Inspect gear feature

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

I remember hearing about an inspect gear feature similar to D3 a few months back, if i recall correctly around the TP preview upade. What ever happened to this? Is it still being worked on?

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t really know that I think it’s a good idea. There’s already too much elitism in the game.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

These threads never go well…

The Burninator

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

These threads never go well…

hah, no kidding. /inspect thread is 5 page argument where no one agrees on anything until the thread is moved to suggestions and forgotten about.

personally, i am for inspect, but if someone believes a tool will create “elitism” there is simply no way to convince them otherwise. The damage that WoW did cannot be undone.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

votes no on /inspect

Just my opinion.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I remember hearing about an inspect gear feature similar to D3 a few months back, if i recall correctly around the TP preview upade. What ever happened to this? Is it still being worked on?

Source? As far as I’m aware ArenaNet has never stated they are working on such a feature.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Please no. The community is already toxic enough over what gear is best, do we need a tool that these jerks can use to belittle and be a kitten to anyone?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Dr Ritter.1327

Source? As far as I’m aware ArenaNet has never stated they are working on such a feature.

i’m pretty sure it was just a dev saying something about it on here

The Paragon
#beastgate

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

personally, i am for inspect, but if someone believes a tool will create “elitism” there is simply no way to convince them otherwise.

Sadly, the behaviour of some /inspect supporters on other such threads in the past has served to reinforce this impression. From accusations of Magic Find users “leeching” off hard-working zerkers to the expectation that all players ‘conform’ to an elitist’s world view were pretty evident. Skill is something that is seen as an irrelevance compared to four-digit DPS counts.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

(edited by uknortherner.2670)

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I personally like the idea, but I’m not a troll or elitist in any way, more because if I like the look of an armor or weapon it would be nice to know what it is…on the other hand, I really have no problem whispering a complete stranger to ask them what staff or armor they’re using. 99% of the time players respond and we have a little conversation about gear and specing ideas, so I guess in a way this ways is better.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Scrambles.2604

personally, i am for inspect, but if someone believes a tool will create “elitism” there is simply no way to convince them otherwise.

Sadly, the behaviour of some /inspect supporters on other such threads in the past has served to reinforce this impression. From accusations of Magic Find users “leeching” off hard-working zerkers to the expectation that all players ‘conform’ to an elitist’s world view were pretty evident. Skill is something that is seen as an irrelevance compared to four-digit DPS counts.

i’ve read comments from the anti-inspect crowd that are more ‘elitist’ than mild-mannered, reasonable voices from the /inspect crowd. Every community has trolls and bad mannered people, and this extends to everything, from different sides of an argument all the way to people that will use what ever tools they have accessible to ruin other peoples fun in an MMO.

As soon as we realize these type of people will always exist in any population, in generally the same percentages, then we can stop throwing around hyperbole and have a real discussion.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Its called asking people .

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Dr Ritter.1327

Please no. The community is already toxic enough over what gear is best, do we need a tool that these jerks can use to belittle and be a kitten to anyone?

i already kick some based on achievement points, inspect would be more accurate to measure preparedness

The Paragon
#beastgate

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I don’t really care, it wouldn’t affect me either way. Elitists won’t take my main with them to dungeons already because she is a Ranger, so they wouldn’t even bother inspecting her gear anyway. Also, my Warrior is already full zerker because I was afraid she would end up being kicked from parties if the inspect option was ever added, and she is the one I do speedruns with.
Still, asking people is still better, and it is even better if the people that were asked about their gear would simply tell the truth or, if they are afraid of elitism, turn around and look for another group. I mean, you wouldn’t want to play with elitists anyway, right?

i already kick some based on achievement points, inspect would be more accurate to measure preparedness

Out of sheer curiosity, how many achievement points a person must have to be in your party?

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

(edited by Gabby.3205)

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I got something you can inspect. /inspect this..

Attachments:

The Burninator

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deano.7913

Deano.7913

This illustrates why I think the original post is a bad idea.

[WP] Wisenheimer Prime | Guild Leader
Polyhistor Serpente – lvl 80 Elementalist | Crystal Desert
http://www.twitch.tv/polyhistorsl

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

This illustrates why I think the original post is a bad idea.

^This.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

i already kick some based on achievement points,

And this is exactly why Inspect should never be implemented.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Upham.6137

Upham.6137

I mean, you wouldn’t want to play with elitists anyway, right?

Yeah, who wants to play with a group of people who took the time and gold to level a certain class, get a proper zerker set (ascended stuff, runes, sigils, etc), learn to play that class, learn every fight, use consumables and all that, right?

Well no, most people wanna play with a group like that, but not everyone wanna spend the gold and time getting there too.

Bläck Dähliä

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Yeah, who wants to play with a group of people who took the time and gold to level a certain class, get a proper zerker set (ascended stuff, runes, sigils, etc), learn to play that class, learn every fight, use consumables and all that, right?

