Invulnerability mechanic has got to go.

in Suggestions

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

OK, I cannot count the number of times PvE enemies inexplicably become invulnerable while I’m fighting them. There seem to be two basic scenarios here. In one, the enemy turns completely invulnerable after I’ve taken it down most of the way, then heals fully, then starts attacking me again. In the other case, the enemy continues to attack (and do damage), and some of my skills damage the enemy while others do no damage as the enemy is “Invulnerable”.

There are also dynamic events and personal missions where the use of invulnerability is clearly intentional, usually a bunch of enemies appear and are invulnerable for a while until they become susceptible to damage. The basic problem in this case is that there’s no way to tell that the enemies are invulnerable before you waste skills on them. Some of the quests actually avoid the invulnerable mechanic by making the enemies green when you’re not supposed to attack them: I think this works fine, and I wonder why not all events work this way.

The invulnerablitily mechanic is the single most frustrating thing in PvE combat. It immediately ruins the immersion in the fight, and makes me want to throw a brick at the screen. It has to go.

I’ve attached a screenshot which shows how lame this mechanic is, fighting a krait near the end of a small jumping puzzle in Mount Maelstrom. That krait is currently attacking and doing damage. Some of my skills are damaging it, some are saying “Invulnerable”. I have fights like this all the time.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

Well in my experience I’ve seen 2 invulerability situations as well.
The first has only happened while in water and a mob at some random point of the fight runs away, heals to 100% and comes back.
The second is when I’m in an unreachable position for the mob and he apparently has no ranged attacks, hence can’t hit me.
The first I can only believe is a bug of some kind.
And the second has got to be an anti exploit system so I can’t kill something without him being able to hit me back (I find this an arguable point because it goes against fighting strategy and enviroment usage but, fine if you want it this way I won’t disagree).
But still they both are very annoying, besides the second one when I come down from my cool spot and get to a place where I can be hit, the invulerability doesn’t go away right away, instead takes like 10 or so seconds. My suggestion for this would be give every mob some sort of ranged attack or a Scorpion like skill (MK anybody?) to pull me from where I am.

(edited by Azaziel.3608)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

I hate the idea of EVER making enemies invulnerable when you’re in range and have line-of-sight (well, unless they have a temporary buff or mechanic), but what makes it even worse about the “invulnerable when unreachable” design is that a lot of enemies just have terrible pathing AI and are incapable of running a few feet out of the way and up a 2’ elevation change, so it still triggers the invulnerability if you hit them from range. There are way too many enemy placements that should be able to be pulled from range, but the busted pathing combined with the invulnerability mechanic forces you to run up and engage them in melee range.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

YES PLEASE!!

You won’t believe how many times this happens to me when I am fighting Kraits underwater, so kittening annoying……Also, I can understand them making them invulnerable when attacking from a place where they can’t hit you, but why can they hurt us when they’re in a place we can’t hit THEM?