Housing!

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeson Thackery.5927

Aeson Thackery.5927

It seems that the old Housing thread in this forum got too long apparently, and was closed, despite the excellent discussion. No reason was given, either.

Link to previous: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Housing/first

So I figured i’d start another to continue discussion

Some highlights from the other

*Fully customizable interiors
*Guild towns/neighborhoods
*Guild halls and customization within them
*Town invasions
*Instanced vs open world

My top feature right now is definitely the ability to fully customize the interior.

Your thoughts?

Discuss away!

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Metahari.1286

Metahari.1286

In ffxi you could get some boosts by placing different furniture in your house. The biggest one I remember had to do with the amount of exp you lost when you died, ie, it lessened the death exp penalty. we don’t have to deal with that, of course, but short time buffs on speed or magic find would be nice, if we take the time to visit our housing.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Two games that I know of have done housing/guild housing brilliantly. I’d highly recommend the team have a look at and try an emulate the quality of them, or not try at all. They are:

Everquest 2: It is so wonderful it’s a mini game all by itself. It really is amazing the detail they’ve put in to it and anyone that’s played the game I’m sure would agree it’s a benchmark.
Runes of Magic: They way they’ve made housing/guild halls functional and given them a significant use is novel.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: innocent ouarior.1954

innocent ouarior.1954

Best guild housing imo was City of Heroes (mourn).

Guilds had underground bases with crafting tables, banks, teleporters, raid portals and if you had an “items of power” it made your base raidable by other guilds, you could add defenses, lasers, canons and stuff.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Decomposing Brains.7538

Decomposing Brains.7538

I love the idea of a guild hall with housing aka a guild city where each player would have a let’s say 15×15 space (considering most houses in gw2 are about this sieze in the mesures i’m imagining) and a 50×50 space for the guild leader in the center of it (with extra options like a throne room)

but let’s be honest i’d love a start with just that main house where the king, guild leader, would build as he pleases, and on further releases the multiple player housing. I believe we need a better place to meet with our guildies instead of the current “just use a waypoint” that gets wayyy expensive and makes me sometimes avoid helping guildies outside WvW.

Alice Calieru
Thief – Support
Never drink with the apothecary, you can’t know what she puts on your drink…

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I just want a singular house with an Asura theme that I can customize that isn’t as open, static and unchanging as the Asura home instance.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alexandus.7802

Alexandus.7802

It would be lovely to have guild housing…. I could easily forsee something like a Charr encampment setting or bunks within the hero’s canton. Such a setup would also lend itself nicely to Roleplayers

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Non- instanced houses with today’s beautiful graphics would be a monumental improvement in the whole online gaming world!

And don’t forget developers could also make a game with the best crafting, or at least some fun, meaningful old school crafting.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

Non- instanced houses with today’s beautiful graphics would be a monumental improvement in the whole online gaming world!

And don’t forget developers could also make a game with the best crafting, or at least some fun, meaningful old school crafting.

I agree! I just don’t know if there would be a feasible way to do it… :/ Unless they did an entire zone to it.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

There’s so many players in this game. I don’t know if implementing that much persistent housing could be done without sacrificing the integrity and beauty of the game. See, I’d want housing in the Grove. Me and thousands of others, I’m sure. I seriously doubt that thousands of persistent player homes in the Grove could be created without the place looking like a huge hornet’s nest.

I think instanced neighborhoods is the way to go.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stealth Paladin.4361

Stealth Paladin.4361

I would think it would be pretty awesome if guilds or sufficiently rich persons could build an instanced zone onto any outpost, fort, tower, etc besides the towns. This would give the feel of having a place in the world without crowding the world. It would also give players motive to defend and/or upgrade places in story mode giving guilds a local influence over the area they picked.

One Asura gate becomes available near sentry points. Perhaps special requirements to setup in some crazy place like Orr and have your own guildie-only waypoint maintained.

Would be also cool if towns start out barely bettter off than the supply camps in WvW and level up to be more like the central citadels with some flair and siege weapons!

(edited by Stealth Paladin.4361)

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

They could take housing to a whole new level in GW2. Show the whole MMO world just how much better it is. If they provided us with the right tools you know some clever talented people would run with it and make things that would blow folks minds.

Look at the game out there that would have died if not for player created content. With a feature like this they could very well have player made dungeons (subject to Anets testing) etc. The possibilities are endless if the tool are there.

Do i think it would happen? No
But dont stop a man dreaming

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

i like house system :P

Housing!

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

They could take housing to a whole new level in GW2. Show the whole MMO world just how much better it is. If they provided us with the right tools you know some clever talented people would run with it and make things that would blow folks minds.

Look at the game out there that would have died if not for player created content. With a feature like this they could very well have player made dungeons (subject to Anets testing) etc. The possibilities are endless if the tool are there.

Yea, agreed. If they really apply themselves, they have the potential to do great things! I’m slightly skeptical at the moment…but we’ll see!

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

Yea, agreed. If they really apply themselves, they have the potential to do great things! I’m slightly skeptical at the moment…but we’ll see!

Thing is with such a feature they would be making their current customers VERY happy, and attract many others. From gamers who like just love housing (there are alot just look at the ammoutn that joined Rift because of it introduction) to those that see building tools are a game in itself.

Imagine if GW2 had a toolset like Neverwinter Nights had? The possiblities are staggering. Im probably being a little overly ambitious I know but hey im a man child who likes to geek out now n then

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I’ve seen this done with Aion.

They have a whole area dedicated to housing to pull this off. If you can afford a house or better, your home is non-instanced and players can come and go unless you set your home to allow only your friends.

If you can not afford your own house, you get a free apartment that is instanced and requires you to bring friends instead of your friends being able to drop by.

The bigger the home, the more you can put in. The free studio apartment has a limit of 20 pieces of furniture.

All players get a “gateway” skill that takes them to their home from anywhere in the game.

Housing mortgages and some furniture become gold sinks. Player crafted furniture can shift the TP prices on a lot of items since the vain will want top tier furniture and could draw attention away from other items that are overly priced causing those prices to go down or it can make the prices worse since players will need more gold to pay their mortgages.

Cabinets allow for additional storage and are on set timers. Typically 30-60-90 day timers. This causes cabinets of all sorts to become gold sinks.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

The way they closed the most constructive thread on this forums gives me really pessimistic thoughts.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Air.6452

Air.6452

Housing should be limited to Guild halls. This way more players are inclined to join a guild, which will increase the social aspect.

In terms of housing benefits, I have seen Runes of Magic do a very good job at this, different furniture will benefit with different buffs. Lets say that if you log out in your house that has a shrine and a tree and log in 24 hours later, you have a 50% exp buff and 10% MF for 1hr.

Chody – Leader of We Came To Dance GW2
Crystal Desert
We Came To Dance [WCTD]

Housing!

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

Housing should be limited to Guild halls. This way more players are inclined to join a guild, which will increase the social aspect.

In terms of housing benefits, I have seen Runes of Magic do a very good job at this, different furniture will benefit with different buffs. Lets say that if you log out in your house that has a shrine and a tree and log in 24 hours later, you have a 50% exp buff and 10% MF for 1hr.

Disagree massively, many, maaany people want their own housing. Would be better for Anet too in terms of money. But I do still definitely want guild halls, in addition to our own houses.

And don’t worry kitteno, it’s back i wont let it die haha

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kantharr.2308

Kantharr.2308

Disagree massively, many, maaany people want their own housing. Would be better for Anet too in terms of money. But I do still definitely want guild halls, in addition to our own houses.

I agree with Aeson but what would be nice is if you join a guild you could have your house be moved to the other guild members so they could be your neighbors. But when you leave or get kicked out of the guild then your house would be moved back to it’s original place.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Air.6452

Air.6452

My only reservation about housing is that it is a lot of work on Anets part to incorporate housing into a game that they never had the intention of doing it in.

Most games that allow housing either had it from the start, or took a long time to develop it. Aion for example took almost 2 years to implement 3.0 with housing, and it was something they had planned on doing.

Start small, guild halls are a good start and encourage socialization between members.

Chody – Leader of We Came To Dance GW2
Crystal Desert
We Came To Dance [WCTD]

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

now we all know that in Guild Wars 1 there was Guild halls. but i love the idea of having a guild town instance and in the instance and only guild members would be allowed in unless you pay like in Guild Wars1 for a guest invite. now another idea wich i would love seeing is the ability to take like the borderlands map and make that as a guild town now what i mean is like the map size. and you can buy with gold small buildings and player homes for guild members. kind of like mixing the Sims and guild wars 2 together. now i also got to look at arena nets developers team wich their are alredy busy with wintersday and such. they have a lot on their plate at the moment. but the question would be how would you build the town.well herse what i beleave what would work. a basic building set like that of the sims. but also if you could have like a Creation kit like that of skyrim but encorporate that into the game and have a set up like a check box that you can slect who can change the town so that way lets say the oficer of the guild has a great idea for changing a town square and have the officer beable to make that change but ill get into that in a little bit. but take the creation kit and put it into guild wars 2. and lets say that adding a tree costs 20 silver a fountan 1gold a house small 10 gold and such into the creation kit. just an idea

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valkadesh.7280

Valkadesh.7280

I don’t have a lot to add that hasn’t already been said, but I will always support a push for housing. It’s an overlooked feature that can benefit the game in so many ways (better crafting, increased player retention, better economy/trading, better “world feel”, etc) As someone who enjoys combat in MMOs but stays for the social/ancillary elements I was really disappointed at how throwaway the home instances were. I’ve spent a few hundred hours in-game and I’ve spent maybe 15minutes of that time in my home instance. If GW2 did get a proper housing system, I could see myself sticking around for quite some time. As it stands, I’m actually looking at other games that have housing/are implementing housing with the primary thing standing in the way being that they’re usually not as polished or too grear/raid focused as well (I’ve given serious consideration to Rift recently with Dimensions but their implementation of a lot of things seems rushed/clunky and there’s too much of a focus on instanced content).

