Need to be able to restore hacked accounts

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jairlyn.1429

Jairlyn.1429

1: My account is fine. I am currently playing and enjoying the game.
2: I see more and more people posting of their accounts being hacked. Some guildies have had their accounts hacked and stuff sold or deleted. ANets response seems to be “sorry we can’t help you get your items back.”

I really find this puzzling and odd. No other online game that I am aware of has this stance. If it is true that ANet does not have the ability to recreate lost items then this needs to be added into the game and support process. There has to be logs of what items were on a particular character because when we log into the game the server has to pull up what to load up onto our characters so its not like people can lie about having lost legendaries.

I spend $10-$15 a month on gems. I love this game and have no problem giving Anet my money. However if I was hacked and just had to live with it? Yes I’d quit in a heartbeat. Currently there is no physical authenticator and I do not have a smartphone to buy the app.

Jairlyn: Guardian- Yak’s Bend

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

There is another way to use the app via your computer, but like me, that wont do either. I want a key chain authenticator, I don’t want to have to deal with issues, just push a button, get the code and type it in. SIMPLE!

But yeah, if I get hacked, that will be the end of GW2 for me. The fact that they don’t offer a key chain authenticator is the reason I haven’t spend a red cent on gems. No security for me, no money from me. Pretty simple stuff.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

There are enough TOTP hardware tokens, just not one “officially” from ANet. The one Blizzard uses for example is just a branded VASCO Digipass GO 6 (which should also work with GW in theory).
They even officially market it that way.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

So far 3 of my friends quit the game because they were hacked and got no roll back for their accounts.

Even though one is responsible for its own account safety, even banks have a policy to give you back the money if your credit card security had been compromised. If a bank is willing to give you back money when your credit card is hacked or stolen, I wonder why a video game won’t do something similar.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Suggestions

Nappychappy.7046

Yeah, I know as soon as my friends get hacked, and lose everything they will also quit. I will of course follow, because when they don’t play I find myself bored standing around in LA.

I don’t know why account restoration isn’t a feature built in and ready to go, absolutely baffled by this. Security in this day and age is a must, even though Anet doesn’t technically offer a service, as soon as one uses RMT they should have to protect the users, with either physical device, or electronic based. paid for/free options.

The key chain authenticator was a rumor, a popular rumor might I add, yet ANet doesn’t even offer it after release, not even after mass account hacks.

Incompetent.

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

Eh? See here plus my last post. Two-factor authentication has been ready to use for three weeks now.

in Suggestions

Nappychappy.7046

Eh? See here plus my last post. Two-factor authentication has been ready to use for three weeks now.

Officially is what we need, because if something goes wrong its “Oh, well we don’t support that kitteno” no thanks.

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

TOTP is specified in an RFC, at all works the same. This is more like “there’s an option but I don’t use it because I don’t like it but prefer to be hacked”. If ANet ever offers an authenticator, it’ll probably be just another branded GO 6. I’d try if it really works if I could just find mine. I don’t know if Blizzard removed the Multi OTP option from their one button devices, otherwise anybody actively using one could also use it for GW2.

in Suggestions

Nappychappy.7046

TOTP is specified in an RFC, at all works the same. This is more like “there’s an option but I don’t use it because I don’t like it but prefer to be hacked”. If ANet ever offers an authenticator, it’ll probably be just another branded GO 6. I’d try if it really works if I could just find mine. I don’t know if Blizzard removed the Multi OTP option from their one button devices, otherwise anybody actively using one could also use it for GW2.

If they offer it, they support it. If I have a problem while they don’t support it, I am SOL.

Should work is a pretty kitten answer.

in Suggestions

Iruwen.3164

They offer TOTP, so they support TOTP (once they make it official instead of beta). Which means any TOTP device is supported as TOTP is an IETF standard.