Offer a Subscription Option

in Suggestions

Posted by: BuGsY.7281

BuGsY.7281

Since 9/10 of you DON’T read posts completely TL:DR “cause it must be to long” We are not talking about changing to a sub model, the post is about adding another level of payment through the means of a subscription

I know I am going to get flamed so bad I may burst up IRL.

I would really like a subscription model """OPTION"""" for Guild Wars 2

Not for service but to cover Gem Store items and id pay the golden 14/month for a quality of life change.

Transmutation UI which cost gold
Hair Cut UI which cost gold
Unlimited Harvesting Tool
Access to a Banker Golem
Discount on Gem Store items
etc…

Stuff like that, of course it should only be for those who agree to a 6month contract.

There is no reason why the game “CAN’T HAVE BOTH” provided it’s done right.

(edited by BuGsY.7281)

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Never going to happen and nor should it.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cronnix.7541

Cronnix.7541

Why not? I mean, if you are going to comment against a suggestion, at least provide insight as to why.

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Why pay monthly when you can farm gold and get it? A minority will pay but will it cover the fee of creating the system ? Is it worth the time and effort ? You don’t need that much transmutation, you can get a permanent face changer with gold, unlimited harvest tool is on sale for 800gems only… and how long will you pay 14/month for not that much advantages ? With the actual economic situation, most people won’t. And if you want to support them, buy yourself every month 14 $ worth of gems.
From time to time I give in 8 $.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

No, just no. As a student I don’t have the money to pay each month for only playing on the weekend. The absence of a subscription model is the saving grace of this game and the reason it has a strong position on the market. Please go to the dozens of other MMOs using this, you’ll be happy there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

No, just no. As a student I don’t have the money to pay each month for only playing on the weekend. The absence of a subscription model is the saving grace of this game and the reason it has a strong position on the market. Please go to the dozens of other MMOs using this, you’ll be happy there.

You got him wrong, he was suggesting optional mensual fee that only gives small advantage regarding gem shop item.
Though I’m still against it.

(edited by The Sixteenth.2561)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Oh well, my bad for not reading carefully. Still against it.

in Suggestions

BuGsY.7281

Oh well, my bad for not reading carefully. Still against it.

No worries and ya It was an optional method. Perhaps ANet would even be able to get the sub money for development instead of NCSoft gobbling up every dollar from the Gem Store.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

Why not? I mean, if you are going to comment against a suggestion, at least provide insight as to why.

The original guild wars was a non subscription game from the start. Arenanet wanted gw2 to follow the same product model.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Anet has a strict policy against a monthly fee, it’s a horrible system regardless how you look at it and with the OP version it makes the game a bit to much P2W for my taste.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Games that use a free+sub model generally have to heavily favor the sub model in order to get people to do it leaving the free players in the dust . Such models are always a bad idea because of that so i am very much against this idea .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I know I am going to get flamed so bad I may burst up IRL.

I would really like a subscription model option for Guild Wars 2

Not for service but to cover Gem Store items and id pay the golden 14/month for a quality of life change.

Transmutation UI which cost gold
Hair Cut UI which cost gold
Unlimited Harvesting Tool
Access to a Banker Golem
Discount on Gem Store items
etc…

Stuff like that, of course it should only be for those who agree to a 6month contract.

There is no reason why the game can’t have both provided it’s done right.

So basically what you’re saying is:

1. You want to and are able to pay a monthly fee
  2. What you could currently get by buying $14 worth of Gems per month does not get you enough of the stuff you want

Nice to know. Why not just be honest and write another QQ topic about how Gem Store items (and permanent contracts) are overpriced?

But yes, as others have pointed out, something like this just doesn’t work. People who truly only wish to support the game aren’t out here asking for sub fees, they’re in there buying gems and spending it on things like Bone Picks on all of their 47 alts. A lot of people are under the impression that monthly fees are some kind of golden ticket that will instantly improve bug fixing and quality of content. I guess those people missed how many recent games were complete disasters because they tried for a sub fee.

And when you put in an optional subscription fee, every time you add in new content, you have to answer the question “how could we make this so that it’s slightly better for the subscribers?” And that’s when the subscription is optional only in name.

