Inspect Other Players' Gear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ajax.2065

Ajax.2065

Each player, when targeting another player, should have the option of inspecting the targeted player’s gear.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Servix.7560

Servix.7560

What’s the purpose? Everything seems to be about skins and stats aren’t that important from what I’ve seen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Each player, when targeting another player, should have the option of inspecting the targeted player’s gear.

no.

Why? you can see my appearance, and if you want ot know where it came from, ask. I’ll tell you.

The only reason you want to see people’s gear is to judge them, and that kind of elitist attitude has no place here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moophious.1735

Moophious.1735

no.

Why? you can see my appearance, and if you want ot know where it came from, ask. I’ll tell you.

The only reason you want to see people’s gear is to judge them, and that kind of elitist attitude has no place here.

Really? You can’t tell what type of gear some guy has by looking at it in this game and I don’t know about you but if hes still in level 30 gear trying to run a level 80 dungeon I’d like to know that because it does effect the group.

Even in GW1 people would ‘link’ their specs if they wanted to get into a group run. In general it’s invasive and judgmental- but looking at one’s gear and or talents lets you know something more in depth otherwise you’d be guessing or relying on ‘trust’ which is simply silly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

no.

Really? You can’t tell what type of gear some guy has by looking at it in this game and I don’t know about you but if hes still in level 30 gear trying to run a level 80 dungeon I’d like to know that because it does effect the group.

Even in GW1 people would ‘link’ their specs if they wanted to get into a group run. In general it’s invasive and judgmental- but looking at one’s gear and or talents lets you know something more in depth otherwise you’d be guessing or relying on ‘trust’ which is simply silly.

ask. problem solved.

and to be honest I’d prefer someone undergeared who can play than someone who is overgeared and cant dodge or support or ress…..and that you can only find by playing with them.

Inspections is a classic case of makign important what you can measure instead of working out how to measure what is important.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

The thing in GW1 is that those people would volunteer to share their skill set and builds in chat for everyone in that district to see when requested to do so.

An /inspect feature, however, would be a bit more invasive, especially more so in the max-level content. In the wrong hands, you would have some rotten apples inspect the “newbie” in the party and rip that person a new one regarding their gear, trait allocation, and equipped utility skills. That always bugged me in some MMOs where I would be a freshly dinged 60, 80, or whatever the max level was; and someone geared to the teeth would be like “DUDE! You put your talent points in THAT? What’s up with your gem sockets? OMG! You’re very bad, bro!” … First off, I ain’t your bro, yo! And the dungeon I queued up for is the Normal version, not Hard mode … sometimes, I may never understand those people.

I don’t mind a little criticism, but if you pass yourself off as some kind of jerk, I’m probably not going to take you very seriously. If something seems awkward about my equipment, I’d like to know so I can fix it, but there are better ways to do it than being an elitist jerk.

Back to the subject of the /inspect feature, I’d rather not have it and instead have people ask what they have equipped like it was back in Guild Wars 1. Those willing to share would link their equipment set and abilities appropriately.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

(edited by Ari Kagura.9182)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I’d rather not have it either. I prefer that when I look at someone, I’m looking at the player as a whole. Not as a collection of numbers and gear levels, and gear scores, and HPs, and mana points, and blah blah… All I really need to know of a player is his/her name. I will then play with them and judge them on their actions.

No use judging someone from some numbers… It never paints the while picture.

in Suggestions

Posted by: daemonlama.5413

daemonlama.5413

I’d rather not have it either. I prefer that when I look at someone, I’m looking at the player as a whole. Not as a collection of numbers and gear levels, and gear scores, and HPs, and mana points, and blah blah… All I really need to know of a player is his/her name. I will then play with them and judge them on their actions.

No use judging someone from some numbers… It never paints the while picture.

QFT

in Suggestions

Posted by: Canoas.8423

Canoas.8423

I really want the inspect feature. So far every single time I’ve wanted to inspect someone it was a friend or a guildy who was far away. I can’t ask him to link the items because even if he links it the items will look different on my char then they do on his human/sylvari/asura/norn. Other times I wanted to see if I could make a better weapon with my crafting than he had.

My suggestion is: Have an inspect feature where the user chooses who can see his stats: His friends, his guildmates or everyone. If you don’t choose any of these all the other dudes would see is how you look, the item slots would look empty just like in the preview window.

I think this would please everyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crica.1503

Crica.1503

I really want the inspect feature. So far every single time I’ve wanted to inspect someone it was a friend or a guildy who was far away. I can’t ask him to link the items because even if he links it the items will look different on my char then they do on his human/sylvari/asura/norn. Other times I wanted to see if I could make a better weapon with my crafting than he had.

My suggestion is: Have an inspect feature where the user chooses who can see his stats: His friends, his guildmates or everyone. If you don’t choose any of these all the other dudes would see is how you look, the item slots would look empty just like in the preview window.

I think this would please everyone.

no it would only divide the player base into "those who do not play with those who do not allow gear inspections:…

imo, if you dont want to run the risk of playing with a baddie, then play with your friends/guildmates instead of strangers and ALL your gear issues will be solved…

If I don’t like it, I won’t do it.

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

Al right then, allow only to inspect guildmates/friends.

Besides, gear is pretty easy to get here. An exotic item costs like 3g, a rare one costs about 25s.

in Suggestions

Crica.1503

Al right then, allow only to inspect guildmates/friends.

