In Game Clock - UTC option

in Suggestions

Posted by: courin.2314

courin.2314

Currently the In Game clock has 3 options – Off, Local Time, and Server time.

Server time is a great tool to let people figure out common times for events. For example, our guild does Guild Missions at Noon Server time every Sunday. We picked server time because regardless of where our players are based, they had a setting in game that they could use to help them calculate the difference in time so as to make the event.

However, since ANet uses UTC for a ‘calendar’ day for things like Dailies, it seems odd that the game doesn’t have an in game option for UTC on the clock.

I would love to see either a 4th option (UTC) added, or change Server time to UTC. That way, no matter when a player’s geographical area implements DST (if they even do), there are no questions about ‘when’ things are happening in game. It would be one set standard.

Here in NA, most of us (including ANet) went off DST last night and so ‘Daily Reset’ changed from 5 pm server time to 4 pm server time. But for someone who lives somewhere that does not use DST or does it at a different time, it is possible that they may not know of the change in game. THEIR relation to UTC is unchanged but if they use Server time as their benchmark, the ‘relative’ time does change.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Courin, you are mistaken here.
Someone in London greenwich (the time zone for UTC) also has to deal with summer time/winter time while the UTC doesn’t change. We actually had it a week ago allready. Server time however keeps track with UTC (meaning that the difference between servertime and UTC is always the same).

also don’t see it that UTC is chosen for the daily rest cause it is UTC as in the universal main time. The reason is more likely more simple, it is a good time of day to do so.

Oceanic people are still in the late morning. European players are in they night and US players are in afternoon/early evening. So for no region its fully prime time.

Besides that everyone can check the much more convenient time till daily reset in the hero panel. I rather see that countdown as an alternative clock

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

Besides that everyone can check the much more convenient time till daily reset in the hero panel. I rather see that countdown as an alternative clock

Speaking of the countdown clock…I would love to see they add that to the living story achievements just like the daily and monthly. It would make it easier on people then having to ask LA, forums, or digging up patch notes.