I would like to see fishing added in the future

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vince.7291

Vince.7291

After leveling 2 characters to 80, i was thinking that it would be nice to have some peaceful fishing sessions between WvWvW and Orr farming.

My opinion that an interesting fishing mechanic would add a lot to the game, and we would have even more reasons to admire the beautiful scenery across Tyria… :P

What do you guys think?

Also it would be really nice to know if the devs have even considered to add fishing in the future…

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Yes yes YES!!!! absolutely! It’s the only thing I really miss in GW2.

The only thing I miss from WoW is fishing, late at night 3 am GMT or so, sitting somewhere at a lake with 2 or 3 people, 1 horde, 2 alliance. Each just quietly sitting there enjoying the relaxing atmosphere of Azeroth at night. Unfortunately Blizzard killed that by making fishing available in Dalaran at lvl 1 or I might still be paying for my fishing license, ahum, subsciption.

Fishing is such a relaxing thing to do in video games just as much as in real life.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: tasaunders.3746

tasaunders.3746

Fishing would be awesome, yes and would make a lot of sense with all the fish you see swimming around.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

The devs said in an interview a few months back that they wanted to implement fishing, “but could not get it right” and that they’ll try to implement it in a future update or expansion.

But of couse, I can’t find the source anymore :/

in Suggestions

Posted by: Salamol.7963

Salamol.7963

Not something I’d thought about or felt was missing… though I’m sure if a whole bunch of threads spring up about it I’ll start to want it.

Follow me: @Salamolign
Mist Angels [Mist] – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

That would be lovely…

in Suggestions

Vince.7291

Not something I’d thought about or felt was missing… though I’m sure if a whole bunch of threads spring up about it I’ll start to want it.

Hehe, go with the flow, right? :P

in Suggestions

Vince.7291

Think about it: a peaceful night, fishing in the Cursed Shore…)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

If they can implent it right and make it interesting and useful to the game I have nothing against it.

But if it’s going to be anything close to the World of Warcraft kind of fishing I think we are better off without it.

The fishing is very stale and not that interesting. Standing still waiting for the bobber to move. No thank you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Think about it: a peaceful night, fishing in the Cursed Shore…)

“Relax…die!”

Big yes for fishing!
Water is so huge part of the world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Why not. Oddly I really enjoy fishing in games. >.> Can’t stand it IRL though.

There is a lot of nice scenery so it would be pretty enjoyable I would think, outside of Orr fishing (I will never fish there ever! lol; the respawns T_T). Would be nice to have something else to do on “exploration” side of things, if it can fall under that.

I do recall them mentioning fishing before, think when people asked if it was tied to cooking. They wanted it to be a separate entity to cooking I believe. Which, either way, it would be interesting to see in the future if it happens.

in Suggestions

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

No it would destroy our community…

lol yeah I would love fishing. I miss it from UO, EQ, and WoW. Just something to do when there is nothing you really want to invest a lot of time in.

I’m tempted now to reactivate my WoW account just to fish!

in Suggestions

Vince.7291

If they can implent it right and make it interesting and useful to the game I have nothing against it.

But if it’s going to be anything close to the World of Warcraft kind of fishing I think we are better off without it.

The fishing is very stale and not that interesting. Standing still waiting for the bobber to move. No thank you.

There is one thing that puzzles me… Tyria is such a wonderful place, every view looks like it has been painted…. But almost all the players (myself included) fail to take note of that and just rush from zone to zone, event to event, never slowing down to take notice of the beautiful landscape around them.

Now imagine finding a solitary rock over a river, getting your fishing rod out and start appreciating Tyria in a whole new way…

(edited by Vince.7291)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Fishing, sure? Why not!

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

in Suggestions

Posted by: Griden.2174

Griden.2174

Yes please!

Alternatively, or better – additionally:
Make fish drop some interesting stuff, so I am motivated to dive and hunt them with a spear/harpoon/trident…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

There is one thing that puzzles me… Tyria is such a wonderful place, every view looks like it has been painted…. But almost all the players (myself included) fail to take note of that and just rush from zone to zone, event to event, never slowing down to take notice of the beautiful landscape around them.

