How I think WvW should be

in Suggestions

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Before I start, let me tell that WvW was a very good idea from developpers. In all videogames I’ve played, I’ve never really enjoyed PvP. In WoW for example, I was really bad at 1v1 situations simply because I wasn’t a stuff farmer. In GW2, it’s different. I can show the ennemy that I am smart, not just stuffed like hell.

Well… Even if it’s great sometimes, WvW is lacking things, everyone seems to agree with this. For example, sometimes, you just end up thinking, “Hey, why am I doing this for?”. Achievements? Fun? Ephemere victory? And then, none of these reasons seems to satisfy you…

So, let’s talk about several points and ideas.

• WvW : A Battle in The Mists

WvW is standing in the Mists, described as a “huge and mysterious” battlefield. I think that, WvW is lacking the “huge and mysterious” part. When you enter this portal, you’ll always know where you are going. The same battlefield, everyday, maybe a different side though.

My point is that the developpers could exploit that idea of “battlefield where you never know where you are going”. Every battle could have different battlefields, landscapes. That implies deleting vistas, point of interests, etc. well, map completion from WvW and make battles last a month, to let developpers the time to developp new maps.

• WvW : A Battle where YOU Build

In WvW, you can capture keeps, upgrade them, repair walls, doors, etc.. and that’s great! but these keeps are always on the same spots ; you’ll never build them yourself, you’ll never choose between several architectures.

My point is that, you could put “spots” for players to build on. For example, a huge square on the floor would tell players: “Here you can build a keep. Or another supply camp, since there are ressources around. CHOOSE.”, “Okay, so most players voted keep. Do you want a keep like this, or like that?”… “Now, bring supply and start building! Build the walls, the door, the tower, etc..”.

And then ennemy could try to stop this. And then players would try to protect it. It’s their keep! They have chosen to build it! They want to save it!

That would create a huge map which, when the first player arrives, nothing is built on, and they would have to do everything themselves.

• WvW : Rewards & Glory

We arrive to the main point. Objectives, rewards, glory! This is what should be WvW, when you arrive in the Mists. A place to collect ressources for your server, to build an empire on!

My first idea would be about ranking players. You could give them points for killing ennemies, building, conquering! And then the best players would be given the possibility to command, to have a blue icon with their name on the map, and not a guy who paid 100 gold!

Others would also be given karma, gold, insignas, skins as rewards! Do you see my point? Players would have tons of reasons to help their server!

Then we get to an another point: Server Rewards. Currently, you have to fight for a score, and the more points you get, the more your server has good bonuses. Generally, the good bonuses are there in the end of the week, and then, the next week, everything is erazed. A bit sad, that why I think it could be better. Different.

First, I think the score should be a tool to compare your progression on the map to others servers, but it should not be the main reason you fight for. You fight for ressources, to gather bonuses for your world ; and your ennemies want the same thing, so you are fighting harder. For example, the reason you would want to control a big mine would be “getting ore to increase the power of your homeworld by creating more weapons and armors”. And if you fight enough, in the end of the month, you’ll get like +1-2% of power against monsters, something like this.
Those bonuses should be slow, so that the maximum is really loooong to reach. So that the battle for ressources never ends.

• WvW : Unexpected Events

Imagine a huge dragon like Tequatl attacking a castle that you’ve built ; that’s the kind of unexpected things I’d love to see in WvW. That could be a good solution for several things ; the dragon could attack the winning server, because he’s powning everyone else, and he could give good reo fwards (precursors, lot of karma) to encourage servers to win against others servers to have a chance to face this dragon.

Of course, it doesn’t need to be huge scaled all the time ; Hyleks attacking your camp, a Demon Portal opening in your keep, etc…

-

Well, I think that I have said everything I had in my head. My brain needs to rest, now I hope that some ideas interested you (and sorry for bad english, I’m French) and I’m curious to see the reactions of others players so, post a comment!

(edited by Keiran.1896)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Honestly , if this game was about only WvW , then those would not be such bad changes.

But , it is not.

To get those implemented the WvW player will be waiting a few years …

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch