Incoming New Races.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

IF they don’t have two legs they won’t be allowed to be playable. Simple game mechanics, they have to wear pants and boots. Centaur are out for the same reason. They can’t.

While the art team will obviously have to make all new appearances for all the armors for the new race, the race does still also have to be able to wear and display all the armor pieces.

So no snake people.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

(Post was long, here’s part 2 for more stuff) ::
I can see the Largos comming into the picture more and more as Anet eventually moves on with the story and we go kill the Deep Sea Dragon. Thats basically the home of the Largos, and some Largos will tell you about how dangerous it is in the deep oceans, and how they managed to survive there. I could totally see the Largos as a playable race when that happens, whether its with the next expansion, or 5 years from now.

• As far as Visual Possibilites, the wing can and will clip with every piece of armor like the Tengu’s Tail would (like the Charr’s tail does), but if clipping is not a problem, there are alot of customization possibilities with just the wings alone, with a wide variety of colors, patterns, and shapes. Maybe you can choose the option to have no wings, and have a story explanation for it? And if they wear those masks to breath on land, then they could wear regular helmets underwater, as many have previously stated, which would also be awesome, if Anet gives us more visual possibilities with those Breathers (and there can be some seriously awesome possibilities too, just look as real life to see what could be possible!)

Ditto with the Kodan. While they are scattered, many are Corrupted and are almost gone because of the Elder Dragon Jormag, There is no other race that Anet has introduced us to that lives anywhere near that Elder Dragon. And what better way to Introduce a new Playable Race than as the Kodan themselves as they help the other Major races of Tyria fight their way to Jormag, and retake their homelands?

• It would also be interesting to play a Bear Race because of the visual possibilities. They have thick fur, but maybe you can have a furless option, like the Murellows. They can also have big, heavy frames like Grizzley/Kodiak bears. Some can be smaller and more agile like Black Bears, or more sloth like like Sun Bears. Or you could go for the classic, Big Badkitten Polar Bear like they are in the game! And some Kodan seem to have tattoos as well. Panda bears even. I think that having an Ursine race that doesn’t look like a ridiculous cartoon character would be freaking awesome!

The closest one that could be a playable race other than those three that I mentioned, would be the Hylek, since they are able to build somewhat large structures, are somewhat united under the same beliefs, have enough intelligence and technology to not be entirely primitive, and have a lot of fighters, but they just aren’t quite there yet, unless Anet has something special planned for them in other parts of Tyria.

The second Closest is the Dredge, is we can find enough that are friendly to the ‘Major’ Races. It will probably happen (maybe) when Anet introduces an expansion where we go fight Primordus, but its more likely that the dredge will just attack any stone dwarf they see on sight rather than helping them…

• Visually, the Dredge would be as varied as you can see Moles in the real world. Even work some Meerkat and Prarie Dog in there for more visual variety.
    That’s about every thought I have on the possibilities of new races (except undead which I covered extensively in a previous post, and to some, offensively)

edit : typo

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

I wants Skritt!!!!!!!! I’ve posted this before, but the way around the low intelligence factor is to introduce a new race of “Sea Rat” skritt pirates that are bigger and smarter and meaner than their dim-witted land lubber cousins. These hearty, ruthless sea skritt would be like high born skritt, able to use magic. Think of the cosmetic possibilities! Numerous tails, eye patches, ragged ears, teeth, fur patterns, etc. Not to mention all the cool racial skills like “I Wants the Shiny!!” and “Lab Rat”.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

Here’s a link to my original post about making skritt a playable race:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Make-Skritt-a-playable-race/first#post1595207

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rangtsulfatu.8042

Rangtsulfatu.8042

Everyone seems to forget why this game is GW2 and not just an other expansion on GW1. They started a whole new game because some of their plans just didn’t fit into the lore. So the next race(s) will have to fit in. Races that don’t want to work with the current playable races, like tengu, kodan or largos are not the obvious choice. Their position may change in the future and I do expect the tengu to become playable some day, but they won’t be the next race.

I think the next race will be a race that is at war with the dragons and working with the playable races, so the minor races seem most likely. They may seem/be dumb or strange, but for RPers that’s just an other interesting thing to work with and for non-RPers, what does it matter? You don’t RP anyway.

They seem unpopular on this site, but on my server everyone seems to love skritt and quaggan so I guess they could be concidered to be in the pool. I for one can’t wait to play as a skritt.

