Make Ameranth the new Nicolas

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

For those who don’t know who this NPC honours:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.375482-Guild-Wars-Inspires-Woman-to-Walk-Across-America

Seeing how Nic and Prof Yakkington are dead (bless their souls), and we need a solution to everyone staying in one place to farm (Plinx must be chuffed and all, all them people always wanting to help him, but seriously), how about this:

Making Ameranth the new Nicolas

How Will It Work?

Ameranth will travel the world every week, 3 days ect, giving a clue as to where she’s heading each time.

Ameranth will give you a list of items from a number of zones (say, 3 – 4, as opposed to just one) that she wants. These items won’t be easy to get, or be available on the TP, and will require you to go off the beaten track a bit, complete jumping puzzles, kill certain mobs, visit certain Heart Vendors ect ect. During Holiday events, she might ask for holiday items.

Once you have them all, you go back to her, and she gives you a Traveler’s Gift. This can be done once a day, with the item requirements changing each day.

What Do Traveler’s Gifts Contain?

Traveler’s Gifts would contain:

- A chunk of EXP, Karma and Coin (enough to make it desirable to do this task, meaning it needs to be equal or greater than the amount the general population can get in, say, an hour)
- A random component that’s used for creating Legendary weapons (Mystic Clover, 2 – 3 Ectos, 2 – 3 Obsidian Shards, 2 – 3 T6 crafting mats ect ect)
AND
- A rare weapon / piece of armour OR
- A low chance of getting a unique armour or weapon skin that’s only available through this method OR
- A low chance of getting a miniature that’s only available through this method OR
- A low chance of getting gems

Daily And Monthly Achievements, And It’s Own Title Track

This activity would also be added to the Daily Achievements list of things to do. Why does this make sense? Because as you’re exploring, you’re bound to come across different events, mob types and nodes, as well as having to kill stuff. This one would be the more difficult one to do.

As well as this, add this to the Monthly Achievements as well (say, opening 20 – 25 Traveler’s Gifts) in the place of WvW achievement.

Finally, add a Title track for opening Traveler’s Gifts in the Explorer Achievements, with the Blazing Trails (nice name, huh?) title for opening, say, a years worth of Gifts (meaning 365 gifts would need to be opened).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smelly Bookah.6957

Smelly Bookah.6957

Sounds like a good idea but I wouldnt like to see it as another daily achievment. Less grind, the better. Sometimes theres not much time to play and z-coins are useful.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Sounds like a good idea but I wouldnt like to see it as another daily achievment. Less grind, the better. Sometimes theres not much time to play and z-coins are useful.

Well, maybe not the Daily, but the Monthly one.

That’s the reason I put less Gifts required, because not everyone can play every day.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

I love the base idea of using this character as the new Traveling Collector. The rewards sound nice, but maybe too much. Some of that stuff is supposed to be really hard to come by.

Another idea is that Ameranth slowly moves through each zone, one zone per day. Needs protection, or supplies, gathering souvenirs and etc. Stops by the outposts in the area to rest. Actually traversing Tyria over the course of the month.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

And to know where she is, we would still need to use the wiki or there will be an in-game information about that? I would like to see less chat like “Do you know where is Ameranth today and what is she collecting?”

Otherwise, a very good idea

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

I love the base idea of using this character as the new Traveling Collector. The rewards sound nice, but maybe too much. Some of that stuff is supposed to be really hard to come by.

Yeah, I’m not talking large amounts, and I’m not talking all at once. So it’d be:

2-3 Obsidian Shards (which would currently cost 6300 Karma) OR A Mystic Clover (Random Chance) OR 2-3 Ecto’s.

I wouldn’t see this as a massive amount, since, at the moment, you need a MINIMUM of (and this is if you’re lucky):

330 Obsidian Shards and Ectoplasms, 250 of every T6 material, 100 Icy Runestones, 77 Mystic Clovers, not to mention Lodestones, Rare Ore and Wood. I don’t feel these would in any way make getting Legendaries easy (since the time investment into this daily task would need to be substantial in order to make the rewards worth it.), but it does give players an alternative.

Since the whole point of this idea is to draw people FROM Orr, you need rewards that seem worth it. In this case, there are rewards, or the potential for rewards, for the majority of players: Collectors of Skins and Mini’s, People who need Karma, People working towards their Legendaries.

It was this I was basing my idea for the rewards around

Another idea is that Ameranth slowly moves through each zone, one zone per day. Needs protection, or supplies, gathering souvenirs and etc. Stops by the outposts in the area to rest. Actually traversing Tyria over the course of the month.

I’d say I’d like the idea of having an event revolving around her (gathering supplies, helping her to set up camp ect), as well as her roaming.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

/totally agree

also, anything that helps making a Legendary a bit more different (in terms of you can do it this way or this way or this way or mix some ways up) is great

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

/totally agree

also, anything that helps making a Legendary a bit more different (in terms of you can do it this way or this way or this way or mix some ways up) is great

Out of curiosity, how far back did you have to go to find this suggestion?

And yeah, the main idea behind it was to encourage people to visit previous zones, without feeling they were losing out on Karma gain, Coin gain ect.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: acedragonz.9387

acedragonz.9387

I really enjoy this idea.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

This would be really nice. I enjoyed Nick and Yakkington in Pre- and Post-Searing GW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Keir Bhaltair.5197

Keir Bhaltair.5197

I agree that the game badly needs a replacement for Nicholas and this could very well work (although I’d say that up to 3 ectos a day might be a bit too generous).
I would however stick to the weekly timeframe, which gives a bigger chance for those that can’t play every day to complete them.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

I agree that the game badly needs a replacement for Nicholas and this could very well work (although I’d say that up to 3 ectos a day might be a bit too generous).
I would however stick to the weekly timeframe, which gives a bigger chance for those that can’t play every day to complete them.

Hmmm…maybe 3 is a bit too much. It was just a placeholder number at any rate. 1 would probably be more appropriate.

Looks like I didn’t edit this suggestion, but somewhere else where I was shamelessly plugging myself, I suggested that she stays in a zone for a week, but travels around that zone, changing places each day. And yeah, maybe keep the item requirements the same for that zone, until they change zones.

She’d most likely be found at PoI, since she’s curious to learn about the world.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.