Make addons available

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Hi, before replying, please make sure you’ve read THE WHOLE post and not only the word “addons” thx.

See the original topic here : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/So-what-about-addons/first#post633127

To sum up, the idea is to make addons available, but not with a total liberty. I think everybody agrees that granting unlimited access would ruin the game : we don’t need recount things or Big Wigs like, that would suck.
However, the idea is giving limited access for addons, to create purely UI ones for instance, and others such as ability to save builds/skills/stuff.
What do you think ?
I guess, regarding the number of topics here, it is useless to hope for Anet staff but we never know …

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

Addons are nice but it certain games it is more of a hassle. especialy if you are in a guild, and they say you can not participate in this run until you download this addon.

So Add ons do have a tendecy of taking over games. The devs of anygame probaly worked there butts off to get in the game design industry. They don’t need all there hard work spoiled by a few others that are just smart and design a program to make things easier. With limit to no experience in the gaming industry.

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

agree with drifter, and yes EVEN ui addons, can create obsene “you need this to run that” ideas… in fact then can sometimes be the biggest on the list of required addon’s

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

I think we have pretty much established that addons are not too good an idea already. Just encourages elitism and snobbines.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I just want to add that to my understanding The devs decide what a game looks like since it is their property. You have a license to use it, or if you do not like it, not use it. If you like the game, except how the UI looks. I sincerely doubt anyone will honestly say " Everything about the game is great, but I dislike that I cannot customize my UI with an addon..so uninstalling."

I can understand the appeal of third party add-ons since there is another game that openly embraces the concept of add-ons etc… But to borrow just ONE add on from that game as an example… GearScore.

The worst thing in my opinion to happen to WoW was GearScore. It got to where no one that did not gear up above a defined amount was welcomed by some groups to do certain dungeons. Even though the game said " your iLevel is good enough." the groups wanted to be so overgeared that they would examine you. And if your score was not as high as they wanted you’d get kicked.

TL;DR sorry. To finish. Devs decide how the game looks. Devs decide what features we should have. It is their property. We should leave it as is. For me… since it is their content they should be the ones to decide how it is presented, and experienced.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cichard.6108

Cichard.6108

for me its more about saving weapon sets and gear sets i play a guardian i want to be able to switch to a new build and my armor sets by pressing 1 button. I dont mind paying the respec fee first. Go unlearn my traits then press a button to load a saved build. Or to switch armor from one saved set to another. and to be able to scale my buttons or move the quest log. if you dont want addons add in something like rift has. it has a very good default ui customization.

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: DavidGX.1723

DavidGX.1723

Addons were an interesting idea in WoW, but absolutely horrendous in execution. They enabled FAR too much (recount, gearscore, map enhancements, quest trackers, DBM, etc) that ended up being flat out cheating or detrimental to the game. I’d quit the game if they did something like that here.

I’d much rather see them implement new features as being built into the UI, not by allowing addons. If you want something in the UI that isn’t there, you should probably suggest it.

(edited by DavidGX.1723)

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

I don’t get the point. How on hell could there be “discrimination” over UI addons ? It’s all about esthetic. Do you really think that guilds or people will say “lol you have ugly UI, I’m not accepting you”.
But as said above, it’s not especially that, it’s more about saving builds/skills/stuff, which is even not considered yet by Anet, so there will be none before months …

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I’m sure Anet is working on a Build saving UI element. They had one in GW so would not be hard for them to do one for GW2. They also gave us the ability to move UI elements around in GW such as where the map is and moving the weapon selection box. I’m sure it is something that they are considering/working on, but there are still bugs and other stuff that will take precedence over them.

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hateborne.7942

Hateborne.7942

I don’t get the point. How on hell could there be “discrimination” over UI addons ? It’s all about esthetic. Do you really think that guilds or people will say “lol you have ugly UI, I’m not accepting you”.
But as said above, it’s not especially that, it’s more about saving builds/skills/stuff, which is even not considered yet by Anet, so there will be none before months …

What UI addons could you meaningfully create then? Everquest had UI mods (as all the UI files were simple files that could be overwritten or edited). Other than changing the look of the UI, there is absolutely no reason for an addon policy.

Programmatically, creating/maintaining API is hell. It’s constantly an uphill battle to ensure that the API is up to date. When they do update API, stuff from outdated or abandoned addons flip out (which cause problems for players, which cause the foolish ones to blow up support tickets/lines). When they remove or redesign API, addons made be made obsolete (which causes forum QQ).

If something simple like UI texturing or resizing/replace fonts is being requested, I would say that it might not be so bad. Anything above and beyond that, absolutely not.

OH YES: Please fix the font UI scaling when the UI is set to Small. On 1920×1200, my font gets unreadably small and awkward looking.

-Hate

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’d have nothing against this as long as there’s nothing to do with combat or encourage elitism, since the whole point of GW2 combat is to look at the battle, not the UI.

A parser that only shows your data and is only available in The Mists PvP lobby I’d consider acceptable (for theorycrafting), although an in-game function would be better for everyone.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Make addons available

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

Given that the gamimg community is getting older (there are polls proving that GW2 has a large number of older users) AN had to be aware of this issue from the get go. And given how important the UI is to interacting with the game, I don’t possibly see how a static UI could be an oversight.

And for the record, I used to be a game tester and I am currently a Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer, so I have a bit of knowledge in this area.

Brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard