Just do away with thief invisibility

in Suggestions

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

It is just stupid.

I get it, thieves can hide in the shadows and avoid notice. But in the middle of an empty snow field, no one is going to stop noticing a lone person standing there.

Not only that, but realistically we would hear them, see their footprints and feel from which direction they are attacking. Since this game only gives us the 1 sense to use (vision), a completely invisible character is like applying a blind, deafen and numb to the character.

At the most they should go translucent as a compromise. Completely invisible is just silly.

In WvW 1 took out several players at once. Not because they were bad but because they had no idea if it was an arrow cart or a ranged skill or a trap that had taken a bite out of their health. A sneak attack means the opponent starts off with 30-50% less health when they even realize they are in combat, and even more when they’re trying to find who attacked them. And I know you’ll say “use condition damage and AoE” but while those are being channeled, the thief has Interrupted and/or killed you.

Honestly it feels like cheating and makes me want to not do any PvP or WvW because the playing field isn’t level. If you don’t want to regulate thieves, you should at least give other classes abilities which similarly debuff the player (not the character), like a skill that turns the opponent’s screen black, or gives their fingers a shock through the keyboard.

Everyone but thieves hate this. Please do us all a favour and change it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sceye.5836

Sceye.5836

I think we can hear things too.
And if you’re hardcore enough… you can feel it.

Feel the magic

in Suggestions

Clark Skinner.4902

I didn’t hear anything. Amongst sounds of battle, there are no sounds audible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

For god’s sake. Just rename the thread to “Delete Thieves”. That’s what you’re asking. Thieves are NOTHING without stealth. You’re effectively trying to morph them in to inferior versions of Warriors. When the rendering problems with stealth are fixed, it will be perfectly fine. Just deal. Seriously. These threads are getting tiring.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

The idea is that thieves use a form of denial magic, making true invisibility valid, since they’re not just ducking in plain sight. You can see it from the use of skills such as shadow refuge and shadow step. Those can’t be achieved with anything except magic.

I’m not a thief and i dont hate it. So don’t generalise on my behalf.

in Suggestions

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

WvWvW shouldn’t be a good place to gauge whether or not you are having difficulty seeing a thief, at least not in the larger groups. The culling issue can sometimes make even fatty warriors seem invisible.

If you don’t want to regulate thieves, you should at least give other classes abilities which similarly debuff the player (not the character), like a skill that turns the opponent’s screen black, or gives their fingers a shock through the keyboard.

OK, OK, troll thread, I took the bait. Whoops.

(edited by synk.6907)

in Suggestions

Clark Skinner.4902

For god’s sake. Just rename the thread to “Delete Thieves”. That’s what you’re asking. Thieves are NOTHING without stealth. You’re effectively trying to morph them in to inferior versions of Warriors. When the rendering problems with stealth are fixed, it will be perfectly fine. Just deal. Seriously. These threads are getting tiring.

The fact that there are enough of them to tire you says that there’s a problem.

I have experienced the rendering problems as well, it’s very similar but not the case in the 3 times I’ve experienced this.

Why should I just deal? Why shouldn’t you just deal with a thief that has no invisibility? Seriously.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The fact that there are enough of them to tire you says that there’s a problem.

I have experienced the rendering problems as well, it’s very similar but not the case in the 3 times I’ve experienced this.

Why should I just deal? Why shouldn’t you just deal with a thief that has no invisibility? Seriously.

Well now I know you’re trolling. It’s the rendering problem any and every time stealth seems over the top. As soon as any hostility is put on a target, the attacker should immediately pop out of stealth in an obvious manner. That does not happen. That is the source of the problems. End of story.

I don’t even know why I’m still trying to insert logic here. “Why should I just deal? Why shouldn’t you just deal with a thief that has no invisibility? Seriously.” Pahahahaha.

Next time I’ll try not to take the bait.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dedara.7064

Dedara.7064

I love theives.
I have a theif as my main.
I had a rogue as my main in WoW.
Stealth is the best invention ever.
If you don’t like it, roll a theif.

Maybe they can make something where stealth is disabled for a while after being broken or something.

in Suggestions

Clark Skinner.4902

The issue isn’t that people aren’t enjoying playing a thief. The issue is when playing with a thief. Me rolling something else doesn’t solve anything.

I don’t know if this rendering problem is the same as the general invisible enemies from WvW.

What it was like for me is: I am suddenly down to 1/3 health. I look around, see nothing, I take more damage, I see a flicker of a character and they’re gone. I realize it’s a thief, so I try to use an AoE. Then they flicker again. My attack didn’t happen. I try to move around until I can see where to target my next AoE. They appear briefly and I’m dead.

Repeat for the next 3 people who wander in.

Is that working properly or a bug? Either way, please fix.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Maybe you’re just bad. I mean, really... Thieves can’t stealth for 3 seconds after they attack from stealth. It’s called Revealed.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

I wouldn’t say get rid of invisibility altogether on the thief because that’s part of their core skills.

What I would like though, is to see that invisibility removed when killing a downed opponent (which is highly unbalanced in PVP/WVW).

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: YumCHA.8706

YumCHA.8706

Or some skill that tracks stealth users. But that will never happen.

Rangetastic, 80 Ranger | Archers United [ARC]
Sea of Sorrows

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hateborne.7942

Hateborne.7942

I wouldn’t say get rid of invisibility altogether on the thief because that’s part of their core skills.

What I would like though, is to see that invisibility removed when killing a downed opponent (which is highly unbalanced in PVP/WVW).