(edited by Olba.5376)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Not when those arguments have been provided billions of times already. The reason you can’t find those is because the search function on this forum is as smart as a bag of hammers.

I’m against this as well.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

Put simply what you want is a “premium account”?
Or rather from the items you listed more things for less gems/gold/cash per month.

Not gonna happen.

If you want you can buy 240 dollars worth of gems. That’s a years worth of 15 a month subscriptions from a single game. Buy what you can with the gems. That’s all you should be able to get.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tiriyon.8735

Tiriyon.8735

DIE IN FLAMES!
Just kidding,
I can’t see this model working well with the community and many might even leave the game feeling unappreciated enough as a non subscribers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

First off all No.
The reason is that people who pay these kind off subs often think they are treated differently by support, or have ‘more’ rights then other players.

However I do think that being a loyal customer should be rewarded. So I would not have any objection to a system where you get more bonus rewards when spending gems. In this case I’m talking bout e.g. the wind kite. But instead of just having spent real money on the game, you get rewarded if you bought an amount of gems. This can start very simple with e.g. a unique miniature for buying 20.000 gems in total with real money but could end with a 50% discount on gemstore purchases as a reward for buying 200.000 gems in total.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Heck last year I suggested they create a subscription type model where you pay $15 a month autopay, and Anet automatically put $15 worth of gems into your account. And people hated that idea. As soon as you put the word subscription in, people will hate it, even it as in my case provides zero advantage other than not needing to press buttons every month to give support money to Anet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

If the bean counters at Anet thought it would make the company more money they would have done it already. They are a business after all and the purpose of a business is to make money by providing product/service. If they can provide a subcript model for x product/service and make a profit, they will do it. They either haven’t figured out a way to make a profit this way or have already figured out it isn’t worth the investment to make it happen.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Suggestions

BuGsY.7281

If the bean counters at Anet thought it would make the company more money they would have done it already. They are a business after all and the purpose of a business is to make money by providing product/service.

I don’t know why everyone keeps saying Anet… Do you guys not pay attention to gaming sites or company news. Anet does not get the money from the Gem Store.

Say you have a really smart fish(Anet) and he can talk. You bring him to shows and he talks and makes you a crap load of money. While, you(NCSoft) make all the dough and every once in a while sprinkle some fish food into the bowl so your money keeps flowing.

But back to the subject. The Sub model, no matter how much you dislike, has been a solid staple to PC Gaming and MMOs. Store/Sub works. F2P… well that’s just a beast designed to bleed out its customers for the first year and then die off. There is not ONE successful MMORPG out there that’s is F2P. Sure they have success but its only long enough to line the handlers pockets before its funding is pulled and they move on.

So how do you measure success. Better yet, how do you measure unsuccessful games.

Copies Sold, average connections, years since release
3.5 Million Copies sold and most ever logged in the last year… 460+k thats not an average the this game at its peak. This game is beautiful, fun and engaging but when you feel like your being taken the cleaners for stupid kitten like Transmutation Crystals… it destroys what ever immersion you had left.

When your game turns into a Niche game, it slowing cannibalizes its self.

Just an FYI there is a reason why NCSoft is going subscription based/credd for Wild Star…

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/business-model/

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

If that would happen, that would mean no more GW2 for me – and I don’t think I’m alone saying that!

Kima & Co

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

Part of why I spend money in the Gem Store is to reward Arena Net for NOT having a monthly fee.

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

What is wrong with you OP? What is wrong with you paying $15 a month on the gemstore without Anet telling you?

You really want to feel obligated don’t you? Obligate yourself to spend $20 on gems every month and you will be fine.

BuGsy. Guild Wars 2 is Buy to Play. That means $ to buy the game and play forever.
Guild Wars 1 survived without a sub fee because of expansions so why cant GW2 survive through a cosmetic cash shop?

There are still F2P MMOs out there that still have their servers running(perfect world????). Who cares about success(it is not like you are making money off of the game)? If you are playing the game you obviously like it.

So stop it with the glorification of a Sub Fee…. it is a complete scam and unnecessary to keep a game running. A fictional scenario: game’s budget is $125 million selling the copy for $60 a pop. game sells 3 million copies. I’m pretty sure it just made budget and with its cash shop will continue to survive since it is a good game.

