How to put more emphasis on crafting

in Suggestions

Posted by: Regenc.9256

Regenc.9256

My suggestion is to reduce the drop rates of craftable items drastically and to increase the amount of crafting materials dropped/ available.

What would this do?
- Crafting would become more important and necessary.
- Players that would have previously obtained the drops would undercut the crafters less in the Black Lion Trading Company.
- From less drops, the craftable items would be worth more what materials it takes to craft them than what the price in the market is from the players that obtain the drops.
- The developers might be more inclined to make unique uncraftable, and cooler looking, items that could only be obtained from drops as a replacement

What issues are there that could come of this?
- It may be more difficult for players to get top tiered items if they are not good crafters where they deserve these items because they are good at other aspects of the game
- There would be a large market shift initially from the change in supply given by the game, this could cause issues for developers having to recalculate the prices they have already set at npc’s.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Spooky Mulder.1524

Spooky Mulder.1524

Wouldn’t it be more effective to simply stop rewarding crafting with xp? Right now, many people craft for the xp alone, flooding the tp with crafted items.

If crafting no longer gave xp….
-non-crafter’s mats end up on tp, driving down mat prices.
-non-crafters buy gear since they don’t craft it, driving up crafted gear prices.

Maybe I’m missing something but this seems like an easy fix.

Commander Minerva Vix
[CoSA]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Suggestions

Regenc.9256

I like your idea, that would be a good solution, but I think to a different problem. My point here is that if someone gets a craftable item as a drop, say that item costs 5 gold on the trading post, or for a crafter to make it, the player that obtained the loot has nothing to loose so they may sell it at say 3 gold. This becomes a real issue when many players perform the common practice of “lower by 1 for the top spot” and the price becomes a big loss for the crafters whose materials are still at 5 gold.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LizLemon.7843

LizLemon.7843

Yeah, because everyone wants to play a game that is less rewarding to all for the sake of those who craft? Is that what you are saying??? I don’t craft, nor do I want to and it takes me all day to make one gold coin — maybe I don’t understand what you are saying but it’s not Craft Wars, lol,

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

There are people who dont craft and there are people who craft, best to leave it that way. Changing crafting mechs will mess with the economy.

Making crafting unnecessary keeps the prices low encouraging people to use real money to buy gold to buy stuff. Making craft necessary would only increase the prices on tp and probably discourage people from spending real money to get gold to buy that gear they really want for example.

Those who dont have real money to spend or just dont want to, craft and make their money to buy the stuff they want.

The suggestion is interesting but doesn’t really improve anything, only complicates matters.

in Suggestions

Regenc.9256

Yeah, because everyone wants to play a game that is less rewarding to all for the sake of those who craft? Is that what you are saying??? I don’t craft, nor do I want to and it takes me all day to make one gold coin — maybe I don’t understand what you are saying but it’s not Craft Wars, lol,

Yea that is where the downfall is. Check out the solution to that issue though:
- You get the same stated loot its just not loot that is craftable. So a nice little substitute for those that dont want to have to craft.

in Suggestions

Regenc.9256

There are people who dont craft and there are people who craft, best to leave it that way. Changing crafting mechs will mess with the economy.

Making crafting unnecessary keeps the prices low encouraging people to use real money to buy gold to buy stuff. Making craft necessary would only increase the prices on tp and probably discourage people from spending real money to get gold to buy that gear they really want for example.

Those who dont have real money to spend or just dont want to, craft and make their money to buy the stuff they want.

The suggestion is interesting but doesn’t really improve anything, only complicates matters.

Im not sure I follow you because the trading post is designed so that you do not have to spend real money. That is why there is a currency exchange. There are ways in the game to make the money needed for crafting. However my suggestion here is looking at the well known fact that you will loose money if you craft in Guild Wars 2, and the only real, end, benifit from it is that you can craft items for others or yourself.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Wait i may have read something wrong. you are saying increase mats drop and reduce item drops. Either way economy will be affected, prices will probably drop in tp since there will be an increase in supply and a drop in demand. Getting armour wont be very rewarding, and overall it still doesnt improve but makes things complicated. It already takes a while for the economy to form a picture for A net so they can make other changes that directly or indirectly affect it. Turning things upside down now doesnt help anyone.

You already said most of this anyway in your OP. They are more than enough reasons not to do anything with mats drop rate even though It would be nice for people like me who don’t craft.

Also dropping the craftable item drop rates and increasing materials for craft doesnt increase the value of the item being crafted because it wont be difficult to craft items or hard to get the materials. Two reasons why things like the legendaries are so expensive but don’t really help anyone except make them look “cool”

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I would like to see all items made ‘consumable’.
Armour, weapons, jewellery would slowly loose effectiveness and break over time. Then you’d replace it.

Yes I know, people would scream and cry, but it’s been similarly done in other games and it can work wonderfully.

in Suggestions

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

I’d like to see crafting just taken to another level. As it is, (except for jewelers atm) you can craft the best-in-slot items, but I’d like to see it taken even further. Let me give an example of what I’m thinking so it doesn’t come off the wrong way:

As a maxed out weaponsmith, I can make pearl weaponry (which, IMO, is kinda of ugly considering you can’t change the color to make it match with most things). If you wanted to get real fancy (such as anything with with particle effects for example) I would need to do one of a couple things:
A) farm dungeon rewards
B) farm everything in hopes of / buy from TP a precursor (or epic-looking exotic)
C) play the grind and RNG game for a legendary from the MF

As a weaponsmith, I’d love to see them add some very nice skins (particularly with particle effects :P) to my crafting profession. They don’t have to be stronger then the pearl gear or anything, I would just like to be able to craft something that flat out makes a person want to do a Zelda “Item got!” emote and show it off.

Of course, I had some ideas for that way back when in a monster-hunter inspired epic gear suggestion thread that’s been long since buried.

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

IMO, don’t change the way crafting works now, just make more craftable items with difficult to get recipes. I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be able to craft dungeon armor.

Why not make the armor skin recipes 500 dungeon tokens each? Say you want to craft the CoF armor, that’s 3,000 dungeon tokens for the full set and then the armor itself is a bit pricey, something like the standard recipes but with Molten lodestone reqs: 5 for head, arms, shoulders and feet, 10 for chest and 8 for legs.

Or if you want to keep the dungeon armor as is, introduce new recipes w/ nice skins at the laurel merchants and/or make them very rare drops from high-level baddies.

At the moment, crafting is a leveling mechanic but has little utility beyond that.

I also think it’s time to add ascended items to the crafting professions or at least ascended “precursors” that you can use in the mystic forge. Limited to rings, neck and back atm.

Sanctum of Rall

in Suggestions

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

dungeon tokens for recipes to craft the appropriate armour and weapons? …huh…. where do i sign?

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22