Norn shapeshift forms for roleplaying purposes

in Suggestions

Posted by: DruonGrawal.3596

DruonGrawal.3596

I am a huge fan of the Norn, their lore and kinship to the spirits. Their shapeshifting forms are beautifully done in GW2 and add a nice spice to their racial elite powers. Sadly, due to being not a toggle skill, but a 30-second shapeshift, I can’t really use the animal shape for roleplaying purposes.

I can perfectly understand that for balance reasons we can’t have access to the skillset for an undefined length of time. But would it be possible to grant access to just the cosmetics, the visuals of the form, to allow for stories of our own while roleplaying the characters? It could be a non-combat thing similar to the town clothes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Colonel Kernel.7506

Colonel Kernel.7506

I was going to suggest adding it to the Town Clothes panel, so it could only be used when dressed in “civvies”.

No, no, not skivvies! Civvies!

in Suggestions

DruonGrawal.3596

Yes, that could give the whole town clothes panel some more usability. Maybe there are even more roleplay-related appearance events for the other races, too? Like toying around with a golem suit for our Asuran friends?

Back to the shapeshifting forms: I really would love for them to get more screentime. They are beautifully done – and finally with proper tails, something that I missed in serveral other games I played over the years.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Syphenion.5064

Syphenion.5064

Or…how about tonics sold in Hoelbrak that turn us into the Norn’s shapeshifted forms?

¸.•´¸.¤•*´¨) ¸.•*¨”˜`”°ºooº°””˜`”°ºooº°””˜`
(¸.•´ (¸.•Alloy~ Piken Square Roleplayer~

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Norn wolf is BA, but for some reason, i can’t move and attack with him. Is this intentional?

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ascari.2839

Ascari.2839

You also can’t dance in shapeshifted form. We tried to do a victory dance after defeating one of the world event bosses… wouldn’t do.

Cosmetic animal forms would be cool. It could even eventually include forms of the lesser Spirits. I’m sure Norn don’t just shapeshift into the forms of the four major Spirits.

Asura could get golems. Sylvari maybe glow or pollen as it is described in the books. Charr and Humans… hm… maybe someone else can think of something cool for them

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

It’d also help make them feel like they’re something other than ‘big humans’ considering how minor a part their shapeshifting appears to play. Though I think pretty much every ‘transformation’ ability could use a cosmetic option. Some people just enjoy dressing their characters up a certain way even if they don’t role-play!

in Suggestions

DruonGrawal.3596

Or…how about tonics sold in Hoelbrak that turn us into the Norn’s shapeshifted forms?

Tonics could be a way, but they would most likely be another money sink and take away space in your inventory. I would prefer to be able to roleplay whenever the mood strikes me, not only when I got the coin and/or mats at hand, so personally I would prefer a solution that has no mats involved.

I really like the idea to utilize the town cloth panel for special purposes. I am pretty sure you could find something for each race. The norn spirit forms are a given, but there could be a lot of other things – maybe big costumes for the humans who take part in the carnival. And I need to read up on that pollen/glow-stuff Ascari mentioned for the Sylvari.

in Suggestions

Posted by: thealienamongus.1968

thealienamongus.1968

I would love to do that (I prefer the town clothes panel idea over the tonics)

in Suggestions

Colonel Kernel.7506

Yeah, me too.

If it’s tonics anyone can use ‘em. It’s the Norn racial ability, lock it to the civvies panel for Norn only.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sigfried.4317

Sigfried.4317

this is a wonderful idea, i second this!

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I’d never play a Norn, personally, but I don’t believe in denying someone else the opportunity to be happy. +1

Sponsored by the Give the Role Players What They Want League

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daenji.5280

Daenji.5280

+1

In favor of providing toggle abilities that produce the effect. I’d like to see this restricted to the people who have unlocked the related skill though and only to Norns. I definitely prefer the town clothes idea over the tonic.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaiserin.4781

Kaiserin.4781

THIS, 100%. Would love to have the shapeshift available for fun and roleplay. Make it a town clothes sorta deal!

in Suggestions

Colonel Kernel.7506

I guess they are still too busy fixing bugs and hunting bots to start adding additional features yet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: garethedwards.8145

garethedwards.8145

To be honest the shapeshift and golem suit as cosmetics, sound like an awesome ideas!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Safire.9143

Safire.9143

Yessssss !!!!! agree

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

I guess they are still too busy fixing bugs and hunting bots to start adding additional features yet.

I don’t even think ArenaNet is monitoring this forum yet. There definitely aren’t any moderators merging threads.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Tonics would be the easiest solution to implement it, probably. Make then cost a few copper from a vendor in Holebrak, would work great.

in Suggestions

Colonel Kernel.7506

Tonics would be the easiest solution to implement it, probably. Make then cost a few copper from a vendor in Holebrak, would work great.

I am opposed to this idea. As I stated above, this is for the Norn racial ability. If it’s a tonic anyone can use it.

Furthermore, how quickly does a tonic run out? This is a feature that should be able to be turned on and left on indefinitely while the character is in town clothes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Why do I have the feeling this is a pro-yiffer thread……

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phasmophobia.5398

Phasmophobia.5398

I wouldn`t mind having the elites nerfed slighty to make the forms more permanent. I would seriously run around as a bear all day.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Sometimes lore makes rules, but often rules also make lore.

Norns can’t hold their form indefinitely. Svanir was the only one that has ever seen holding his form, and it was because of Jormag’s liutenant’s icy corruption.

If you roleplay as a Norn that shapeshifts, it would make sense to follow Norn rules, and don’t hold the form permanently, because very nasty things may happen if you do that. And we don’t want those very nasty things to happen.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daenji.5280

Daenji.5280

I consider your point valid MithranArkanere. Would you still object if it were something that expired and went on cool down after a certain period of time? The main thing to me is that it last a bit longer. I don’t personally require it to be indefinite.