Well no, most people wanna play with a group like that, but not everyone wanna spend the gold and time getting there too.

That’s not elitism. Elitism is telling other people to take a certain class, get a proper zerker set (ascended stuff, runes, sigils, etc) and play the way you want them to play. Or like the OP, even kicking people for their amount of achievement points.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I see no reason to not provide this feature for people that want it, so long as there is an ability to prevent someone from inspecting you. Then you can put ‘inspect’ in your LFG comment, and the onus is on me as to whether or not I want to disable it to join your group or wait for another.

And if you ever see me and happen to like something I’m wearing and wonder what it is, feel free to ask me, I’d be happy to link it!

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Upham.6137

Upham.6137

That’s not elitism. Elitism is telling other people to take a certain class, get a proper zerker set (ascended stuff, runes, sigils, etc) and play the way they want. Or like the OP, even kicking people for their amount of achievement points.

When I read a post like “LFM guard/warr only, melee lupi”, instead of getting mad and calling them elitists on the forum I just look for a different party.
And when I read a post like “LFM lvl +35 any class welcome we are killing everything” I don’t join to tell them to L2P and ragequit, I just look for a different party.

Bottom line, if people post looking for something specific and you don’t fill the reqs and still join, it’s your problem. Wanting them not to be able to see your pvt gear or whatever so they don’t kick you is just selfish.

Bläck Dähliä

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Wanting them not to be able to see your pvt gear or whatever so they don’t kick you is just selfish.

Nope.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Scrambles.2604

Wanting them not to be able to see your pvt gear or whatever so they don’t kick you is just selfish.

Nope.

“Play how you want” goes both ways. You can play how you want, and others don’t have to be forced to play with you.

Obviously, a little tact could go a long way here—you could be polite instead of outright booting someone. And better yet, you could explicitly state what you want in LFG. But i think it’s reasonable that some people prefer to run group under rigid conditions (x gear only).

That being said, if someone is going to ask me to leave a group, i would prefer it be because they inspected me and saw i didn’t have the gear they were looking for, instead of basing it on a less reliable measure, such as achievement points.

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Nope.

“Play how you want” goes both ways. You can play how you want, and others don’t have to be forced to play with you.

Obviously, a little tact could go a long way here—you could be polite instead of outright booting someone. And better yet, you could explicitly state what you want in LFG. But i think it’s reasonable that some people prefer to run group under rigid conditions (x gear only).

That being said, if someone is going to ask me to leave a group, i would prefer it be because they inspected me and saw i didn’t have the gear they were looking for, instead of basing it on a less reliable measure, such as achievement points.

Of course it’s ok if you want to play with people who only use a specific type of gear. But the problem is, right now there are people willing to kick players based on their achievement points, which is ridiculous because achievement points mean absolutely nothing.

If people are willing to kick players for something as insignificant as achievement points, can you image what will happen when players have inspect? I wouldn’t be suprised if you got kicked because you have one ‘wrong’ trinket. Or use a sigil they don’t like.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Scrambles.2604

Nope.

Of course it’s ok if you want to play with people who only use a specific type of gear. But the problem is, right now there are people willing to kick players based on their achievement points, which is ridiculous because achievement points mean absolutely nothing.

If people are willing to kick players for something as insignificant as achievement points, can you image what will happen when players have inspect? I wouldn’t be suprised if you got kicked because you have one ‘wrong’ trinket. Or use a sigil they don’t like.

that’s the point—if i’m going to get kicked i would prefer it be for an understandable reason. The amount of achievement points you have may reflect your experience in the game, but ultimately will not be a significant predictor of the effect your presence will have on the group.

With inspect, you are being judged based on the effect your participation will have on the group, because the gear you have can improve or detract from the group dynamic.

Now, ideally, i would prefer to not get kicked at all, which is why i join groups that don’t care and most likely wouldn’t boot me if inspect existed. But if for whatever reason a group deems me unfit to participate, i would prefer the reasons at least be relatively justifiable (as in, i did not have the gear/build the group was looking for).

But MOST importantly, all of this is a non-issue if people simply use LFG properly. Instead, we’re inundated on the forums with hyperbole about people being constantly ostracized from the moment they log in because they read on the forums the high end dungeon runners use zerker gear. All the while advocating against a tool like /inspect, which would significantly benefit new players and decrease the amount of time i have to spend with GW2 alt-tabed, playing my favorite sub game “find that armor on dulfy”

Inspect gear feature

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I don’t want to play with a group like that.

I suppose that the /inspect feature would be good insurance against it, since they would kick me for not having the gear. But really, I’d just as soon not have it in the game. There are other ways to recognize and avoid “those” people no matter which side of the fence you’re on.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace