New Weapons for Classes

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Ok, so Lets start by saying most of the classes are a bit lacking in the weapon’s department. Most notably is the Engineer, but other classes also have needs for additional weapon choices. These are my opinions about what weapons each class should have added. Feel free to post your own ideas as well.

Engineer:
Hammer – Strong melee attacks, PB;AoE attacks, more focused on hitting everything around the engineer than just what is right in-front of them, could incorperate some gadgetry to it’s abilities…

• Lets’s be honest what sort of engineer wouldn’t find use for a hammer? The experiment and build stuff, clearly they know how to use a hammer.

AxeDual Moderate melee attacks, possibly condition based…

• Axes are much more suited to hacking apart constructs for parts than other bladed weapons

Warhorn – Support based offhand, provides boons to allies and/or debuffs enemies

• A clever engineer could blast deafening shrills through a warhorn to demoralize or daze enemies, or empower their allies through shouts.

Torch – Basic burn condition damage abilities

• I’m sure any engineer could find some ingenious uses for a torch, or some not so ingenious uses even.

Ranger:
PistolDual Rapid fire dual wield ranged attacks, evasive attacks, focused on keeping the ranger at a distance.

• I’ve heard the arguments before, let’s avoid discussion about “rangers are attuned to nature so they wouldn’t use a gun” GW2 takes place 200 years after GW1, the lore makes it clear that traditions have changed with the times.

Rifle – Strong slow ranged attacks, knock based, tries to keep the target from reaching the ranger by pushing them back, slowing them, or knocking them down.

• Like the pistol, traditions change over 200 years, attunement with nature does not dismiss use of guns.

Mesmer:
PistolMain-hand Expand upon the Mesmer pistol abilities by bringing the pistol to the main-hand in addition to it’s current role as offhand.

• I don’t understand why this wasn’t done in the first place to be honest.

WarhornMain-hand provides boons to allies, summons illusions, controls enemies through Daze, Immobilize, or Stun abilities

• If anyone could pull off a main-hand warhorn it would be the Mesmer, they could use it as a Siren’s horn, singing through the horn to put their enemies under their illusions while providing supportive boons to allies.

Necromancer:
AxeOff-hand continue along the same path as the main-hand axe abilities with.

• Like the Mesmer’s Pistol, I don’t understand why this wasn’t done in the first place.

Elementalist:
Warhorn – Provide boons or conditions based upon attunement. Fire: Burn/Might, Water Heal/Chill, Earth Immobilize/Protection, Wind not sure really…

• The Warhorn would provide the Elementalist with supportive abilities similar to the staff in an off-hand format… Possibly main-hand even, like the Mesmer, the Elementalist has potential with a main-hand Warhorn.

Hammer – Close ranged AoE combat, fights primarily with elemental spells at close ranged, while dealing moderate melee damage to enemies that get to close.

• A hammer Mage would be a bit of a glass cannon going in close to get the most damage from it’s attacks.

PistolDual Rapid single target oriented ranged elemental attacks

• The Elementalist doesn’t really have any focused damage weapons, they are all primarily AoE based, the Pistol would fill this gap for them.

Shield – Defensive off-hand abilities

• Imagine producing a Wall of Fire to incinerate projectiles, a Healing Mist that cures and prevents conditions, A Wind Barrier pushing melee opponents away, or an Earth Shield blocking most attacks.

SwordDual Multi-Ranged Elemental and Melee damage

• Similar to the Hammer in it’s ability to deal melee damage to near by targets while simultaneously casting elemental spells at various ranges.

Thief:
Rifle – Long ranged power attacks

• The Rifle is a fairly liberal weapon with it’s usage between the two classes that use it currently, for the Thief it would be a single target weapon focused on raw damage, stealth, and crippling their target.

Guardian:
SwordOff-hand Continue the main-hand skill string onto an off-hand option for the Guardian.

• I don’t see why this wasn’t done from the start.

