New class: Samurai

in Suggestions

Posted by: Clarity.7281

Clarity.7281

I have read this Idea on the Wiki but would like to place my idea of it on here.

Weapons: Great Katana, Katana, Sword, Rifle, Longbow.

Profession Skill: Way of the Bushido.
This meter fills when using certain skills much like adrenaline. however when activated places them into a Stability state and removes all cool downs on abilities at the cost of using Bushido to activate abilities. Giving them the ability to Chain weapon skills together much like a thief temporarily.

There is obviously some skills already in place that work for this class like endure pain, and shouts. however since this is a totally different class other mechanics could be used. so heres some ideas i have.
Healing skill ideas;

Signet of Courage: Gain regeneration when struck. Activate for healing self, and granting protection and regeneration to nearby allies.

Utility skill ideas;

Stalwart defense: Take a defensive stance, blocking projectiles and granting protection and stability for nearby allies.

Piercing blows: When activated your Next 5 attacks pierce through your foes and causing cripple and immobilize.

Signet of Righteousness: your attacks bleed foes. On activation your next 5 attacks cause vulnerability.

Elite skill ideas;

Reckless abandon: When activated your bushido meter becomes filled and remains filled for the 5 second duration. during the 5 seconds you take 50% more damage. when ended bushido goes on cool down.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Heretic.7528

Heretic.7528

Wouldn’t this just be warrior but with a new weapon type? They could just add a katana weapon with a different move set and accomplish the same thing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Clarity.7281

Clarity.7281

in essence could be was thinking about it not being a plate wearing class though sharing the same armor as a thief.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

Adding new classes tends to make balancing more difficult so it is unlikely that ANet will do it any time soon. New weapons and armors and skills are already a leap.

Note that there was an expansion for gw1 with eastern elements in it.
The tengu are an inherently eastern mythos.
Will they add kitsune hybrid race that isn’t gender locked to female like in most eastern mmo? (yeah, never understood how feline beast race is often male gender locked but fox race had plenty of male supporting lore in history but was gender locked female because they could easily turn a blind eye to their own legends).
They probably won’t add anything like that.

However.. its much more likely they will add daikatana and more samurai like armors for warrior if they do make an eastern expansion. The tengu city is sealed off and occupies a large spot on the map so it could easily be in an expansion. Even still, I don’t know if tengu have that sort of weaponry as I usually seem to see them with bows. New armor skins require less work than races and professions so they can add them more simply. The godskull slayer reminds me alot of monster hunter so I use it, if you want a less western looking (dual edged) sword. Its also incredibly cheap for an epic looking weapon skin.

However.. its much more likely they will add daikatana and more samurai like armors for warrior if they do make an eastern expansion. The tengu city is sealed off and occupies a large spot on the map so it could easily be in an expansion. Even still, I don’t know if tengu have that sort of weaponry as I usually seem to see them with bows. New armor skins require less work than races and professions so they can add them more simply. The godskull slayer reminds me alot of monster hunter so I use it, if you want a less western looking (dual edged) sword. Its also incredibly cheap for an epic looking weapon skin.They won’t release it while people are playing with their pandas though, haha.
They don’t want to be seen as riding WoW’s wave.

However.. its much more likely they will add daikatana and more samurai like armors for warrior if they do make an eastern expansion. The tengu city is sealed off and occupies a large spot on the map so it could easily be in an expansion. Even still, I don’t know if tengu have that sort of weaponry as I usually seem to see them with bows. New armor skins require less work than races and professions so they can add them more simply. The godskull slayer reminds me alot of monster hunter so I use it, if you want a less western looking (dual edged) sword. Its also incredibly cheap for an epic looking weapon skin.They won’t release it while people are playing with their pandas though, haha.
They don’t want to be seen as riding WoW’s wave.Why is part of this message showing twice… it isn’t doubled in preview and I tried fixing it.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in Suggestions

Posted by: mnguyen.5142

mnguyen.5142

I would not see any necessary addition with a new profession. All professions are pretty much balanced and cover all the dynamics of combat. The addition with a new profession would most likely be introduced with future expansions, and I don’t see a “Samurai” class being something that is worth implementing. I feel like you’re just giving ideas to new armor skins and skills that don’t really make them unique from the ones already present in the game.

If a class such as the Samurai were to be introduced, it would most likely be brought up in an expansion pack that opens up Cantha to the world (which would be years from now because we have only explored 50% of Tyria, if even that much). Also, ANet would have to really make the Samurai a new and unique profession – the way you described the idea doesn’t seem like anything new at all.

In all, I don’t see this profession becoming reality due the simple fact that it’s not all that exciting and different (according to your ideas).

PS: Piercing blows? What good does cripple do when you’re immobolized?

“Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” – Voltaire

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alexoir Alvisthron.7318

Alexoir Alvisthron.7318

If ANet ever went through a chinese/japanese (what ever,) cultural path, such as Blizzard did, I’d be forced to quit.

“Sometimes I like to lay under my bed and pretend I’m a carrot.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

I wasn’t aware Aura portals can lead to medieval Japan. Why not to Coruscant as well, let’s have a Jedi Knight profession too

in Suggestions

Posted by: gesztenye.3750

gesztenye.3750

Then you guys dind’nt play with Guild Wars Factions.There was much chinese/japanese culture there:D.And i hope they will make Factions expansion reborn into GW2 EXP someday.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Warrior with a Katana. Just implement a Katana and we’re good to go.
Ninja? Thief with Kunai. gg.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“If ANet ever went through a chinese/japanese (what ever,) cultural path, such as Blizzard did, I’d be forced to quit.”

Factions is coming. No pandas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

Katanas are swords.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Yeah…. Cantha doesn’t have samurais, they’re called warriors.

And since Katanas are swords, those are basically the same weapons a warrior would use and more.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

“I want to wield a Katana! I gief you diz class to accomplish my wish!” /thread.

HAHA! Small joke. In all seriousness though, no… Just add a new weapon, it’s that simple.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

If ANet ever went through a chinese/japanese (what ever,) cultural path, such as Blizzard did, I’d be forced to quit.

http://www.gameogre.com/reviewdirectory/upload/Guild%20Wars%20Factions.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2010/02/cny-rb-21.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6338/scr02pagebeaa57gw5.jpg

http://bestgamewallpapers.com/files/guild-wars-factions/shiros-betrayal.jpg

It already has and chances are will again.

You might also want to take note of the African, Egyptian and Arabian campaign called NightFall