New gem store item: loadouts

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Lots of players have been requesting the ability to quickly respec their characters, so I came up with this new account upgrade a few weeks back and decided to post it. (Yes I admit I just happened to see a post in another thread with a similar idea. That is why I remembered this.)

Effectively it is a new tab in the hero panel that can be unlocked for a small gem fee. Each tab is basically an entirely new character build, complete with armor and weapon slots. These slots would allow you to slot in the same armor as a previous build if you wish to re-use, or to effectively equip two or more (depending on how many tabs you buy) entire gear sets. Likewise each tab is linked to a different skill and trait build.

In essence this is a one-click character respec, allowing you to complete change both your build and your gear loadout to a predetermined state. Using these still require a few silver out of pocket (equivalent to a trait respec), and cannot be used while in combat or within an instance (including dungeons). However they can be used while in “safe zones” (standing within an uncontested waypoint in the open world).

in Suggestions

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

While I like the idea, why attach a gold/gem cost to it to implement or reset?

A secondary armor switchout (same as for weapon) plus add adjustable traits = problem solved. It would be easier to implement too.

in Suggestions

Arkham Creed.7358

A secondary armor switchout (same as for weapon) plus add adjustable traits = problem solved. It would be easier to implement too.

As far as the gem price to activate this feature, I just felt that something like this was more likely to be implemented as a paid extra than a default feature. Besides it is hardly necessary, being ultimately nothing more than a convenience to those players that want it. And Arena Net did say that their gem store was designed around selling cosmetic and convenience items/features. They need to make money, and as far as micro-transactions go this is one more likely to be praised by the community than hated.

Now, as to the coin cost per-use, that is really just me playing it safe. You see the current trait respec system is an intended gold sink, and while the exact reason for it is up for debate, clearly Arena Net wanted it to cost a bit of coin each time you change your build, and likewise didn’t want you do be able to do it just anywhere. (I actually saw a suggested system allowing players to change builds while in combat. That will certainly never happen.) It is true that changing that system, especially for someone who paid real money to avoid it, may not have any negative impact on the game or its economy. But it is also true that it might have some disastrous effect somewhere down the line. And while players like us don’t need to think about such possibilities, I guarantee that Arena Net does.

So I felt it was better to have this still bound to the same restrictions as the current system. After all you would still have to run to a waypoint and pay a little pocket change. The only thing cut out is the wasted time of having to load a new area, run to a trainer, flip through menus and manually reset traits and skills, run back, and load back into the first zone. It is just a time saver really, and that is the essence of convenience.

(edited by Arkham Creed.7358)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

As far as the gem price to activate this feature, I just felt that something like this was more likely to be implemented as a paid extra than a default feature. Besides it is hardly necessary, being ultimately nothing more than a convenience to those players that want it. And Arena Net did say that their gem store was designed around selling cosmetic and convenience items/features. They need to make money, and as far as micro-transactions go this is one more likely to be praised by the community than hated.

Now, as to the coin cost per-use, that is really just me playing it safe. You see the current trait respec system is an intended gold sink, and while the exact reason for it is up for debate, clearly Arena Net wanted it to cost a bit of coin each time you change your build, and likewise didn’t want you do be able to do it just anywhere. (I actually saw a suggested system allowing players to change builds while in combat. That will certainly never happen.) It is true that changing that system, especially for someone who paid real money to avoid it, may not have any negative impact on the game or its economy. But it is also true that it might have some disastrous effect somewhere down the line. And while players like us don’t need to think about such possibilities, I guarantee that Arena Net does.

So I felt it was better to have this still bound to the same restrictions as the current system. After all you would still have to run to a waypoint and pay a little pocket change. The only thing cut out is the wasted time of having to load a new area, run to a trainer, flip through menus and manually reset traits and skills, run back, and load back into the first zone. It is just a time saver really, and that is the essence of convenience.

While additional template pages are a convenience feature, the ability to swap builds between 2 or more templates is a power feature. It offers a lot of utility, even when limited to out-of-combat usage, as it makes forming dungeon groups more effective, allows builds with excellent disengage abilities to break off from a foe, change their build, and re-engage, and more. There’s no reason for the bare minimum of the feature to be monetized, but there is nothing wrong with selling extra pages.

Use League of Legends rune pages as an example.

in Suggestions

Arkham Creed.7358

While additional template pages are a convenience feature, the ability to swap builds between 2 or more templates is a power feature. It offers a lot of utility, even when limited to out-of-combat usage, as it makes forming dungeon groups more effective, allows builds with excellent disengage abilities to break off from a foe, change their build, and re-engage, and more. There’s no reason for the bare minimum of the feature to be monetized, but there is nothing wrong with selling extra pages.

That’s debatable, especially since stealth doesn’t reset aggro anymore. However either implementation would be fine, I think. I just don’t see us getting our first tab for free. Now if Arena Net was kind enough to offer the first tab for free that would be undeniably awesome. I just don’t see it happening.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Well, a second free template that let you change gear, traits for free is a compromise I could live with. Additional pages for a small gem fee would be fine as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Kind of what WOW gives users for in-game gold?

in Suggestions

Arkham Creed.7358

Kind of what WOW gives users for in-game gold?

Yes well, I assure you I find no pleasure in saying this.

Go play WoW then.

Alternative comeback

You mean that thing WoW charges you $15 a month for? Because, you know, WoW charges you $15 a month for EVERYTHING.