Warhorn – Support based abilities

• Bring inspiration from the Paragon’s Anthems and Echos, make the abilities 2 part, Anthem first followed by reusable Echos until the Anthem finishes cooldown. Echos should have a long enough cooldown to only be used 2-3 times per Anthem

Warrior:
None
PistolDual Fill a one handed ranged option for Warriors

• I still believe that Warriors have enough weapons already but I’m willing to concede to granting them a pistols to fill a vacant role for Warrior weaponry. The Warrior pistol would probably have a combination of ranged and pistol based melee…
Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

(edited by Panda.1967)

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

Wait a second.. Rangers can’t use rifles?

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

No they unfortunately cannot.

Rangers get:
Dual Axe
Off-hand Dagger
Main-hand Sword
Torch
Warhown
Greatsword
Longbow
Shortbow

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

Rangers get:
Dual Axe
Off-hand Dagger
Main-hand Sword
Torch
Warhown
Greatsword
Longbow
Shortbow

Greatsword.. but no Rifle. I’ve heard some dumb things in this game, but this has to be the worst. Rangers should be the king of rifle users.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Artemis.6283

Artemis.6283

Ele Hammer and Pistol?
:P
Nah… first we want Greatsowrd and Dual Sword then we’ll be fine… torch or Warhorn would also fit…

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

Necro only gets Axe off-hand…?
What about Swords? or maybe something LONG RANGE instead of that annoying / boring staff. Give us long range throwable manure for all i care, I’ll be happier, that’s for sure. No annoying sound effects though.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

As I said at the start of the post, these are just my views, ya’ll are more than welcome to add your own suggestions for additions to each class…

I’ll admit though Necro could use more than just added Axe Off-hand, but what precisely is beyond me, I don’t use Necro personally. Any suggestions for new weapons for them and what would set that weapon apart from other Necro weapon’s would be greatly appriciated.

This goes for all classes that ya’ll feel could use furthar improvement.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Staff for Warriors. replace all Banner skills, and put them all on the staff

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

This is totally stupid. Why shouldn’t Warriors get anything? If all those classes get to dip their grubby hands in the Warrior’s goodie-bag, then so should the Warrior in theirs!

Warriors could definitely use access to the Pistol. I’d kill for a one-handed ranged option+Warhorn. Or you could go all Rytlock and use a melee main-hand with a ranged off-hand.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Abdulaziz Alreshidi.6743

Abdulaziz Alreshidi.6743

Engineers seriously need more weapons options.
I like hammer and axe engineer
but warhorn seems a bit off, torch might be acceptable for engineer

But a moment here, what about maces? which class can use maces well?

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

This is totally stupid. Why shouldn’t Warriors get anything? If all those classes get to dip their grubby hands in the Warrior’s goodie-bag, then so should the Warrior in theirs!

Warriors could definitely use access to the Pistol. I’d kill for a one-handed ranged option+Warhorn. Or you could go all Rytlock and use a melee main-hand with a ranged off-hand.

As I’ve stated twice already, the list in the first post is just my views… you are more than welcome to add your own suggestions to it. My reasoning for not adding anything to the warrior is because they already have a huge arsenal of weapons, containing nearly every weapon available in the game as is.

That said, if you believe warriors need a onehanded ranged option, by all means explain your perspective on it. As for any other weapons you think they might need.

OK, I just ran some numbers and put together a little chart showing the current weapon combination possibilities for each class at this time.

Class – MH, OH, 2H = Combo/Total
Guardian – 3, 3, 3 = 12/18
Warrior – 3, 5, 4 = 19/26
Engineer – 1, 2, 1 = 3/6
Ranger – 2, 4, 3 = 11/17
Thief – 3, 2, 1 = 7/12
Elementalist – 2, 2, 1 = 5/9
Mesmer – 2, 4, 2 = 10/16
Necromancer – 3, 3, 1 = 7/13

With the current system the warrior has 19 combinations with all hands filled and 26 total including empty hand combos. This is a huge improvement over the 12 and 18 potential of the Guardian, the class with the next largest arsenal.

I’ll be honest, my argument against adding new weapons to Warrior is based solely on numbers. I’m willing to concede to giving warriors new weapons for valid reasons that arn’t “Warriors just need this weapon”. The point you made about pistols is indeed a valid reason.

(edited by Panda.1967)

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuraikoto.1957

Kuraikoto.1957

I’d be more worried about making some weapon choices more viable than adding new ones. I’ve only reached 80 with a few characters (alt-o-holic’s suffer when life gets busy), but there are some choices that are very limited in use if every optimal.

