Make Dungeon Cutscenes Player Specific

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZetaStriker.9142

ZetaStriker.9142

There’s nothing worse than going into a story mode dungeon – especially one involving my racial representative in Destiny’s Edge – only to have another player’s character steal all the dialogue in cutscenes. I was desperate for my character to speak to Zojja in Caudecus’ Manor, for instance, and was instead forced to watch a boring looking human with poor color choices do all the talking instead. The story should be my story, and if I watch a cutscene I want my character to be the one speaking in it. It ruins my immersion when that’s not the case.

My suggestion, then, is that for each of the five party members in a dungeon, each one will see their own character when watching the cutscenes. I’m sure the story doesn’t change drastically, but this will do a lot to add a personal touch to thing and help keep immersion players involved during the proceedings.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

It’d be a nice touch for sure, but I assume it’s the party leader who appears in the cut scenes like GW1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ryld.1340

Ryld.1340

It’d be a nice touch for sure, but I assume it’s the party leader who appears in the cut scenes like GW1.

It’s whoever entered the dungeon first.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sjach Darasv.3729

Sjach Darasv.3729

It’s whoever entered the dungeon first.

Not quite, it’s whoever talks to the npc to start the dungeon.

~Lone Shadow~

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

GW1 was annoying in that regard. The leader was the hero, and you were a side-kick trash mob, just like a disposable henchmen.

I’m kinda shocked it carried over into GW2. I assumed it would be “our” story. Not watching “their” story.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alviss.1256

Alviss.1256

meh. it makes sense the way it is.

when its your personal story instance, you are the group leader, and your friends are following you, and you are the one to talk to the npcs because its your mission.

likewise, its the person who interacts with the instance/npc in the dungeon who gets the dialogue.

the dungeon is less specific on the interaction tho, so adding a feature where it mixes up who replies to the npcs would be cool, i think diablo did this. of course those events were shorter, and probably still was the first person to step up to trigger it who got to speak.

if you changed it to be that the player only saw their player talking, it wouldn’t make sense. i wouldn’t feel we as a group were playing the dugeon, cause i’d know that the cut scenes were individualized per player, it’d be like we WEREN’T doing the dungeon together.

you want to create the effect that even in the cut scenes you and the group are present, not that you are playing a single player game. what’s being suggested by the original poster breaks that perception and has just as negative effect/ if not worse a feel to the player as that of making them feel “they aren’t the hero” by not seeing their toon.

Dungeons should be about the group effort, a band of heros uniting to take down a difficult task. If we truly wanted it to be better, the solution would be to have multiple heros talking during the cut scenes.

of course then we’d have the issue that the players all had the same voice :p … but thats a different topic :x

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZetaStriker.9142

ZetaStriker.9142

Alviss, I don’t understand what you’re saying. I get you suggestion – that might be a valid point as well, especially if it favored, say, Asura responding to Zojja, humans responding to Logan, etc. It’s not ideal for me, but I get it. What I don’t get is how changing it to my suggestion is any worse for you than the way it already is. As things currently stand it already is just one person talking alone in the dungeon, it’s just usually not me. I’m heavily invested in the character of Zojja, and according to my personal story she’s a friend of mine. Why shouldn’t I be upset that the game prevents me from speaking to her unless I rush the NPC or something?