Inactive accounts character names whiping

in Suggestions

Posted by: HERO.2057

HERO.2057

Hi,

Being Guild Wars names unique worldwide, and having a lot of people who played the game for 2, 3 days and then decided to never login again i would like to suggest that some sort of name releasing mechanism to be put in order.

This would be up to you, but since the game is out for about 2 months, I would suggest all accounts that the user has not logged in for more than 30 days all his characters under level 10 to be offered a free name change at login.

I tried making a character the other day i tried to give him a name and everything was taken, so then i went stupid and wrote, ixl legolas ixl, surprising or not it was taken, i decided to write, asdasdasdasd, taken.

Soon enough we gonna have to resort to really stupid nicknames, which would be fine, if we didn’t had thousands of names locked in ghost accounts.

Cheers.

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

in Suggestions

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Given the way this game is designed to play, play it for a bit then put it down and come back later when your ready for another go, this idea would actually be a little silly. You would force people to play or lose there names. Thats no way to design a game.

That being said i can feel you on this one. Im a returning GW1 player so all my names were reserved so while i wont actually have this experience in this game i have had it in others. The nice thing about this game is you can use multiple names. For example my main from GW1 was Uhdana Di Clutz. While in the off chance some one actually had a name consisting of those words unless they were spaced exactly like mine theres little chance that the name is taken. Using popular names such as Legolas and such in general is a bad idea as its one of the most overused names out there and the odds of it being taken are rather high.

in Suggestions

HERO.2057

I’m talking about characters below level 10 where the user has not logged in at all to his account for the past 30 days.

Being the game a very new game, and we all know that a lot of people quitted, releasing some names would be normal, it only makes sense to do it while the game is new, not in 2 years from now.

If you bought the game 2 months ago, the game was launched 2 months ago, and you have not logged in for 30, 40, 59 days, most likely you will not return.

Where your characters level 10 and above would retain their name, characters with level 9 or less, would have their names stripped, and give to actual players the chance to grab some non kitten names.

How can this not make sense?

Also i would appreciate your contribution but please read before posting.

I was just suggesting some random names, my characters are not called Legolas, or anything LOTR related.

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

GW has no inactive accounts. Only inactive players. The accounts are always active and ready to use. And players should not get some silly message telling them they have to pick another name just because they were in the hospital for 3 months after being run over by a car when they were jogging in the park. That’ll only add to the offense.

It doesn’t matter if the character was level 10 or 80. They could have only played PvP and have only level 2 characters. If they want to do that, it’s their business.

They got the name first, it’s theirs for as long as their account exists. Period.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ba air.1372

Ba air.1372

You’d have a point if say, names became free after a player hasn’t logged on period in over a year, and only on characters below a fairly low level. But 30 days? No that’s not fair. 30 days is really not that long to really declare someone completely inactive. Maybe for a guild but not for an MMO. People take breaks, leave their characters alone.

If I say, got really busy with school and work for a month, came back, and my lovely necromancer had lost the name I spent ages getting right I’d be raging mad. Try last names or built in titles for your characters, it really helps.

in Suggestions

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

You couldn’t think of a name that isn’t Legolas?

Overpaid, Underplayed

in Suggestions

HERO.2057

You’d have a point if say, names became free after a player hasn’t logged on period in over a year, and only on characters below a fairly low level. But 30 days? No that’s not fair. 30 days is really not that long to really declare someone completely inactive.

This is not something that would be implemented permanently, just a one time event, the game is fairly new, but alot of names were taken that noone will ever get to use them.

Since the game has 2 months, this actually makes alot of sense to apply now.

After the name release, it would return to normal and taken names are taken, if they do this a couple of times per year it would not hurt, there are alot of players leaving and alot of players joining, and trying the game, soon enough names will be running out like they have in GW1.

Only you need to do is to login to GW, you don’t even need to play, and if you wanna keep that name reach level 10, takes about 30 minutes.

I just can’t understand how this makes no sense.

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Sorry, I can understand the frustration of not being able to find the right name. But this idea wont do for a game like this. Many people love this game because it allows you to take long absences and then come back. GW1 had some players returning after years of inactivity. Some would have completed everything and then only come back when new things was added, then leave again once it had been seen and done.

You might have a hard time finding single names… try using surnames and/or titles. I have been in other online communities where all names had to be unique… I have never once resorted to silly names, I just had to crack my head a bit more to find a name.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unknownsole.4672

Unknownsole.4672

If this game was older it might be a valid idea but two months isn’t much considering many people had to start school near the initial release so they reserved names and made toons until they could sit down and play the game more.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ba air.1372

Ba air.1372

You’d have a point if say, names became free after a player hasn’t logged on period in over a year, and only on characters below a fairly low level. But 30 days? No that’s not fair. 30 days is really not that long to really declare someone completely inactive.

This is not something that would be implemented permanently, just a one time event, the game is fairly new, but alot of names were taken that noone will ever get to use them.

Since the game has 2 months, this actually makes alot of sense to apply now.

After the name release, it would return to normal and taken names are taken, if they do this a couple of times per year it would not hurt, there are alot of players leaving and alot of players joining, and trying the game, soon enough names will be running out like they have in GW1.

Only you need to do is to login to GW, you don’t even need to play, and if you wanna keep that name reach level 10, takes about 30 minutes.

I just can’t understand how this makes no sense.

Because it’s not needed, I have had little problem getting names, even unique names with no surname. The locked names were just released as it is. My fiance was one of the people that played the first two weeks and disappeared for a month. He just logged on a week or two ago to play a bit. So clearly people that did leave early on can still have an interest.

People will play for a little bit and quit all throughout the course of the game because it’s not a sub game, so having it implemented now does not make any more sense than having it implemented later. It would actually make more sense to consider this after a year or so when names might actually run the risk of being too hard to get.

People shouldn’t have to log on when they’re busy to keep their names. 30 days isn’t long, like I said. When you’re busy with real life you don’t always have the time or the thought to log on. They already paid for their five character slots, they have the right to keep their names as long as they want, inactive or not, especially as there’s no starting up again; again, no sub.

Tl;dr:
- 30 days too short
- Gone early on does not = never coming back
- Not a sub game so an account is not ever really inactive
- Not fair to players that paid their 60 bucks to have their characters, whether they’re using them as much as you think or not.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I have had experience with one other MMO and forcing people to change their name is the quickest way for them to stop playing. People develop attachment to a toon and name.You take away their identity they are done.
Just my experience anyway.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

When Warhammer merged a lot of their servers and forced you to change your name or gave you your name with X’s, that is when I threw in the towel.

I apparently chose the name first and that is my character, doesn’t matter if it is my lvl 80 wvw character, my lvl 60 chef character, or my 4-5 little alts that I use for low level mat gathering or just to kill a bit of time on. As a matter of fact, I went back to DAoC awhile back to see what was up and I still had all of my characters (names intact) there. Same with WoW.

GW2 gives you the option to add a last name and/or a title. If you are so unimaginative that you have to use a name from Tolkein or whatever, try Sir Legolas Huntsman or something. I actually thought using famous characters and celebrities was against the terms but since I didn’t do that, I didn’t read that part too closely. Might want to check it.

Long story short…no, you shouldn’t be able to take other people’s names.