My suggestion: implementing some "relaxing" activities

in Suggestions

Posted by: Penence.1546

Penence.1546

does anyone think there should be like things to do while afking like fishing or anything? honestly to go somewhere and be able to fish actively would be a great way to spend some time and maybe have the fish used for cooking and sometimes get a bag or box like all other gathering skills. just an idea. yes i know the punctuation is terrible but its 1:30am and im tired lol.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tureilim.5209

Tureilim.5209

AFK anything = Bad. No. No. No. No. No, God no.

Don’t you even dare.

Who am I to bridle if I’m forced to be an idol?
If they say that I’m a God, THAT’S WHAT I AM!

in Suggestions

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

No game should reward a player for standing still.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tureilim.5209

Tureilim.5209

No game should reward a player for standing still.

THIS. This man is wise!

Who am I to bridle if I’m forced to be an idol?
If they say that I’m a God, THAT’S WHAT I AM!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

You get kicked out if you don’t do anything for a certain amount of time. I don’t know how long it is, but I’m assuming an hour.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BananaMatrix.3702

BananaMatrix.3702

Nooo, nooo, not at all! That sounds insanely boring! Honestly, I wish they would add fishing, but I’d rather it be an interesting little mini-game with fun rewards! Not some glorified facebook game >.>

in Suggestions

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

Honestly, I wish they would add fishing, but I’d rather it be an interesting little mini-game with fun rewards!

That could be fun

I imagined a scenario where you stand on the shore where you can fish, with an asura high tech fishing machine. And you need to input with what bait do you fish, how thick the thread is etc. And if you make a bad combination for example, then a hostile barracuda could pull you underwater and initiate a fight
Or you could pull out a skale or river drake.

in Suggestions

Posted by: BananaMatrix.3702

BananaMatrix.3702

Honestly, I wish they would add fishing, but I’d rather it be an interesting little mini-game with fun rewards!

That could be fun

I imagined a scenario where you stand on the shore where you can fish, with an asura high tech fishing machine. And you need to input with what bait do you fish, how thick the thread is etc. And if you make a bad combination for example, then a hostile barracuda could pull you underwater and initiate a fight
Or you could pull out a skale or river drake.

Haha, sounds neat! Fishing up random enemies might be fun, that should be a reasonably rare occurrence though. One of the things I miss about WoW is fishing away somewhere while listening to a podcast!

It’d be great if you had a chance to fish up crafting mats, maybe even pieces of equipment or lore related trinkets/scrolls/books!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Penence.1546

Penence.1546

yeh i didnt mean afking like over night i just meant it as like say a different gathering style. and yeh it would be cool to have like a mini game but i think it should be interactive to where you cant have 5k bait and everything else and just set and do it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zefram.8945

Zefram.8945

The autokick system is good, you should remain active while playing the game.
(shure there are ppl useing scripts to avoid this, but this is a other story).

But if you go afk just for a while (refreshing, gettn something to eat, or fodle the cat :-)
it would be nice to have some sort of “afk” ability to actually show youre status as animation or emote or whatever.

(yea i know, i can sleep, sit, kneel and stuff..)

But it is very true, that the game should not reward a player for beeing afk.

Truth is the average of all points of view.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Ceder Of Tyria.5079

There might come afk stuff later. GW1 had it on and off, so I can’t see why not. But fishing? I do expect ANet to have more imagination and fantasy than that, they did in GW1. GW1 also didn’t kick ppl for being afk, witch is a good thing for rpg’ers.

Legacy Of [MARA] & Scions Of [MARA] ~Gunnar’ Hold Descendants Of [MARA] ~Yak’s Bend
www.gwmara.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

So, you basically ask for the much sought after crafting materials as a reward for not being at your computer. Hm, I think that allready was my reply. Here is an idea for an afk-activity: log off and use your computer to listen to a podcast or something while you do stuff around the house.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhyalus.3978

Rhyalus.3978

I think that the OP question is not what we want, but there is an issue with no AFK possibility…

Logging out is not cool on a busy night where you get put back into a queue when returning.

Maybe some invisible glowing barrier somewhere where you can’t be harmed, etc. for some max period…. :-)

R

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I think one of the main reasons GW1 let you afk for so long was that it was a necessity for a very long time if you wanted to reach level 20 in pre-searing to get the Legendary Defender of Ascalon title. You had to death -level. And that itself was such a long and tedious process that most players left it running overnight while they slept, so they could wake up in the morning and kill off a few monsters for a little xp. They have added in some daily quests since then to help with leveling in pre-searing Ascalon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

I think some people are taking AFK too literally, he means (I think) while idling around but still at your keyboard. On WoW if you don’t feel like doing much it’s quite relaxing to just do some fishing. You have to press a button to cast the fishing line and then click when you see the bobber move. You get fish to use in your cooking recipes and sometimes a little box of junk.