Assuming GW2 is a good game……., it should have no problem surviving.

in Suggestions

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

One easy answer, as others have stated, is because everything can be acquired for free with gold traded for gems, allowing players to play absolutely free (minus the purchase of the original disc) if they so chose. While your way demands they pay at least a monthly fee.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Suggestions

BuGsY.7281

If that would happen, that would mean no more GW2 for me – and I don’t think I’m alone saying that!

Why…

Why do people think a “Premium” account which offers certain vanity options like; Transmutation Crystals, Hair Cuts and other non pay to win items Free for a monthly fee will mean the death of the game or their interest in said game?

It’s not a subscription fee for service, it does not change the way you play the game or how you spend your money in the gem store. It just offers another level of payment which gives “Active” users commonly used items.

To reiterate for those who obviously DIDN’T read the post.

This is NOT a post to CHANGE the game to a SUBSCRIPTION model. It is a post to ADD another level of payment for frequently used gem store items that DO NOT impact your game or individual progression.

in Suggestions

BuGsY.7281

What is wrong with you OP? What is wrong with you paying $15 a month on the gemstore without Anet telling you?

You really want to feel obligated don’t you? Obligate yourself to spend $20 on gems every month and you will be fine.

BuGsy. Guild Wars 2 is Buy to Play. That means $ to buy the game and play forever.
Guild Wars 1 survived without a sub fee because of expansions so why cant GW2 survive through a cosmetic cash shop?

There are still F2P MMOs out there that still have their servers running(perfect world????). Who cares about success(it is not like you are making money off of the game)? If you are playing the game you obviously like it.

So stop it with the glorification of a Sub Fee…. it is a complete scam and unnecessary to keep a game running. A fictional scenario: game’s budget is $125 million selling the copy for $60 a pop. game sells 3 million copies. I’m pretty sure it just made budget and with its cash shop will continue to survive since it is a good game.

Assuming GW2 is a good game……., it should have no problem surviving.

I have edited my OP to emphasis and added a TLDR for those who are obviously incapable of reading a post before replying.

The above post applies to you as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bloody Knight Jack.2546

Bloody Knight Jack.2546

One easy answer, as others have stated, is because everything can be acquired for free with gold traded for gems, allowing players to play absolutely free (minus the purchase of the original disc) if they so chose. While your way demands they pay at least a monthly fee.

I’m not going to argue with this person’s point just wanted to add that to buy gems with gold will go up. So be ready to pay crazy amounts for anything you want.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

So, the only point of that kind of subscription would be to get loads of gemstore items a lot cheaper than what they would be normally?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

I’m confused. What’s the point of the premium account? To get more gem items for a less amount of gold?
How does saving you money help the game?

And even if it was a equal amount of gems to money as the non premium accounts what would be the point? Why not just buy the gems without being forced to every month?

(edited by Chaos.3579)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

The game’s core foundation has been (and hopefully always will be) that they can make a world class MMO without a subscription fee.

Even adding a subscription fee as an option would go against that core philosophy.

If ArenaNet chose to toss that aside just to add an optional subscription fee, I feel that would be the last straw for many players.

I vote a very large, NO for a subscription fee…..even if it’s just an option.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

The lemmings hear subscription and immediately start flaming, lol. Key word here is: optional.

If it gave me access to most the gem store items, I’d pay the 15/mo. Hell, it costs a lot more than 15 dollars to keep up with all the crap they put in there.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Neofelis.2856

Neofelis.2856

I can tell you why even an optional Subscription fee is undesired. Because it causes a two-class society (Community in this case). If you payd attention in School about politics and philosophy, you will know that the main reason for tensions within a society (community) is very often the gap between the “wealthy” and “poor”. That applies also to an optional Subscription for an MMO, it creates a gap between Subscribers and non-Subscribers, which results in tensions. Some people who cannot afford the optional Sub will feel neglected and unwelcome; many of them will therefore leave (and sometimes their friends and families might as well).

This might or might not make sense to you, but at the bottom line; it is true, regardless.

If you are further interested in this kind of stuff I also suggest to read some Marx; he had explained a very similar scenario in his books. And in case you are biased about Marx, there are plenty of other philosophers that wrote about the same stuff.