Wow, for a post that started out so well you tanked fast. The Tengu WERE not ready to work with us, but by the time they release them as a playable race they’ll be ready.

It isn’t a question of if, it’s a question of when. Like I said before, the zones already exist, they just need to link them for us. You can see them quite clearly on the map, both a city and a starter area. The Kodan and the Largos are also in a position to be willing to play with the other races, they just need the story to explain what tipped the scale.

The lesser races can’t make sense because of the personal story because they have to be convinced to help by the orders. What we need are races outside of the story ready to commit and the Tengu, Largos and Kodan are ready, they just need to be tipped. But only the Tengu are actually in a position to become a legitimate playable race right now.

I think the lesser races make sense because of the personal story. They already have the story that shows us what tipped the scales for them. I expect the next personal story to involve a quest to establish a better relationship between Tengu and the other races, which would seem weird when you are a Tengu already.

We should also keep in mind Coriolis Plaza, which has 6 new Asura gates. Assuming the Tengu don’t need one because Dominion of the Winds is directly adjacent to LA that leaves 7 new races in Tyria (the continent). My guess would be Skritt, Quaggan, Hylek, Grawl and Ogre because of the personel story and because they already live in LA, Tengu because anet has mentioned the were concidered as playable before and Kodan because they seem most likely to be the seventh.

Races that don’t have their capital in Tyria seem more likely to be added after their continent becomes available, like Largos, who live in the unending ocean between Tyria and Cantha.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

I have said at different times over the last year. Tengu will be first to be playable. Evidence:
Talk to the Tengu just outside their wall at LA. Makes highly likely they will be playable if not first.
Tengu bodytype is identical to charr meaning chest shoulder and leg armor can be ported with minor tweaking. Would be the equvilant of going from human bodytype to norn. Even the head is laid out similar to charr meaning the horn holes etc will closly line up for easy coversion. That leaves hands and feet for new armor.
Kodan lack if traditional neck means helm shoulders and cheat piece all need to be redone to fit. Maybe pants as only easy conversion
Largos have those wings and need/penchent for those masks/rebeathers. Raises questions on if they can even use thenormal armor configuration and how the wings come out

Work wise I see the Tengu coming first unless the masses cry out strongly for something else first.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Everyone seems to forget why this game is GW2 and not just an other expansion on GW1. They started a whole new game because some of their plans just didn’t fit into the lore. So the next race(s) will have to fit in. Races that don’t want to work with the current playable races, like tengu, kodan or largos are not the obvious choice. Their position may change in the future and I do expect the tengu to become playable some day, but they won’t be the next race.

I think the next race will be a race that is at war with the dragons and working with the playable races, so the minor races seem most likely. They may seem/be dumb or strange, but for RPers that’s just an other interesting thing to work with and for non-RPers, what does it matter? You don’t RP anyway.

They seem unpopular on this site, but on my server everyone seems to love skritt and quaggan so I guess they could be concidered to be in the pool. I for one can’t wait to play as a skritt.

Wow, for a post that started out so well you tanked fast. The Tengu WERE not ready to work with us, but by the time they release them as a playable race they’ll be ready.

It isn’t a question of if, it’s a question of when. Like I said before, the zones already exist, they just need to link them for us. You can see them quite clearly on the map, both a city and a starter area. The Kodan and the Largos are also in a position to be willing to play with the other races, they just need the story to explain what tipped the scale.

The lesser races can’t make sense because of the personal story because they have to be convinced to help by the orders. What we need are races outside of the story ready to commit and the Tengu, Largos and Kodan are ready, they just need to be tipped. But only the Tengu are actually in a position to become a legitimate playable race right now.

I think the lesser races make sense because of the personal story. They already have the story that shows us what tipped the scales for them. I expect the next personal story to involve a quest to establish a better relationship between Tengu and the other races, which would seem weird when you are a Tengu already.

We should also keep in mind Coriolis Plaza, which has 6 new Asura gates. Assuming the Tengu don’t need one because Dominion of the Winds is directly adjacent to LA that leaves 7 new races in Tyria (the continent). My guess would be Skritt, Quaggan, Hylek, Grawl and Ogre because of the personel story and because they already live in LA, Tengu because anet has mentioned the were concidered as playable before and Kodan because they seem most likely to be the seventh.

Races that don’t have their capital in Tyria seem more likely to be added after their continent becomes available, like Largos, who live in the unending ocean between Tyria and Cantha.

Or…You are the Tengu trying to Convince your Isolationist leaders to open their doors.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

It would be…

Quaggan
Kodan
Tengu

In that order for me.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

I want a Dolyak.
Am I alone?

