Offencive Weapon Skin Symbolism

in Suggestions

Posted by: pew pew pokes q q.7816

pew pew pokes q q.7816

I am here because Ncsoft GMs told me to create a topic here in the forums suggestions so if this offends anyone don’t reply. I complained to them it would cause a stir and they wouldn’t listen so here I am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet <does this look familiar? Take a good look if you cant cuz its pretty obvious.

The new Zodiac Skins are amazing, I love most of them except for 1. The staff has a rams head on it, identical to the pagan god Baphomet. Its a mockery of every religion on the planet and it mocks Humanity as a whole. I find this disturbing to be seen on a Kids game which is rated E. I also find it extremely offensive. Its identical to the Occult symbols and shouldn’t be on this game. Needless to say it is a game with fake gods and a storyline but this actually represents real world Occult Symbolism which leads us to the real problem. Is there people in Arena.net worshiping this kinda stuff? And if so keep it out of the freakin game. Don’t design something that kids will see and accept as ok. Its evil and shouldn’t be messed with in any shape or form. Either you remove it or I WILL get this posted and aired. It wont be on some random, news network that no one will see either. The fact that you also allow guilds with Religious titles in the game is beyond me. I’ve submitted a ticket to Ncsoft over a month ago for a guild that was violating the TOS. They said they did an investigation and determined it wasn’t. Right! Come on, I know this subject is very touchy but it states

“The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you may NOT use, and apply to display, character, guild, and pet names.” ~ “Reference religious or historical figures”

Anet has clearly violated their own TOS, and Ncsoft has allowed this guild to get away with it as well since it clearly is in reference to a religion. I wont name the guild clearly but anet will know who I’m talking about.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Personally i LOVE the staff skin, it might even be my favorite in the WHOLE game. You are simply finding something offensive for no reason at all. After all it is a GAME.

The game talks about about gods, now they are as real as all the fictional gods in the real world does that upset me? No. Because i know it is only a game.

NOTHING has been violated, the skin to me looks nothing like that.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

Personally i LOVE the staff skin, it might even be my favorite in the WHOLE game. You are simply finding something offensive for no reason at all. After all it is a GAME.

The game talks about about gods, now they are as real as all the fictional gods in the real world does that upset me? No. Because i know it is only a game.

NOTHING has been violated, the skin to me looks nothing like that.

Then you are obviously mistaken then. Yes there has been a violation on Arena.nets part as they clearly state not to reference to religious “FIGURES” Occult symbolism with the Bearded Rams Head is a huge symbol kitten its used in rituals, made into jewelry and the rams skull is worshiped. Do some research sheesh.

Ya your right, the staff is beautiful and Id love it if it didn’t perfectly depict a occult symbol used in sacrificial rituals.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Unless, the ram head staff is representing a tyrian god what is the problem? Should elephant images be banned because of Ganesha?

One goathead will look like every other. seems to me that you are drawing connections where there doesn’t need to be. Look at the fawns in Narnia by C.S. Lewis. They are direct similarities to the greek god pan, who was latter described as how the classic Christian devil looks. But since they clearly aren’t the devil, there is no problem.

in Suggestions

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Then you are obviously mistaken then. Yes there has been a violation on Arena.nets part as they clearly state not to reference to religious “FIGURES” Occult symbolism with the Bearded Rams Head is a huge symbol kitten its used in rituals, made into jewelry and the rams skull is worshiped. Do some research sheesh.

Ya your right, the staff is beautiful and Id love it if it didn’t perfectly depict a occult symbol used in sacrificial rituals.

So because in your opinion it remotely looks like it they have broken their own ToS which is funny enough but calling it offensive is what gets me. You see it EVERYWHERE from TV, music, games, Films, Books so again because you for some reason find it “offensive” doesnt mean that everyone does and doesnt mean they broke the ToS.

“perfectly” really!?

in Suggestions

Posted by: AXEL.8362

AXEL.8362

Really? Sacrificial rituals? You watch too much tv. Even if it was used in “sacrificial rituals” that would make the staff even more cool lorewise. brb, getting one.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

Unless, the ram head staff is representing a tyrian god what is the problem? Should elephant images be banned because of Ganesha?

One goathead will look like every other. seems to me that you are drawing connections where there doesn’t need to be. Look at the fawns in Narnia by C.S. Lewis. They are direct similarities to the greek god pan, who was latter described as how the classic Christian devil looks. But since they clearly aren’t the devil, there is no problem.

