New WvW blueprint: Barricade

in Suggestions

Posted by: Special K.8143

Special K.8143

If something like my idea has been suggested before, I apologize. I searched for “blueprint” in the Suggestion and WvW Discussion sub-forums and found nothing. Also, I debated whether to post this here in WvW Discussion or under Suggestions. But i figured anyone reading here is a WvW player and they are more likely to post positive or negative feedback.

Its a blueprint that makes a small, “hedge-like” wall, almost anywhere you want. Barricade has the same health as a Flame Ram and takes 40 supply to build. The wall has the same dimensions (length and width) as a Guardian’s Sta kitten ability, Line of Warding and works the same. All teammates and allied NPC’s can pass through the wall freely, enemy NPC’s and Invaders cannot. While the Barricade blocks movement, you can still fire ranged weapons and targetable skills past the Barricade as it does not block you view. Enemies walking into the Barricade do not get knocked back as if they walked into Line of Warding.

Like any siege, each wall takes up 1 of your empire’s siege cap and must be “tagged” once an hour or it disappears. Barricades can be used to block off choke points, such as entrances to certain Supply camps. Lay them back to back for a layed defense. Or end to end for a perimeter around siege out in the open.

Barricade CANNOT be built:

• anywhere where other siege cannot be built (such as underwater)
  • on top of Tower or Castle walls or the staircases leading up to the walls. (You can build them on staris infront of Keep Gates as long as they aren’t too close to the gates)
  • anywhere within 1200 radius of a bridge (because on certain maps, empires can be walled in/out of their keeps)
  • anywhere within 1200 radius of a “Lord”
  • anywhere within 2400 radius of a Tower or Castle “Gate”
  • anywhere inside the Inner Wall of SMC (but you can build them between the Inner and Outer SMC walls, as long as they are not within 2400 radius of a “Gate”)

Superior Barricade: 50 supply to build, more health and slightly longer.

(edited by Special K.8143)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

Do want.

15chachas

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

I have been asking for something similar since release.

I most definitely want! However, it would need to be done properly or it would result in massive (and I mean MASSIVE) exploitation of it even in open field.. You could essentially lock someone into their spawn point if you had enough people and supplies.

I actually would love a general “build” toolset where we could build our own fortifications, towers, etc using supply then upgrade them as normal. Though, I think for that to be reasonable, we would need much larger maps and it would probably require a full redesign of WvW. Not that I am against that in principle, its just kitten unlikely!

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esprit Dumort.3109

Esprit Dumort.3109

A barricade type siege would be nice. But friendlies being able to pass through it freely would make it too powerful.

At choke points you could setup staggered barricades such that you run through and the enemy has to go through layers of barricades. Almost like insta-gates to hide behind.

You either make them as expensive as golems, so you can’t just spam them and/or limit number of barricades within a radius of existing ones.

Jessamine [SNOW]
Gandara

in Suggestions

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

I had an idea similar to this in one of my threads:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Real-tools-for-the-WvW-player/first#post2179363

It was a little hidden but it was a special type of siege a player proficient in a certain role would be able to deploy. It would block movement and projectiles but wouldn’t last forever. More of a situational tool.
I really like the idea of these and the possibilities they add but I do think they’d be abused if they were able to be placed too near one another and you know there would be those spots people would find that would border on exploit.
Solid idea, would need very careful testing and implementation. ^.^

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Suggestions

Posted by: zTales.4392

zTales.4392

I like this. +1

Bri Dragonblight – Ranger | Bri Iceblight – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Isn’t the whole point of a barricade that “nothing” can pass through it? You can be barricaded “out” or “in”. I like the idea, but I think it should be equal opportunity deal.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Really like the idea, as per the OP’s suggestions. Friendlies should be able to pass through it. But I’d only add that it should be limited in how many times it could be used … like only one barricade could be used at choke point into lord’s room at hills. I don’t think you should be able to put up three or four of them at a time, even given siege proximity cap.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sammuilee.5814

Sammuilee.5814

While the Barricade blocks movement, you can still fire ranged weapons and targetable skills past the Barricade as it does not block you view.

