In depth Mount and new siege suggestions wvw

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jayw.1045

Jayw.1045

Forgive me for speaking for everyone but I’m pretty sure everyone wants a mount. The problem is incorporating them into the game. They simply don’t belong with the current set up. If anything they would just be a convenience at this point and just don’t add much other than something cool to ride on. However if vamped the right way I think they could add a new and dynamic feature to the game. I’ll go in depth to explain how my suggestion would function.

For every keep, garrison and castle add an upgrade feature “Stables”
For x supply your keep produces a stable and a stable master where they train mounts over time for the cost of additional supplies. Other upgrades are could also be purchased for the mounts to upgrade them armor, speed, power etc. (meaning you lose the keep you lose the stable.)

Each mount would act like a piece of siege equipment IE when you mount them you are bound to a certain skill set. They would have a set amount of hp etc. It would be like getting in a golem.

With a few differences you would have access to a class bound elite on the mount, your heal and a few utilities. As if you were under water. Skills on the horse would be bound by your class NOT your weapon set. So a guardian’s skill set for a horse would not be the same as a thief’s. This would essentially add 8 new classes to the game in a sort.

Lets talk about death and ownership mechanics
If you the horse hp runs out you go into a downed state where you can be stomped.
While mounted you are not prone to certain cc skills like cripple, daze, stun immobilize and barrier type skill that prevent movement. Chill will still apply as well as fear.
Debating skills or skill sets that could knock a player off mount or under x conditions met he could get knocked off. Tricky matter for fair and balanced gameplay. I won’t touch on that for now as I don’t have a decent solution for incorporating that mechanic if any.

Mounting: Mounting the horse begins with an ownership process Player 1 claims horse, horse becomes “So and so’s horse” Can also use rename function like in siege. Once dismounted no other player my claim that horse Unless a commander kicks them off. Then that horse becomes the commanders horse. Commanders may not own more than one horse, claiming a new horse sets the old one back to default. If a player dies while dismounted for whatever reason the horse is set back to default with no owner and returns to it’s spawn on foot. It can be claimed on the way back.

Horse’s regenerate health over time WHILE in the stable, not in the field by may be healed by the player PERSONAL heal only. They have no form of regeneration and are not affected by heal over time sigil of regeneration etc Flat heals only. because of the larger hp pool these flat heals will be multiplied to better compensate for the hp difference.

debating a steal mechanic to steal ownership from enemy team need a balancing mechanic for total mounts on map rule before moving forward. Possibly not implemented at all.

Control features
only x amount of mounts can be on the map at a certain time, bound or unbound (meaning have a rider.) Keeps, castles garrisons etc can only train x amount. The amount going up by the size of the structure. Stables can be “locked” by commanders meaning no one can take horses from the stable unless a commander unlocks it.

Now lets get into the fun stuff ability theory crafting!

Lets start with something basic the warrior mounted skill set
Weapons includes lance by default bow whatever(These weapon skins could be guild based or set personally in the wvw menu somewhere lots of ways to implement this.) Or they can simply be bought and the weapons could be owned etc and played in a new weapons bar, underneath the underwater bar. etc

Ability 1
Thrust
Warrior does large damage in a cone shape in front of him
2 etc so and so on

Hope you liked the idea and than at this point realized yeah right never gonna happen =P than left the thread with broken heart laters!

in Suggestions

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Is there a speed boost? because the WvW maps are to small for that.

Otherwise they are a mobile golem meant to fight players instead of walls/gates.

I could see a functionality for this, but maybe make it like a Alpha Fight Golem or something

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

No. :D

in Suggestions

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

First, not every one wants mounts. Like you said as the game is there is no place for mounts. Please stop asking for mounts.
Second what your proposing is mobile siege warfare and that can be done without incorporating mounts. They can just as easily add a new siege weapion that functions like every other siege weapon but it’s can move. It would (and should) take massive amounts of resources, can be upgraded with specialization and is rare to get your hands on. I could see it doing heavy single target damage but should have limited AoE capabilities. Should also have relatively high armor but have a minimum target range of around 300 feet (meaning it cant attack targets that are too close) so it has trouble dealing with attackers in melee to balance it out. There should be a limit of maybe 3 allowed on a map and in order to give a use to the title, it can only be used by a commander.

in Suggestions

Posted by: misterducky.4876

misterducky.4876

Here’s the question that no one ever has an answer for: How would you get past the fact that there are no horses in the game? Would we ride Dolyaks?

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheGME.1548

TheGME.1548

An amazing idea indeed, but horses or any other fast mounts just wouldn’t work out. Possibly very slow mounts, which could carry more supply.

in Suggestions

Jayw.1045

The suggestions was to add the sense of Calvary to the game other than just foot troops =P

and yes a mobile siege designed to fight players horse dolyak a fricken oversized moa Idc. I didn’t think of it carrying more supplies that has a pretty practical application right there over the combat sense I was going for.

“First, not every one wants mounts. Like you said as the game is there is no place for mounts. Please stop asking for mounts.”
How about no, I’d like a mount so I’m going to keep asking for them. If you makes you that upset don’t read these type of threads and if your going to be negative don’t post in them either. So chew on that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

I dont want a mount so please don’t say I do.

Also there is a mount. Go buy it from the Gem Store. It looks like a broom.