I haven’t played warrior much at all, but I can say some things in Guard are meh. You see a ton of greatswords -I’m guilty in that one. While you rarely see mace and torch at all outside of leveling, especially after torch stopped triggering “lit on fire” in traits.

I do agree that Engi needs more though… Non-condition engi, does that even exist? I don’t mean condi vs. power build… power builds can be great on gernades/burst engi but all engi weapons have conditions. Good thing the golem in SE doesn’t heal like it use to off of conditions. Both weapons use condition, pistol more so, and most kits are full of conditions. [Plus, new weapons/builds is a great way to keep things fresh between adding content and classes.]

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Abaddon Kizoku.7358

Abaddon Kizoku.7358

Ele Hammer and Pistol?
:P
Nah… first we want Greatsowrd and Dual Sword then we’ll be fine… torch or Warhorn would also fit…

I Like The Idea Of The Dual Sword And The GS Over The Hammer. But Anything To Make The Ele More Versatile Would Be Great. They Need More Of A Battle Sorc Build Rather Than A Throw A Fireball And GTFO Sort OF Style. And No, The Double Dagger Is NO Where Close To A Battle Sorc Way f Play.

~ At An End For The End But Only From The End Can We Begin ~

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

So what is a “battle sorc” ? Ele seems to cover quite a spectrum of playstyles with only 4 weapons (and utilities) as is.

On topic, everyone should have skills for every weapon, except maybe sceptre warriors, but even then i’m sure there would be a way to make it work.

More skills please.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well obviously, Warrior should chain 2 scepters together as a 2-handed weapon and use them like nunchaku.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Abaddon Kizoku.7358

A Battle Sorc Is Able To Use Weapons Like They Are Meant To Be And Still Cast Spells In The Middle Of Battle. Hence A Battle Sorc. If You Give The Ele Say A Sword And Shield Set Up They Can Be Made To Use Defensive Skills With The Shield From Which Element They Are Attuned To As Well As Offensive Skills With The Blade. For Example, Running In And Hack And Slash A Few Enemies Down Then While More Come Along Cast Down A Meteor Storm From The Swords Abilities Or Maybe Even Have A Charging Ability That Leaves Behind A Fire Wall Like The Fiery GS Has And With The Shield Cast Out A Fire Dome Which Burns Enemies And Puts Might Or Fury On All Characters Within The Dome. It Could Turn Out Quite Amazing But I Don’t Think It Will Happen In This Game Though, Sadly.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

I created a topic days ago with the suggestion to make whip and chain type with this move.
Very fun and i really will enjoy have one weapon like that.
Some npc from nightmare court use whip skills … i want u.u
I think many prof can use it, ele, mesmer, warrior, guardian, rogue, hunter and necro

Te whip skill 1 (Auto attack) can be splited in 3 atacks to make nice animation move

Attachments:

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

emikochan.8504

Abbadon i think you’re looking for a guardian :p

And yes the whip already has the animations, make it a real weapon!!

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

I don’t think you’ll ever see main-hand warhorn, I’m pretty sure it’s intended to always be an off-hand weapon, like torch and focus. I’m not sure what a ranger rifle would do that can’t already be done with shortbow, other than look more high tech. I’m also not really sure what rifle thieves would do that they can’t already do with dual pistols.

But I agree that engineers need at least SOME kind of a melee weapon short of waiting for toolkit, namely hammer and/or main-hand mace.

For mesmers, I really can’t imagine what the main-hand pistol’s illusion power would be or do, but yeah, for theme reasons I have a character that wishes it existed. Now I’ll add one of my own:

Elementalist spear, with powers similar to dual-dagger. Because seriously, no underwater melee weapon at all? How did that get overlooked?

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Abaddon Kizoku.7358

No, Not One Bit. I Had A Level 80 Guardian And Switched To Ele Because A Guardian Isn’t Much Of A Guardian More Than A Lesser Priest To Be Honest. I Just Like Being Able To Have A Battle Sorc Set Up On My Ele/Sorc Chars. Most Games Like This Have Some Sort Of Variation For A Battle Sorc Build. This Is The First I Have Played That Doesn’t.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

What I want most is longbow guardian, sniper rifle thief and greatsword necro for a long range power build (also so I can use twilight with him).

