Lack of Microtransactions

in Suggestions

Posted by: MeveM.7913

MeveM.7913

I don’t really understand what Arenanet are doing. You’ve given us a free to play game, and you expect to get income from microtransactions. Why are they so rubbish?

I still cannot get my head around why Arenanet does not have a dedicated Gem Shop team that’s throwing out new outfits etc. After what, 7 months since release and there’s still only 1 armour set per armour type.

I want to invest money in the game and support the company that’s made a game I enjoy, but I can’t even throw my money at them, seems like they don’t actually want any money. So far all I’ve spent my money on is changing my hair and dyes.

Can someone explain to me how they’re supposed to be making money when all that’s changed in the gem shop is a back pack, a hair changer and a failed gender changer without a name renamer (this causing a mass population of transvestite characters running around.). There’s a few town clothing options yet the general support for roleplayers is non-existent. Why have town clothes when you can’t even sit on chairs?

If I was the person in charge of the marketing in Anet I’d cry in a corner. A microtransaction shop without hardly any updates with 7 months passed since launch.

I want to give you my money for heavens sake! Why won’t you let me?

PS: The argument of adding armour to the shop nullifies doing dungeons etc doesn’t work in a game that’s free, doing 20+ dungeon runs = time spent, which is what subscription games require you to do.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d love to see them offering town clothes, or other armor skin packages but I think those require some lead time? After all, first there’s the concept art, then the model, and then the translation of that into how it works on character models.

Even assuming they only do a cursory “yup that’s the arm” and don’t look out for horrible clipping issues, you probably won’t see these things immediately.

Though you should take this to the suggestions board and post there that you’d gladly pay gems for more armor/clothing

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Naii.9810

Naii.9810

People buy gems and convert it to gold!

Nah but yea, there’s so little in the cash shop :r

in Suggestions

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I would love to but there’s nothing cool I can actually buy outside of stuff like char slots and fine trans stones. Also everything but 1 character slot I’ve gotten through trading gold for gems.

Their funeral, I guess.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I believe they are relying a great deal on RNG items (such as Festivoo), as well as the ability to buy gold and then try to buy those obscenely rare drops.

I would definitely like to have more cosmetic items though.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: wizzard.1295

wizzard.1295

Free to play? where? I want you to return me those 50€ I wasted on the game then …

That aside … I’d get some gems for additional slots … but since they equal $ = € ….. no way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

I’d love to see them offering town clothes, or other armor skin packages but I think those require some lead time? After all, first there’s the concept art, then the model, and then the translation of that into how it works on character models.

Even assuming they only do a cursory “yup that’s the arm” and don’t look out for horrible clipping issues, you probably won’t see these things immediately.

Though you should take this to the suggestions board and post there that you’d gladly pay gems for more armor/clothing

Seven months is more then enough time, many games that have cash shops pop out fresh armor faster then one piece per year…….

As a matter of fact all of them do but this game, this cash shop is a complete joke of what they do offer for skins.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

Many have….

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sahriah.3792

Sahriah.3792

Technically its only been 5 1/2 months. Game was released 3 days before September, so id hardly count august, and feb is only half way through, a little exaggeration.

The development process for these things takes longer then you think. And id bet $10 on the fact they will release them in sets for 2-4 outfits at a time, not as each one is ready.

The first 6 months of the game at least is heavily dedicated to other things then making outfits, even if that’s whats going to make them money. Remember, just because that’s all YOU care about doesn’t mean they don’t have to try and appease everyone else.

They will get there. Nice thing is you can go do something else till they make you happy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

In case you haven’t noticed, gem prices have been creeping up steadily with every miniscule gem shop release. (I understand if you’re ‘throwing’ money at them inflation would mean nothing to you, but I hope you see where this is going probably)

Less is more. In terms of inflation anyway.

Quaggan Backpack, then the roses. I’m sure more’s to come.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The reason they don’t have as many cash-shop items or as many new additions as free to play games is because this is not a free to play game.

It’s a buy to play game. Their main source of income is from selling copies of the games so their focus is going to be on releasing content that keeps existing players interested until they’re ready to release an expansion and making the game seem interesting enough that more people will want to buy it. The gem shop, even with things like people converting gems to gold, is going to be a relatively small addition on top of that.

Hence why we’ve only seen a few new gem shop items but have seen several big updates with new content and been promised more to come further on down the line.

I assume they’ve set aside a chunk of the profits from initial sales (something like 2 million copies during pre-sale and the first month after release) to cover estimated server costs, staff wages and other running costs until they’re ready to release an expansion and start the process over. Same way most games companies do it when they’re releasing boxed offline games that don’t charge a subscription or have an in-game store.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Having spent $320 in the gem store on fluff I do not consider it a failure. That’s more than I’ve spent on any MMO to date. I get $ faster than gold in this game, so that’s what I use for character slots/bank slot/bag slot etc… I think I’ve used max $70 for gold.

And it’s only been 5+ months.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

in Suggestions

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

This isn’t TOR, where every race is just a re-skinned human. The difference in a human’s body and a charr’s means adding new armor to the game will not be a quick process.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

I don’t really understand what Arenanet are doing. You’ve given us a free to play game, and you expect to get income from microtransactions. Why are they so rubbish?

It’s not a free to play game, they’re making money off box sales with the gem shop as supplemental income.

Contrary to popular belief, the game doesn’t even need the shop for continued existence. They made more than enough with box sales to keep the relatively low server upkeep costs going forever if they wanted to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Given how lackluster the cash shop is, I doubt Arenanet cares about making money until they can stabilize the game.

But seriously, they don’t have to design new armor just put over some of the most popular Gw1 armor. Ofc, the issue might be how to redesign them for other racist but seriously their cash shop sucks in terms of cosmetic items.

Way to fail, Arenanet.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MeveM.7913

MeveM.7913

If it’s such a hassle to create armour skins because of the amount of races, then why did they bother with the two halloween skins? They could easily have turned those into Light (Witch) and Medium/Heavy (The king outfit), yet they waste it on a town outfit. Didn’t seem to take them that long to make it. They even reskinned Lions Arch twice instead of giving us something useful in the long term.

As for it not being free to play? To me it is, do you realize how much it will cost to keep the servers up and running? Without subscription fees we’re slowly sucking them empty of resources, are they going to rely on expansions? Really?

All I’m saying is surely they’d make a heck of a lot more money from having a Gem Shop team adding new stuff as often as possible than it would cost to pay their pay checks at the end of each month. From a business standpoint I cannot get my head around what they’re thinking with the shop. I personally expect more from it.

I’d happily pay a subscription fee if they had a gem shop team, I work for a living, but by the looks of it Arenanet does not want their player base to support them. From playing GW2 since launch I can already tell you that the average age of the player base is a lot higher then most other subscription based MMO’s, meaning there are plenty of adults with jobs here whom are more than willing to put some money into their spare time interest.

All I’m saying is, they should put more effort into the gem shop. I’ve spent more money in Planetside 2’s shop than I have in GW2 because they offer a far wider array of stuff to buy.

(edited by MeveM.7913)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Riko.1309

Riko.1309

I just want more town clothes! I took a break for the first couple of months in the game’s lifetime and I missed on getting a lot of things like the Winter’s Day dress!

Jacquie – Elementalist – Tarnished Coast