Absolutely this. I hate watching thieves pop stealth to freely execute me. I kind of wish Quickness and Stealth wouldn’t work on executes. Whatever though, gives the thieves something to stand against my guardian goodness. flex

-Hate

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jazneo.8213

Jazneo.8213

you should know a Thief is a Assassin. we need sleath to kill are emeny fast. if you want win a match get some thief on your team

Let remove mage Aoe skill when we at it

(edited by Jazneo.8213)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

The issue isn’t that people aren’t enjoying playing a thief. The issue is when playing with a thief. Me rolling something else doesn’t solve anything.

I don’t know if this rendering problem is the same as the general invisible enemies from WvW.

What it was like for me is: I am suddenly down to 1/3 health. I look around, see nothing, I take more damage, I see a flicker of a character and they’re gone. I realize it’s a thief, so I try to use an AoE. Then they flicker again. My attack didn’t happen. I try to move around until I can see where to target my next AoE. They appear briefly and I’m dead.

Repeat for the next 3 people who wander in.

Is that working properly or a bug? Either way, please fix.

That is a bug with the rendering.

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

Realistically, snipers iRL wear clothes that help disguise them in the snow, use methods to cover their tracks, etc. Quit whining and play your char.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten Who Knows How Stealth Can Really Work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hateborne.7942

Hateborne.7942

Realistically, snipers iRL wear clothes that help disguise them in the snow, use methods to cover their tracks, etc. Quit whining and play *your* char.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten Who Knows How Stealth Can Really Work.

Realistically, magic doesn’t exist.

Quit contributing useless information and play *your* character.

Seriously though, screw Stealth executes. Stealth is otherwise fine though.

-Hate

in Suggestions

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Right on Clark!

While their at it, remove mesmers clones too! Also guardians shouldn’t have any healing/protection skills either!! Oh and Warriors, they should just fight with their fists!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

What next, zergs needs to be nerfed? For every friendly person within 1200 feet of you, you lose 5% stats to a minimum of 100 points in each? XD

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

WvW is not meant to be fair to begin with, so if you cant deal with the heat , jump out.

For SPvP well , usually the “rogue class” got stealth , so i dont see the problem , tons of other MMOs also got this and it is the way it is.

If you think it is OP , make a thief , cause i dont think the stealth is something they consider removing at all.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: EdGe.6510

EdGe.6510

“Realistically”…I doubt you will ever be fighting a 50 ft tall dragon either lol…just saying. But,back on topic, stealth is not all that powerful in this game. It’s already been nerfed to high heavens (example: Hide in Shadows used to last for 30 seconds back before release).
However,they could remove it,but then they would have to put something else in to compensate. Would you rather they disappear for a few seconds(literally, traited, the “at will” stealth on dagger lasts 4 seconds….) or for example: get some skill that allows them to evade attacks altogether for a few seconds while they lol faceroll you…Because if they removed stealth,they would simply have to give something for survivability/escape ,or a huge buff in damage.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tuccos.8592

Tuccos.8592

Give thiefs the opportunity to have their >Alpha Strike< out of stealth, do their burst but dont give them a way to re-stealth again after they showed up because that would be magic and part of a mage class.

Re-Stealth is the weird thing thiefs can do. I cant imagine someones attacking me in real life from behind then dissapears into nothingness and i just cant see him anymore. Thats completly stupid.

Invisibility belongs to mages (Mesmers) and not to thiefs if at all………

in Suggestions

Posted by: bow.6179

bow.6179

@Tuccos..you cant see in real life…this isn’t real life. I cant see in real life being attacked by a giant tree person. Learn to play.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

It is just stupid.

I get it, thieves can hide in the shadows and avoid notice. But in the middle of an empty snow field, no one is going to stop noticing a lone person standing there.

Not only that, but realistically we would hear them, see their footprints and feel from which direction they are attacking. Since this game only gives us the 1 sense to use (vision), a completely invisible character is like applying a blind, deafen and numb to the character.

At the most they should go translucent as a compromise. Completely invisible is just silly.

In WvW 1 took out several players at once. Not because they were bad but because they had no idea if it was an arrow cart or a ranged skill or a trap that had taken a bite out of their health. A sneak attack means the opponent starts off with 30-50% less health when they even realize they are in combat, and even more when they’re trying to find who attacked them. And I know you’ll say “use condition damage and AoE” but while those are being channeled, the thief has Interrupted and/or killed you.

Honestly it feels like cheating and makes me want to not do any PvP or WvW because the playing field isn’t level. If you don’t want to regulate thieves, you should at least give other classes abilities which similarly debuff the player (not the character), like a skill that turns the opponent’s screen black, or gives their fingers a shock through the keyboard.

Everyone but thieves hate this. Please do us all a favour and change it.

No.
let’s remove warrior armor and ranger pets while we are at it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kneemin.4235

Kneemin.4235

Despite that this seems to be a troll thread…

My main is an elementalist, and a theif has to be pretty good to actually kill me. If I see damage, my immediate reaction is to dodge roll and prepare to kick someones kitten

I also have a theif and hes only lvl 21, yet I am able to own people in wvw… if they suck. Every half decent player I try to attack trounces me horribly due to my lower level.

P.S. You CAN hit thieves in stealth. You may not see numbers but you still damage them and I bet you that if you manage to whack them for a few thousand damage, they aren’t going to stick around to try killing you.

P.P.S. Thieves with highly evasive specs via stealth are usually really squishy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Now, one amusing phenomenon I’ve seem to have noticed is, that every time a staff member says they tested some content / its soloable / balanced or what ever, they also mention they tried it out with a thief.

So…
I guess I should go roll a thief my self. A class that every staff member plays must be really good one / fun to play.
Shame I really love’d elementalists in GW1.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.