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

My Hammer Elementalist idea was to make a Battle Sorc style build for them. Maintaining the melee damage from the hammer for enemies caught in range of it while simultaneously casting spells around the Elementalist. I hadn’t thought about Shield and Sword for the Elementalist, but that actually does sound like a good idea for them.

To be able to cast defensive spells with a Shield equipped and use their main-hand weapon to attack… if a main-hand Warhorn were to happen then a Warhorn/Shield Ele might replace the Staff Ele as the primary Support-style Ele build.

Thinking about it Dual Swords would be nice on an Elementalist too… especially if the attacks were elegant yet deadly.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

emikochan.8504

abbadon you have not played many mmo games then, most mmo games do not have anything like a “battle sorc”.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

abbadon you have not played many mmo games then, most mmo games do not have anything like a “battle sorc”.

Just because most other MMOs don’t have anything like it doesn’t mean GW2 which strives to be differnt from most other MMOs can’t have it… that’s actually all the more reason for GW2 to have it IMHO. Plus it was something we had the ability to make back in GW1. Also [That other popular MMO] has a “Battle Sorc” style class they call it a Shaman. But that’s just a small observation…

And as Abbadon said, the Guardian is in no way a Battle Sorc it is closer to being a Paladin than a Battle Sorc… I still believe they should have just gone ahead and called it a Paladin… but in classic GuildWars fashion the class name had to be unconventional…

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Abaddon Kizoku.7358

There Are Quite A Few That Give The Ability To Making A Battle Sorc. Older Games But Good Games. I Do Like The Idea Of Dual Weilding Swords For The Ele, that Could Be Really Interesting. I Could See Something Like the Warriors Axe Spin Skill, Forget What It Is Called, But Implimented Into The Ele. Say Like With The Fire Augmentation On Having Something Like a fire Tornado that Would Pull In Enemies and Burn Them While also Dealing Damage Melee Style. So Many Things Could Be Done.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Warrior need one hand range weapon. And i want 2hand axes in game.

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

Ok, I’ve updated the OP to include Shield and Sword Elementalist… and ran out of space to add more >.< Will use the top of post 3 to add more additions.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

I think I could agree with gs on an ele, except for our elite skill; pretty much stole any chance of that happening.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

I think I could agree with gs on an ele, except for our elite skill; pretty much stole any chance of that happening.

That’s sorta why I avoided Greatsword.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Artemis.6283

Artemis.6283

They could transform all skills from the elite to the greatsword fire attunement and remove the elite skill. We are also in desperate need of a good elite….

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

I see a lot of weapon suggestions for both engineer and elementalist. While I can see why, due to them not having weapon swap, but if given such weapons listed in OP, it’ll make those two with the most weapon combinations along with their kits (elixir gun, flamethrower, grenade, and tool) and attunements (each weapon times 4). If going to give them that many weapons, then to balance it, remove or incorporate the kits and attunements into these weapons and just make new mechanics for engineer and elementalist.

On other hand, new types of weapons (like whip, throwing types, polearm (different than the underwater spear weapon) would be nice to have and provide some interesting combinations.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Panda.1967

I see a lot of weapon suggestions for both engineer and elementalist. While I can see why, due to them not having weapon swap, but if given such weapons listed in OP, it’ll make those two with the most weapon combinations along with their kits (elixir gun, flamethrower, grenade, and tool) and attunements (each weapon times 4). If going to give them that many weapons, then to balance it, remove or incorporate the kits and attunements into these weapons and just make new mechanics for engineer and elementalist.

On other hand, new types of weapons (like whip, throwing types, polearm (different than the underwater spear weapon) would be nice to have and provide some interesting combinations.

Nothing would need to be removed to balance it. They lost their Weapon Swap ability long ago to “balance”.

The attunements hardly count as weapon combinations either since the attunement changes next to nothing for an Elementalist… Water is the only attunement that changes anything ever and that’s mostly a change to Support… all the others are the same style… close ranged… long ranged… damage heavy… condition heavy… all determined by weapon not attunement.