And melee should just watch there?

There is already enough walls in wvw, don’t need to add these to open fields.

in Suggestions

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

blocks friendlies -> build in front of tower entrance -> troll ur teammates tryin to enter to defend

jus saiyan

edit: on that note…

put this in and suddenly any tower without a mesmer scout or sizable group of defenders inside already is suddenly a guaranteed take for a group with 90 supply. you can guarantee a keep take with about what… 280 or 380 supply? np with 10 people and a couple supply runs. 5 classes cant teleport past it.

itd be the worst change yet, worse than arrow carts w/ 3500 range.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

(edited by insanemaniac.2456)

in Suggestions

Special K.8143

A barricade type siege would be nice. But friendlies being able to pass through it freely would make it too powerful.

At choke points you could setup staggered barricades such that you run through and the enemy has to go through layers of barricades. Almost like insta-gates to hide behind.

You either make them as expensive as golems, so you can’t just spam them and/or limit number of barricades within a radius of existing ones.

Isn’t the whole point of a barricade that “nothing” can pass through it? You can be barricaded “out” or “in”. I like the idea, but I think it should be equal opportunity deal.

Like you guys, i also imagined the wall to look like a wooden structure with spikes and barbed wire around it, something you’re see in World War 2 trenches. Its hard to imagine justifying allies and friendly NPC’s to walk through that. But, imagine the finished Barricade to look Asuran made, like the golems and the Tower/Keep colored gates that let people walk through. Think more in terms of a “Star Trek-ish” force field, except that it has got some width to it. For the build animation, you see the 2 end posts being built. The finished product will have a color coded “gate-wall” going between the posts. This allows everyone to know from a distance, which empire owns the Barricade. And in our heads, it justifies how some people can walk through it and some people can’t, just like gates on a tower that you own or don’t own.

And yes, you can stagger build them in areas like Pangloss Rise. It’s going to annoy a group of 5 people having to destroy 5 Barricades to get to the camp and flip it. It’s really going to annoy that 1 solo roamer. Especially if it slows him down and he gets noticed and ganked. But if there is a zerg of 30+ steaming rolling through the area, each wall is going to slow them by about 3-5 seconds per barricade. So if Red has a couple arrow carts behind them and maybe a Ballista, they might stand a chance of defending against the zerg train. And if not, maybe they can take a few down with them. Each empire has 1 wide open camp and 1 “choke point” camp. Heaven forbid a zerg train has to use tactics to get at a “choke point” camp if it is being defended…..

I have been asking for something similar since release.

I most definitely want! However, it would need to be done properly or it would result in massive (and I mean MASSIVE) exploitation of it even in open field.. You could essentially lock someone into their spawn point if you had enough people and supplies.

I don’t see that happening. I’m not saying that an empire wouldn’t try it. But it would be extremely hard for a few reasons: On borderland maps, there are 3 ways out of spawn for the southern 2 areas, the normal center route towards the towers and the 2 side routes that lead to the supply camps. The homeland empire would have devote half of their siege cap just to build a wall across the center path with no gaps and other siege like arrow carts to protect it. Then they would have to camp it and wait, because if they don’t camp it, it will get destroyed fast. You can’t reeally “wall up” the side paths since it involves leaving those spawn areas by jump off a cliff into a wide open area or into water.

On Eternal Battlegrounds, thats a little different. since the Red empire is in the middle of the northern boarder, its virtually impossible to wall them in. Green Empire is in a corner, but there is water you can jump into that’s surrounds the area almost up to the Keep gate. You can not build Barricades in water (I’ll add that to the OP). Blue Empire is most likely going to be the Empire that others will try to wall in. But you have to factor in the Protective bubble around the spawn. You cant kill people inside it and if you accident cross the bubble, you die almost instantly. So you can’t build barricades right next to the Bubble. The Empire you are trying to wall in can freely ping at it in safety. You would have to build it far enough away that they have to come out of their bubble to get at it. It also has to be far enough away that you can attack them and get them down before running back to the safety of the bubble. they will just duck in and out till your siege is gone. The terrain outside Blue Empire isn’t flat all around. Following the road to the Keep is level, but going off to either side slopes down very fast. Again.. very hard to get siege up in large numbers. All in all, trying to wall up an Empire in their spawn is extremely unlikely. You may through down a couple walls infront of siege to force melee people to either go through the Barricade or around it.

in Suggestions

Special K.8143

While the Barricade blocks movement, you can still fire ranged weapons and targetable skills past the Barricade as it does not block you view.