It would be a nice addition IMO, especially with the gorgeous waterside locations in this game.

(edited by Kana.6793)

in Suggestions

Posted by: EyeSeeSound.1348

EyeSeeSound.1348

Isn’t fishing in an MMO just like playing FarmVille? Surely if you are bored with being a hero you can log off and go and play FarmVille.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PainOfDemise.1680

PainOfDemise.1680

Hrm, having something done while afk?… sounds a whole lot like botting to me.

Rhynon Jarvick
Leader of Dastardly Deeds
http://dastardlydeeds.enjin.com/

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Um OP, maybe you should edit your post to remove the word AFK. People are taking it literally.

He means something to do when you don’t feel like doing hearts or events etc. The time you spend running in circles in Lion’s Arch or /dancing on some random rock.

He doesn’t mean something done automatically for him while he’s physically away from his keyboard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CC Charles.3675

CC Charles.3675

Community Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

First of all I moved this thread to the appropriate subforum.

I also edited the title to something that -I hope- will fit more to what Penence suggested.

Please stay constructive and respectful on this topic.

Thank you!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wormfodder.2051

Wormfodder.2051

We do need more fluff and fun activities. While I do love this game, running from heart to heart tends to get tedious. There should be more than fetch rabbits and save the world activities imo. I loved in LoTRO where I could smoke a pipe and fish during my down time.

Whether the glass is half empty or half full, there is still only half there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

mmmm I think it was Aion or so where the player could actually set up its own shop for some time. And I don’t think that was very bad idea.
It would at least solve some backdraw of the trading post. Most stuff will hardly sell there, since nobody is actually actively looking for that one specific object (and thus will never be noted).

Some thought provoking quote

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grizzly.9713

Grizzly.9713

Fishing. Every MMORPG should have fishing. Loved fishing in WoW… err back at release, anyway; not sure if it has changed much as I haven’t played for years.

in Suggestions

Posted by: raphaeldisanto.5478

raphaeldisanto.5478

Vanguard’s fishing was fun. Although not very relaxing, haha.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

More leisurely activities like fishing would be cool, especially if you’re a cook. However, if you’re AFK for longer than the time it takes to take a decent poop, then please just log off.

Taking up server space and resources while you’re not even playing does nothing for the other players, the life of your GPU, or your mental state.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lorati.7361

Lorati.7361

mmmm I think it was Aion or so where the player could actually set up its own shop for some time. And I don’t think that was very bad idea.
It would at least solve some backdraw of the trading post. Most stuff will hardly sell there, since nobody is actually actively looking for that one specific object (and thus will never be noted).

Games that implemented these just ended up with dozens upon dozens of people AFK in the middle of congregation points with little popups over their heads.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

Games that implemented these just ended up with dozens upon dozens of people AFK in the middle of congregation points with little popups over their heads.

That’s why I was a bit hesitant to suggest it. (beside the fact that some people will just ask crazy & silly prices for their goods)

Some thought provoking quote

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

• Human fishing with a fishing rod
  • Asura fishing with a fighing golem MK2000
  • Charr fishing with sticks of dynamite or a Charrzooka
  • Norn bear-fishing with their bare hands
  • Sylvari sitting at the edge of the pond, gently asking for fish to jump in their baskets

Seriously though, I’d love to have more leisure activities like fishing in this game. Besides, in the game we already see npc’s fishing; so why can’t we?

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Suggestions

Posted by: wakko.5248

wakko.5248

Minipet tournaments?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kristov.6724

Kristov.6724

I don’t think Penence actually meant, “AFK” when he said:

does anyone think there should be like things to do while afking like fishing or anything?

because the next sentence had this:

does anyone think there should be like things to do while afking like fishing or anything? honestly to go somewhere and be able to fish actively

and fishing actively while AFK would not be possible. I think Penence just meant a lower stress activity, where death isn’t an option but failure certainly was. I could be wrong, but Penence can correct me later if so.

I’d love to have some mini-game activities to participate in, so long as they’re well done and require active and attentive participation.

Clicking one key to cast, and clicking it again to reel in over and over wouldn’t be that great.

