New Weapon : Halberds (Pole-arms)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

This is a suggestion for the introduction for a new weapon – the ‘Halberd’.

There has been a lot of requests for the introduction of a spear-esque weapon. Obviously as we already have ‘spears’ this would have to take the slightly different form of a halberd (see image below)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111006214649/forgottenrealms/images/f/f4/Pole-arm-examples1.jpg

Who Can Use It?

Guardian
Guardians are probably more restrained than most other classes in terms of the range of weapons available to them. A halberd would certainly add another unique dimension to them, providing mass buffs/conditions (carefully balanced of course). I can certainly see the weapon fitting in well with the Guardian lore. Indeed there could be an adaptable ranged version to boost the Guardians somewhat lacking ranged capabilities. However for now I could envision Holy related moves with this weapon type easily.

Ranger
I think the weapon would suit the ranger class and I’d picture moves that would apply mass conditions i.e. bleeding (“Low Sweep”) or perhaps more of a focus on mid-distanced DPS to a single-target i.e. “Impale”, “Lunge” (KD)

Elementalist
Although elementalists already have a vast array of weapons, I think the new dynamics introduced with a Halberd would be very interesting. I think the focus of the skills would be on AoE immediate to the player. So it would actually not be useful as a ranged weapon but rather a viable short-distance weapon. i.e. applying freezing to immediate foes (“Frost Circle”) or cause burning and x damage (“Ignite Area”)

Balancing The New Weapon

I don’t believe balancing would be too hard for this weapon. Yes, It would be able to apply mass conditions/boons (a rather OPed idea) but the damage should also be notable reduced compared to other weapons. This should stop it becoming the go-to OP choice.

Anyway this is a rough idea that I wrote down very quickly and is more of an encouragement for other people to post their ideas on a new Spear-type weapon.
Thoughts please!

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

What about the warriors? I’m pretty sure they’d wanna use this weapon to.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jandopo.2107

Jandopo.2107

Agreed, but personally I would replace the elementalist with the necromancer.
And warriors should be able to use that weapon too.

I really like the idea.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

I would love Halberds for my guardian.
Maybe special abilities could include: Symbol of Stability, AoE knockdowns or pushbacks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xaton.1902

Xaton.1902

no necro would get a scythe not haliberd

in Suggestions

Posted by: technonewt.2907

technonewt.2907

I would soooo love to have halberds, I love polearm weapons! I played a captain in lord of the rings online and they used halberds. and I agree that guardians, warriors, and possible rangers should be the classes that use them. maybe if anet did incorporate them into the game, give them longer reach and a chance to give enemy a reduced armor rating debuff. make it a skill, like rend armor or something.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

Skill ideas?

Ranger
Niche: Mid-ranged Direct Damage (base 600 range on attacks)

Skill 1: Thrust → Sweep → Smash

Thrust: Deal 300dmg to target foe. Mini-jump to target (move up to 200 units) 1/2s activation time.
Hack: strike your foe for 400dmg. 1/2s activation time.
Smash: Strike your foe with an overhead smash for 500 dmg. Apply 2stacks of vulnerability for 5s. 1s activation time.

Skill 2: Piercing Thrust [8s CD]
Damage enemies in a line for 400 dmg. Apply 5stacks of vulnerability for 5s 800unit range.

Skill 3: Jungle Sweep [12s CD]
Strike foes in a 600 unit radius for 200 dmg. Apply 5s cripple. Your pets next attack applies 2 stacks of torment for 5s.

Skill 4: Playful Monkey → Monkey King’s Impact [20s CD]
Playful Monkey: Climb your polearm to evade attacks for up to 1.5s
Monkey King’s Impact: Smash the ground from above to knock down your foe for 2s. Blast finisher.

Skill 5: Whirling Blade [25s CD]
Channel skill for 3s: Strike your foes with a windmill attack. Attack 7 times for 250 dmg. 300 unit range. Whirl Finisher.

in Suggestions

Oberon Vex.1389

Guardian
Niche: Mid-Range Damage + Support

Skill 1: Radiant Strike → Holy Strike → Fervor
Radiant Strike: Deal 250dmg to foe. Cleaves in front. 3/4s activation time.
Holy Strike: Deal 300 dmg to foe. +50% damage if you have a boon. 3/4s activation time.
Fervor: Strike up to 5 foes in a 600 unit radius for 400. Apply 2s of Fury to self for each foe struck.

Skill 2: Protector’s Oath [10s CD]
Channel skill 3s. Block the next ONE incoming attack from all sources to any ally in a 600 unit range.

Skill 3: Crucify [15s CD]
Immobilize your target for 4s. Target takes 200dmg for each second it is immobilized from any source. 600 unit range.

Skill 4: Symbol of the Sentinel [30s cd]
Symbol: Allies inside a 600unit radius are immune to critical hits. 5s duration.