Now imagine finding a solitary rock over a river, getting your fishing rod out and start appreciating Tyria in a whole new way…

Might be that for you, and other players, but not for me.

I have been exploring this game a lot, I have looked at it’s beauty and taken in much. I have stood in the same spot for many minutes just to look at one thing, and whatnot. I have learned New Krytan to be able to read the stuff ArenaNet writes, either it be posters in Lion’s Arch, or small hidden writings on stonewalls in a hidden area.

Even if you implent fishing, I don’t think other players will stand still and take in the scenery. They will just start fishing, grab the fish, and then continue elsewhere, doing it as fast as possible, as with everything else.

Even though fishing, World of Warcraft style could be added, I don’t think it’s really something new and exciting. I think ArenaNet could remake it even better, cooler and more interesting than anything if they want to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Satans Chosen.1024

Satans Chosen.1024

Sure. It’s a great way to chat and still have our characters do something. I hope they also add fish cooking recipes to make use of the seafood we catch. We should also be able to occasionally fish up random fun items from the water.

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

The devs said in an interview a few months back that they wanted to implement fishing, “but could not get it right” and that they’ll try to implement it in a future update or expansion.

But of couse, I can’t find the source anymore :/

I’ll take you as the source of a rumour I’m happy with over no source at all I promise I won’t blame a.net until I find a first hand source.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

If they would actually make it useful, sure. But fishing for the sheer joy of catching vendor trash, meh, you can keep that noise.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

in Suggestions

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

Not to call us Lemmings or anything like that but whenever there is a reason to be someplace, chances are we will be there. LOTRO’s fishing was actually pretty fun – there were spots that had certain types of fish and when you needed that for a recipe, you packed your gear and went on a fishing trip. Pretty fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

i wanna catch exotic fish in brisban wildlands

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

in Suggestions

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

imagine the items they can sell on the BLC. Fishing outfits which give you a bonus to fishing, fishing poles of different makes, lures, etc.

They may make a lot of money selling fishing related items on their cash shop.

in Suggestions

Vince.7291

I really hope that the devs will take a look over this thread, there are some wonderful ideas floating around!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catbriar.4195

Catbriar.4195

The fishing in Rift is an exemplary model. You can target where your cast is going to land, and the targetable area changes its graphic to indicate whether you’re going to fish in a pool or shallow or deep water. You can get shinies (and every game needs collectable shinies, nothing addicts my family more =) or treasure chests with recipes and money in them. Oh, and fish. :}

Also the ability to make lures from the common fish is pure genius. I really love fishing and being able to have little farms. I’d thoroughly enjoy being able to raise vegetables, spices, egg laying hens and such on a homestead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Himsa.4136

Himsa.4136

fishing was sorta fun in lotro, I agree! Wouldn’t mind having this!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I would love it- there are so many beautiful spots in the game.
give it a sitting/standing animation option and tie it into cooking, make your own better and better lures and it could be awesome.
Different spots could have different kinds of fish that you need specific lures for…
great idea OP

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

If they ever add fishing, they need to add treasure maps like in Ultima Online too.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ironzerg.3196

ironzerg.3196

No.

I’d rather seem them spend their resources on new PvE dungeons, weapon and armor skins, PvP modes or new special events.

in Suggestions

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

Why not? more things to do besides the usual grind are always welcome. Plus it’ll encourage people to visit maps they don’t usually go to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Why not? more things to do besides the usual grind are always welcome. Plus it’ll encourage people to visit maps they don’t usually go to.

Exactly. GW2 needs more fluff activities. Fishing, housing, eventually mounts, stuff players can look forward to collect. “Surprise” activities like random treasure maps, possibly even made dynamic so you have to roam the world to find the treasure, and no map is like the other, and even group treasure maps where you need to defeat a boss with help at the end before you can grab the treasure.

The more variety the better. And a GW2 developer recently said they want such a broad range of activities that when you log in, you wonder what do to so many choices you have.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

Its a no from me, I am not even a little interested in it

in Suggestions

Posted by: PolleyPocket.9162

PolleyPocket.9162

i would love to do fishing in game!!! would sink more hours in2 the game :-D and would give it even more depth throughout leveling and end game.

