Making newer members of your team familiar with all of Guild Wars 1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olithia.4635

Olithia.4635

My suggestion is this, that way we won’t have super Euro inspired Kryta which was not like this, and european looking Elonans like Zamon, like the sister that you hail from Elona with. It would be nice if the entire team knew the series in and out and there was actually someone making them stick to what was established in the first series.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cinder.4865

Cinder.4865

It’s been 250 years since the events of GW1. Territories have waned and expanded, cultures have thrived and evolved, the races of men have spread and interbred, people are born in one city and migrate to another, etc. You seem to be stuck on what was. You need to look to what is and will be.

I understand that you see this as a failing of the creative design team and an inconsistency with the lore, but I would wager it isn’t. Stories and lore change, and one has to accept this.

in Suggestions

Olithia.4635

1. Not at all, I am sticking actually to what is there already. The Divnity’s Reach tour guide tells you that there was a large migration of Elonan refugees from Elona due to Palawa Joko’s ravages. That means there are people still alive who are from Elona, fifty years is not enough time to dilute the looks of a people.

2. Kryta is the home country, since when does a minority group have enough influence to make the majority’ s people look like they do? Please give examples of anytime this has happened in history. If a smaller group mixes into a darker group then they should turn out to look more like them and not the other way around, not to mention I am sure that not every Krytan married every Ascalonian.

3. The Ascalon bits of lore are quite accurate, Ebonhawke is exactly as one would imagine with its peoples, but the same is not so with Kryta nor alot of its lands. Its formerly sub tropical environment along with certain areas that the Krytan nobility of hail from, has this all been washed away? Are we saying that Kryta’s past does not matter anymore? Queen Jenna looks like how she is supposed to, she is indicative of her peoples past, but to one not familiar with the lore she looks like a minority in her own country.

I look to it as an indicator of a team not familiar with the lore of the first game. Do I expect there to be changes? Absolutely, but when I am told that Ministers (and this happens in the opening cinematic) are representative of their districts, and when I am also told that there was a mass exodus by Elonans fifty years ago- which means many elders who made that passage as a child or teen can still be alive now. It also means that in Elona’s oftentimes Elder driven culture that one of these people would more than likely have been the better choice of Minister. Could there be mixed children or those many generations removed like Zamon? Of course, but it doesn’t make sense in the area where you have people who are from the home country still alive and posess all the knowlege and memories of the home country- One that is still occupied by supernatural forces. Sounds like the makings for a very militant group perhaps even some focused on going back home and liberating their homelands because the wounds are still fresh in the mind of those that experienced them. Its one thing to tell stories of the xenophobia in Cantha that are passed down through generations as opposed to having family members who can tell you what it was like seeing fallen Sunspears with their own eyes. Familiarity with the lore would have rectified alot of this and also could have pushed forth other story possibilities making each district feel as vital to the overall storyline instead of writing a story just because you can.

Yes, I do find it to be a failing because it limits possibilities, it also contradicts even the importance of having an Ossan Quarter in the first place. Many of us who loved Nightfall were let down by having the people who are supposed to be from Elona not representative of what the Elonans looked like, and if that is the case then why put the option of me and my sister being from Elona at all? Would that even matter if she is going to look Ascalonian?

(edited by Olithia.4635)

in Suggestions

Olithia.4635

I will just say that if Anet says “Hey this is what Elonans are like now” I can accept that wholeheartedly, that honesty would be appreciated, and the lone reason I bought the game will not be there anymore and I can go about my merry way and wait on the Redguard in TESO.

in Suggestions

Olithia.4635

Its also quite interesting that the peoples who have been removed from their home for much longer- the Canthans, when you pick that choice for your sister, she looks- Canthan.

I would think that they would be much more mixed than the Elonans by now, especially since they are fewer in number and they have not been in contact with Cantha for a much longer time.

in Suggestions

Olithia.4635

I also remember hearing that there was a group of descendants from the Ossan Quarter who were talking about retaking Elona, where are these npcs?