Jumping Puzzle improvement so more enjoyable

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

Now, I dislike Jumping Puzzles, so I realise I am biased. I would love to see how many jumping puzzles would be actually completed if there were no Achievement Points attached to them. I think this would proove that most people do not like them.

Anyway, this is not my point, as I realise they are not going to be removed, as there are people that like them. So I would like to suggest an improvement that would help with anger levels. You have to admit, when you fall and have to start from scratch or a certain point and do a large part of the puzzle ALL OVER AGAIN, this is what really makes the puzzle NO FUN. I can work out builds, or read up what others are saying to beat a certain boss, but when it comes to JP’s and my dexterity or whatever is not right, I am stuffed. Something that I can’t really help.

I don’t want to take puzzles away, and kill the fun of some, so could there not be a compromise? Please Develpers, rework some of the puzzles and add something into certain places so that you do not have to run from the start of some puzzles or a long distance when falling. With practice I am sure I can do the “jump”, but running to that same point again or jumping to it which can take ages, is what is killing me.

That is one of the single most disheartening problems with JP’s and makes them not fun at all. I don’t mind trying and trying again, but when I have to run a few minutes and jump all the way to a certain spot, only to fall again, then is really soul destroying. Please add something in to some of the puzzles so that one does not have spend ages jumping to a certain point all over again.

Please….

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I think having ‘rest points’ on the more difficult puzzles where you can speak to an NPC to start at that point would be reasonable. Kind of like the Lab one with tied jumps.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

I think having ‘rest points’ on the more difficult puzzles where you can speak to an NPC to start at that point would be reasonable. Kind of like the Lab one with tied jumps.

Yes, agreed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kihaku.2918

Kihaku.2918

I heartily agree. I want to do them for AP, but I will never go back to them after I do them once, not most atleast. They are mostly just making me frustrated and angry, since if i do even one slight miss step, I’m dead and everything has to be done again. And the most problem usually is the camera, since you cant see where youre supposed to jump or the camera decides to zoom inside your head randomly. That makes half of the jumps mostly biased by luck.

And one of the worst jp:s is the new aesthiblade dive achievement. I’ve tried to do it for hours and it has only made me cry in real life and get frustrated to the whole game. The jp is from do i say where and the dive itself is almost worse. The result is, I don’t still have the achievement, my window reminds me that my dive achievement might be completed soon (37/38) and I’m annoyed. The mobs kill us, keep us from jumping, there’s way too many jumps, wayyyy too many deaths if you do even one mistake and general stupidness of the jump.

I’m really fed up with it. Please do something about it. Or delete my other dive achievements so I don’t have to be reminded of failing the jump everytime I open my panel.

(edited by Kihaku.2918)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

In the meantime, give yourself an edge:

Get an EXPERIMENTAL RIFLE and/or an EXPERIMENTAL TELEPORTATION GUN (a whole stack of each!): http://dulfy.net/2013/01/16/gw2-useful-and-fun-consumables-guide/ They can really help us poor jumpers! (Some Professions have Teleports, and the Engineer’s rifle has a jump skill. Jumping seems more useful than teleporting for the most part.)

And if you are a Norn or a Charr (or otherwise just too darned tall), them make yourself shorter! My Charr uses the ENDLESS TOY SOLDIER TONIC from Wintersday. He becomes as tall as an Asura, and travels on two legs (much easier to gauge jumps than when galloping along on four). I am sure there are others, but my Charr refused to be a Toy Princess Doll.

Anyone else have little jumping hints or tips? I can always use some more good stuff myself. (Like YouTube – all the Jumping Puzzles are there! Dulfy is always good. They even show you how to make the Aetherblade jump.)

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

in Suggestions

Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

In the meantime, give yourself an edge:

Get an EXPERIMENTAL RIFLE and/or an EXPERIMENTAL TELEPORTATION GUN (a whole stack of each!): http://dulfy.net/2013/01/16/gw2-useful-and-fun-consumables-guide/ They can really help us poor jumpers! (Some Professions have Teleports, and the Engineer’s rifle has a jump skill. Jumping seems more useful than teleporting for the most part.)