IMO, we’ll never see races which appeared in A Friend In Deed (racial sympathy). So no chance for Skritt, Quaggan, Ogre, Hylek or Grawl.

Tengu-chicken? That’s for sure! Largos? Maybe (chance for aqua living story). Kodan? I don’t think so.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RiotDBard.2746

RiotDBard.2746

Zhed Shadowhoof was a permanent member of my party in GW1. Of all the possible races, I would greatly love to play a centaur the most.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

I would wager those portals will be for places like crystal desert or kaineg

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ntiruyogwa.5786

Ntiruyogwa.5786

I would love to play a Kodan. The Tengu are my second favorite.
ArenaNet make it happen!

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ring.6928

Ring.6928

I’m still holding out for Skritt. I don’t care about lagistics, I just want Skritt.

I’d play the kitten out of skritt and their personal story.

Kodan, Tengu and the sea butterflies would be cool too though.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

@ israfyl & midnight:

No comments to these superficial low niveau answers, you two aren’t worth any more attention.
I could say more to this, but I’m sure it would end up only in a senseless infraction, so the cleverer gives in …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I’m hoping for Dwarves

go play gw1:eye of the north

now you know you will never have dwarves for a playable race

Read the rest of my post before you make judgments. It’s unbecoming of you to jump to conclusions.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jink Bonestealer.9274

Jink Bonestealer.9274

I have wanted to play a Tengu since the beta events of Guild Wars 1.
So please Anet, give us Tengu.

Leader of the Wind Riders [WIND]
I support Tengu as a playable race.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

dwarf is still my #1 choice, even the lore allows it.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rite_of_the_Great_Dwarf
it said deldrimor dwarfs, nothing states that the stone summits transformed nor does it make a statement that all dwarfs are now made of stone.

what about a dwarfen faction that lives more to the north west, there they live under their own believe and continues the tradition of deldrimor forging.
they walked away from the great dwarf prophecy and now only have faith in their steel and their hammer, turning in the most advanced armor and weapon crafters in existence.

they could make an event with a rip through a mountain, leading through a whole new place.
there would be dwarfen made buildings and ancient ruins with untold secrets, they could even make a dungeon-like cave where you uncover the secrets of the five gods and how the great dwarf is tied in all of this.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

A-net stated that all dwarves did indeed undergo the rite, eventually.

Q: It is said all dwarves who participated in invoking the Great Dwarf’s power to battle the Great Destroyer were turned to stone. Are there dwarves then who are not stone out in the world somewhere still (assuming then there were some dwarves who did not participate)? If so, how are interactions between them and their stone brethren?

Ree: All of the dwarves eventually participated in the ritual. There are no non-stone dwarves in Tyria.

http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/11/sylvari-lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee-kristen-perry/

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

I’m hoping for the Tengu as the first new playable race.

Also, I think it would be cool to at some point introduce a completely new playable race never before seen in Tyria.

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

Here’s my 2 cents

Races I never want to see
Quaggan – They’re horrible. It’s a personal preference I know, but I feel like this weak and worthless race should, by all rights, have been wiped out by the Krait and other predators long ago.

I LOL’d more than I am comfortable with.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

Hey guys, this thread has been an amazing read.
Why always so small? Even if it‘s very unlikely, how about a whole bunch of “evil” races? Why not? I just skimmed through the gw1 lore and found some candidates that might be of interrest:
1: Destroyers (not the huge ones but charr sized, instead of male female, diff. appearances)
2. Krait
3. Mursaat
4. Dredge

Adding a whole bunch of new zones in every corner of Tyria, I believe this could be somewhat cool.
May the hate flow through you,

DIVA

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

destroyers are mindless enemies already in GW2, mursaat was banished and (i think) killed of later on and the dredge is like the destroyers already enemies in GW2.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

The Tengu have an area ready, as if they would’ve been planned as a new race from the start, but with the team scrapping the idea of future expansions I think the idea of new races, classes and continents were also scrapped.

At least, I can’t really see the Living World teams being able to pull off anything like that.

