Legendary: Twilight's name really bothers me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soul.5923

Soul.5923

No, not because of cheesy books and movies., but because I like astronomy.

The graphic of Twilight is of a night sky. Neat. but that’s not what twilight is.

Figure a:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCpEbV158k

The time of twilight doesn’t have just a nights sky, or much of one at all(location dependent), as much as the glow of the sun in the atmosphere before sunrise, and post sunset. (yes, twilight comes twice in a 24 hour period)

Figure b:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Twilight_description_full_day.svg

Real twilight looks more like this:

Figure c, d, e:
http://hdfreewallpapers.com/walls/2012/05/24/amazing_twilight_sky-wide.jpg

http://www.landscape-photo.net/albums/Sky-Clouds/normal_twilight-sky-03.jpg

http://www.wallpapers-place.com/images/wallpapers/twilight_sky_hd_widescreen_wallpapers_1920x1200.jpeg

I think the name should be changed to midnight, or something that is actually what it is.

(edited by Soul.5923)

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It only makes sense.

Twilight is when the sun can no longer be seen in the sky, but you can’t still see the stars because of the residual sunlight disseminated in the atmosphere, and only the brightest objects in the sky can be seen.

Changing its name will both be more logical and have the added bonus of not remembering people of that horrible series of books and movies.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rallar.2986

Rallar.2986

A Rose by any other name will still smell as sweet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Midnight also doesn’t really cut it (cloudy night, no stars?) and all other names including the word “star” that just come to my mind sound silly.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: Direngrey.1247

Direngrey.1247

Thanks for the awesome backgrounds!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

It’s a great name.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

It makes sense since there is a duality concept behind the two swords.

Personally though, I’d have named the weapons Radiance instead of Sunrise and Oblivion instead of Twilight. Which are much more inherent to the swords’ colours and particle effects.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

So, in fact, it’s not the name that bothers you but the graphic.

Remove the stars, make it sort of blue-purple, “problem” solved?

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

No, it won’t. The human brain is a simulator. It doesn’t ‘see’ reality, it creates a simulation of reality based on our senses and its own data.
That’s why we have things like schizophrenia. We can only feel what our brains let us feel.

You give a person two roses from the same bush tree, and say one of them isn’t a rose, but something else, and chances are they’ll say they seem to smell differently, and even believe they smell differently, actually feeling it.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rallar.2986

Rallar.2986

Then its your perception not the name that changes your outlook on it.

I agree that human’s perception changes based on the data provided by it but no one but the wielder sees the name of the legendary.

And you don’t get the legendary for the name..

Idiosincrazy and schizophrenic tendency to want it changed. Definitely.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soul.5923

Soul.5923

Astronomically, it’s like calling a dog a cat.
-

Midnight also doesn’t really cut it (cloudy night, no stars?) and all other names including the word “star” that just come to my mind sound silly.

Solar midnight is the exact opposite of noon. The sun being equidistant from dawn and dusk at nadir. In Roman times Midnight literally meant the middle of the night. In modern times Midnight is the transition between days time of night. Where does one get the idea that midnight is a cloudy night with no stars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight
-

It makes sense since there is a duality concept behind the two swords.

Personally though, I’d have named the weapons Radiance instead of Sunrise and Oblivion instead of Twilight. Which are much more inherent to the swords’ colours and particle effects.

No so much sense to me, as there are two twilights in a given day. Sunset to dusk, and dawn to sunrise are the twilight times. While there is only one sunrise. Thematically, Sunrise is after Dawn, both literally, and precursor to legendary. Dusk is the precursor to Twilight, but in in real life the night comes after dusk(dusk is the end of the twilight between sunset to night).

While radiance would be a decent name, I am fine with Sunrise(as it looks like sunrise in the graphics). I think I’d stick with midnight or maybe Cosmos for twilight.

The opposite of sunrise is sunset, but they look kinda ‘samey’ at a glance.
-

So, in fact, it’s not the name that bothers you but the graphic.

Remove the stars, make it sort of blue-purple, “problem” solved?

I was just suggesting the easiest solution instead of altering graphics. But hey, if they wanna throw in some purple n blue sky color and maybe some multi colored clouds, to represent an actual twilight, that’s fine too.

(edited by Soul.5923)

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

Solar midnight is the exact opposite of noon. The sun being equidistant from dawn and dusk at nadir. In Roman times Midnight literally meant the middle of the night. In modern times Midnight is the transition between days time of night. Where does one get the idea that midnight is a cloudy night with no stars?

You misread that, probably my fault: I meant if midnight is cloudly, you can’t see stars, you that alone eventually isn’t the best name for this weapon. “starry night” just sounds… meh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

its a fantasy game, its not supposed to make 100% logical sense

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

Not being realistic doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be logically consistent within its universe, this is what also destroys many movies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

twilight is a cool word, and that’s literally the only reason it’s called that. the precursor is called “dusk” though, which i think you’d prefer.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Suggestions

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

I just want Twilight to have a sparkle effect.

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

I see what you did there :p