Skill 5: Conviction [35s CD]
Apply 3s of regeneration to self for each unique condition you are suffering. Apply 2s of burning to nearby foes for each unique condition you are suffering. 300 unit range.

in Suggestions

Oberon Vex.1389

Elementalist

Fire
Niche: PBAoE, burning application

Skill 1: Flame Sweep 3/4s activation.
Deal 300dmg to foes in a 300 unit radius. +50% dmg if target is burning.

Skill 2: Fire Wave [8s CD]
Apply 5s of burning to foes in a 600 unit radius.

Skill 3: Lava Spike [12s CD]
Deal 400 damage to 5 foes in a 300 unit radius. +50% dmg if target is burning.

Skill 4: Meteor’s Impact [20s CD]
Summon a meteor to knock down target foe and apply 4s of burning. Blast Finisher.

Skill 5: Inferno [40s CD]
Fire Field: Pulse 1s burning burning and Blind. 5s Duration. 600 unit radius.

Water
Niche: Area Healing + Chill application

Skill 1: Typhoon Sweep. 1s Activation time
Deal 250 dmg to foes in a 600 unit radius. Apply 2s of regeneration to allies in radius.

Skill 2: Frost Circle. [12s CD]
Ice Combo Field: Apply 1s Immobilize on first pulse. Apply chill on pulse. 5s Duration.

Skill 3: Forceful Wave [15s CD]
Push foes in a cone back 300 units. Allies in cone are healed for 400 (0.2)

Skill 4: Hoarfrost [20s CD]
Apply Chill and one stack of torment for 5s.

Skill 5: Brine [30s CD]
Deal 300 damage to target foe. Double damage and 1s Knockdown if target is chilled.

Air
Niche: Condition/Boon application

Skill 1: Piercing Wind 1/2s activation.
Damage foes in a line for 400 dmg. Apply 2 stacks of vulnerability for 3s. 800 unit range.

Skill 2: Playful Wind [8s CD]
Apply 5s cripple to Foes and 5s Swiftness to allies in a 600 unit radius.

Skill 3: Innervating Strike [10s CD]
Deal 250 damage to target foe. Apply 5s weakness.

Skill 4: Stormcaller’s Blessing [20s CD]

Allies in a 600 unit radius gain 5s of Fury

Skill 5: Thunder Storm
Deal 300 damage every second for 5s to foes in a 600 unit radius. Electrical Field.

Earth
Niche: CC

Skill 1: Stone Lance 3/4s activation.
Strike target foe for 300.

Skill 2: Stone Spear [8s CD]
Throw a spear of stone to deal 300 dmg to target foe, apply 1s immobilization and 2 stacks of torment for 5s.

Skill 3: Mudslide [20s CD]
Deal 300 dmg. Apply 5s Cripple. Foes with Swiftness are knocked down for 2s. 600 unit radius.

Skill 4: Stone Skin [30s CD]
You are immune to critical attacks for 5s.

Skill 5: Gravity Well → Gravity Spike[45s CD]

Gravity Well : charge skill: Pulses 2s Cripple and 2s Weakness. 3s Duration, 800 unit radius.

Gravity Spike: release skill: Deals 200/400/800 damage (based on charge duration) in a 600 unit radius. Weakened foes are knocked down for 2s.

in Suggestions

Posted by: imagangsta.1349

imagangsta.1349

Guardian
Niche: Mid-Range Damage + Support

Skill 1: Radiant Strike -> Holy Strike -> Fervor
Radiant Strike: Deal 250dmg to foe. Cleaves in front. 3/4s activation time.
Holy Strike: Deal 300 dmg to foe. +50% damage if you have a boon. 3/4s activation time.
Fervor: Strike up to 5 foes in a 600 unit radius for 400. Apply 2s of Fury to self for each foe struck.

Skill 2: Protector’s Oath [10s CD]
Channel skill 3s. Block the next ONE incoming attack from all sources to any ally in a 600 unit range.

Skill 3: Crucify [15s CD]
Immobilize your target for 4s. Target takes 200dmg for each second it is immobilized from any source. 600 unit range.

Skill 4: Symbol of the Sentinel [30s cd]
Symbol: Allies inside a 600unit radius are immune to critical hits. 5s duration.

Skill 5: Conviction [35s CD]
Apply 3s of regeneration to self for each unique condition you are suffering. Apply 2s of burning to nearby foes for each unique condition you are suffering. 300 unit range.

I like your ideas on guardians halberd skills thing id change though is make symbol of sentinel give either fury, vigor or stability.

Crystal Desert Kingswood Brotherhood [KWBH]
Percivel: Guardian, Vayne Silverjaw: Warrior, Varon Aren: Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Earendil Starsailor.4675

Earendil Starsailor.4675

I like the idea; in fact, I suggested the same thing on one of the “what weapons would you like to see” posts on facebook (or maybe it was on the forums, I don’t recall now). By making it pole arms instead of halberds, you could get all kinds of cool skins (halberd, bill-guisarme, voulge, fauchard, poleaxe, glaive, and all the various combinations).