Besides, gear is pretty easy to get here. An exotic item costs like 3g, a rare one costs about 25s.

that forces players to HAVE to show their gear in order to join a guild…

i forsee alot of players never joining a guild if this is put in…

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

So you want to join a guild but are reluctant to even show them your gear? Why the hell would you join a guild then?

in Suggestions

Crica.1503

So you want to join a guild but are reluctant to even show them your gear? Why the hell would you join a guild then?

to have fun chatting with the same ppl everytime i log in?

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

Yet you wouldn’t show them what gear you have.

in Suggestions

Crica.1503

Yet you wouldn’t show them what gear you have.

not if i dont want to, no

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

Then why would they want you in their guild? You won’t even trust them with showing what you have equipped. Sounds reaaaaaaally unfriendly and untrustworthy to me.

in Suggestions

Crica.1503

Then why would they want you in their guild? You won’t even trust them with showing what you have equipped. Sounds reaaaaaaally unfriendly and untrustworthy to me.

because we enjoy chatting with each other everytime we log on?

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

Yet you don’t trust them enough to link them your gear. Do you burn off every icon on your clothing so your friends don’t know where you got it as well?

in Suggestions

Crica.1503

Yet you don’t trust them enough to link them your gear. Do you burn off every icon on your clothing so your friends don’t know where you got it as well?

its not about trust – its about opportunity

i dont care to give anyone the opportunity to cause me drama over my gear

i prefer to spend my time enjoying the game and not spend my time dealing with anyone’s personal issues with my gear

its that simple

(edited by Crica.1503)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I don’t see why we need to be able to inspect each other. If you want to know something just ask. It’ll be a means by which people ridicule new players.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

Because gear looks different depending on race/gender/dyes used. You can’t see what a character looks like without being next to him.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Just ask. I’ve asked probably 8 people what they were wearing in game and I always got a reply. Ask nicely and people will answer.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrond.1385

Marrond.1385

When I see something nice and ask (this is how I found skin for my medium armour – Duelist for male ) people allways answer. When I ask for build they alt+tab and give me link (sadly not many of them ever heard of shortening links but oh well I’m thankfull anyway) with whole build. Not sure why should Inspect exist. There are no unique armours in terms of stats, and dungeons can be done with glass cannon builds. It all goes down to player. Because how do you exactly know what’s experience of the player you’re inspecting? How do you know if he maybe would do better than you with only 11k hp on lvl 80 with full Berserker gear of Divinity? Or how would you be able to judge that seeing a guy with support build? I’m very curious, really.

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

Just ask. I’ve asked probably 8 people what they were wearing in game and I always got a reply. Ask nicely and people will answer.

Because gear looks different depending on race/gender/dyes used. You can’t see what a character looks like without being next to him.

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

When I see something nice and ask (this is how I found skin for my medium armour – Duelist for male ) people allways answer. When I ask for build they alt+tab and give me link (sadly not many of them ever heard of shortening links but oh well I’m thankfull anyway) with whole build. Not sure why should Inspect exist. There are no unique armours in terms of stats, and dungeons can be done with glass cannon builds. It all goes down to player. Because how do you exactly know what’s experience of the player you’re inspecting? How do you know if he maybe would do better than you with only 11k hp on lvl 80 with full Berserker gear of Divinity? Or how would you be able to judge that seeing a guy with support build? I’m very curious, really.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

Easy peesy way of enabling this without getting butthurt. Make it an option. Make everyone set to unable to be inspected by default. People can enable it if they want. Disable the function entirely against enemies in PvP or WvW so that they can’t see your gear no matter whether you have it disabled or not.

If you’re against this then you against it just for the sake of being against it. It literally does no harm whatsoever.

in Suggestions

Marrond.1385

And what is the point of inspecting the player that isn’t next to you? I have nothing against I just don’t see any reason to bother with. If you want to check how certain armour look on diffrent class and gender there should be an option in preview window to select model. Actualy I have few ideas for preview feature I will cover later on. (yeah I love cosmetics)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

If you really wanted to know what he has equipped and you ask him, he could link it in chat for you to see it’s stats and preview how it would look on you anyway.

This feature is pointless and useless, you can be bathed in exotic gear and still not know how to play the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yellow Beard Hellfist.2940

Yellow Beard Hellfist.2940

I say ask other wise none of your business what i am wearing .

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

And what is the point of inspecting the player that isn’t next to you? I have nothing against I just don’t see any reason to bother with.

Because I have a friends and a guildmates who don’t follow me around wherever I go?

in Suggestions

Marrond.1385

Because I have a friends and a guildmates who don’t follow me around wherever I go?

You like to look at them? Take a picture? I have picture of my girlfriend, sure it’s not as good as she is herself but that’s all I have when we are nowhere near to each other sometimes :P

in Suggestions

Canoas.8423

You like to look at them? Take a picture? I have picture of my girlfriend, sure it’s not as good as she is herself but that’s all I have when we are nowhere near to each other sometimes :P

Sometimes a people get a new gear and talk about it? I honestly don’t understand how the concept is so hard to comprehend.

in Suggestions

Marrond.1385

Sometimes a people get a new gear and talk about it? I honestly don’t understand how the concept is so hard to comprehend.

Hah, I’m just teasing with you