Light -- Medium -- Heavy -- Transmutation Stones

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kirsten Wilson.1762

Kirsten Wilson.1762

I like how detailed the character dye system, and I even think the transmutation stones are a nice idea also, but I would like to add one thing…

I would love to see us be able to purchace stones that let us transmute our graphics from any piece of gear, not just our archetype. For example, I HATE how boots look for medium armour, but with dyes I can make some awesome looking heavy boots. But… because I am a medium class, I can not use the graphics… ever.

I know that the graphics are coded already for my class and race already because I can preview what I look like with the other graphics so there is no reason we can not have this. If this game is going to survive totally on bought items from the store, I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certanity that I would pay for gems if I could use it to get the exact gear look that I want.

With the current stones system I can make my starter gear have level 80 stats. If this is the case, then I see absolutely no reason why we can’t use the graphics we want for our gear, to make us look as awesome as we like.

:)

— Kirsten

PS

Seriously, I would pay real money to be able to do this. Just consider it.

(edited by Kirsten Wilson.1762)

in Suggestions

Posted by: LadyFearghus.3406

LadyFearghus.3406

The only thing I want is a system where you can wear armour for your profession and below. If you can wear heavy you can also wear light. But if you wear light, you can’t wear heavy. I only want this for my Asura. He’s a warrior, but I think he’d look much better in robes I think it’s a little unfair for light armour wearers though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

Eh… I would not go for this. The game has a certain aesthetic with the classes, and this would break it somewhat.

An elementalist in full body metal plated armor. A warrior in a skimpy cloth outfit… Just does not seem to fit. I actually think it is a good idea that heavy users cannot wear med, or light armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deboog.1847

Deboog.1847

Eh… I would not go for this. The game has a certain aesthetic with the classes, and this would break it somewhat.

An elementalist in full body metal plated armor. A warrior in a skimpy cloth outfit… Just does not seem to fit. I actually think it is a good idea that heavy users cannot wear med, or light armor.

I think that the penalty of charging for transmute stones would be enough to keep the archtypes. Besides, theme is not a very good reason to not let others get to wear the armor they want.

The only thing I want is a system where you can wear armour for your profession and below. If you can wear heavy you can also wear light. But if you wear light, you can’t wear heavy. I only want this for my Asura. He’s a warrior, but I think he’d look much better in robes I think it’s a little unfair for light armour wearers though.

That’s hardly fair.

(edited by Deboog.1847)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

I don’t like this one because a big part of PvP is being able to guess your opponent’s class by looking at them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I think that the penalty of charging for transmute stones would be enough to keep the archtypes. Besides, theme is not a very good reason to not let others get to wear the armor they want.

Actually, aesthetics is a good reason to not let people do that. The game has soldiers, adventurers, and scholars. Each quite easily identifiable by the armor they wear. That would go out the window with this.

I may want my Asura to look like he was 10 feet tall. It’s only cosmetic (no gameplay change), so you would not have a problem with that… Or would you?

Some things just don’t fit…

in Suggestions

Posted by: God Boy.2830

God Boy.2830

I have been thinking about this a bit actually.
You already have in the game Heavy Armour that looks like light or none (just look for those bare chested or bikini clad warriors running around).

My suggestion would be to allow any armor be made to look like any armor EXCEPT the Chest and Legs (the parts that give most of the definable aesthetic). This would maintain the aesthetic and allow those of us who really want to look unique/cool to mix it up just a little bit.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LadyFearghus.3406

LadyFearghus.3406

That’s hardly fair.

Didn’t say it was fair. In fact I said it was UN-fair. It is somewhat realistic though. But I wouldn’t go for it. The best way to do it is give heavy looking light armour and more cloth like light armour looking heavy armour. They did a fair job with that already. Wouldn’t mind a more “battle-mage” look though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daenji.5280

Daenji.5280

I’m thinking it might be easier to make a case for requesting new armor that is thematically similar to what you want but with an adjustment to conform it to light, medium, or heavy as the target type. I mean, not to ask to be able to to use actual heavy armor items on a light armor user but you could ask for light armor items that have a similar aesthetic or style. (I would personally be more in favor of a proficiency system that let any character use any item or gain any ability but that means throwing the classes overboard.)

It seems that there’s no prejudice against the idea of cosmetic gear because that’s what transmutation does now. There’s also no pure logic dictating gear must match class because there are heavy armors that look like medium or light armor now. What appears to be the issue is the ability to recognize a class because of its armor. This is not a strong argument. It would literally imply comprehensive knowledge of the available armor sets for every class. It also makes no distinction between classes with distinct abilities such as Thief vs. Engineer. These two classes can look virtually identical but they do not play the same way. Warriors and Guardians are not clones of each other but can look very much alike. Mesmers and Elementalists can look alike but I doubt I’d base a comparison of them on their armor. Also, the look of armor has only so much to do with its stats. My gear, with heavy armor, might still be more statistically similar to the gear of a Mesmer depending on how we built our sets. Looking at our gear wouldn’t tell you that. Looking at my gear would not presently tell you whether I prefer +toughness, +power, +healing, +magic find, etc. It would only tell you that I look like a heavy armor user. Good luck figuring out what that means without playing with me or watching me use my skills.

Then, regarding aesthetic consistency, the issue is really whether it will end up being more desirable to allow players to determine their own aesthetics or requiring them to fit a certain standard. I believe most of us would prefer the standard to that freedom if the result was going to be that a large percentage of players made their characters look ridiculous. This seems like a reasonable concern. However, I have one problem with it. The very best way to make sure that no player looks ridiculous is to control the elements from which they can construct their look. So it suddenly seems a little weird to say that a Mesmer would look bad wearing something that would not make a Guardian look bad. If the armor is quality controlled before it ends up in the hands of players then I think the odds are actually against the players being able to make a lot of fashion mistakes.