And melee should just watch there? There is already enough walls in wvw, don’t need to add these to open fields.

If you are melee, you can swap to range and continue to attack if the enemy is taunting you from the otherside of thier Barricade. Or, you can run up and start bashing on the barricade. It only has the health of a flame ram. If you are running solo after another solo invader and he gets past a barricade at a choke point that you can’t get by, then continuosly pings you with range from safety, yet you have no range to attack back? Well, heck, thats called “Terrain Advantage”. You just might have to fall back because you decided to go double melee instead of having one range. That’s like complaining about being stunned all the time yet you carry no stun breakers. Live by the sword, die by the sword….

But on that note, remember that if you have a skill that “pulls” enemies towards you, and every profession does except warriors, you can pull the enemy through his barricade, stun him, and beat on his face before he tries to escape past it again. Remember, ranged skills still work over a Barricade. And if they try to pull you through the Barricade, you only go up to the wall and not through it to their feet. Granted they still pulled you, but you probably aren’t going to be combo’ed down. And if you do get bursted down, well, guess you shouldn’t be fighting the fight on his terms. Lesson learned.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Maybe I’m missing the point… but if your ranged attacks go through it, how do you destroy it?

in Suggestions

Sammuilee.5814

And melee should just watch there? There is already enough walls in wvw, don’t need to add these to open fields.

Or, you can run up and start bashing on the barricade. It only has the health of a flame ram. If you are running solo after another solo invader and he gets past a barricade at a choke point that you can’t get by, then continuosly pings you with range from safety, yet you have no range to attack back?

That sound very boring to go melee it or go ranged and shoot it from safe distance until it go down.

in Suggestions

Special K.8143

Maybe I’m missing the point… but if your ranged attacks go through it, how do you destroy it?

It will be a targetable object. You click on it to target it and shoot it. Think of it like the Guardian’s Staff ability, Line of Warding. That’s basically what Barricade will be. Allies can walk through it freely. Both allies and enemies can shoot and target through it. Enemies can not pass through it, until it is destroyed. Barricade does not knock back enemies who walk into. I updated my OP to reflect this better description.

Or, you can run up and start bashing on the barricade. It only has the health of a flame ram. If you are running solo after another solo invader and he gets past a barricade at a choke point that you can’t get by, then continuosly pings you with range from safety, yet you have no range to attack back?

That sound very boring to go melee it or go ranged and shoot it from safe distance until it go down.

Do you have a problem running up to a flame ram or arrow cart and bashing it?

(edited by Special K.8143)

in Suggestions

Sammuilee.5814

It’s not what I like to do in WvW and definitely don’t want to see more of it in WvW. I rather see less siege bashing and more pvp & gvg in wvw.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I like everything but the fact that it’s clear and you can walk/shoot through it. It should be solid and opaque. It should be something to hide numbers behind, protect from things like ballistas, etc.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Needs to be much much much less exploitable. Both in terms of enemy (locking outmanned side in spawn) and griefing.

Best thing could be making it a structure upgrade with a set points to be placed: pay the upgrade, choose in which point avaible you want it to be built.

Making it a blueprint and spammable almost everywhere is open to way too many manipulations. Like traps. Which didn’t fall in that kind of use due manly to cost and usefulness – removing supply is very powerful tool, but this is able to hold up a whole zerg…

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Suggestions

Special K.8143

Needs to be much much much less exploitable. Both in terms of enemy (locking outmanned side in spawn) and griefing.