Speaking of Rift and dimensions, that is another good reason why housing should be seriously considered. That is, the fact that the genre is starting to acknowledge housing again, and there is a fairly large group of the MMO community clamoring for a good game with good housing. Rift added Dimensions, Wildstar is touting their housing system, and Dragon’s Prophet being published by SoE is pushing housing as one of it’s big features. As I said before, player housing is fantastic for player retention, and if you want players to feel invested and part of your world, there’s no better way to do that than by giving them a small piece of it to call their own.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I want instanced. And I want to be able to invite people. As many kitten people as I want or at least 10.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

Housing!

in Suggestions

Wanko.8103

My only reservation about housing is that it is a lot of work on Anets part to incorporate housing into a game that they never had the intention of doing it in.

They planned housing like a few years ago.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draymos.5489

Draymos.5489

I would love guild halls and player housing for sure. A place for placing trophies and pets to wander about.

They can add player housing that doesn’t take away from world looks. They can make it instance for example if you want to see someone’s house click player house and you can look inside but can’t take anything etc. Player housing could be instance around guild halls like inside them etc.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

They planned housing like a few years ago.

Yes, kitteno is right, housing has been planned since the early stages of development, it just wasn’t finished by release, so it is going to be added after.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

I hope they have a good view of some of the more interesting player housing ideas (from SWG’s player cities to Rift’s dimensions). I’d buy Rift just for the housing system if I didn’t find the game itself so tedious.

SWG…well, SWG seems to become more appreciated with time. Regardless, they should impliment something that can be its own hours-of-gameplay experience. With the culling and latency issues we’re having here, I’d recommend instanced and easily accessed too.

Not to get my hopes up but…what’s in this “expansion-worth” of content being released in January and February? That has me excited.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grimmsever.8049

Grimmsever.8049

They could make the housing instanced, and it should be customizable. It’d just give the game a fun feature and a fun hobby to . I’m all for housing!!! Please give us housing!!!
What would it take for them to take this seriously?

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grimmsever.8049

Grimmsever.8049

Also, I don’t know how legit this post is, but apparently its from arenanet, and they are saying they’re not implementing housing, to put it into the suggestion subforum.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/238042-what-happend-to-housing-and-what-are-anets-plans-for-gw2s-future/

Housing!

in Suggestions

Wanko.8103

Also, I don’t know how legit this post is, but apparently its from arenanet, and they are saying they’re not implementing housing, to put it into the suggestion subforum.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/238042-what-happend-to-housing-and-what-are-anets-plans-for-gw2s-future/

This moderator meant that there is no housing in game yet.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Biscuitasylum.9630

Biscuitasylum.9630

I was rather shocked to find there is no Guild Halls in the game. That was a huge sales point for myself with Guild Wars 1. You had an area of your own. It’s like they went backwards with Guild Wars 2 on a lot of things. Personally, I’m not all that impressed with the game as a whole. It doesn’t have that “slap in the face” stand out from the crowd feel as GW1 did. I don’t see myself spending 7 years on GW2, especially without areas of our own. Whats the point in calling it Guild Wars if you cant have a guild. Makes absolutely no sense.

Housing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

I loved the Hall of Monuments back in the first Guild Wars. You could dedicate prestigious weapon skins, elite armor skins, titles and achievements, minipets, and statues of the heroes with upgraded armors.

I would like that in GW2. It made people interested in titles, owning minipets, weapons, armors, etc. So why not? Currently titles are worthless and don’t have any prestigious value. You have to click on someone in order to see their title, which is a big downgrade from the first game. Adding something like this would make it fun to own titles while at the same time provide different statues for your house/home instance.

Also they should make an NPC that’s a straight descendant of Kimmes the Historian :P that way you can toggle your character and account achievements on and off. So if you dedicate weapons, armor, minipets, titles, etc to your home instance on.. let’s say.. your level 80 Necromancer character, you could simply talk to this NPC to also show the achievements for your level 80 Mesmer character AND your level 55 Ranger without tempering with personal story NPC’s. So all of your minipets, weapons, armors, etc will be displayed account-wide or character-wise depending on what you want.

Also the Hall of Monuments is still standing in GW2 :P just saying lol. Why not make some sort of “portal room” in your home instance for portals leading to different places around the world? Like to your order’s headquarters, to different big cities, and to the HoM itself? Make it so that each portal needs a “key” to be activated and make Mystic Forge recipes of each key. Ofcourse the Hall of Monuments key should use the HoM teleportation stone, or the key itself should just be the teleportation stone alone. Each home instance is visited at like level 2-3 and characters do spawn with the HoM stone so people will still get their Hall of Monument rewards after completing the tutorial zones.

It’d be nice to include the GW2 Hall of Monuments just incase space becomes an issue. Some home instances are bigger than others, so it’d be wise to use the Eye of the North instance as an extra home linked to your home instance that can be repaired through services from housing NPC’s, unless you guys want to keep that hole on the floor as a pool and the hole in the side as a window to see Jormag