gold. To take care of the 70 or so chests I’ve accumulated, I would need to spend 56 gold, which is about twice what I have between all my characters. No thank you.

Now, if they want to make gold easier to accumulate (without scamming or buying off gold farmers), or if they want to make it so that you can buy gems with Karma, then I’d be open to that, but all things being equal, I’d just prefer they make keys easier to get ahold of.

done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: poe lyfe.5879

poe lyfe.5879

what kinda lock breaks the key anyway? i think they should be more akin to lock picks in that they have a chance to break not always used up somehow.

Wintersday is for the Charr, also Meatober.

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

True. They should make a “Permanent Black Lion Key,” like the other permanent trinkets. That would make a good reward for completing story mode.

done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

The key drop is abysmal. I haven’t seen one drop in my 681 hours of playing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Strzalka.9451

Strzalka.9451

There really isn’t anything in the Chest worth having anyway.

Having a Permanent key would defeat the purpose, might as well not have the keys for sale, or even have the chests.

Diabel Zwierze/Ranger
80’s – Necro/War/Ele/Guard

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

Having a Permanent key would defeat the purpose, might as well not have the keys for sale, or even have the chests.

I would second that as well. Anything would work, I just don’t like getting all these chests that I don’t have any reasonable way to open (beyond spending 56 gold or $78USD on mostly useless junk).

done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

this also you can get gems by trading gold for them so it is fine the way it is

SFR

in Suggestions

Ohoni.6057

this also you can get gems by trading gold for them so it is fine the way it is

Like I said not six posts above yours, buying black lion keys with gold would take twice as much gold as I have between all my characters. It’s by no means worth it. If they want me to spend 56 gold to open my chests then they should have 56 gold worth of contents, not 1 gold worth of contents and an off chance of getting something useful too.

If “buying gems with gold and keys with gems” is the solution then they need to either:

A: make gold far more common.
B: make gems far cheaper to buy with gold.
C: make keys cost way fewer gems.
D: Make the contents of the chest guaranteed to be worth far more than they currently are, like at least one non-consumable goodie.

They can do any combination, or all of the above, but they need to do something, because he current status quo is just not fun.

done by now.”