So your excuse to brush this off is if other people have done it, its ok? No its not ok since this is clearly a game for KIDS. Ya it may look appealing but the actual representation is evil. Its like the satanic doctrine everyone seems to believe. Hell is just 1 giant party.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

Really? Sacrificial rituals? You watch too much tv. Even if it was used in “sacrificial rituals” that would make the staff even more cool lorewise. brb, getting one.

Yes actually it is, look up the Bohemian Grove. They worship an owl god and have the rams head all over the place there and apparently sacrifice a real human at their rituals.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

You eat pigs, you offend muslims.
You eat cows, you offend hinduists.
You don’t put your children to death when they swear at you, then you offend christians (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+20%3A9&version=ESV).
You happen to accidentally kill a bug by walking in the grass, then you offend buddhists.

Really.. It has gotten to the point where I simply don’t care anymore.
If I want a goat, I get a goat and then if you get offended by me playing with my goat, your problem.
If I want to eat cows or pigs, I do so.

That’s called freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
Your symbolism can’t rule me and it will not rule me.

And if we’re gonna discuss religion, The theory of everything (I believe it is) allows anything to be created without the need of a creator and still abiding to the laws of nature as we know them.
A universe can pop into existence from nothing. Positive energy is created spontaneusly but an equal amount of negative energy is also created to maintain the sum of 0.

So no god is needed to explain the universe, no symbolism is needed, the universe can be explained by a scientific theory that abides to the laws of nature as we know them.
Thus, your religion and symbolism offends me since I think they are untrue. But I won’t ask you to stop believing in santa because we have a freedom of religion and a freedom of speech and that’s how I want it because that’s democratic.

in Suggestions

ArmageddonAsh.6430

So your excuse to brush this off is if other people have done it, its ok? No its not ok since this is clearly a game for KIDS. Ya it may look appealing but the actual representation is evil. Its like the satanic doctrine everyone seems to believe. Hell is just 1 giant party.

So you think kids are going to see the staff and become devil worshipers or something? I would like to think that kids are smarter then that, knowing its a game set in a fictional world with gods i would think that it wouldnt turn them into satanists or anything

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

No, my reasoning is that there is nothing to brush off. Most everything we know of has been used in some type of religion throughout history. including goats, elephants, hawk hawks, wings, etc. why not ban it all? The answer is because it would be ridiculous to do so.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

So you think kids are going to see the staff and become devil worshipers or something? I would like to think that kids are smarter then that, knowing its a game set in a fictional world with gods i would think that it wouldnt turn them into satanists or anything

Kids are smart, smarter than most of us adults these days. Ya the excuse its just a game cant excuse everything that the developers slap into the game. They could get away with anything they wanted if everyone just used the reference “Just a Game”
There needs to be a line drawn at some point and this needs corrected.

in Suggestions

AXEL.8362

Hell is just 1 giant party.

Wasnt that Heaven? Sorry if my lore knowledge is a bit rusty but if hell is just 1 giant party…whats the issue with mr. Baphomet? I mean everyone says “you are going to suffer in hell” “you are going to hell”…but now its a giant party? Works for me.

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Yes actually it is, look up the Bohemian Grove. They worship an owl god and have the rams head all over the place there and apparently sacrifice a real human at their rituals.

So strike the Spirit of Owl from Norn culture. gte rid of snow owls flying around. etc. etc. native Americans venerated eagles. Cut them out. centaurs, minotaurs, phoenix, harpies come from ancient greek religion. Druids? Ancient celtic religion. Sylvari have strong influence form the Seely court. get rid of all of that.

actually the entire norn Spirit of the wild shtick is very similar to many native American societies. get rid of Norn. asura are reminiscent of imps which are demons. Cut them out. charr were ispired by the idea of demon-cats. Bye bye charr. Huamsn worship a pantheon reminiscent of many RL pagan religions. No more game left. Nothing to complain about.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Suggestions

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Kids are smart, smarter than most of us adults these days. Ya the excuse its just a game cant excuse everything that the developers slap into the game. They could get away with anything they wanted if everyone just used the reference “Just a Game”

The problem here is that YOU are finding something “offensive” doesn’t mean that:

1) is it Offensive
2) Anyone else finds it offensive

The fact that YOU are the ONLY person to post this kind of shows that no one else thinking the same, hell i didnt even know what Bapohmet was, i was trying to remember which of the Zodiac signs was a goat.

in Suggestions

AXEL.8362

I believe that you are kinda kitten ed because its against your particular religion but if we start cutting content we need to remove half of the game like medusas, harpies, minotaurs, eagles and any sort of tribal or pagan reference specially with Norms and Molten race.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

Wasnt that Heaven? Sorry if my lore knowledge is a bit rusty but if hell is just 1 giant party…whats the issue with mr. Baphomet? I mean everyone says “you are going to suffer in hell” “you are going to hell”…but now its a giant party? Works for me.

lol no. Clearly I will and still have an issue with the staff skin. It wont change ever nor will the meaning of my post change. If you cant “get it” then pls don’t respond.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capricorn_

Fancy having the Zodiac weapons feature animals based in Astrology and the stars.