Optional Subsriptions / Premium Accounts are kind of worse than a Subscription-only model.
Therefore I would not be very supportive of your idea.

(edited by Neofelis.2856)

in Suggestions

NO SUBSCRIPTION EVER!!

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

BuGsY.7281

Optional Subsriptions / Premium Accounts are kind of worse than a Subscription-only model.
Therefore I would not be very supportive of your idea.

If that’s the case then NCsoft new Wildstar is already doomed. The idea’s are almost the same.

You say it will split the community, how? The model I suggested is not tide to content, special classes, cool finishers… unlike other MMO’s. Its tide to commonly used items IE. Transmutation Crystals, Hair Cuts.

The problem its not afford… Its justify.

Player A
Likes to seek out cool new outfits (a major part of this game) but only plays 2-3 times a week for about 2-3 hours each time. They don’t play enough to acquire much gold or Crystals. They have to justify each time they wish to see their character in a new outfit or with a new hair cut. The amount of time they spend in game doesn’t justify the cost. The door is closed to them because of common sense.

Player B
This player is just like Player A, they like changing their character but they are very active. They can trade Gold of Gems, buy Crystals and other Gem store item without having to dip into their wallet. A premium account would help them if they constantly changed their look but they can make that choice and it has little to no impact.

Player A does not have that choice. They are the target for this model. Player A can’t justify spending 15$ to change their look so they don’t. But if player A could spend 15$ a month and have access to a Transmutation UI and Hair UI that allowed this at no cost… well that’s a different story. You add in a convenience factor.

Player A can be more casual but still have the same desires. They may even stop playing for weeks at a time. Guess what still comes in… the 15$ a month. Why? Because Player A knows that when ever they want to log in, they have that convenience to do what ever they want.

(edited by BuGsY.7281)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

NCsoft will have the best of both MMO models w/Gw2(b2p mt) and Wildstar (p2p) is out.

JQ Druid

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

So since the OP wants gem store discounts, are they hoping for more or less than what $14 of gems would get them?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

What the OP suggestion sounds like is a gem store membership that would guarantee discounted item costs with annual or semi-annual membership; something like a costco membership, which doesn’t sound too bad.

in Suggestions

We do not need any argument or debate to prevent changing what we like to something we do not like.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I used to think this game was worth the subscription fee , but as the months rolled by , the content they came out with along with the gem store items just did not seem worth it to me . So far gw2 hasn’t came out with quality content therefore I chose not to pay , If I’m gonna pay a sub it would be a different mmo .

in Suggestions

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Games that use a free+sub model generally have to heavily favor the sub model in order to get people to do it leaving the free players in the dust . Such models are always a bad idea because of that so i am very much against this idea .

I played a small MMO for years that tried to do both models. They started out as sub (FTP with subbing unlocking most of the endgame) and later added some micropayment servers. They tried to be fair and equitable to both kinds of payment models: things that were limited to subscribers were limited to “gem store” purchases on the other servers. They wouldn’t put things on one server that couldn’t be implemented on the other kind.

10 years later, they’ve all but given up on the sub server. It’s almost completely dead. It’s almost impossible to do content that requires 20 people in a group. And there’s not even an option to transfer your character to a different server: you have to start from scratch if you want to change payment models.

Sure, there’s several diehards with 4 or 5 subbed accounts who never ever want to switch payment models, but the vast majority flow of the game is to the truly FTP servers where you can exchange gold for that game’s version of gems. Given the option of subscribing versus micropayments, people tend to opt for the latter. It’s probably not viable to the sub model to have both options in the same game.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

I used to think this game was worth the subscription fee , but as the months rolled by , the content they came out with along with the gem store items just did not seem worth it to me . So far gw2 hasn’t came out with quality content therefore I chose not to pay , If I’m gonna pay a sub it would be a different mmo .

No game is worth a sub fee. A sub fee is an idea that Sony made for their greed. A game’s quality is not dependent on a sub fee. There is a reason why most MMOs go free to play. Money isn’t everything.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

No game is worth a sub fee. A sub fee is an idea that Sony made for their greed. A game’s quality is not dependent on a sub fee. There is a reason why most MMOs go free to play. Money isn’t everything.

There are games worth their sub fee and I’m playing one right now along with GW2 and not all MMO’s has gone free to play .