Icy Damage

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shadowwaka.1952

Shadowwaka.1952

Hia forums. I’m sorry for spamming the forums with Jormag stuff, I’ll try to make this my last one. XD Anyway, I was wondering if there is any plan to give the Icy Dragon sword ice damage, like how the fiery dragon sword gets fire damage. Just a thought.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

There are no damage types in Guild Wars 2. Nor does the fiery dragon sword have any stat difference to the sword before you apply the skin. All there is is a burning graphic it applies that does no extra damage.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

There are no damage types in Guild Wars 2. Nor does the fiery dragon sword have any stat difference to the sword before you apply the skin. All there is is a burning graphic it applies that does no extra damage.

The Fiery Dragon Sword does infact change the damage type to fire.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

so there is only normal damage and “fire” damage from the fiery dragon sword then?

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Progulous.1763

Progulous.1763

I’m pretty sure it’s just “flavor text”. It says it deals fire damage because Guild Wars 1 had damage types. It has no effect on gameplay.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Honestly, it doesn’t matter what kind of damage it does. It could deal ethereal necrotic ectoplasmic rage fire….there are no damage types in GW2. You can’t boost defense against magic or dark or physical damage. Getting hit with an Engineer’s bullet is the same as an Elementalist’s lightening.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Now wouldn’t THIS be a cool suggestion, to ADD damage types and defenses against types of damage.. adding a bit more depth to combat. I can agree that this would make things more complicated and I know they were trying to steer clear of complication when it comes to combat.. but perhaps this wouldn’t be too much that it’d turn the average player off and just enough to make things more interesting for others.

And when I say “steer clear of complication when it comes to combat” i mean specifically that they had said at one point that one of the reasons why they wanted to make the weapons control the first 5 skills is so people didn’t create builds that were unusable.. they didn’t want to complicate things and allow people to set themselves up for failure.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Now wouldn’t THIS be a cool suggestion, to ADD damage types and defenses against types of damage.. adding a bit more depth to combat.

It didn’t add depth to combat in GW1. Elementalists would use fire against all enemies because the AOE made up for any fire resistance the foes might have. Except for the last mission of Prophesies. Their solution: Demand a ranger with winter to make all the fire damage into ice, which enemies were weak to.

The other classes had even less choice regarding damage types, if they had any choice at all.

It doesn’t help that resistances on enemies often doesn’t make sense. For example, lets look at the Maguuma Centaurs, found in the Maguuma Jungle:

Maguuma centaurs, except for the Hunters, have 20 additional armor against cold damage. Maguuma Hunters have +10 armor against cold damage but also have 30 less armor against earth damage.

Why are things found in a jungle resistant to the cold ?
Why do their rangers ( a class typically having high elemental resistance) have lower earth damage ?

Actually, what does earth damage even mean ?
Hit someone with a rock - Earth damage
Hit someone with a hammer – Physical
Either way you’re hitting someone with a blunt object. So I don’t see how a different damage type makes any sense at all.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The damage type is merely a cosmetic feature. It’ll trigger the same death animation on enemies as Burning does, but other than that, it has no effect on battle.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In a way there are types of damage. Conditions! I’ve found creatures immune to Poison, and I suppose there may be some immune to Burning or Chill, etc.

I guess your sword could have chances at inflicting Chill.

Icy Damage

in Suggestions

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Now wouldn’t THIS be a cool suggestion, to ADD damage types and defenses against types of damage.. adding a bit more depth to combat.

It didn’t add depth to combat in GW1. Elementalists would use fire against all enemies because the AOE made up for any fire resistance the foes might have. Except for the last mission of Prophesies. Their solution: Demand a ranger with winter to make all the fire damage into ice, which enemies were weak to.

The other classes had even less choice regarding damage types, if they had any choice at all.

It doesn’t help that resistances on enemies often doesn’t make sense. For example, lets look at the Maguuma Centaurs, found in the Maguuma Jungle:

Maguuma centaurs, except for the Hunters, have 20 additional armor against cold damage. Maguuma Hunters have +10 armor against cold damage but also have 30 less armor against earth damage.

Why are things found in a jungle resistant to the cold ?
Why do their rangers ( a class typically having high elemental resistance) have lower earth damage ?

Actually, what does earth damage even mean ?
Hit someone with a rock - Earth damage
Hit someone with a hammer – Physical
Either way you’re hitting someone with a blunt object. So I don’t see how a different damage type makes any sense at all.

awww.. i liked the idea :-/ it might not have worked well in GW1 but maybe they could do better in GW2? Granted, I can see how this might be a pain… because then only certain damage types would be wanted for certain fights so all classes must have these damage types to be equal and then that could possibly affect your character build depending on how the implement it.. They could have it based off of weapon types alone, whatever damage type your weapon is, is the damage type that all your abilities take on.. giving a good reason to have a variety of the same weapon other than just the looks (now i can have a use for my Krytan sword or my Asuran sword).. and also you could fight against 2 different types by duel wielding weapons of two different damage types.. there a lot of interesting possibilities.

Slow down and smell the pixels.