And if you are a Norn or a Charr (or otherwise just too darned tall), them make yourself shorter! My Charr uses the ENDLESS TOY SOLDIER TONIC from Wintersday. He becomes as tall as an Asura, and travels on two legs (much easier to gauge jumps than when galloping along on four). I am sure there are others, but my Charr refused to be a Toy Princess Doll.

Anyone else have little jumping hints or tips? I can always use some more good stuff myself. (Like YouTube – all the Jumping Puzzles are there! Dulfy is always good. They even show you how to make the Aetherblade jump.)

Hmm, you sir may have something there with the Rifle. It is worth a try on the puzzle I was doing in Fields of Ruin just now… which led to my frustration

in Suggestions

Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

Well, I tried the rifle, as I had some already… just forgot about them. It helped me through one area, just blew up on the 2nd final bit. Then, I just kept missing a jump in different areas on the way to the same difficult parts. Sigh, really annoying, and far from fun.
Then finally I just got to the part that did work with the gun, and then it back fired again. I really don’t see how Arena.net can understand how Magic Find in its current state is against their game philosophy, and still keep jumping puzzles in their current form.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tibago.8276

Tibago.8276

The problem with jumping puzzles is that the process of actually doing them can be incredibly frustrating. The reason as described by the OP is, I believe, correct, i. e. having to constantly redo relatively tricky content, which is now increasingly boring (because you have JUST done it . . . and redone it). It is true that one is relieved and perhaps also has a sense of achievement once one has completed the JP, but for me, this does not adequately compensate for the totally frustrating process (sometimes hours) of going over the same content over and over and over until you get it right. However, I think this could be remedied by the introduction of what I term “rock-climbing equipment.” In real life, if one were actually to attempt a jump on some cliff face, one would first secure oneself with a rope, and then attempt the jump. To fail the jump merely means hauling oneself back to the point from where the jump was attempted (as opposed to plummeting to one’s death). It seems to me that ArenaNet could mitigate huge frustration for those who struggle with JPs by introducing some form of consumable that would serve the same function in game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: jagabs.5086

jagabs.5086

As for me, most of JPs are okay but I find the Aetherblades JP is the MOST annoying and frustrating. I called it a stress builder JP. About 90-95% of that JP is jumping into a very narrow platform which is pretty ridiculous.

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Now, I dislike Jumping Puzzles, so I realise I am biased. I would love to see how many jumping puzzles would be actually completed if there were no Achievement Points attached to them. I think this would proove that most people do not like them.

And super mario isn’t the best selling video game genre of all time?

People like to platform, and given the popularity of SAB, people like to platform in this game. No achievements would still have people out in the game exploring the nooks and crannies. This game is awesome.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I really don’t see how Arena.net can understand how Magic Find in its current state is against their game philosophy, and still keep jumping puzzles in their current form.

Oh, I don’t know, maybe to have challenges for people who like JPs?

We do exist. Shocking, I know.

One – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I think you’re wrong.

One – Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I like JP’s. It’s a fresh invention and reminds me of the old Jump n’ Run games. Allthough, I have to agree some puzzles really need patience. Till now the only JP which totally frustrated me was “Not So Secret”. 90% of all JP’s are pretty easy and done in about 5-10 mins.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Nah, Jumping Puzzles do not need any change. But I guess Anet could add something into the direction of an “easy mode” where you can get up to the point you fell down or having checkpoints.

This would also allow better loot for those not using the easy mode.
Hardcore jump & run players like me are still able to do the jumping puzzles as they are and those with less skills can get the achievement and the old loot.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Hmm, you sir may have something there with the Rifle. It is worth a try on the puzzle I was doing in Fields of Ruin just now… which led to my frustration

Fields of Ruin jp?
You mean one called branded mine?
it wasn’t such hard for me…
and I am jumping antitalent
actually only thing that get me frustrated when I was doing it is the fact that when I was doing this and was in just about 1/4 of the jumpiing puzzle some guild comes and activated Guild mission…

and Branded devourers took their aim on me when there was no ppl from this guild nearby.
in fight so cannot jump to the next spot..
standing on such place that staying alive was also impossible

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles