More weapons ( skillsets get boring)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

I might have picked a bad name for the topic, but that is seriously the summarized thout behind it.

First of all i must say i am not bored of the game itself or anything, but i had a big frustration of selecting a class, becouse “my so beloved nekromancer” is a totally other kind of character it supposed to be.

And that comes from some points of resons :

1, Characters have only a few weapon choices and that limits NOT ONLY there skillsets, but the style you can and must play.
Lets take Warrior, what if oyu would like to play him more as a tipical “polarm” aoe master, instead of a 2h sword or Maul user. Or just want a polarm in your hand for cosmetic?
(wont matter) You dont have the option, trough its a tipical common weapon that can be found anywhere.

2, I agree a polarm cant be a “skin” for other weapons since it would look lame if you swing it like a sword.
I also admit, making a full set of skills for each weapon added (and for all chars like 2-3 min) would be a LOT of work to balance and animate and all, BUT i must also add :
-You dont actualyl have to make a full new set of skills for them, just rename them and make new animations. Like you do for the most of your skills.
-A LOT of skills are the same as other classes have, you basically just rewamped the animation and the name, you could do the same for the new weapons, so they dont throw over balance.

3, I also agree that some new skills must be added atleast, becouse some palyers dislike some “weapon” play styles and need to have MORE OPTIONS, how to play there character. No matter how you trait, or set up your utility in the end you do almsot the same still.
- This was the whole reson i quit the Nekromancer to. I understand all chars “use” the weapons they hold for skills, but Nekromancer is a caster first of all, does not mean it has to run in and stab ppl. (Ele is not dooing it, that was a nice design, even lightning whip is a better idea)
- I understand you dont want to remake Nekromancer to be more “caster” ish, but a lot of palyers hate the caster ish staff to, becouse all it does is put marks on floor, instead of the “kitten evil spells” they play the character for.
But giving a bit bigger array of options to pick your style of play would mean a LOT to all those players.

I really hope even if not now later on in the game we do get more weapons for all classes, to expand the game styles.
If someone read my other posts on other topics knows i am not moaning, just pointing out things i found worthy to mention or point out.
And first of all this is my opinion, a bit of objective but also personal to as it must be.

Exuse my bad English and misspellings ( my keyboard is abit broken to right now)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Yep,was kinda dissapointed with the necromancers skill choices for equipped weapons.Even with weapon swap I wasnt satisfied.I can’t put down the curse I want when I want because my WS is on cooldown or some other reason.

I did feel kinda pidgeon holed with the necro because the skills I wanted to use belonged to weapons that aren’;t in my current weapon sets menu.

And to top it off,I cant stand the necro pets as they are.Mostly the cooldowns after destroying them,compared to the benefit they give when sacrificing them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Arenanet will probably add two-handed Axes eventually. Maybe in an expansion.
I forgot where this was mentioned, but they’d definitely have their own skills.

I’m also hoping for Scythes as melee weapons, but since Staff for Necro already gets a Scythe blade effect maybe it won’t happen.
Also there’s a Staff called “Gargoyle Scythe” or something like that.

Adding completely new weapon types and giving them old skills just makes things confusing when you want to add new weapons in expansions.

Also Necromancer can already use every Caster type weapon in the game so I dunno what that’s about.
Scepter and Staff are probably the two best weapons for Necro right now, with Dagger being alright and Axe being sort of meh.

Benight[Edge]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vangy.7403

Vangy.7403

my favorite spell “siphon life” is at dagger which its auto attack is in melee range.. that took all the fun out of necro…ofc the fragile minnions that i can’t command them where and when to attack or when i want them to stop attacking…

in Suggestions

Nekroseth.5186

I was poiting out that even trough Nekro can use all caster weapons his skills are not very “caster” ish.

I totalyl agree with Temper in all ways. (also found the minions dissapointing to)

And i do hope LastDay is right and we do get more weapons.
The scythe is a must have in my opinion. They will add dervish, or scythe atleast. In anycase they know players loved it and will bring it back in some way.

“Adding completely new weapon types and giving them old skills just makes things confusing when you want to add new weapons in expansions.”

And yes i agree, they should make new weapons with new skillsets instead of just “reskinning” them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BubbleTea.5806

BubbleTea.5806

I think it’s fine that they are limiting certain skills to certain weapon sets. However, there needs to be some flexibility in that weapon set as well. Such as giving you a set number of let’s say 10 skills to choose from for that particular weapon set you are using and choose 3 skills for main hand to use and another 10 skills to choose from for that 2 skills for off-hand to use. Currently everyone is just using the same weapons and same skills which is a significant downgrade from what the skill system in GW1 used to use: Creativity. I know that means ArenaNet will have to come up with more available skills, but the current skill system is very uninspiring and repetitive.

in Suggestions

Nekroseth.5186

I also heart this idea alredy.
Having 2-3 skills that you can switch is fine (10 is way to moch). But giving more weapons would fix the skill flexibility.

For “creative skill setup” i can halfly agree.

-Take the idea of putting points on toughness and putting in utility for melee combat as Ele, and use a Lightning hammer. (its the same as making a lightning hammer build in gw1) You must develop your whole char into that build (just like in gw1) Traits,stats on gear, skills. Everithing excluding the weapon skills ofc, since you will use a skill to change it. Witch is not a bad idea since you can have your original weapon skills and support in range (trough not so powerfully like if you spec for that) and can even go melee.

-BUT i must also add, not all characters have an abaility that lets them use a “special weapon” (like Eles can) Thats exacly why they need more weapons! So they can make more “builds”.

-So i agree on that : we need more skills (or weapons that give more skills) so we can start making “crative” builds. And chars wont all be the same.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Roman Legionary.6715

Roman Legionary.6715

There be some truth in this post

in Suggestions

Posted by: CharrabungaDude.3971

CharrabungaDude.3971

…Currently everyone is just using the same weapons and same skills which is a significant downgrade from what the skill system in GW1 used to use: Creativity. I know that means ArenaNet will have to come up with more available skills, but the current skill system is very uninspiring and repetitive.

BubbleTea, I like what you said there. You are on to something there. WHY do the skills have to be different when they’re used as the off-hand weapon? And then, WHY do we get NO CHOICE on those 2 skills? (even though we know there are 5 skills created for that weapon as a main.) Isn’t it bad enough that we only get 2 skills for that oh weapon? I think so.
Don’t get me wrong. I do think it’s cool that they made new skills for the oh version skills, BUT at the same time, (more) choices = play how you want, and playing how you want = more fun. So I say Anet should AT LEAST do that; make those changes, since it wouldn’t be that hard to do. The skills are already there.

I’d give us a ten for style. An eight for skill. And a two for stealth.

(edited by CharrabungaDude.3971)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I like how all the longbow and shortbow skills; regardless of profession, all came from the same class in Guild Wars. They are all old GW1 Ranger skills. I’d love be able to switch out some of my Ranger’s LB skills for some of the Warrior’s LB skills. Actually, I’d love to use my old GW Ranger build but the Warrior now has half those skills and not the Ranger.