As for getting it ‘posted and aired’, I’m pretty sure FOX News are the only ones that would take you seriously.

On another note, why aren’t you getting offended by the Snakes on the greatsword? They represent evil as well.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

The problem here is that YOU are finding something “offensive” doesn’t mean that:

1) is it Offensive

The fact that YOU are the ONLY person to post this kind of shows that no one else thinking the same, hell i didnt even know what Bapohmet was, i was trying to remember which of the Zodiac signs was a goat.

How about they are not online? Most of my friends I have are on 2 AM – 8 AM EST. Its as simple as that but eventually they will log on and support this issue I brought to their attention.

in Suggestions

AXEL.8362

lol no. Clearly I will and still have an issue with the staff skin. It wont change ever nor will the meaning of my post change. If you cant “get it” then pls don’t respond.

But you will be missing the giant party. Dont you want to come to the giant party?

in Suggestions

AXEL.8362

1) is it Offensive

How about they are not online? Most of my friends I have are on 2 AM – 8 AM EST. Its as simple as that but eventually they will log on and support this issue I brought to their attention.

Also dont forget to complain about every dragon in the game and of course the dragon inspired weapons because dragons are usually evil and associated with Satan in christian mythology.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

But you will be missing the giant party. Dont you want to come to the giant party?

Its not a party lol. Like I said its a satanic Doctrine that people with rose colored glasses will view as a great place to go if they love to party.

in Suggestions

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Also dont forget to complain about every dragon in the game and of course the dragon inspired weapons because dragons are usually evil and associated with Satan in christian mythology.

If i remember correctly, Dragons are actually in the bible as well…

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

@ pew pew: honest question, should we get rid of everything that can be related to any RL religion or not? because there is an awful lot of it in this game.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

Im clearly aware of all these game designed creatures having some type of mythology relation to some occult, religion or w/e. Ya your right about all the zodiac and norn creatures as well. BUT they are just animals. Its accepted that these people are in a storyline that have religions different from our own or if any. But the fact that there is a real world symbol IDENTICLE to a actual sacrificial idol people have killed other people over an alter for is just disturbing. People sacrifice new born babys in front of this rams head. The occult is nothing short of insanity. If you want to join it then by all means but keep it out of the game I & and Many others play.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Oh god. A satanic reference. We should petition to take the sheep off of the chinese zodiac guise.

EDIT:
vvvv

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Suggestions

AXEL.8362

But the fact that there is a real world symbol IDENTICLE to a actual sacrificial idol people have killed other people over an alter for is just disturbing. People sacrifice new born babys in front of this rams head.

The cross smybol has been used to burn people alive and Im sure you dont complain about people wearing one in the street.

Regarding the new born babies, care to post any link or source to your claims? Because your bohemian groove is nothing but old people drinking too much and doing a bit of theater. If it was true they would be in prison by now…

in Suggestions

ArmageddonAsh.6430

The cross smybol has been used to burn people alive and Im sure you dont complain about people wearing one in the street.

Regarding the new born babies, care to post any link or source to your claims? Because your bohemian groove is nothing but old people drinking too much and doing a bit of theater. If it was true they would be in prison by now…

as well as people getting crucified….

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Im clearly aware of all these game designed creatures having some type of mythology relation to some occult, religion or w/e. Ya your right about all the zodiac and norn creatures as well. BUT they are just animals. Its accepted that these people are in a storyline that have religions different from our own or if any. But the fact that there is a real world symbol IDENTICLE to a actual sacrificial idol people have killed other people over an alter for is just disturbing. People sacrifice new born babys in front of this rams head. The occult is nothing short of insanity. If you want to join it then by all means but keep it out of the game I & and Many others play.