Having to discover what fish were available in different zones at different times of the day in different seasons, what type of bait they were attracted to, and using different skills on a skill bar to tire each type of fish without exceeding the equipped rod’s line strength might be more interesting.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Basen.8506

Basen.8506

FISHING! If they add this you will see me doing nothing else but that, also if they could add portable crafting stations, I play FFXIV and you could have a small furnace with you and bake the fish, you could have a small anvil and a hammer and do blacksmithing, or make crafting stations in the small camps around the map.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valcruze.8176

Valcruze.8176

I got a really odd idea which involves playing “shiny” frisbee with skritts. Not sure anyone wants me to elaborate further.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

I’m always in favor of having as wide a variety of activities as possible. I’m enjoying the action-heavy combat compared to older, slower paced MMOs, but I’ve always felt that MMOs with a lot of the fluff on the side (mini-games, player housing/decorating, social activities, holiday events) make for more compelling “worlds” to be a part of long-term.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Melphina.9035

Melphina.9035

I remember hearing there were going to be mini games in the human cites. If they are there i havent found them. Im also wating for the Eternal Bar Battle!

Melphina Kobe ~ Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

I don’t want to see anything that rewards players for going AFK. I would, however, love to see some sort of fishing or instrumental orientated activity implemented that could be done near water and in taverns respectively.

More mini-games wouldn’t hurt. I suspect we’ve a fair few on the way judging by how NPC’s in Divinity’s Reach mention two different mini-games that currently cannot be accessed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

mmmm I think it was [Insert Any Asian MMO Here] or so where the player could actually set up its own shop for some time. And I don’t think that was very bad idea.

Bolded words in quote have been changed for accuracy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astaldo.3081

Astaldo.3081

Fishing, interactive (cogwheels) beds, chairs, mugs etc.. and darts !!

Edit: And portable campsites (with mini crafting stations) would be awesome !

(edited by Astaldo.3081)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daily.5381

Daily.5381

We’re not talking about botting. Not even close.

The game needs mini activities so if you are doing something else that takes some of your concentration or presence from being in game, you can still interact in game to a point.

If you’re waiting on friends, if you’re reading a magazine, if you have a needy pet for a few minutes, etc.

Fishing would be a wonderful thing to have. Throwing your line out and catching a few things then finishing up a few pages of book or while something’s on commercial and having that flexibility is not something negative.

We need more things like that in this game.
If it’s not your thing then you shouldn’t really care.
Many people like things like this.

I have to stop drinking milkshakes.
I hate all those boys in my yard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daily.5381

Daily.5381

• Human fishing with a fishing rod
  • Asura fishing with a fighing golem MK2000
  • Charr fishing with sticks of dynamite or a Charrzooka
  • Norn bear-fishing with their bare hands
  • Sylvari sitting at the edge of the pond, gently asking for fish to jump in their baskets

Seriously though, I’d love to have more leisure activities like fishing in this game. Besides, in the game we already see npc’s fishing; so why can’t we?

I nearly shot fruit punch out of my nose.
I love sylvari.

Or, the sylvari’s job can be to chase down fish buckets and dump them back to freedom! Anti-fishing! Vegans unite!

I have to stop drinking milkshakes.
I hate all those boys in my yard.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I won’t mind extra activities and things you can do that require less attention, to do them while chatting with friends or something.

As long as there’s nothing you can do AFK.

Fishing like some games have is out of the question, but something like Torchlights, as a mini-game would be nice.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

Well, considering that I’ve only found about… mmmmm… zero places in this game outside the cities where you can “take a break”, meaning just stop running/killing for a few minutes, they’d have to put in special locations for these activities.

But yes, I think there needs to be a LOT more diversity of activity (and MOB TYPES!!!!) in the game, and I suspect it will come with time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aefion.8719

Aefion.8719

I want the ability to be able to sit on a chair properly. I mean seriously, you should be able to go to a tavern and SIT around a table and have some drinks with your friends. And I mean sit properly, not try and move your character into the right position on top of a chair and hope it looks right when you type the /sit emote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeson Thackery.5927

Aeson Thackery.5927

YES, please do, I spent hours and hours on similar things in SWG, like decorating my house, fishing, setting up harvesters, and playing around with the storyteller. Loooved that feature.

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

I’m always in favor of having as wide a variety of activities as possible. I’m enjoying the action-heavy combat compared to older, slower paced MMOs, but I’ve always felt that MMOs with a lot of the fluff on the side (mini-games, player housing/decorating, social activities, holiday events) make for more compelling “worlds” to be a part of long-term.

And this, in depth non-combat activities do increase a games life by ten fold.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Fishing does have kind of a lazy zen feel to it. I wouldn’t mind it added into the game just for fun.

I’m patiently waiting for Polymock… even though I’m not any good at it.

in Suggestions

Aeson Thackery.5927

Fishing does have kind of a lazy zen feel to it. I wouldn’t mind it added into the game just for fun.

I’m patiently waiting for Polymock… even though I’m not any good at it.

Polymock..?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chipp.7904

Chipp.7904

Fishing would be awesome!