NEW reason for weapon swap/slot for Elem/Eng

in Suggestions

Posted by: UUCyberSteve.3951

UUCyberSteve.3951

One minor thing I thought to be unfair is that the Elementalist and Engineer don’t have a weapon swap slot(s). Not because of the lack of a second weapon in combat, but because the second weapon slots are a literal 1-2 FREE inventory slots on all the other professions, on top of being used in combat.

So on the logic, why not just give these two professions the slot set (with same weapon restrictions, ie 1 2H or 2 1H weapons) in the character’s inventory? And, alternatively, actually ALLOW weapon swapping, but ONLY out of combat and if necessary with a longer cool down timer. That could help with utility skill use or for even RP purposes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Why in the world would someone use their swap slots as inventory space? You cut your combat effectiveness dramatically and gain two slots that can only be filled by a few specific weapons per class. Poor tradeoff from my perspective.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: UUCyberSteve.3951

UUCyberSteve.3951

Sounds like you’ve never played either profession. Those two profs do NOT have swap slots, there is nothing being lost only gained, that’s why I suggested that they add them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

My main is an engi. I’m saying that no one in their right mind is using their swap slots as extra inventory space. Eles and engies are not hurt because we don’t have two extra inventory slots.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

The argument over a miniscule two inventory slots is moot. Instead the major focus should be that gameplay is kind of weaker on an Elementalist compared to a Mesmer or a Necromancer. Each of those can switch from a close-range based weapon to a long ranged staff mid-combat, which is very useful. However, an Elementalist cannot, which is very disfunctioning when going from a dagger+dagger field op to staff wall siege.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

1. Its not new, this has been mentioned since launch.

2. 1 slot being lost isn’t anything to complain about.

3. We have very limited weapon selection, which also means we aren’t paying as much as other proffessions, especially compared to those people that have multiple weapons of the same type with different stats for different builds. <— that right there, is very rarely brougth up and much more “new” compared to your complaint.

4. Yes it would be nice, and devs are looking into this and have been for awhile. So please, stop reposting what everyone has already said.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zero Angel.9715

Zero Angel.9715

As an engie, I always carry two pistols, a rifle and a shield. Whatever i’m using is equipped (so if I have the rifle equipped, the pistols and shield are in my inventory). I lose 2 or 3 inventory slots, its not like its the end of the world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

The ele by default has 20 skills for weapon skills do to attunements . If you added another set they would have 40 skills for weapons completely unbalancing the class.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Ok so … OP , did you really just sai ele/eng should have weapon swap … so they can carry 1+ item?

That was extreme , on a normal forum i would say it on … the terms it actually deserve.

Here i will just say that is ridiculous in my opinion. The amount of balancing it would require over 1 slot in a bag…

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

As an engie, I always carry two pistols, a rifle and a shield. Whatever i’m using is equipped (so if I have the rifle equipped, the pistols and shield are in my inventory). I lose 2 or 3 inventory slots, its not like its the end of the world.

Nice … on my guardian i carry all the weapons i can use at all times. I think i lose … 9/10 slots on my bags. Yeah … with weapon swap.

Wanna compare again?

Really , people should find good reasons at least for ask for stuff.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bahamadude.4925

Bahamadude.4925

This idea just for a space slot is funny. However, if this idea was added for convenience it would be better. the extra slot space is a pointless argument, but in the face of the fact that alot of the weapons have very similar icons, and you can pick up weapons from mobs, this would be a good idea.

Keep in mind that you can swap only OUT of combat. It’s annoying if you have several weapons and nearly full inventory when you want to change your weapon type. I’’m using a staff, then the uge to use daggers hits me, so after the fight the swap button unlocks and i can click it to get my daggers.

It’s nothing that’s really important, but it would be nice to have if only for a little bit of ease

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fievre.4510

Fievre.4510

It really depends how you think of that bonus to inventory space. While, sure, it’d be nice to have two extra spots, it’d be nicer to not keep losing my different weapons in my inventory when it gets cluttered. Especially if I’m in WvW where I’m switching between staff and something that can handle smaller group combat a bit better. Nothing is more fun than being stuck with my staff when I’m not with the zerg (or worse with just one weapon of a two-weapon set) because my inventory is a disaster.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

It really depends how you think of that bonus to inventory space. While, sure, it’d be nice to have two extra spots, it’d be nicer to not keep losing my different weapons in my inventory when it gets cluttered. Especially if I’m in WvW where I’m switching between staff and something that can handle smaller group combat a bit better. Nothing is more fun than being stuck with my staff when I’m not with the zerg (or worse with just one weapon of a two-weapon set) because my inventory is a disaster.

We have different types of bags for that reason. There’s a bag for equipment pieces, a bag for vendor trash, a bag that doesn’t show up at vendors and is ignored by autosort and bags for crafting material.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Space Monkey Pilot.7135

Space Monkey Pilot.7135

as an ele I would like to see a second weap slot. I like to sit back and light up enemies with a staff, but when I get rushed I would much rather be able to swap to my daggers, pick them off quickly, and launch right back into throwing some AoE. Having to run around like an idiot and kite the 1 or 2 guys that break off from the group is such a hassle. Let me have my daggs, take em out within the 10 secs and not run my dps into the ground. plz plz plz ANet
Even having to pay for training to unlock the 2nd set I would gladly settle with.

Edit: oh and btw weap swap for 1-2 extra slots?! stop being cheap and buy bigger bags.
2nd: swap “ONLY out of combat and if necessary with a longer cool down timer.” NO! … … no! Bad CyberSteve

(edited by Space Monkey Pilot.7135)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

so ele want to be able to have 20 skills and the ability to weapon swap to? Not greedy much are ya.

maybe if the trade off is u cant swap attunements while having 2 weapon configs, otherwise your just trying to make yourselves OP.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

so ele want to be able to have 20 skills and the ability to weapon swap to? Not greedy much are ya.

maybe if the trade off is u cant swap attunements while having 2 weapon configs, otherwise your just trying to make yourselves OP.

Thats not taking into account the utility skills either . Eles getting 40 skills would simply be ridiculous .

You might be able to make a case for the Engineer if it wasn’t for the fact the rifle sucks too much to be used outside of vistas and jumping puzzles

in Suggestions

Posted by: poisonedsodapop.9348

poisonedsodapop.9348

I’ve never gotten how it’s unfair. Yes they’d have 40 skills but they have to swap to every single attunement they want to use. Throwing in another weapon isn’t going to suddenly make them even more overpowered.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

I’ve never gotten how it’s unfair. Yes they’d have 40 skills but they have to swap to every single attunement they want to use. Throwing in another weapon isn’t going to suddenly make them even more overpowered.

Yes there is yoru simple answer

Ele’s get 20 skills in part to attuments + the 5 additional

Engineers get can have up to 20 skill also do to their equipment packages

every other class has 10 skills +5

the trade off for Ele’s and enginerr’s having 20 +5 is they have to switch between packages and attachments and have to pick one favored weapon and that is it.

Where 40+5 skills may not seem that Over powered in PvE, which it is to a degree, it is grossly over powered in PvP and WvWvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I can’t speak for Elementalists since I don’t play one, but as an Engineer, what if the kit was designed to be placed where the alternate weapon would go for other professions instead of occupying a Utility Skill slot? That means that extra Utility Skill slot is opened for other things like another Elixir, Turret, or other miscellaneous gadget.

That would mean:

• PROS: Engineers would get two additional skills: the utility skill that was freed up, and the toolbelt ability that went with it.
  • CONS: Engineers would be limited to only one weapon-replacing kit.
  • Also: May cause certain balancing issues since a new ability has been introduced.

I suppose that would require quite a bit of testing and possibly figuring out how the toolbelt ability associated with that kit would be integrated with this suggested change. A bigger toolbelt with an “F5” ability? Considering most keyboards I’ve used usually have gaps between F4 and F5, and F8 and F9, it might feel a bit uncomfortable. I suppose TAB would be a suitable shortcut key to activate the toolbelt skill for that weapon kit.

Attachments:

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zero Angel.9715

Zero Angel.9715

+1 to the idea in the post before this one, being able to attach sigils to kits would be very nice to have!

Another idea is this:
Hitting the ~ key while using your normal weapons would switch back to your last used kit

You might be able to make a case for the Engineer if it wasn’t for the fact the rifle sucks too much to be used outside of vistas and jumping puzzles

I disagree. I run a setup focused on grenadier (power), then firearms (crit) then elixirs (heals/vit) and while my primary kits are nades (for offense) and elixir gun (for aoe heals), the rifle makes a good tertiary weapon when running with glass cannons and fighting powerful foes (like Knights) that need to be net shotted or pushed away using overcharged shot.

Yes, vanilla rifle is not going to compete with nades on static target DPS, but its ability to stop and disrupt melee’ers comes in handy when your team otherwise lacks good tanks or other CC. Net shot is awesome for the Dredge fractal boss too.

(edited by Zero Angel.9715)

in Suggestions

Fievre.4510

We have different types of bags for that reason. There’s a bag for equipment pieces, a bag for vendor trash, a bag that doesn’t show up at vendors and is ignored by autosort and bags for crafting material.

True, assuming you don’t have other things in those bags. I shouldn’t have to completely reorganize my inventory if I want to do wvw instead of spvp (because yes, different spvp weaps are in my inventory even outside hotm) or dungeons.

I’m not wanting a second set to use in combat, just to hold a second set for a quick switch between mobs. Dunno why that’d be an issue.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Peacenote.1698

Peacenote.1698

I have an elementalist, a thief, and a ranger that I’ve spent significant time on.

It drives me crazy that I don’t have weapon swap on the elementalist, because I have staff and d/d, and obviously staff is better for support. When running around in the world, if I want to switch to staff if I suddenly run into a party that needs support, I have to run so far that I de-aggro before I can manually change weapons and run back.

I understand that a regular weapon swap would make elementalists OP. But one with a LARGE cooldown, to use in situations when you truly do want to switch gameplay styles, would really be nice.

And then to be able to use the button out of combat would be nice also. When you play multiple toons you get used to being able to switch.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Just throwing this out there, but if the cooldown was larger AND an activation time was placed on Weapon Swapping (1-5 seconds for swap, 30 second recharge to avoid manipulation) would you consider it less Op? Right now ele’s are really good in any players hand if you have the right set up, so this is probably pushing some builds way past OP.

in Suggestions

Fievre.4510

Just throwing this out there, but if the cooldown was larger AND an activation time was placed on Weapon Swapping (1-5 seconds for swap, 30 second recharge to avoid manipulation) would you consider it less Op? Right now ele’s are really good in any players hand if you have the right set up, so this is probably pushing some builds way past OP.

No. Maybe if this weren’t an MMO and just a single player game, because I don’t mind being OP there since you can just up the difficulty (unless OP is what you’re after) but seriously… Eles have 20 skills. They can switch to a different 20 in mid combat? No thanks lol. A clutch switch has a lot of potential to be REALLY stupid.

The whole point is acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses with any particular build. Each is built already to work as any classes’ two weapons would. There’s no reason to double it.

(edited by Fievre.4510)