And the Engineer Kits… currently that’s all they even have… and half of them are gimmicks.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Karia Hansen.4765

Karia Hansen.4765

i would love to see all the current weapons on all classes before we added more to the game. so a guardian can use a bow or rifle, and the Engineer could use a sword. after we get that then we could start adding more weapons.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Well, I’ve thought about this a little and since Guildwars 2 was released I was a bit sad there wasn’t a whip type weapon. But there’s whips, right there, being used by the Nightmare Court, taunting me.

What makes this different mechanically?
A whip is a soft weapon, it therefore is capable of grappling at a distance and attacking from strange angles. Soft weapons however are very difficult to use as you’re just as likely to hurt yourself.

Which professions would use this?
The most obvious two are the Thief and the Ranger. In Eastern cultures, a chain whip is a favoured assassin’s weapon because it is easy to conseal (as it can be kept in a sleeve) and difficult to defend against. The Ranger is a master of beasts, they could easily have been a little more aggressive when charming that moa, plus I love Rangers and whips are my favourite type of weapon, so uh, please? Other professions that I could see using this would be the mesmer, if only because of their ridiculous outfits, and the Necromancer, because like them the whip is a “dark” weapon.

How would these professions put their own spin on the weapon?
The Thief would probably focus on the guard evasion aspect of the whip, using it as a single target medium range weapon. Either a basic chain or the second and third skills would combine to give them a method of rapidly causing vulnerability as the opponent’s defense is overwhelmed and then a killing blow, dealing extra damage based on condition stacks?
The Ranger however could focus on the grappling aspect. This not only sets them apart from the Thief but also works best with them due to their animal companion. Say they have an off-hand whip, skill 4 could grapple a foe, then drag the enemy towards them slowly, giving the pet free opportunity to attack.

Greatsword and Axe/Whip Ranger? It’s a beautiful thought.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

You missed the most obvious one.

Off-hand sword on thief. Mesmer, the most unlikely profession to get dual weapons, gets them. Yet thief without a reason only gets it as a main-hand.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Rangers get:
Dual Axe
Off-hand Dagger
Main-hand Sword
Torch
Warhown
Greatsword
Longbow
Shortbow

Greatsword.. but no Rifle. I’ve heard some dumb things in this game, but this has to be the worst. Rangers should be the king of rifle users.

There’s a few reasons for it really. While it’s completely dumb, it could be because Rangers hate technology, so they just think rifles smell. But I prefer to use their companion as the explanation.

Pets don’t understand fireworks, so when they see a sudden bright flash and loud noise it makes them very edgy AT BEST. To train their pets to work with rifles is difficult as well and constant contact with loud banging can damage their hearing which is one of the reasons you’d use a dog over another person as a partner.

The large arc of the longbow also tells a different story, the pet can hear the Ranger’s shots coming and see it trailing through the air and are trained to follow the shots to their target, but also avoid getting hit by them. The arc of a bow shot also goes over allies heads to their target, resulting in little friendly fire. While Tyria’s guns are getting good at what they do, it’s clear they haven’t been around all that long and thus Rangers may have had many problems with rifle misfires when they were first distributed. It is also very different to aim a rifle when compared with the arc of a bow. Rangers 250 years ago were the archers of Tyria, so it makes sense they’re still traditionally trained to use bows.

So yeah, all in all, there is a lot of reasons why the Ranger won’t use guns right now. That’s not to say they won’t have concluded that guns are effective when technology advances (i.e. Silencers and precision aiming), it’s just that right now, the traditional methods are just as effective if not better.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ornacea.2531

Ornacea.2531

Ever played Ragnarok Online ? One of the best MMORPG in its time with huge guild wars, still active and with a marvellous class called Scholar and their evolution, the Sorcerer.
You were able to go melee and still deal some magic damages upon the physical ones, or cast from far…
I used to play Scholar and I would love to see that kind of gameplay in GW2.

New Weapons for Classes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

How about some underwater weapons on land?

Ok, harpoon gun is a no go on land (crossbow substitute?), but there should be land variants of both spear and trident, for the classes that have them (others like the engi of course will not have access).