No titles for crafters?

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Am I alone in thinking that the game should give players a title for reaching 400 in each craft?

For example, reach 400 in cooking, and you get the title “Chef” or “Master Chef”, etc..

Currently the only title is “Master Crafter”, which sounds terribly bland and requires 400 in every craft.

I’d much rather get a title for each profession and maybe a couple of other titles from maxing out extra professions.

• “Crafty” (2 crafts at maxed)
  • “Jack of Some Trades” (4 crafts maxed)
  • “Jack of Most Trades” (6 crafts maxed)
  • “Factotum” (8 crafts maxed)
- Al Zheimer

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lady Vireo.5189

Lady Vireo.5189

I love this idea and really hope it gets added at some point. Why don’t you start a thread in the Suggestions forum?

A Dev has spoken:Cantha is definitely not cut from the game
Show your support for Cantha’s return in GW2! Please join us in the Cantha Thread.
Many thanks to Wooden Potatoes for his outstanding lore video, a real tribute to Cantha.

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Account.9832

I love this idea and really hope it gets added at some point. Why don’t you start a thread in the Suggestions forum?

Mostly because things in the suggestions forum tend to scroll out of the first page (and into oblivion – or possibly into skyrim) in 10 minutes, and it seems that the developers responsible for crafting actually read this forum.

- Al Zheimer

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cisza.9540

Cisza.9540

Buy a title for 3 gold (cause that’s what you need to level a proffesion – yes, I checked on Armorsmith, Huntsman, Weaponsmith and Artificer – all needed 12 golds from 0 to 400).

I say – no, thank you. Titles are there to show you achieved something, not spent 1hour with crafting booster near the proffesion station.

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: zao.2710

zao.2710

Cisza, then check again. Artificing costs waay less.
I would also like profession specific titles, for example Master Artificer. It would help master crafters get some additional jobs.

Varg Defleshed the devout Necromancer | Desolation EU

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cisza.9540

Cisza.9540

@zao – I wrote that 4 proffesions costed me 12g, so one is about 3g. I didn’t write: Artificing costs exactly 3g.

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: zao.2710

zao.2710

Sorry, I understood that each one of them costs 12g per your calculations, reading fail.

Varg Defleshed the devout Necromancer | Desolation EU

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

@zao – I wrote that 4 proffesions costed me 12g, so one is about 3g. I didn’t write: Artificing costs exactly 3g.

Using a combination of bought and personal mats a ratio of about 2 to 1. Artificer cost my approximately 40s, that is after NPCing all the products.

So crafting does not deserver a title, unless it for having all 8 crafts on an account.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Account.9832

Buy a title for 3 gold […] I say – no, thank you. Titles are there to show you achieved something, not spent 1hour with crafting booster near the proffesion station.

So I guess you’re against “Combat Healer” as well, because all it shows is that you spent a couple of hours reviving players and NPCs. Or “Master Crafter”, because all it shows is that you spent 8 hours levelling 8 professions (I’m sure you already have this one, right? After all, by your maths it’s so trivial to get!). Or “Been There Done That”, because all it shows is that you spent 2 days running around hitting map markers.

Oh, wait, that’s how you get pretty much all achievements and titles: By spending time playing the game, and some of them take more time than others.

Now, you might say that reaching 400 in a craft takes too little time (or too much time). Maybe you maxed out all your professions in the first day (I didn’t, I think most people didn’t). But that’s a separate discussion.

The issue here is: Shouldn’t the fact that you’ve reached the maximum possible skill level in a craft allow you to use that craft as a title for your character? Aren’t real life chefs typically called “Chef X”, even when they’re nowhere near the top of the skill ladder?

Besides, no one forces you to “wear” any title. If you think you “don’t deserve it”, don’t select it.

I have no interest in the title “Master Crafter”, and it gives other players no information about what my current active crafts even are. If I could wear “Master Chef” (or “Master Artificer”, etc.), other players I come across would know that I took that particular craft more seriously (seriously enough to pick it as my displayed title), meaning I probably have some recipes that most other chefs (or artificers, etc.) don’t.

It’s good for role-playing, it’s good for trading, and it has absolutely no downsides (except, apparently, making you angry because someone else got something that doesn’t affect you in any way).

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

Tailor should have the title “just a humble tailor” since anet like putting little references and shout outs in the game(it a ds9 reference for those who dont know).

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: mokaiba.4169

mokaiba.4169

Buy a title for 3 gold (cause that’s what you need to level a proffesion – yes, I checked on Armorsmith, Huntsman, Weaponsmith and Artificer – all needed 12 golds from 0 to 400).

I say – no, thank you. Titles are there to show you achieved something, not spent 1hour with crafting booster near the proffesion station.

umm, over the past two days I went and got 4 lvl 400s.

here were the costs (I bought all materials)

Armorsmith – 5g
Weaponsmith -5.4g
Jeweler – 5.5g
Huntsman – 5g

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: mokaiba.4169

mokaiba.4169

I have no interest in the title “Master Crafter”, and it gives other players no information about what my current active crafts even are.

active crafts are irrelevant when you have mastered all of them and have that title.

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Account.9832

I have no interest in the title “Master Crafter”, and it gives other players no information about what my current active crafts even are.

active crafts are irrelevant when you have mastered all of them and have that title.

Really? So if your current active professions are tailor and artificer, you’ll be willing to pay the fee to activate chef just to cook one dish for someone you’ve happened to meet?

Also, it tells other people nothing about how seriously you take a specific craft and how likely you are to actually have rare recipes (as opposed to just having rushed it to 400 as quickly as possible, learning only the cheapest ones you could).

- Al Zheimer

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: spark.9685

spark.9685

I think it’s a good idea, but I would add a difficulty: having unlocked all possible recipes for the profession. That way it’d take more work than just standing at the craft station for an hour… And that would really mean you are a master and can craft anything.

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altom.2634

Altom.2634

I LOVE cooking! It was the first profession I maxed, I’ve almost (just need those pesky karma recipes) crafted every single recipe in-game so far, and even bought myself a chef costume. I’ve spent countless hours dedicated to my craft.

And my title is… Apprentice Toymaker. Hrmph.

I would LOVE to have a Chef or Cook title! What I think would be really nifty is if it were tiered (you start as apprentice) and you moved up the tiers based on the amount of kinds of dishes you’ve made (e.g. 20 common, 10 uncommon). The master tier, and consequently having the title, would obviously be the hardest (100 common, 50 uncommon, 20 rare, 10 master or something along those lines).

Just a thought. I just want a way to get it either way!

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

So I guess you’re against “Combat Healer” as well, because all it shows is that you spent a couple of hours reviving players and NPCs. Or “Master Crafter”, because all it shows is that you spent 8 hours levelling 8 professions (I’m sure you already have this one, right? After all, by your maths it’s so trivial to get!). Or “Been There Done That”, because all it shows is that you spent 2 days running around hitting map markers.

Oh, wait, that’s how you get pretty much all achievements and titles: By spending time playing the game, and some of them take more time than others.

Now, you might say that reaching 400 in a craft takes too little time (or too much time). Maybe you maxed out all your professions in the first day (I didn’t, I think most people didn’t). But that’s a separate discussion.

The issue here is: Shouldn’t the fact that you’ve reached the maximum possible skill level in a craft allow you to use that craft as a title for your character? Aren’t real life chefs typically called “Chef X”, even when they’re nowhere near the top of the skill ladder?

Besides, no one forces you to “wear” any title. If you think you “don’t deserve it”, don’t select it.

I have no interest in the title “Master Crafter”, and it gives other players no information about what my current active crafts even are. If I could wear “Master Chef” (or “Master Artificer”, etc.), other players I come across would know that I took that particular craft more seriously (seriously enough to pick it as my displayed title), meaning I probably have some recipes that most other chefs (or artificers, etc.) don’t.

It’s good for role-playing, it’s good for trading, and it has absolutely no downsides (except, apparently, making you angry because someone else got something that doesn’t affect you in any way).

Yey I spent 1hr getting the master crafting title. I so deserve 8 more separate titles.
/endsarcasm

The reason why I think this is an irrelevant suggestion is that getting a craft to 400 is way too easy to be deserving of a title. Sure you can argue that the mad king apprentice or the volunteer are also really easy, but they’re part of an in-game event, ergo, being more special and enticing more players to participate. They are not a form of reward to… reward people for their hard work.

Titles like Dungeon Master and Master Crafter are titles that DO reward people for their hard work. While it could be nice that you can have your individual crafting titles, its just too easy to get them, they’re not tied to an event, and giving them that way is not a proper way of rewarding people for their hard work.

See
“Oh you got an A in Calculus? Good job! You deserve a car.”
vs
“Oh you graduated Magna/Summa kitten Laude? Good job! You deserve a car.”
and tell me which one is more believable.

You are right it doesn’t affect me any way. Yet it sets a deadly precedent wherein even the most menial things are rewarded with such prestigious things like titles and in doing so, make acquiring them less rewarding and fulfilling.

EDIT: Oh god someone necro’d this thread >.>

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

(edited by penatbater.4710)

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

You get “Master Crafter” for getting all disciplines to 400. For little titles here and there, I dont think we will see that. Most titles take time to get so it’s something worked on not just “get this title for playing 100 hours” which is just passive.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

No titles for crafters?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altom.2634

Altom.2634

I didn’t see the date before I posted :x Oops. All I did was look up on Google if it was possible to get a Chef title, and this thread popped up and I jumped at it