If you want to give place to the occult by trying to eliminate any similarities to it, that is between you and God. But keep in mind, symbols are as powerful as you make them. people and children have been sacrificed over the image of bulls, and everything else. An image of a goat head being looked at from the front is only a symbol of baphomet if you descide it is. Not if it accidently resembles one. And since the symbol of baphomet is a goat head from the front, then that means we are restricted to only showing goats from the side or (the rear) :P. That would be giving place to the occult which would be counter active to your actual purpose here.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

But the fact that there is a real world symbol IDENTICLE to a actual sacrificial idol people have killed other people over an alter for is just disturbing. People sacrifice new born babys in front of this rams head.

No it is true, Look up Alex Jones news story on it. Bohemian Grove. There’s many references on google you can look up yourself where baby’s have been sacrificed over this idol. There was even an episode on Dr Phil where this woman’s father would kitten her at around 12-13 and her children when born were sacrificed by neighborhood folk who would take the child and cut it open in front of the rams head and burn it. Eating its flesh and drinking its blood. This kinda stuff happens all the time. And yes the Christian Symbol “WAS” Responsible for peoples death but that was during the which hunts.

Im not gonna respond to every post here and defend myself. My message has been posted and that’s all the comfort I need.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capricorn_

Fancy having the Zodiac weapons feature animals based in Astrology and the stars.

As for getting it ‘posted and aired’, I’m pretty sure FOX News are the only ones that would take you seriously.

Oh no! The devil’s in the sky! Everyone run underground!

And kidding aside,

1) OP If you take offensive to this, and don’t want your children to play, then don’t let them. It’s the parents responsibility to deem what is acceptable for their kids to watch/play (not television show creators or game developers). And to make sure their kids can understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Heck, I played diablo 2 when I was ~12 and that game has you killing the 3 prime evils. Also you take offense to something that you deem has a religious overtone (and don’t seem to have a problem with any of the countless more blatant overtones that many people have pointed out) yet you are fine in this game to kill thousands of people/creatures/animals.

2) To me, it just looks like a goat’s head on a staff. The only reason you’re seeing any similarity is because of the top of the staff going above the goats head, if that was on, say the shield for example you most likely wouldn’t have had any issues. And if you would have found problems with a simple goat head, I don’t know what to tell you.

3) Your sample size is most likely biased. You say ~30 people agreed with you. Well, 1) did you have to show them the wiki link first so they would even realize the similarity. 2) If they were all your friends you most likely have some sort of things in common, and if they also are affiliated with the same religious groups as you then they are a biased sample. 3) 30 people over the millions that play this game is nothing.

4) If this had come out as some sort of “religious pack” of weapons, I would maybe have to agree with you about a TOS violations (remember they can always change their own TOS too), but this is a throwback to a gw1 weapon set that is based off of the zodiac/constellations. Also, please ask yourself, if there was an “angel” (or whatever religious symbol is appropriate to your religion) weapon would you be complaining at all?

in Suggestions

ArmageddonAsh.6430

No it is true, Look up Alex Jones news story on it. Bohemian Grove. There’s many references on google you can look up yourself where baby’s have been sacrificed over this idol. There was even an episode on Dr Phil where this woman’s father would kitten her at around 12-13 and her children when born were sacrificed by neighborhood folk who would take the child and cut it open in front of the rams head and burn it. Eating its flesh and drinking its blood. This kinda stuff happens all the time. And yes the Christian Symbol “WAS” Responsible for peoples death but that was during the which hunts.

Im not gonna respond to every post here and defend myself. My message has been posted and that’s all the comfort I need.

“this kinda stuff happens all the time”
Yeah sure it does…

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

My message has been posted and that’s all the comfort I need.

seems like that is /thread then.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enryuu.9218

Enryuu.9218

reading all this is hilarious and ridiculous

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Ya your right about all the zodiac and norn creatures as well. BUT they are just animals.

Okay, and people still worship animals today (also a random goat, is also an animal).

Its accepted that these people are in a storyline that have religions different from our own or if any.

I think you just defeated your own argument right here, this is a game.

But the fact that there is a real world symbol IDENTICLE to a actual sacrificial idol people have killed other people over an alter for is just disturbing.

Insert just about every religious text ever (maybe without an alter though).

