New Profession: The Bard

in Suggestions

Posted by: Demon Runner.5739

Demon Runner.5739

Now i know we are all in a stage of the game where bugs and balance is still being worked on including making a more dynamic ever changing world. So please don’t reply if you do saying that it’s not a priority etc… i know. It’s just a suggestion.

A great suggestion though in my mind as i believe this profession would fit so well into the lore and land of Tyria, i would love to play as a guy or gal with lutes and flutes, drums and harps, violins and maybe even a synthesizer/keyboard (made by the Asura and their mech magic of course). There’s even existing Bard’s (or somewhat of) already in Tyria, like the Bard’s at Mad King Thorns holiday that sing about him or even the Captain/Pirate Penzan!

Using sound waves to not only heal but buff as well as do damage by shaking the ground with drums or exploding enemies heads with an electric guitar (legendary perhaps?) and lulling enemies to sleep with a harp for a little crowd control. Play a little happy tune to buff your allies, or a ballad for healing properties and straight up rock for damage. So much to work with in terms of flavor, mechanics and skills with the Bard.

I’m not sure how the mechanics would be best to work with though, whether to actually play a tune correctly to be successful in your attack/heal etc… Adding new weapons maybe? Physical Lutes, Drums, Harps, Trumpets etc… Or even a Bard using current weapons but associate them with music or even transforming them to a instrument, maybe even having just the utility bar for instruments that you unlock with skill points and equip it similar to an engineers grenades or flamethrower (probably the way to go).

The more i think about this class the more excited i get because i know if Anet does implement the Bard profession in GW2 they would do it justice and would be one of the best Bards to play with compared to other games with them (there’s not that many).

Of course though I’m not holding my breath, in fact i expect the profession to perhaps never exist as I’m a realist. When you look at today’s professions there’s 3 scholar’s, 3 adventurer’s and only 2 soldier professions. The Bard is very much an adventurer so it would make sense that a third soldier profession would be the next addition, but does it have to be? I can only have hope.

What do you guys think? Would you like to play as a Bard? What more could you add to this profession?

[img]http://stuffershack.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/bard1.jpg[/img]

in Suggestions

Demon Runner.5739

Just had another idea, it would be awesome and so much fun if the Bard’s Elite ability was to drop an ensemble of different instruments that other players could pick up (environmental weapons similar to the elementalist) and play together like a band. Hahaha that really puts a smile on my face and would be unbelievably so much fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: redrex.9634

redrex.9634

Hi Demon,

Your idea is good, but don’t let your fear of non-implementation stifle your creativity here. I want to see this concept profession further developed, and all that’s gonna take is some hard thinking on your part.

1) what resource/mechanic would the Bard use?
2) without adding too many new weps, how can you implement a harp/lyre/drum/keyboard?
3) Remember all professions can fill the minor trinity of support, damage and control. How can the Bard fill these niches?
4) What’s the lore behind them? here you can get super creative and tie them to an area or new race if you wanted.
5) What are his strengths/weaknesses. How does the bard play in PvE, sPvP and WvW?
6) you mentioned playing tunes correctly to attack? how would you use that in the mechanic?
7)Go nuts, but not too nuts. Avoid god modes if you can. Look to create a concept with both understandability and a learning curve.

If you wanted to view two of my own concepts, have a look here:
The Inquisitor: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Concept-Profession-Inquisitor/first
The Spiritualist: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Concept-Profession-Spiritualist/first

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

The biggest problem the traditional bard faces is that it’s almost strictly support and musical instruments would have to go by the wayside .This isn’t to say you couldn’t make it work mind you, you would just have to rework its mechanics a bit . In fact it might be a good way to work in the Chant and Echo back into the game . As for weapons i could see such things as sword, shield, scepter, dagger and focus perhaps a longbow as well

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dezarys.1372

Dezarys.1372

Please make the bard a group friendly class. I like the idea though.. Possibly the first MAJOR support class in Guild Wars 2?

Like make the bard unique… Possibly a musician that excels in support.

Maybe like a class that focuses on ACTUAL group healing and buffs. Constant Swiftness for Roaming and Movment speed for the group. Group Healing, Group Regeneration, Make it a Light Armor Class to Balance this. (Maybe Medium? Heavy could work… dunno) If you work into close combat melee with bard you can get hit hard but would be great on cc. It could be a CC/Group Support Class

Guild Leader of Oakvale [Vale]
http://oakvale.enjin.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I could see the Bard as a mix of mesmer, engineer and warrior.
I think the Bard would still use a regular weapon slot with weapons such as Sword, Longbow and Shortbow, with Dagger and Torch as offhand options but would be unable to weapon swap to a secondary weapon set. The use of weapons would be the path of the Skald when traits are concerned. This would be offset by having instruments in their utility skills much like an Engineer does with kits. Weapons would provide standard abilities similar to that of a warriors, while instruments would be a mix of boons that buff the group and conditions that affect emotions like confusion, fear and weakness. Instruments would be the trait path of the minstrel. Other trait paths could consist of the Joker (Misdirection and mischief), the Grifter (Bluff and Distraction utility skills) or the Troubadour (Utility skills via poetry and minor incantations).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

Bard is the most acclaimed class. I really want it.

This topic Link: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-new-class/page/3#post1336118
got alot of suggestions for classes and the bard’s have the most votes.

redrex.9634 i think the weapons they can introduce to the bard with only Harp and after patchs income more instruments and harp can be skin like Guitar because both is string instrument. With only one new weapon you got 2 skins to players use.

Look pictures is wonderful

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Rename it The Mistral and I’m in

Joking aside, adding to what Redux said, try to come up with the lore / theme of combat first, since this will dictate the rest of profession mechanic, skills ect.

Try to avoid making them like other classes

Quite a cool mechanic for Bards I found was in Forsaken World, where skills would have notes. Playing a series of notes would cause a passive effect you could use to use more powerful skills.

http://fw-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Bard_Skill_List

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Altariel.4610

Rename it The Mistral and I’m in

Joking aside, adding to what Redux said, try to come up with the lore / theme of combat first, since this will dictate the rest of profession mechanic, skills ect.

Try to avoid making them like other classes

Quite a cool mechanic for Bards I found was in Forsaken World, where skills would have notes. Playing a series of notes would cause a passive effect you could use to use more powerful skills.

http://fw-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Bard_Skill_List

I played Forsaken world too, The bard is AMAZING… THE SOUND, THE ATTACK, EVERTHING, But the game is CRAP hehehe
that was so cool to use the auto-attack

If i could import the bard from Forsaken world to Guild wars 2 would be much more happy here.

in Suggestions

Altariel.4610

omg perfect hehhee

MINSTREL I WANT YOU!!!!!

in Suggestions

Demon Runner.5739

Some great replies here! Thank you Redrex for the constructive criticism i may start another thread but in the same format/model as yours to give a more detailed understanding of the class.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Some great replies here! Thank you Redrex for the constructive criticism i may start another thread but in the same format/model as yours to give a more detailed understanding of the class.

Just edit / post in this one

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.