Best thing could be making it a structure upgrade with a set points to be placed: pay the upgrade, choose in which point avaible you want it to be built.

Making it a blueprint and spammable almost everywhere is open to way too many manipulations. Like traps. Which didn’t fall in that kind of use due manly to cost and usefulness – removing supply is very powerful tool, but this is able to hold up a whole zerg…

• if allies and friendly npc’s can pass through the Barricade, you can not grief your team
  • As I explained above in my OP, virtually impossible to wall-lock an empire in their spawn. First, there is a siege limit that keeps you from building too much siege in one area. It keeps griefers from going off and building 100 flame rams off in the corner of the map. It also keeps empires from building 100 arrow carts in one tower. Thats why you never see more than 7 to 9 pieces of siege in one tower. That “area siege limit” keeps an empire from wall locking.
  • Holding up a zerg is EXACTLY what it’s suppose to do. But imagine a lone fire ram out in the open with no one to protect it. And along comes a 40+ enemy zerg ball that to kill it. That ram lasts about 3 to 5 seconds and then continues on a path of destruction. That delay is nothing to a zerg. If a large zerg encounters a lone Barricade blocking the way, they will hardly notice it. If fact, that Barricade will be destroyed so fast, that people in the back of the zerg wouldn’t even know its up there. So you have the option of building several Barricades back to back, maybe no more than 5 deep. If you throw a couple arrow carts and a ballista behind that, you can have a group of 7 to 10 people “discourage” a mindless zerg train from taking their “choke camp”. Now, the Zerg train has to grow a brain and use just a little bit of tactics to get it before reinforcements arrive at the camp. And before someone says “10 people holding off a zerg of 40+, thats overpowered”. Well, your empire should of sent a small team to flip the camp sooner or send a scout to make sure they aren’t building defenses, etc, etc,. The downside to building this stuff is that they have to defend it and tag it so it doesn’t disappear or get ninja’ed if they don’t have a proper amount of people there to defend. Essentially tying up man power that could be used elsewhere.
  • dont forget there is a map limit each empire has on how much siege can be on the map. You could build a bunch of Barricades in different useful places. But you might hit your limit and can’t build that last arrow cart that you really need.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Death Card.2904

Death Card.2904

I think it should look like a pretty little asura forcefield but it still should block projectiles, but take them as damage. I think (dont hate on me) that they should only be able to be placed in towers/keeps/castles as a secondary temporary defence. Like when you get to a tower to late and all you have is 40 sups to stop them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nobody.3158

Nobody.3158

You seem to realize it’ll adversely affect solo roamers and smaller groups far more than the zerg. It also seems like you want to change camps into fortifications when they aren’t towers for a reason. Some camps already have natural choke points that you can almost lock down with the siege already available. In short, the idea is interesting but I’m not sure it’ll be good for the health of the format. It might boil down to whether you want more siege or whether you want more open field fighting, zerg or not.

Well, if this does get added, does anyone want to make a fort on the middle quaggan island with me?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sol.8341

Sol.8341

Bad idea. As if we need more disposable guardians.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ring_of_Warding
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Line_of_Warding

Throw in some Mesmer null fields with several ACs and it will be shooting fish in a barrel. Think of the lag created when trolls build fencing like those barricades at concerts. Yes, some people have too much time and they will do it.

(edited by Sol.8341)

in Suggestions

Special K.8143

It’s not what I like to do in WvW and definitely don’t want to see more of it in WvW. I rather see less siege bashing and more pvp & gvg in wvw.

If you want less siege bashing and more pvp, why not go do tpvp and spvp? I’m sure Anet will add in GvG at some point also, which will probably be the samething as t/spvp except it will be larger maps and be 20 v 20. WvW has forts, siege, supplies, and more. it is NOT pvp. And WvW should have more tools and tactics available to it than to just get 40+ people into a zerg and have each empire zerg-train through territories just to trade ownership of things every 5-10 minutes. It should be a perfectly acceptable tactic to add a couple Barricades, arrow carts, and about 10 people into an area like Pangloss or ogre camp and be able to defend, or at least hold off, a 40 man zerg who are doing nothing but running around aimlessly. At least if they see a little fortification in ogre camp, they might have to stop and build some siege of their own to get by. Heaven forbid zergs can’t take some objectives super fast. And having another zerg of equal size there to stop them shouldn’t be the only available tactic.