Oh no, it’s the sun! The Myans used to do exactly what you just said (and worse) for their sun god, quickly remove all instances of the sun from the game!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enryuu.9218

Enryuu.9218

btw im pretty sure a zodiac reference doesnt interfere with the terms of service referencing about “religeous icons” etc…

(edited by Enryuu.9218)

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Oh no, it’s the sun! The Myans used to do exactly what you just said (and worse) for their sun god, quickly remove all instances of the sun from the game!

actually, this is the best reasoning yet. people have been sacrificed to the sun on alters. and we see the hyleck worship the sun. So the next logical step is to get rid of the hyleck. But that is also ridiculous.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

this is by far the most ridiculous thread I’ve ever seen in my life

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Suggestions

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

alex jones seems a bit… eccentric

do you believe everything someone tells you? i can transform into a giant panda… its true… why would i lie to you?

you mean this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSVBTne-KY
there was a brochure with a picture
and they burned something he couldnt see, speculating that ‘it could be [a] real [baby]’

this thread is ridiculous; its obviously based on capricorn

(you’re not going to make a thread about the warhorn making players gay right?)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

Several postings that were against the rules of the forum have been removed. Please keep these rules in mind when posting to prevent that this thread needs to be locked.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

So because it has an animal head on it, it’s suddenly a reference to demonic entities? I don’t understand. It’s an animal on a weapon. How is the reference obvious? This is just ridiculous.

I’m Catholic by the way and see nothing wrong with animal likeness being used for weapon design inspiration.

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

Your catholic and obviously know nothing about the Occult then. Pls don’t post on here if you don’t research the material before judging and scrutinizing a subject your not familiar with then. Its a subject I’m well accustomed to dealing with. I understand its just a weapon skin to some, and most don’t even understand the concept behind the demonic Occult even if they practice it just because its cool or some cool person is into it for kicks to test their reality. But the fact that those whom “DO” know its purpose, and symbolistic reference should be the 1s posting on here instead of people just looking to start a fight. Which we all witnessed today sadly. I posted the reference picture for those of you who know nothing about the Occult to recognize the similarity just incase we did get trolls on here that would do everything they could to discriminate against the Offence taken.

You understand that, sure animal likeness is acceptable but why did they have to draw a Rams head with the Satanic Crown in the middle of it that looks EXACTLY like the Occult depiction that people IRL worship? Why not just take the crown off? Im not even talking about animals infact. I could care less if theres a Ram head on the staff but the fact it resembles the Bearded Ram with the crown is a mockery of you, me and everyone who is breathing the Air of free choice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Excuse me, but my god Cernunnos is sometimes represented in a similar manner.
It is not bad to be a pagan. It is as valid as your religion. Please, show some respect.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bugs.1287

Bugs.1287

i think there will be violation if they meant to offend someone, something, or a player use it in a bad manner that can cause harm..
releasing them give us an option. if it’s bad for you then don’t get one, but if it’s ok with you’re religion and like the zodiac skin then grab it not unless anet force us to use those symbol.. but no they don’t .. and by the way making this thread is also a violation this come to the point that we focusing on discussion a religion .. i love my freedom if you don’t like your’s then don’t play that’s all

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

Taken from the wiki link provided:
‘Since 1856, the name Baphomet has been associated with a “Sabbatic Goat” image drawn by Eliphas Lévi’
So in 1855 no-one gave 2 figs?
I read through the first post thinking ‘/tinfoilhat’…or that the OP was in some ways connected to the WBC (they’re all off their rockers!) – even went as far as comparing the staff head (thanks to dulfy) to the levi picture and, except for it being a ram’s head, i’m not really seeing the satanic mockery the OP is blabbing on about.
Yeah, it’s a ram’s head…but that’s about it – any other occult symbolism is clearly missing so i don’t exactly understand where the OP is coming from.
Maybe we’re all just being naive…or perhaps Anet is actually being run by baphomet occultists hell bent on feeding us subliminal messages for their own nefarious purposes – only the OP knows for sure.
A word of advice though…pop down off that high horse – the air’s not so thin down here.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Swords look like crosses, remove all swords naow.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Godwin’s law.

[/thread]

in Suggestions

pew pew pokes q q.7816

No ncsoft told me to post something on the Forums suggestions. So here I am. If anet has an issue with it, they should yell at the Ncsoft GM’s they are supposed to know what the heck their doing since they make the rules and punish people accordingly.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

They told you to post it to the forums because it doesn’t say anywhere in that guy’s contract that he has to deal with you or your incredibly silly ideas.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wyrm.2976

Wyrm.2976

Ok, in a game that contains a character called Zhaitan, you chose to be offended by a ram’s head on a stick?
Seriously though, religions are all basically stories, some people follow one story, some follow another, and more and more people choose to follow none at all.
Arenanet have done nothing wrong here, and if we have to tiptoe around every religion on the planet for fear of offending someone, the world is heading for disaster.

Thrax Wyrmclaw [Exss]
EU – Desolation