Lastly, there has long been a holy grail of sorts with character creation in MMOs. Character creation is an absolutely HUGE interest of MMO gamers. It is a really frequently voiced desire to be able to make a character that is personally recognizable. When you encounter my character in the game I would like you to note that character’s name, pay attention to the design of its features, and notice how I’ve customized the appearance of my gear. The further and further you get from features that support this ability the more dissatisfied some gamers become. I’m lucky. The art department for this game has been very good with providing me with gear I like and character creation options that fit my idea of my character’s design. I personally believe the OP’s request reflects a positive attitude toward character creation potential in the game. If you continue to expand the options for this process and provide solutions when players feel unnecessarily restricted it will surely create successful identification between players and characters. That adds so much to every player’s motivation to play their character.

Therefore I support the examination of the process for providing cosmetic armor and the extension of that process toward greater realization of each player’s vision for their character’s appearance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

So if we roll a light armour class we are screwed out of gear choices?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kirsten Wilson.1762

Kirsten Wilson.1762

Kuzzi, If you honestly are stopping to check out if a player is wearing a dress or if it is just a long trenchcoat before how you decide to fight them, you probabaly have already lost the fight…

The Thief vs Engineer example is perfect. Both classes can look exactly alike, but will play totally different. How about sword weilding casters as compared to human cultural armour for heavy that is a halter top and skirt?

The truth of the matter is that if you look at the PVP locker and look at all the gear in the game, you will see that every set (light, medium, and heavy) has multiple sets and items that could easily be mistaken for something other than they are slotted as.

The simple truth of the matter is that some players (myself included) not only care about what they look like, it is a total gamebreaker if they are unhappy about it. Now, we have a really good system here with loads of options and if players are willing to spend real money on upgrades to change what they look like, it should be implemented.

GW2 does not have a monthly subscription. It needs players to buy stuff off the store to survive. This is clearly a way to get players to not only spend money to keep this game thriveing, but to also make a large ammount of players happy.

I can see no reason to not allow it.

:)

— Kirsten

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gothic Purple Squirrel.6048

Gothic Purple Squirrel.6048

Eh, I personally think your armor type just adds flavor to your class, leave it as is.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I would accept that for any piece other than torso, and probably also legs. As the those pieces are the ones that best identify the armor rating.

If someone wants to go around as a warrior with a hood, why not? But as an elementalist with heavy armor? That won’t do.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Daenji.5280

Armor rating cannot reliably be identified based on the armor’s appearance. Any armor could be transmuted to an appearance with either a higher or lower rating than the actual armor.

Also, I believe the armor adding flavor to your character supersedes having the armor add flavor to a class. Characters have classes. Classes do not have characters. I can delete my character and remake it as a different class. So the important thing is to follow the preferences of the player and reflect the decisions that player would make. This also acknowledges the real game mechanic in play which presently prioritizes cosmetic value over stat recognition through the ability to transmute items of various levels and base stats into items of other levels and different stats.

You also have to consider the popularity of either side in this discussion. If those against the suggestion are the majority (presently they are the 5/4 minority) they would actually have nothing to worry about with allowing the suggestion to be implemented. If most people would be against it then it would tend not to happen and you would hardly be bothered by it. Besides this, there is no practical value to spending much time noticing a discrepancy between a player’s appearance and their performance. In PvE this would simply be a matter of another player’s taste versus the taste of the individual concerning the appearance of their character. This would not work well as a rule because it is the same type of thought as giving me the ability to prevent you from picking the face you would like during character creation. That decision is actually yours because it is your character. How I dress my character is mine. In PvP this becomes even more silly. Attempting to tell what class someone is or what their stats would be based on their appearance is mildly suicidal. Do you have any good reason to believe that I am using level 0 armor just because it looks like I am? Hadn’t you better pay attention to how I am playing instead? This does not have an equal result in reverse. If most people are for it and would use it then it is actually an important part of character creation that is being excluded by the present system. Even if a significant minority would be for it then it would still be an important piece of character creation. What is even more important is that allowing it changes nothing about the numbers game. Everything would still work exactly as it does now. In this way you can see that the issue is isolated to a cosmetic issue. From the perspective that this is only a cosmetic issue it certainly seems more reasonable to allow it and understand that taste is a personal matter. In the same way that players who would use this would have to appreciate the taste of players who would keep using appearances that reflect the armor type.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deans.9415

Deans.9415

As someone who likes playing a warrior and is disappointed by the appearance of heavy armor, I’d be all for this; unfortunately combining different armor pieces can result in some buggy textures and clipping issues. Fixing it would take a lot of effort.

in Suggestions

Daenji.5280

Many armors have clipping issues now. I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea of it causing buggy textures. I would admit that’s a valid concern and would make this into more work but I have experimented with going to an armor vendor (also Cultural armor) and mixing and matching armors of different types. The armor preview has not shown any texture conflicts and clipping errors appear to be minimal or of no greater concern than with the existing combinations.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yagu.7134

Yagu.7134

I would like this idea to happen. It would greatly increase our potential to customize our characters and give them unique feel that I think many players value pretty high. Also it would not require so much work from Anet compared to creating new armors.

As for clipping and visual glitches they already exist as ppl said above me.

And the pvp issue – ech armor type can be worn by few classes so you cant determine which class enemy is playing and some armors dont look like they belong to the right type anyway.