I like everything but the fact that it’s clear and you can walk/shoot through it. It should be solid and opaque. It should be something to hide numbers behind, protect from things like ballistas, etc.

From Dictionary.com
——————————-
bar·ri·cade [bar-i-keyd, bar-i-keyd] noun, verb, bar·ri·cad·ed, bar·ri·cad·ing.
noun
1. a defensive barrier hastily constructed, as in a street, to stop an enemy.
2. any barrier that obstructs passage.

verb (used with object)
3. to obstruct or block with a barricade: barricading the streets to prevent an attack.
4. to shut in and defend with or as if with a barricade: The rebels had barricaded themselves in the old city.

What you described is a “wall”. If you want to be on or behind a wall, goto a tower, keep, garrison, or castle. A Barricade, by definition, is a hastily constructed barrier. They are generally 4 to 5 feet up from the ground simply because you are stacking stuff loosely on top of each other. Thats why they are easy and fast to construct, but also weak and easy to destroy if not protected. If you want “Wall Blueprint”, why not write up a thread and suggest it and see what the WvW community thinks of it.

I think it should look like a pretty little asura forcefield but it still should block projectiles, but take them as damage. I think (dont hate on me) that they should only be able to be placed in towers/keeps/castles as a secondary temporary defense. Like when you get to a tower to late and all you have is 40 sups to stop them.

I disagree to Barricades blocking projectiles. Enemies should be able to decide whether they what to target the Barricade itself or put pressure on the people who built it attack people on the other side of it. The best tactic would be to have ranged people attack past the barricade to cover melee people who damage the barricade itself. And while i wouldn’t totally object to having the Barricades being able to be built anywhere in the towers, such as on walls and staircases, you have to remember that Barricades are siege and that there is a siege cap for the area you are in. If you can only build 7 pieces of siege in a tower, building a barricade takes up a slot that could of been used by an arrow cart to help defend more aggressively. Barricades should definitely be able to be built anywhere any other piece of siege can be built on the map. not just in Towers and such.

You seem to realize it’ll adversely affect solo roamers and smaller groups far more than the zerg.

Yes, it probably will. I solo roam alot so i know what it would mean. And i’m sure lots of solo roamers will hate the idea of a Barricade blocking their way into a camp. But as a solo roamer, i wouldn’t be concerned with Barricades. Because if there are no people there to defend the Barricade, what’s there to stop you from destroying it? I can kill a Flame Ram solo in a pretty decent short amount of time. They have to dedicate man power to watching the Barricade almost constantly or a roaming pack of 1 to 4 players if going to destroy it and gobble up the wxp for doing it. But this also gives small guilds something to do if they want to take charge of watching over a supply or mercenary camp for their empire, just as a larger guild might do with a tower.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Make it timed only. Possible to place it only at specific locations.

And: It should cost a lot – also there should be a global CD meaning if you placed one and it disappeard after a timer of like x minutes(maybe 2-3 minutes) then nobody can place one at the same spot anymore for x minutes/ or hours(maybe like 1 hour).

Global/nobody meaning: Somene else also has that CD and not 10 people can place barriers one after another for a very long time.

Barrier itself should be invulnerable to be able to buy some time for a zerg to arrive and help.

This way 1 person could inform the own zerg if an enemy zerg is arriving… and instead “hey enemy zerg incoming to camp” … few seconds later “camp lost” – while the own zerg had no chance to go there to defend it will be possible to buy time this way. But not unlimited.

If own zerg still does not arrive within the few additional minutes bought or of the enemies are strong enough to defeat it then they still can claim the objective. Also the CD should help to prevent doing this countless times… they should than try to defend it or scout very very early for the next 1 hour.