I really think you’ll find there is more people against a mount rather than for it. And those who are for it are either lazy or tightfisted.

GW’s 1 only had 1 example of a mount in all 4 expansions and that was limited and required to cross certain parts of Elona. So you may be lucky and when the Elona expansion arrives in a few years we once again may get to ride in the mouths of giant worms to cross the desert. Hurrah.

Otherwise I like you, will state my opinion as your allowed to do and say “I do not want mounts”.

Thanks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I have a strong hatred for mounts. Solely because there is an important npc you need to talk to and everyone is on their giant monkey lizard komodo dragon sloth giraffe mount sitting on top of the npc afk.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

in Suggestions

Jayw.1045

“I really think you’ll find there is more people against a mount rather than for it. And those who are for it are either lazy or tightfisted.”

if you don’t like people speaking for you don’t turn around and do the exact thing thing. I’m neither lazy or “tightfisted” whatever the heck that’s supposed to mean.

you know when I posted I think everyone wanted mounts I didn’t intend for this to be a flame war.. Kill the thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Tightfisted or Deep Pockets or Cheap means doesn’t want to spend money on waypoints. This is not meant as a slur but rather a statement of fact on how people save money in game by not wanting to spend money on waypoints.

Now as to me speaking for others I did say “I think” not “Forgive me for speaking for everyone” which was what you said. I base my “thought” off all the negative posts I have read concerning Mounts on these forums over the past year as you could have done if you had done a search on the word Mount.

Finally perhaps people might reconsider their views regarding mounts for or against if there was a cost for using them. 10 copper per every 100mtrs would be the possibility of a charging rate. Also no extra speed or buffs would be allowed and that they would move at the same speed as characters or slower.

Anyway sorry that I have upset you. So you don’t get flamed like I have in the past take a minute to do a forum post search on the topic you might be thinking about posting and see what is out there first in opinions.

Have a nice day/night.

in Suggestions

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Forgive me for speaking for everyone but I’m pretty sure everyone wants a mount.

You are off by at least 1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

“First, not every one wants mounts. Like you said as the game is there is no place for mounts. Please stop asking for mounts.”
How about no, I’d like a mount so I’m going to keep asking for them. If you makes you that upset don’t read these type of threads and if your going to be negative don’t post in them either. So chew on that.

I wasn’t particularly trying to be mean but your opening sentence came off as sounding rather arrogant and I let my temper get the better of me for a moment there. You have to understand that there have been so many posts where folks assume they speak on everyone’s behalf that it gets frustrating.

The whole mount business is like this, there have been posts asking for mounts to be added to the game since launch. People argue about it constantly and will likely continue to until Anet makes an official announcement on whether they’ll add them will or wont. Mount enthusiast insist they can ded in non game breaking ways, and admittedly some of the ideas I’ve seen are fairly inventive but most are gimmicky at best. The main argument pro mounters have is that mounts can be added for cosmetic purposes and would does no harm.

There’s two problems to that, first being that it wouldn’t stay cosmetic for long. Chances are they’ll add mounts to the gem store, initially for appearances only, but if sales are good and demand is high they’ll start adding “premium” mounts that have speed boosts, which drives a wedge between players who spend in the gem store and those who don’t because they’re at a disadvantage. The other problem is that if they do add them in as random drops or consumables, they’ll likely be either god awful expensive or very rare. This annoys poorer players or players who don’t have time to farm for the mounts. It also causes player grief with ten tons of people farming vast areas hoping to get the drop, which can make it difficult for others to finish their hearts or events.

You yourself admit that with the current state of the game mounts are unnecessary. The reasons for this being, map size, the availability of fast travel waypoints and the fact that every class already gets some form of speed buff. The developers would have to do a massive amount of reworking in order to add a rather minor tweak to the game. They’d likely have to remove a large number of the waypoints if not all of them and that would cause no end of complaining when you have to ride all the way from Lions Arch to lets say Cursed Shore. They’d also have to add some kind of penalty for trying to zip past mobs on your mount, probably some kind of knockdown/dismount. They’d also have to decide where, how and when mount use would be restricted ie. could it be used in PvP, WvW, interior, underwater, ect.

Lets not forget that the maps are actually incredibly small. If you run straight from one end of any given map you’ll likely reach the other size in ten minutes or less. Most other games that incorporate mounts could take a sizeable amount of time to travers zones. The only area I would say is an exception is WvW, where waypoints aren’t guaranteed (or localized) and players have to move quickly to keep up with the action.

Now if you want to ask for mounts that’s fine, I cant stop you from doing that anymore than you can stop me from being opposed to the idea. I do apologize for my earlier rude response, please don’t take it as a personal attack. Just be sure not to make any assumptions on who you speak for in the future.

(edited by smezmer.1206)

in Suggestions

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

The majority probably does not want mounts. I for sure don’t ever want to see it ina gw game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Forgive me for speaking for everyone but I’m pretty sure everyone wants a mount.

You lost me right here. This game does not need, should not have, and most likely will not (ever) have mounts.

Maps are too small to warrant mounts. If we had no swiftness or high mobility moves…. then yes mounts count make sense. But GW2 is built for people being on-foot.

I do not approve of the idea of mounts in GW2, it doesn’t fit.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native