Ideas on dealing with botters

in Suggestions

Posted by: carneasada.5983

carneasada.5983

As I’ve wandered around the masterfully created world of Tyria, I’ve encountered that age old problem of those of us who’d rather take the easy way out of collecting materials. The insidious world of Botters, it would seem, is omnipresent.

As a technical product manager myself, I can certainly understand complex issues to overcome in a software project. Botting however, must be one of those problems that you just can’t completely solve with technology. Chalk it up to human ingenuity and the powerful forces of our own greed.

So rather than just complain about how bothers are cheating us all, and the end times are neigh should they not be caught, etc… I thought I’d offer my own half baked ideas on how to tackle the problem. Keep in mind that I have no experience in the software gaming sector, I primarily deal in the IT reseller software market. So anything I say here may be totally off base, wrong, silly, or offensive, or worse – impossible to implement. You’ve been warned.

Watching the wild botter in his/her natural environment in an interesting thing. There is a pattern of behavior, but that pattern can and will vary based on the configurations and skill of the booting tools employed. But the one underlying commonality is always some repeatable pattern. A path he/she takes through the target area, and a series of attacks to down the targeted enemies.

So what if we created a database, that could track each players movement data and key press data for the last 10 minutes. Lets say:

[Timestamp | Zone/Map | XYZ Coordinates]

Another for the key press actions of the player, something like:

[Timestamp | Keypress Value | Key Hold Duration Time]

In this data set would should be able to easily identify a few things:

1. Number of times a map coordinate has been crossed over (the same coordinate)
2. Number of times a key press timestamp matched a coordinate timestamp
3. Number of times a key press value exactly matched the key hold duration time

Based on these ‘hits’ through the database – we should be able to assign a score. A weighted metric based on repeated movement + repeated key presses. There is more that I can say on this topic, but I think you get the idea.

The players with the highest scores are bubbled up to the top of a list that a small group of A-Net employees is responsible for vetting. Once identified, the employee can instantly appear at that location and monitor the situation for a few minutes.

If the employees suspicions are warranted, he or she can issue an account warning – the results are as follows:

1. Player is immediately logged out of the game
2. Player is sent an email stating that he/she is suspected of botting and must reactivate their account by clicking a link to a terms of service excerpt (do not show the entire ToS – nobody reads these things).
3. Player can optionally justify his/her actions in the event the warning was issued in error.
4. His/her account is re-enabled until the next violation.

In this way, a small number of people can manage a very large customer base, since only players with high scores from the pathing / keystroke analytics reports will be targetted.

Cheers,

-T

in Suggestions

Posted by: Midou.5384

Midou.5384

I was thinking of something similar, but I guess I would not have gone into as much detail. At the very least a bot reporting option by right clicking a player’s name might help as well, and if enough players do it, they can go through a similar process of checking them out. Perhaps having a calculation like you mentioned would help determine if these marked bots have a high chance of actually being bots or not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tzko.2370

tzko.2370

Sounds smart and unavoidably for bots…unless they start running random routes from now on

in Suggestions

Posted by: Saxon.1908

Saxon.1908

I assume this is exactly the sort of process they are already using.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BRIKAR.9726

BRIKAR.9726

Great post Carneasada
Here are my 2 cent on Fort Aspenwood server Frostgorge zone.
The following pictures are of 2 level 80 botters with at least a half dozen bot’s ranging from level 5 to level 19. This is near Ice Flow way point. I whispered the 2 level 80’s never recieved a response.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/gw036t.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/gw037r.jpg/
The next pictures is east of Earthshake way point same server same zone.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/gw027j.jpg/
I reported them & also /whispered them they have been botting for the last 4+ days.
I know I saw at least 3 dozen botters in just that zone today.
Hopefully actions is taken.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sable Lightblade.9156

Sable Lightblade.9156

How about just hire one guy who sits at a computer receives the botting reports, in the report the players (Bots) name is made into a link. the mod clicks the link and gets transported to the bots location, maybe in a skinless or permanently stealthed toon.
He can then spend the 10 or so seconds it takes to become obvious this is a bot he’s looking at. then uses a skill that kills the bot, dropping loot for the person who reported it, and then bans the account. 1 guy could literaly handle a report per minute, and since bots usualy run in packs in alot of areas, could possably handle several hundred bots an hour. this type of aproach would seriosly damage the income potetial of botting since the bots wont get to run for a week or more between bans, having time to transfer their goods and coin to other accounts. the same could be done with goldseller spam in chat and mail. with a single person checking chat logs and reading mails reported as goldsellers. A live Mod would make response times alot shorter, thus making the profit from these activities much less.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuineaGuy.2031

GuineaGuy.2031

I think they should try something like runescape did (dont play it but my bro does. He told me about it) im not entirely sure how it works but its something like the location of pixels jump around with each other. Not making any graphical changes but completely confusing bots where to go because it constsntly changes. It was something like that but on runescape bots no longer work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

What we were discussing over at GW2RP was having some kind of ‘Bot poaching kit’ players could use to hunt bots with.

We got the idea from how seeing as the bots just pick up anything nearby when they kill something, and that dropping items such as Fireworks or a Box o’ Fun, etc. near them makes them lose the use of their normal weapons and they die, or run around helpless, that ANet should give every person a free, unlimited bundle item that they can drop on the ground near bots for them to pick up.
Perhaps have these items ask the person a timed question when they pick it up, if they don’t answer, they get logged out.

ANet, please actually take these ideas into consideration and do something about this problem and not hide your head in the sand, as the current bot situation is becoming very frustrating for your decent players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s appreciated. We are taking such issues very seriously, and it’s one of our top priorities at the moment. Our team is working very hard to find the best way to solve this.

But as we explained, we want to give you an update about that only when everything will be setup, not before.

Thank you for your understanding & patience.