[JEDI] Yoda Smyth – Scrapper Engie- Vabbi EU
Emporer Palpatine – Tempest Ele

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ritual.6710

Ritual.6710

Massive love for Fishing in MMOs here – I’d like to see a system similar to FFXIV’s – for all the things that game did wrong, it’s fishing was really fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

No.

I’d rather seem them spend their resources on new PvE dungeons, weapon and armor skins, PvP modes or new special events.

It seems like we are already getting those in spades, except for the skins and I’m sure there will be more of those too.
This is just something that will be generally nice for the game that is not set in a dungeon or tied to a one time event. A way to immerse yourself a bit in the world without having to- go go go- goal is waiting, loot to get, event clock is ticking.
I am aware that you can already enjoy the world now if you choose and I do just that. Fishing just seems like a fun addition, for it’s own sake.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: drclawizdead.8214

drclawizdead.8214

I love fishing! What would be an interesting mechanic would be, every once in a while, have the player hook a “hostile” mob and have to kill it for special fishing-related loot (rare poles, lures etc.). I mean there are so many mobs and hostile fish in the waters it would only make sense to snag one, right?

Also maybe, in high level areas, have special “Karma fish” that act like a jug of karma? Just a thought…

But yes give me fishing!

in Suggestions

Posted by: White Raven.4368

White Raven.4368

The question is do we throw Risen back into the water once we have caught them?

Hurries to open a Fish and Chip shop in LA.

Desolation [LOST]Lost in Socks Guild.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Timac.9837

Timac.9837

Yes! That is all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: stoloc.8423

stoloc.8423

Please add fishing. Tons of good ideas in this thread already.

- thinking ffxi fishing myself

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

The scenery in this game is just built for fishing. Yes please!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bulbasuar.1043

Bulbasuar.1043

might be hard to find a fishing spot where monsters won’t attack you….fishing in Orr must be pleasant.

in Suggestions

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

If and when they do put it in, they should do it alongside guild halls and player housing. Why? First of all, imagine the decoration options you can do with trophy fish mounted on your walls (LotR did this) but also why stop with that? Why not have fish tanks that you can fill with special fish that award a small “fish tank buff” that gives players a buff from clicking on the tank? Each individual fish (very rare fish) can give a buff to things like magic find, gold from monsters, exp, speed etc etc. It would give even people who wouldn’t normally try fishing a reason to go fish. It would also create an opportunity for the the gem store as people could purchase tank decor alongside those inevitable other housing items that are sure to be there if and when player housing/guild halls happen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PHOTO.5917

PHOTO.5917

YES, please! I’ve been saying this since launch!

It’s always nice to take a break from lvling or farming and just enjoy the scenery and catch some fish!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frans.7930

Frans.7930

No! Give us miniature fights in the mini arena in Lion’s Arch.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SirMurray.9678

SirMurray.9678

No, does not seem enjoyable to me

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chasan.3521

Chasan.3521

I’d love it if they added fishing, its one of the things I really miss from other mmos.

Texas – warrior SoR
Kalima – ranger
resident rally bait

in Suggestions

Posted by: KeeVasha.5874

KeeVasha.5874

OMG!! Please – please put fishing into the game. Everytime I run by some potentially great fishing spots.. I say … awww dang!
I have fished in most MMO’s I have played… it is a wonderful down time for me. Kill this – kill that is great, but sometimes I get burned OUT doing that all the time

Never seperate the life you lead.. from the ‘words’ you speak

in Suggestions

Posted by: Koega.8653

Koega.8653

I would love to see a fishing system in the game. I like the idea of being able to fish up random items, like have some rare rings that could come up or something. One thing would be cool is a trophy collection system, where you have to fish in all zones to collect different types of fish to store for a title. They could expand it to quests/dynamic events too.

Another cool feature would be, if you fish in certain areas, you could fish up enemies or even a unique champion to fight.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

As long as we don’t have to grind fishing levels then yes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Creature.4038

Creature.4038

Yes, been wanting this since day 1!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

yes! especially if you have mini-games tied into it like fish collecting, titles, gathering, and the potential for the rare fish or item drop. It would be a nice addition to the game.

We are not hamsters!