Of course, there could be many creative ways, like adding a new continent world map but with just one area. And then adding more and more areas, like a continous exploration and expansion indo the wilderness, as cities are buit in the older areas and it would be like… well a “Living World”. Imagine the awesome experience of exploring a new continent, it doesn’t even have to be Elona or Cantha, just a big wilderness jungle place. All lvl80 insane wilderness. The lore can be that an elder dragon’s energy signals were detected there or something. And you showly progress towards the dragon as more areas are added to the continent. And it could be… a Tengu-led exploration…

Then again, I don’t work at ArenaNet. :P

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

The Tengu have an area ready, as if they would’ve been planned as a new race from the start, but with the team scrapping the idea of future expansions I think the idea of new races, classes and continents were also scrapped.

At least, I can’t really see the Living World teams being able to pull off anything like that.

Of course, there could be many creative ways, like adding a new continent world map but with just one area. And then adding more and more areas, like a continous exploration and expansion indo the wilderness, as cities are buit in the older areas and it would be like… well a “Living World”. Imagine the awesome experience of exploring a new continent, it doesn’t even have to be Elona or Cantha, just a big wilderness jungle place. All lvl80 insane wilderness. The lore can be that an elder dragon’s energy signals were detected there or something. And you showly progress towards the dragon as more areas are added to the continent. And it could be… a Tengu-led exploration…

Then again, I don’t work at ArenaNet. :P

You got it right in the bottom half of your post, the top is just dead wrong. New playable races are a almost a sure thing at this point, they are deciding which one to add first.

(edited by Midnight Gypsy.9360)

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

You got it right in the bottom half of your post, the top is just dead wrong. New playable races are a almost a sure thing at this point, they are deciding which one to add first.

Unlikely from a PR point of view. If they would have something in the works they would have shot the hype rockets up already.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Hey guys, this thread has been an amazing read.
Why always so small? Even if it‘s very unlikely, how about a whole bunch of “evil” races? Why not? I just skimmed through the gw1 lore and found some candidates that might be of interrest:
1: Destroyers (not the huge ones but charr sized, instead of male female, diff. appearances)
2. Krait
3. Mursaat
4. Dredge

Adding a whole bunch of new zones in every corner of Tyria, I believe this could be somewhat cool.
May the hate flow through you,

DIVA

Of these the Dredge are the only ones that have a slight chance as they have rebelled against their oppressors before . Who’s to say there isn’t a faction in the Communist party trying to do the same thing now .

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draco.9480

Draco.9480

I vote for Largo, Tengu, Kodan, Humanoid Reptile (no idea for name yet) and maybe Dwarf(I hate dwarf but it’s raceable).
What I don’t want is skritt, quagan, hylek cuz they’re story races they must be only interacted and they don’t match for creation but only to play with story/against ‘em.
Centaurs hell no they’re enemies of krytians and they’ll never be a peace and they’re too primitive and unplayable.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

Unlikely from a PR point of view. If they would have something in the works they would have shot the hype rockets up already.

haha, I would rather listen to what Colin said.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

Preference:
1) Tengu
2) Skritt
3) Kodan
3) Quaggan

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: illictic.6183

illictic.6183

I love the Tengu and I would love to see more of them. I also love the Kodan…they are my top two for right now. (Actually, I am also head-over-heels over the Skritt, but I don’t see them as being playable because you would be incredibly stupid. Poor Skritt.)

If I had to choose, I would say Tengu. I don’t see undead as an option for the reasons listed in the thread but oh man. Nobody can feel my love for the Tengu as much as I do.

i don’t know what’s going on

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chief.5928

Chief.5928

There is no doubt in my mind that the first race to be added will be the Tengu. From a more personal standpoint however I would strongly prefer to see the Dwarves be reintroduced and made into a playable race but sadly this is less likely, yet not impossible lorewise, to happen.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m pretty sure when a Dev specifically says, this is a thing we’re doing and we’re just deciding which ones and when, you can take that as a pretty solid statement.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

sorudo.9054

you have to keep one thing in mind, in GW2 adding a race is more then just adding it as a model.
they need their own lore, the first 20 levels of PS, they need their own place, animations need to be set, they need racial skills, they need there own dialect of voice, their own clothing and armor style, etc…
adding a profession is far easier because all they need to add is weapon skills, lose skills, sprites and animations for the skills and a balance to keep them in line.

don’t take it lightly, just because you want a race added in the game doesn’t make the race easy to add, adding a new armor is easier then adding a new race.

Incoming New Races.

in Suggestions

Posted by: raseloc.6932

raseloc.6932

Dwarves. We have plant people, why not stone people?

I agree. The lore is already set up to allow an underground expansion giving us the Dwarves as a new race to beat Primordus and the destroyers.

Guild – Savants[ijit]
Gate of Madness